The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

Yes - 'cheap frames', whether paintings/prints or other artwork are often popular. And tapestry work can attract serious interest - when I was looking to rehome my grandmother's work, someone drove 50-odd miles to collect (via Freecycle). Having worked in a heritage railway's fundraiser (sorry awl!) I was often surprised at what sold. Freecycle is free, so you can always ask/try. 

Sorry for my long-winded last one - In short, I agree with White Rabbit!

regards

cs

• Like 11

Posted by a friend

At the dinner table earlier;

Friend; oh that’s Paddy from Emmerdale.

Her daughter: what’s that ?

Friend; soap opera. Like Eastenders or Coronation Street.

Daughter: oh is that the one on that street with a black door and the number 10 on it??

Friend; crying laughing!!!!!! Yes I guess Downing Street is like a soap opera so why not

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

I was in a Walmart store today - in western Canada! - and the muzak started to play  “Hippy Hippy Shake” by the Swinging Blue Jeans. There’s a blast from the past!

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Every morning I do the NY Times Wordl, I've not only got the word on the second or third attempt but I've beaten the bot on six successive tries

Good luck keeping that streak up today - it reckons it got it in 2 goes...

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Two more views:

Flavio, do you know where that ferry operated?  And in which period it operated?

I'm wondering if it is the Seikan N.R. rail ferries that crossed the Tsugaru Strait from Hokkaido to Honshu.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

43 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Flavio, do you know where that ferry operated?  And in which period it operated?

I'm wondering if it is the Seikan N.R. rail ferries that crossed the Tsugaru Strait from Hokkaido to Honshu.

The period, according to the information plate, was 1930 - 1945 and it was a freight service. I don’t recall what the ports of call were.

As I am back in Tokyo from the 14th onwards (I’m in Hokkaido 7th - 14th) I may just return to the museum (I was fighting jet lag yesterday) if I do, I’ll get better pictures and also photograph the passenger service ship run by one of the Japanese Railways.

Edited by iL Dottore
Correction of texts
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

The period, according to the information plate, was 1930 - 1945 and it was a freight service. I don’t recall what the ports of call were.

I was guessing they might have been the Seikan ferries. Their service did end in 1945. The major freight was coal.

#2 Seikan Maru entered service in June 1930.

During July 14-15, 1945, eight of the twelve, Seikan N.R. rail ferries operating in the Tsugaru Strait between Hokkaido and Honshu (ports were Hakodate and Aomori) were sunk by carrier-borne aircraft from four carriers* of US Task Force 38. Two were beached and two under repair were damaged.

This had great strategic significance as it dramatically curtailed coal supplies (by an estimated 160,000 tonnes monthly) to Honshu and meant that the Japanese ability to prosecute the war was effectively limited.

No coal - no heavy industry, no electricity, etc.

* USS Essex, USS Randolph, USS Bataan, USS Monterey. Very detailed official report here.

A week or so later on July 24-28, Task Force 38 (along with Task Force 37**) would attack and damage almost all the remaining capital ships of the IJN at Kure.

** Ships, including aircraft carriers from the British Pacific Fleet (like HMS Indefatigable) which joined Task Force 38 on July 16.

• Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a rock that is dawning, or something similar. 12C and windy, however dryness encourages the Old Farts bike club run out for a brunch to happen, I have to get flu-jabbed first though.  Normal one, not Wu-flu, which seems to have fallen out of favour here, unless 'over 65' which they interpret as 66, not 65 1/2 which I am!

Think I'll take the old BMW out, (it has indicators that work) not ridden it for ages but my foot is feeling OK today and it needs a run.  The gear-change on it is a struggle with the mashed foot but you don't need to change gear often as it is a torquey old beast.  Shan't be going too far though, as I'll pay for it in pain afterwards.

• Friendly/supportive 17

12 minutes ago, Cowley 47521 said:

I hear that this is the place to post if you’re up early..?

We’re away in our van at the moment and I took this photo of an old tin mine chimney near Cape Cornwall half an hour ago that I thought I should share:

IMG_1888.jpeg.3f9f5fffc2b7aad60919232daf0497b3.jpeg

A genuine early riser! 🤗 🤓 

Enjoy a lovely day. 🙋‍♀️

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, BoD said:

I have visited both and enjoyed both.

I’m not sure why people seem to have such a ‘downer’ on them.

I suspect it's the knowledge of what they once were, as well as "what they could be"; the Science Museum in London in London is a prime example of that (the different between what it was in 1992 and what it is now almost reduced a hard-as-nails Poly to tears.....).

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

4 hours sleep, short to middlin awake, 3 hours sleep.

Swmbo had a massive oven cookout yesterday, so I've just been washing a big pile of big oven trays, silicon flats used for freezing stuff on etc.. there still more to do but I've run out of places to dry it all on.. Sadly no cake was involved... But we had a very good roast dinner last night..

Breakfast has been had, sarnies made, shortly I'll get suited and booted for the museum..

But first..

Time to sort the stove for the day.. ashes out, fake coal in..

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

On the subject of 'third class travel' or as a marketing person might euphemistically say, 'open air premium class', I'm going to dredge up old memories and upset the awl... 

Screenshot2024-10-03183720.png.be5f224e43c932378187dc838aa02e35.png

Screenshot2024-10-03184014.png.4c66ade70176d16329d11ba5cc542e6b.png

A chilly day but great views! 

Shame about the passengers falling off but we collected them all on the way back. 😉 Secure seating and handholds were reserved for train crew only! 

Seriously, we did have comments and some requests to run 'topless specials'... if only! 

