The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Obviously @Dave Hunt the ER RDF has spotted  the large missile laden  aircraft you are flying as you approach and fills the ether with window.....

@southern42 @PupCam @New Haven Neil@Gwiwer

To be correct this side of the pond I've corrected it for you.

You'll be talking about TRAIN stations next.. old boy..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It isn’t raining. 
I have spent a couple of days going up and down ladders installing cameras. I am not used to such activity and nearly everything hurts this morning. 
I hope the drive round to Enfield will help, the car seats are very comfy, and I can get in with back ache and it goes by the end of a trip to London. 
We usually have croissants for breakfast on Sunday but will be having toast this morning. I won’t bother to photograph it. Lunch has been prepared to take over to MiL’s, it will be dal and rice with assorted vegetables. Mil said she will cook a meal for us but will have forgotten. It is forecast to rain about the time we return but that probably reduces the traffic towards Southend. 
Have a nice day.

Tony

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

As it happens the absence of @Gwiwer has been explained elsewhere on the Internet. Hopevyou feel anlot better soon Rick!

Still very firmly in bed but no longer requiring the daily attendance of ambulance crews. 

I’ll get there. A lot of my diary has been cancelled. A number of favours have been called. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

It's been raining but has just stopped.  Real rain is supposed to arrive this evening, until then it will be cloudy most of the time.

I have a sore arm, the one which had the flu jab and I didn't sleep too well because I turned over, lay on it and woke several times.  It's a lot better than having flu!  I also had some unpleasant dreams but cannot now remember the details - perhaps it's as well.

Church this morning then I am planning a quiet day so I expect something will happen whicvh will need dealing with.  If I want to do anything I may start removing the tomato plants as they are beginning to get more mould and the tomatoes are no longer ripening.  It is time to bring the last few into the house and put them on the kitchen window sill - or put them in the bin as they usually end up wizened and I won't do anything with them as I do not like green tomato chutney.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

20 minutes ago, BoD said:

Thanks @Barry O, Baz.

I’m just getting ready to set off for my shift at Ormesby Hall, (National Trust).

No rest for the wicked, as they say.

Dedication that what's that is. None of this pullin' a sickie like the younger generation (and the older on occasion) have been known to do.

Happy birthday young man.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Morning all.

It isn’t raining. 
I have spent a couple of days going up and down ladders installing cameras. I am not used to such activity and nearly everything hurts this morning. 
I hope the drive round to Enfield will help, the car seats are very comfy, and I can get in with back ache and it goes by the end of a trip to London. 
We usually have croissants for breakfast on Sunday but will be having toast this morning. I won’t bother to photograph it. Lunch has been prepared to take over to MiL’s, it will be dal and rice with assorted vegetables. Mil said she will cook a meal for us but will have forgotten. It is forecast to rain about the time we return but that probably reduces the traffic towards Southend. 
Have a nice day.

Tony

Been there done that. You have my sympathy.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning, the rock of residence weather is officially declared 'yeuch'.

I see the surveillance network of @Debs.is working well, seems I was right not to post here!  I know when I'm beaten.

Really enjoyed @southern42 Polly's photos of Bodnant Gardens, one of our places to always try to visit when in the area.  Somehow it is nearly always raining though.....because Wales I suppose.

A Habppy Incept day to @BoD too, have a great day at Ormesby, been years since we were there.

OK off our for a brew with friends instead of Squelchy Archery - it really isn't the day for that!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Went to our local Post office in the local shop. Bought two books of first-class stamps before the price goes up on Monday. Still staggered at how much they cost at the current price...

We get our mail picked up from home, now. It saves the walk down and back up the hill to the postbox or trip to town so, it looks like we are stuck with the new price increase.

@New Haven Neil Posting on here last night came up with one of the 'not available' messages but at least it did get there in the end!

Well, ' morning all from red dragon land.

A brief spell of sunshine, here, but since it is still soaking wet out and dark clouds are looming, it remains to be seen if I can have my mugadecaf time outdoors this morning.

Plan today is to take it easy just in case yesterday's jab tries to knock me down. The arm is ok - a lot better than it has been in the past - so no direct effect on my TOTF🎶 so far. 

With two new flutes on order, I decided to only use the better flute while I wait for them to arrive. I was using the other flute for the new music because the holes are larger and slightly further apart - better suited to the new lower key flutes, but getting a nice enough sound out of the higher notes was not happening! Feeling much happier, now.

