The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Another dull start to the day, there is supposed to be light rain on and off so I don't think I'll go far.  The groceries have come, there is a bit of ironing to do and some things to go in the bin if I sort them out before the bin lorry comes.

After that there might be a walk or not depending on the weather.  Later I expect some model things to get done and some garden jobs this afternoon if possible.

Yesterday I had an email from O2 saying I had paused mt Disney sub with them.  I haven't so I rang them,  It was suggested it was a spam e mail - but it appears to be from one of their addresses yet they said they haven't sent me an e mail recently.  I shall forward it to their spam people to check.

David

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

31 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Two points of order there. Firstly you mentioned your shed so points deducted there and secondly you should be ashamed for not accepting your quota of the wet stuff. It's people like you not agreeing to stand together with the rest of us and get soaked that has led to this country's downfall.

S Odden

Of wet & damp Manutopea.

Ah…well technically so did you. Albeit to point out that Hroth had mentioned his shed…….😶😶😶…..

mmmmmm…….

B0ll0X….now I’ve done it! 

Edited by Grizz
Auto incorrect
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Two points of order there. Firstly you mentioned your shed so points deducted there and secondly you should be ashamed for not accepting your quota of the wet stuff. It's people like you not agreeing to stand together with the rest of us and get soaked that has led to this country's downfall.

S Odden

Of wet & damp Manutopea.

I'm glad I didn't mention the Glass Shed.....

• Funny 11

3 hours ago, polybear said:

😲

iD?  Coke Zero??

Ingredients. Carbonated Water, Colour (E150d), Acid (Phosphoric Acid), Sweeteners (Aspartame, Acesulfame-K, Enzymatically Produced Steviol Glycosides), Natural Flavourings, Caffeine Flavouring, Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrates). Contains a Source of Phenylalanine.

So what happened to the "All UPF's are Evil" Mk.1 version of iD I wonder?  Did he finally realise the Mk. 1 was out-dated/flawed I wonder??

Indeed they are terrible things, but as it was 5:45 in the morning, I had already drunk a gallon of coffee, it was too early to start drinking ETOH (even I don't start drinking that early) it was a choice between Coke Zero or one of those sickly sweet drinks which rot your teeth just by you looking at the bottle.

Coke Zero was the lesser evil (and one really doesn't drink the water.in foreign climes does one?)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

and one really doesn't drink the water.in foreign climes does one?

… not without a drop or two of whisky. Just to be on the safe side.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

"This product has been linked to a higher incidence of Liver Cancer in Lab Rats....."

My Dad was a research chemist and used to be asked to look at lots of trials and test results from various sources. One such was a report that said just what Bear included above with regard to an artificial sweetener. When he delved beyond the headline claims it turned out that the lab rats that developed cancers had been fed the equivalent of a human ingesting about ten pounds of the stuff a day for several years. And the ‘research’ had been funded by …..,

The British Sugar industry.

Dave

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Grizz said:

We had the most delicious curried pork dish, with rice and accruements, including, served separately, a total nutter bar steward garlic, chile sauce. I just might have underestimated exactly how hot that was.
Suspect that it was weapons grade. Might be useful in combat. 

You didn't get the recipe by any chance. I don't eat anything that hot but I'm sure there are ER's that do.

Edited by PhilJ W
Fat finger syndrome
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The eczema was on fire again last night but I managed about five hours sleep in all. I'll just be pottering around doing odd jobs around the house today, the weather precludes doing anything outside. Also I have to chase up about my knee op, I'm planning things for later this year and next year but with the uncertainty its very problematic.

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bit late on parade this morning, but we had a lie in and ended staying in bed until just after 9 o’clock. Then, straight after breakfast, I had to go out to the doctors surgery to leave a small deposit of red stuff, which will now be analysed to see how high my PSA is now! Thankfully, it had stopped raining and most, but not all of the puddles have gone. The ones at the bottom of the road that were hiding the edge of the pavement have gone, so that’s good. I expect my sump pump has been doing its stuff overnight, when I looked in the other day it was about half full! 