On a slightly less controversial/puckish note, in the UK we have the Welshpool and Llanfair [narrow gauge] railway, they operate balcony coaches and the journey down/up the line on the end balcony is something special, even for non-railway enthusiasts. 

I used to volunteer as a guard on the Ratty and in decent weather the opens, we're fabulous to ride on with great views and if you were lucky a sight of the buzzards hunting on Muncaster Fell. 

Good moaning from a sunny but chilly Charente.  One weed patch was mowed yesterday and two more to go today. Then various other tasks. 

Ttfn. 

Jamie

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

A late return last night from a cricket meeting in Newton le Willows meant I have slept like a log.

Only 1 minor hiccup driving back. The highways agency had shut half a roundabout without telling the navaid systems. Luckily I knew my way around their lack of diversion info..

Looks like our new porch may be finished today.. at last!

@polybear locomotion is a place which reminds me a lot about the old York Museum in Queen Street.. and it has a very dedicated area curator (as has STEAM in Swindon.

time to gerronwithit. 

TTFN

Baz

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Two more views:

IMG_4923.jpeg.41e2c0f6be8fa5abe976625307809b24.jpeg

IMG_4925.jpeg.585967701f0f18f0669529cb31628616.jpeg

The photographs were taken with my iPhone which although can do a pretty good job in taking photographs (and you have the after shot photo manipulation available on the iPhone as well) it really doesn’t do a good job in getting pass reflection on glass. Does anyone know of an app that can do that – get rid of the reflections?

I've used Google's Photoscan to good effect in the past and very easy to use.    Whether it works / can be adapted to 3D objects I'm uncertain (probably very dependent on the subject and conditions of every use).  You'd have to trade camera relative movement  (to get detail in reflection areas) with keeping the perspective the same which will be difficult but worth a try I would have thought.    For example you may get good results from a broad side with limited depth of field but the end views with huge depths of field and little opportunity for lateral movement not so good.     It's quite an old app so there may well be more modern AI based apps that do a better a job.     Could be amusing to give it a go though.

Puppers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Morning All ERers.

Off shift today. Yaaaaaaaaay.

Hoping to do some muddling. Just got a box from far west of here…..a box with 40 bogies in..😆

Tonight is Newick Bonfire Badge Night, so off to the Crown Pub for noise n ale for a few hours. 

Mrs Grizz’s brand new safety boots arrived this morning at Nailbroke, so I’ll have to potter in to collect them later. She needs them for all fings bonfire, especially when she is torch marshalling. Nothing worserer than placing yer best foot forward to stamp out a used but still slightly burning torch, that is laying in the gutter, only to find that it is now physically attached to the bottom of your foot, through your non safety footwear….. by a red hot nail. 

I was up early on Mokka detail….the view, that I have posted here some many times, was again amazing. But photos never really do it justice. 

IMG_5329.jpeg.6fb05fc60d131eb324f8b2bf4f5c50ee.jpeg

IMG_5333.jpeg.51427065b407f61bfc420c480ef740b1.jpeg

IMG_5336.jpeg.bbe1ba448eddb5ad2a7692feeaa22acb.jpeg

IMG_5337.jpeg.2db32e422c0cac416bc1802ee190dc03.jpeg

IMG_5338.jpeg.66e3b17f652855742ab19af466f46af2.jpeg

IMG_5342.jpeg.0d9529ea13768b35a50e3d06de75c64f.jpeg

Have a great day all. 

ATB Grizz

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the thoughts on what I can do with the various pictures etc in my loft. I am going to have a good think and first make sure I don't want to swap any of the pictures round I have on my walls of which there are a lot - pictures not walls that is.

It's fine and sunny so I need to decide what to do.  I won't be going very far as for some reason I ache today.

Sometime today I will sort through a pile of unused assorted greetings cards which have accumulated during the years, some of mine, others from Mum's flat 2 years ago - many will go.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another bright, sunny and windlass start to the day here in the northwest corner of England. My first task today will be a walk to the butchers for the weekly meat rations and a pork pie for my dinner. After that, I’ll go to the Trafford Centre for a few more bits and pieces, whilst there, I’ll have a quick look in WHS to see what magazines they have to tempt me. There are no plans for the afternoon, so I’m hoping to get the 15 corridor connections I started yesterday finished. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A good night last night, six hours sleep in all. One interruption about four  but I went back to sleep straight away. Clear blue welkin this morning and the same predicted for tomorrow. Pity I'm too far south to see the Northern Lights which are going to be visible over this weekend.

• Friendly/supportive 8

2 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

We’re away in our van at the moment and I took this photo of an old tin mine chimney near Cape Cornwall half an hour ago that I thought I should share:

At a guess you're near Ballowal and the hill on the right horizon is Chapel Carn Brea, the most westerly hill in England.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Debs. said:

We said, run a "Waterloo Special".....🙄

.....not a Porterloo Special!?🫣

Well, it was commonly called the craziest train we've [the GCR] had since the Top Gear caravan train! 

Anyway, back to normal service... Morning awl. A bit of a broken night but feeling better now. The sun is breaking through so I might try ship spotting in a few minutes. No sign of Sally [the slowworm] yesterday, it was a warm and sunny afternoon and I did wonder if it agreed with me that it would be good basking weather. A few bits done in other parts of the garden. Some painting done and then I had had enough and read for a while. 

A brief aside - on the subjects of pictures/frames, greetings cards and Japan I have some drawn by an artist whose work used to hang in the Japanese equivalent of the NRM. Mainly black and white but very atmospheric. I have framed some of my better [photographic] work and they decorate the walls of various rooms. A few duplicates were given to friends and were well received. Probably worth very little but they have good memories. One of the things which turn a house into a home. 

• Like 5