Think I will have an early mugadecaf while the sun is still about.

Take care. Be good. Go with the flow.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Here it seems to be "best before."

I'm campaigning to have 3 dates:

Best before

Adequate until

Fatal after.

Hmmm

How about the following (thinking aloud here)

• iD will eat it
  • PB will still eat it
  • Even PB won’t eat it

I guess that would cover all eventualities…..

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

To be correct this side of the pond I've corrected it for you.

You'll be talking about TRAIN stations next.. old boy..

And if that happens…. Well, that would be nothing for it but to drum him out of ER and send him into exile someplace where “train station“ is considered as “normal” (shudder) - perhaps to the BBC or most any other media empire.

By all means use the terminology you wish (I mean, not everyone would agree that a Sprinter was actually proper passenger rolling stock), but <Train Station> is the thin edge of the wedge. We let that go, what next? “Steam Trains”? “Customers” instead of “passengers”?

This insistence on using traditional railway terminology may seem pedantic, but isn’t pedantic what we r*****y m*******s really do well?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

send him into exile someplace where “train station“ is considered as “normal”

Here for instance .

IMG_0305.jpeg.449aed22c103aa24330aea7484416fa0.jpeg

• Round of applause 7
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Back home after a very uneventful journey, everything like clockwork. I was slightly disappointed the flight attendants were very professional after my Air China flight in June with Uncle Roger's ex-wife Auntie Helen in charge. That was great fun and so much more memorable than everything being highly polished.

Changi airport annoys me, the reason it annoys me is that if they operate a major airport in which it is normal to be at the taxi stand within ten minutes from cabin doors opening then so could every other airport if they wanted to. This was my first experience of no passport entry, it just uses facial recognition. I was pleasantly surprised by how fast and easy it was. Changi is not a small airport, it's huge, and gets huge numbers through quickly and efficiently from multiple A380, 777, A350 etc arrivals.

Amazingly, my last few arrivals into LHR and LGW have been very painless, quick and efficient.  My last experiences at Frankfurt, Brussels and Copenhagen were dire. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

I have a sore arm, the one which had the flu jab

Exactly the same here - but it's far better than getting 'flu. Won't prevent getting it, but the risk is lessened and the severity likely diminished. 

Slow to start this morning. Coffee is still being consumed.which may help.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Looks more like a 1930s aircraft hanger...

Are you only allowed to go to only one of two destinations?

It is the station at Southend  Airport. We have met people who having bought a flight to “London Southend”  are surprised that they are not already in London. It does go to Shenfield and Stratford where many exciting choices of onwards routes can be made. 

Edited by Tony_S
Shenfield not a city in Yorkshire that the spellchecker selected
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bladder control must have been on piece work last night, my fault for having a drink before bedtime, still got a good seven hours worth of ZZZ's though. Rather overcast and gloomy this morning but rain not expected until later but as I'm staying in today it doesn't matter.

• Friendly/supportive 6

11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bladder control must have been on piece work last night, my fault for having a drink before bedtime, still got a good seven hours worth of ZZZ's though. Rather overcast and gloomy this morning but rain not expected until later but as I'm staying in today it doesn't matter.

Perhaps a case for Health Warnings on Beverages supplied to Gentleman (ahem!) "of a certain age".....

"It's nearly bedtime, are you sure?" 🤔

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

It is the station at Southend  Airport. We have met people who having bought a flight to “London Southend”  are surprised that they are not already in London. It does go to Shenfield and Stratford where many exciting choices of onwards routes can be made. 

Didn't know that Tony. Quite an effective (and appropriate) design then. 

Essex 1 - PK 0

• Like 5

Currently imbibing at the Far Yeast Brewing Company (craft beer pub sort of thing) near my hotel in Gotanda. Great beer:

IMG_5022.jpeg.b445e3bb1b6049e9bd64bfce4f860511.jpeg

And plenty of DEEP FRIED CRUNCHY THINGS:

IMG_5025.jpeg.06545991a2aafd1375b0226704cc7f3a.jpeg

For dinner I had Japanese Soss and Mash and VERY good it was as well (3 types of soss)

IMG_5024.jpeg.7ed0a9c40b2ed88686fdf106960a931c.jpeg

After fighting a really beastly cold I am slowly returning to normality (or at least what passes for normality for me)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1