Anyway, best get on with some more paper and card folding! 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

You didn't get the recipe by any chance. I don't eat anything that hot but I'm sure there are ER's that do.

I’m so sorry Phil but the recipe was a closely guarded secret, although the chef was a very nice chap, who explained that the ingredients for the food was procured locally (farms). I wish the regiment would be allowed to produce a cookbook, I genuinely mean that. They should be allowed to do a cookery series on TV. Everyone we met was lovely and charmingly polite.

As you might have guessed I have enormous admiration for the Gurkhas. 

During my childhood numerous times I attended Bisley Camp (The National Shooting Centre) to go shooting with my father and his brothers. I was lucky enough to meet Gurkhas on one occasion there, especially as a child, they let me hold their knives (Kukri) and guns. My uncles had encountered them a few times during their military service and spoke of them with extreme reverence. 

When I was in my first couple of years at school I was lucky enough to attend an UK military event at Aldershot. Again I was fortunate enough to meet Gurkha soldiers. One of their chefs made a very detailed horse and cart muddle from piped mash potatoes…it was amazing. 

Sorry I couldn’t help with the recipe. I should point out that the curried pork wasn’t stupidly spicy hot, but it had a unique depth of flavour that I haven’t experienced before with pork. The spice came from the sauce that I added. This means that if you don’t like spicy food then everyone can eat the meal. This meal was provided for free as part of the event. I would happily have paid for it. I wish there was some way that we could guarantee that we could express our thanks to them, that would definitely and unquestionably reach their C.O.s and very senior staff. 

I am so looking forward to next year. 

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

My son did his basic training for The Guards at Catterick.  Their barracks were in a separate area to most other regiments but the enclosure included the Paras and the Ghurkas.  He spoke very highly of the Ghurkas.  As to their food I once was taken to a restaurant on the high street in Aldershot run by retired Gurkhas. Spotlessly clean, great service and the food was superb.  I hope that it's still there. 

Jamie

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Used to drive the A49 on a regular basis when I was sojourned down in Shropshire.

Most pleasant road to drive and much, much better than the M6 and you are talking quite a few years ago now, but can only imagine it hasn't changed much.

Yes indeed - there's a lot of places to pull off - pubs, cafes, and the Midway truck stop offering  half way decent food - also plenty of petrol at much cheaper prices than the services on the M6.  Problem is, of course, that it is a single carriageway with all the attendant agricultural traffic, and 40mph merchants.  However, generally speaking it is about half an hour slower than the M6, and goes right past Ludlow so no real problem like there is getting from Ludlow to the M6 for us.   The guy who came from Manchester to pick up the cabinet said that despite his hanging around to let the rain move North, he still did the last 30 miles in torrential rain.

30747 drove us to Leominster this morning, as she very much likes the three large charity shops on the old station yard.  I picked up a couple of railway books that I didn't  previously own for a total of £3.50. 

It is now chucking it down, and is forecast to do so here for the rest of the day and up to about 4 am tomorrow. And we have a vet's appointment tomorrow as Lily had gungy eyes.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Grizz said:

Sorry I couldn’t help with the recipe.

You could work your way through all of the Nepalese pork curry recipes on the internet and decide which one came closest!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Grizz said:

Thanks for the support WB. As much as the bruising in unmentionable areas, it was the embarrassment and the field ornament’s response. She trotted back over to her and sniffed her….as if enquiring “Well what are you doing down there?”.

The Gurkhas and all others were very supportive. In fact the Southdowns Way run is held over the same weekend every year and for years my FiL has supplied water for the event. This year we were very kindly invited to eat with the troops and their families and we was treated to a Gurkha meal cooked by their chef. We had the most delicious curried pork dish, with rice and accruements, including, served separately, a total nutter barsteward garlic, chile sauce. I just might have underestimated exactly how hot that was.
Suspect that it was weapons grade. Might be useful in combat. 

I would suspect nothing less from the Gurkhas given there reputation in combat.

Glad that you support them. I find it very annoying that the forces don't receive recognition for there efforts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Bin down the mobile home muddling, didn't go entirely well, I knocked over a litre of PVA, but was holding stuff with paws, so wasn't able to stop the flow until all above the bottle opening had leaked out..

