The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Huh?  The sign might say "floor 5" but there's no getting around the fact that you are still on the 4th floor!

The only surefire remedy would be to seal it off.

IIRC one building I worked in used the 13th floor for building purposes and it wasn't accessible from the public elevators.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

24 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What's uglier than a Tesla Cybertruck?

A Tesla Cybertruck covered in a garish vinyl wrap.

image.png.b1a8bc63b30f98d49c0271d8450ad348.png

Yay for living in a right hand drive market with Design Rules that don't cater for drive by wire..   As a result we save 3 car parking spots per vehicle!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I managed to survive last night's dinner, my friend who invited me clearly knows me well enough to suggest I sit next to an elderly Yorkshire man who went to Singapore 50 years ago to start his own oil company  and was delightful company. We passed the evening in a most pleasant way saying b*ll*x to everything, splendid!

The food was as expected.  Awards ceremony dinners are like Christmas party dinners, venues know most people are there to 'network' and be seen as up and coming go getters (or because they are expected to be there), or there to get drunk and act like asses as applicable.  So they don't really have to impress with the food. Made worse by the fact they all know that all the alternatives are in the same boat playing the same game. The Shangri La has some superb restaurants and eating there in other circumstances would be a real treat, but catering for several hundred guests at a gala dinner they just go through the motions.

The British High Commissioner was there, I did think about answering some of his questions about the state of the world and shipping honestly when we had a brief chat but decided otherwise. Not only might it have embarrassed my hosts, he seemed a nice fellow and gave the impression of being in the same boat I was, I.e. he would rather have been doing something else but had to be there.

The taxi home highlighted one of the downsides of Singapore. Taking a taxi in London is often an educational experience,  as passengers recieve a philosophical monologue on right wing politics and why they should be strung'up. Alas my driver last night just took me home.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'm surprised none of you suggested live impalement. The Ottomans allegedly did it on stakes in the Bosporus. 

Hmm.

But thinking about it, as exemplary as these punishments may be, they don't have any real psychological impact. So I'm thinking "Disappearance" and state initiated rumour, as in "you know Fred Bloggs, up to his neck in the XXX scandal, but they couldn't prove anything? Well he's disappeared, the Police and the authorities say that they know nothing and his colleagues and family are going frantic"

Drop a few hints along the lines of "The regime is rumoured to be disappearing high profile miscreants - although this is strongly denied by PB's government department" and watch panic ensue in certain quarters..,

p.s. we can keep the entertaining punishments for the common or garden "nasty scrote"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear has a new acquisition:

"Poole Quay by Gaslight"

image.png.3b06d89c190c30b4075d25f126d47b27.png

- a purchase from the Warehouse; I often look at the piccies and this one just grabbed me.  It's a big piccy (34" x 24" framed) - the frame does it no favours though, so if I decide I like it enough (likely) I'll re-frame it; it's unusual in that it has the appearance of an oil painting (it's unglazed accordingly) but I'm sure it isn't - different sized versions are available on the 'bay & net.

Can't get to sleep.  Can't get this image out of my mind's eye.  Am positively haunted by it.  The moon and clouds bit is good...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Taking a taxi in London is often an educational experience,  as passengers recieve a philosophical monologue on right wing politics and why they should be strung'up. Alas my driver last night just took me home

Up until covid killed it it  was  traditional in Australia for solo  blokes  to ride in the front with the driver -  sitting in the back gave you an air of being up yourself, like you were being chauffeured around and the old-school  drivers could get a bit sarcastic about you!

Women were free to choose front or back. 

We still got right wing radio and hang' em high comments though,  along with  opinions on the body bits of various lady pedestrians we drove past.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

although this is strongly denied by PB's government department" and watch panic ensue in certain quarters

Isn't  he that bloke who's scared of spiders?  "everyone falls around laughing" would be more likely!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

11 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Up until covid killed it it  was  traditional in Australia for solo  blokes  to ride in the front with the driver -  sitting in the back gave you an air of being up yourself, like you were being chauffeured around and the old-school  drivers could get a bit sarcastic about you!

Women were free to choose front or back. 

We still got right wing radio and hang' em high comments though,  along with  opinions on the body bits of various lady pedestrians we drove past.

Over here we don't get much choice, at least not in The Metropolis - black cabs are still arranged so that passengers can only go in the back, and minicab/ private hire drivers always travel with the fron passnger seat pulled all the way forward.  The last two times I've gone in the front, have been occasions when I have seriously thought that it would be better to swap places with the driver and risk getting caught driving w/o insurance rather than to allow them to continue as they were.   Which brings me to my next...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

37 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Hmm.

But thinking about it, as exemplary as these punishments may be, they don't have any real psychological impact. So I'm thinking "Disappearance" and state initiated rumour, as in "you know Fred Bloggs, up to his neck in the XXX scandal, but they couldn't prove anything? Well he's disappeared, the Police and the authorities say that they know nothing and his colleagues and family are going frantic"

Drop a few hints along the lines of "The regime is rumoured to be disappearing high profile miscreants - although this is strongly denied by PB's government department" and watch panic ensue in certain quarters..,

p.s. we can keep the entertaining punishments for the common or garden "nasty scrote"

I apologise to all who do not follow The Archers, and anyone who does but listens at lunchtime should not read the rest of this.  Several blank lines entered below to force text down.