What I could was scooped up and used in a filla mix.. so more icing have been applied.

Plans have been made for transportation system...a few technical problems were solved, a trip to a big orange shed is now required for materials.

Went to come back here and the heavens opened.. so I stayed down there for another half hour.. that appears to be the main batch of soggyness gone, minor showers are expected.

Plans for a Bullace Vodka have failed, while we we up north something's had them all, when are the sloes due?

The lesser spotted bin man has in the last few moments been, I'll have to go put the bin back shortly. It seems the bin men in many areas over here are going to a 3 week rotation instead of 2, recycling, rubbish, food waste. It was rubbish, recycling, and a special trip for food waste.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

My Dad was a research chemist and used to be asked to look at lots of trials and test results from various sources. One such was a report that said just what Bear included above with regard to an artificial sweetener. When he delved beyond the headline claims it turned out that the lab rats that developed cancers had been fed the equivalent of a human ingesting about ten pounds of the stuff a day for several years. And the ‘research’ had been funded by …..,

Dave

A similar "finding" happened here ( and probably there too) when it was "discovered" that half-time oranges that were a traditional part of kiddies sport could damage their teeth due to the "High acid" content of oranges ,so many sporting groups such as Netball Queensland  banned them.

What have they been replaced with? Lollies (sweets) such as jellied snakes, and high-sugar "sports drinks".

I recall reading at least once that one of the studies was funded by Coca Cola Amatil, maker of  Gatorade or associated bollox.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A'noon, missed earlier as my presence was required elsewhere.

My Dad's eldest brother (dad was second youngest of 5) was a Sergeant in WW2 that had something to do with the Gurkhas, some kind of a liaison role.  Apres the war he used to parade with them at the Cenotaph each remembrance day.  He had no higher praise to give for them as soldiers (he was a regular) and people. 

Had a wee ride out with neighbour pal this lunchtime, as it is actually dry here, although rather windy.  His new bike was in for first service (Moto Guzzi if interested) and he came around on a demonstrator of one of the new Royal Enfield 'Himalayan' 450 - seemed apt to the chat about Gurkhas!  Ended the ride most impressed, although it isn't the kind of bike he prefers, however there was a sea change in his attitude after 40 miles - he loved it.

OK, need to wash my bike now (got covered in salt spray on the prom, pah) and prepare dinner for the house wage earner when she comes in later.

• Like 4

Suitably chasing by PB's rebuke* I stopped at a local Combini and found a nice Nikka at 2000¥. Thus saving me $$$$ (or ¥¥¥¥¥¥ to be exact) on my daily nightcap.

IMG_4823.jpeg.f2d99ad4847bfb4b657d268f6dc1b5c2.jpeg

Not the smoothest whiskey in the world (I think it was designed to go into a cocktail: the Japanese are quite hot on whisky cocktails), but after diluting down a bit (and, surprisingly, after letting it breathe for a bit in the glass) it's more than adequate!

* and if you believe that, I have some seaside property in Nevada to sell you..

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The president of our Military Modelling Club in the 1980s/90s was a retired major who had been an officer in a Gurkha regiment. Of course he was a great fan and a supporter of their museum.  He had earlier been a POW in N. Korea, which was apparently pretty awful. We got this from one of the older members, he would never talk about it.  He was still in the Reserve, but for some reason it was the Royal Marine Reserve.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 29/09/2024 at 20:19, BoD said:

It can be very frustrating.  A victim of its own success, although as you (and others regularly) say, it should not be beyond the wit of humans or the grasp of technology to sort it.  I have often left this very place without fully reading it or posting* because of the ridiculous delay.**

* good! I hear many of you say.

** probably still beats the Royal Mail.  Only just, at times, though.

Tend to agree - I 'give up' quite frequently.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

I seem to remember reading of this or some similar research that even at that time - early 50s - a conclusion state that vast amounts had to be ingested before the 'cancer' symptoms developed.  Like other things that 'industry do not like' - similar to some earlier battery work and cigarette 'problems'- the research seems to get 'lost' for some considerable time.