Edited - CARP!  Didn't realise you can't hide text that way.

Will resend that part of my rant after Sunday's Omnibus, if I remember.

Edited by Chris Snowdon
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

59 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Isn't  he that bloke who's scared of spiders?  "everyone falls around laughing" would be more likely!

Aren't you the Scofflaw, Chimpey.

Well, you're now obviously "on the list" then

ps PB's "dishing it out", not taking it. I am certain he will have enough LEOs around him to protect him from nutters armed with spiders and snakes 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morning all.

We pretty much reduced our drinking by about 90% over the last six months, we had a couple of drinks while on holiday last week but nothing this week and we never drink at home now. This has pushed us into going to bed earlier (10pm) and reading, which I’m really enjoying, but I do sometimes wake up quite early - 5am yesterday and today for example.

Unfortunately I put the phone on sleep mode two minutes before the texts arrived saying that the Northern Lights were visible last night... 🤦‍♂️

In other news (that may or may not be related to strange sky based phenomena), I bought a cheapo 3D printed oil tank the other day, made a little plinth for it and painted it up for my new O gauge project. But it’s gone, and I mean really really gone.

I’ve looked everywhere for it. I’ve tidied all the tools up, emptied the shed out, pulled the cupboards out, looked at least twice in all the places there’s absolutely no chance (but maybe just the faintest chance) it could have ended up, looked in my shoes, blamed my daughters dog, looked into the eyes of the cats and couldn’t see any signs of shiftiness (apart from the normal levels), looked in the garden in case it was the dog. I’ve even said to Mrs C that if she’s stood on it by mistake and has hidden it from me to save her embarrassment that I can easily buy another one, but please please tell me because I actually think I’m going mad!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Due to other lights in the sky and cloud we only glimpsed the Northern Lights last night. Pah!

Rather than keel hauling a quick trip around a submarine while itbis submerged would be entertaining for some.. andvyes we have a few of them now..

I thought Vlad was the impaler.. not someone to get the wrong side of!

Off out to celebrate her indoors and my new family member through marriage birthday at a nice Italian restaurant tonight. Pizzas are nice (and no I don't have fries with pizzaL but there looks like a seafood linguine lurk8ngnon the menu..

Time for a mugatea then.. onwards and upwards..

Have a good day!

Baz

I was talking to my sister at my sons wedding - she's moved up the North Coast so I've not seen her for a while.  Given the bloodlust on here for those in senior positions I won't mention that she is a big poobah in the Australian Frangipani Society.   But anyway, she has joined a camera club and was saying about how her latest assignment was to photograph stuff on her drive to work, and that I should give it a go because it makes you look at things in a different way or something.

I told her that no one would  want to see photos of potholes and skittled wombats  but she suggested I give it a go anyway and so as today was a quiet morning I did.

The Rurality - 

P1240636.JPG.ef823a42767d9f341f2cd429358487dd.JPG

Well, you can have more than one size spanner or screwdriver, so why not mowers?

P1240637.JPG.fed6c649ead3d464be9ca2b3cb2960a8.JPG

Waterhen, Little Corellas and a wood duck -

P1240652.JPG.d997cd4d9b3e00b044628c0c0f6e7e4b.JPG

Corellas In The Mist!

P1240640.JPG.bbdd2722a69dfdd2f85f1ac1c86aef7e.JPG

Due to harsh weather and whiteants iron was a much used construction material in place of wood, but jeez it must have been hot in these country halls and churches dressed in your Sunday best - 

P1240657.JPG.054059686888257ff4c8978a1c15fcad.JPG

Going on The Long Walk - 

P1240659.JPG.c225bc9212c64e1390f326c89f97291f.JPG

Edited by monkeysarefun

You know its a dry country when  "Moderate" is the lowest fire rating - 

P1240669.JPG.46b894c461780610b518ed05c6cf9d96.JPG

Rural letterboxes - 

P1240671.JPG.1d6f7b06e9b00dbaa4611956069b78ca.JPG

Yeah typical , what OTHER animal would think its poo was worth money?

P1240666.JPG.987bffc718c6ad016b01568bc86070c7.JPG

Oh, apart from ducks!

P1240661.JPG.3d3351891746681c5daa62c94355d556.JPG

Wildlife Test:  Are they Wallabies........or are they 'Roos?

P1240689.JPG.529909b1b426978e5b3f4d726e84b828.JPG

P1240690.JPG.27cf85762dbf1bdf9726cda678f13862.JPG

Roadside Relics -

P1240665.JPG.ceff75756fb7f57ea95d6ee802a3bf61.JPG

P1240698.JPG.8da5b621499547a4cc11f921776fedaf.JPG