The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

10 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I've eaten some shocking rubbish from street stalls, particularly in Africa. Had some nasty squitters too. 

Perhaps I’ve been lucky, but the street food I’ve had in Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore and Japan has been pretty good to amazing.

I’ve eaten where the locals eat in Tunisia, but it was a café not a street stall and was rather good (with no after effects). Would I eat from street stalls elsewhere in Africa? Not sure.

9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Another lovely early Autumn day here. It really is my favourite time of year.

Me too. Early to mid autumn seems to have the best weather: pleasantly warm during the day, cool - but not cold - at night. Even rainstorms are enjoyable - unlike summer storms (hot and sticky) or winter storms (icy and bitter)

9 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morn...oh.  Well I was busy, honest.

Took Mrs H to be Pilated…

I read that as “to be plated” and for a moment I thought that the one true High Priest or DONK of The Royal Ramsey Enclave of The Sage and Venerable Priest Warriors of Donk had resorted to cannibalism.

Speaking of which, what’s happened to Donk? Has he come down with polybearism (Morbus PB) like Dronk? Has he gone to join that enclave in the sky?

2 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I did the smoke detectors today.

Smoke alarms don’t seem to be widely used here in the domestic setting, or at least I haven’t noticed them in evidence. During our house hunt, we saw a number of apartments of various ages and none had smoke detectors that we noticed. I suspect that very high building standards, quality materials, strict implementation of relevant safety laws and by-law-required monitoring of electrical systems during the lifetime of the property may have something to do with it (every 5 or 10 years, I forget which, you must get your property’s entire electrical system - from where the mains power enters the house down to each socket and switch must be inspected by an independent and qualified electrician and any company that has done any sort of electrical repairs to the property is disqualified because of potential bias).

Of course house and apartment fires do happen, but very rarely it would seem (and whilst I don’t know the stats, but I suspect “human error” [the Swiss equivalent of the chip pan fire, perhaps] was the cause in most cases).

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Beware County Durham! The daft lad returns!!!

Looks like dry but cool weather should great us. Great!

We have various mains (with battery backup) smoke and CO detectors.. it forms part of the building regs. (Gained from experience). Electrical work has to be signed off by a competent electrician (who needs to pass a test of skill and knowledge) and gas work must be done by a competent Gas safe qualified person.

Despite all of this we still get the odd fire .. people chose the cheap route not the best route.

Good day yesterday for Yorkshire Cricket. Gained promotion but, unfortunately,  no Yorks v Lanvs county derby's next year as Lancs have been relegated. 

Unfortunately the SAFC lads played like doilums and lost....pah!

Time to finish packing and get ready to go.

Her indoors has opened her cards and pressies so is in a cheery mood.. long may it last!

Stay safe!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spellung
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Perhaps I’ve been lucky, but the street food I’ve had in Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore and Japan has been pretty good to amazing.

I find the street food and hawker centre food of SE and East Asia tends to be very good. At it's best it is superb and rivals high end restaurant food. In Singapore it's seen as a courtesy to take a guest to your favourite hawker stall for lunch.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

A better night of 5 solid hours sleep,  short awake, 2 hours sleep.

Blue welkin, not a lot of wind, can't tell if it's dew or left overs from yesterday's rain on the ground, roads still damp.

I Feel lot better than yesterday, so I'll proceed to the sailing club after breakfast, there might be some bailing to do after recent weather.. you just can't stop rain hitting the mast and running down into the hull...

I've just checked, racing is on the river at the club, it's low tide near the start of the racing, so there will be an increasing tide coming in during the day. Also the wind is supposed to increase but we won't get the maximum till midnight or slightly later and nowhere near as strong as our south western correspondent will get..

Still having the side effects of the is it or isn't it pill after 6 days so it's increasingly like it is.

Time to start getting ready.

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Our current units are hard-wired into the mains with battery backup.  The batteries usually come out with over 9v still in them.  I have a building on my layout that has a 9v lighting feature, but I still have a large  supply of barely used batteries.

Bear doesn't swap the batteries every year - I see it as a waste of money, resources and increasing waste.  All smoke alarms have low battery warnings plus a test feature.  However, most of Bear's S.A. have 10-year batteries fitted - though they seem to fail long before that; fortunately the manufacturer doesn't argue and sends out a replacement in the post after confirming the serial number (though I have had instances where the replacement has failed as well - and because the unit it replaced would now have been 10+ years old they won't replace it).  It's the same make/model that the Fire Brigade install as freebies to vulnerable people, incidentally (Fire Angel).

3 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Our detectors are in the ceiling, one at the bottom of the basement stairs and the other at the top, outside the bedroom door. CO detector is in a socket outside the bedroom.

Bear Castle has 9 S.A. (including inside the Airing Cupboard as there's leccy stuff in there), a Heat Alarm** in the Kitchen, a C.O. Alarm plus numerous Flood Alarms (6?).

**Apparently S.A. in the kitchen are a no-no because the sensor can get damaged by airborne cooking particles - as well as being a PITA.

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

I’ve eaten where the locals eat in Tunisia, but it was a café not a street stall and was rather good (with no after effects). Would I eat from street stalls elsewhere in Africa? Not sure.

Street Food?  Depends - especially overseas;  first thing I look at is if they have hand washing facilities and does the "chef" look like someone who wastes their hands** after they've been for a wee (or worse)....

(**The number of so-called intelligent people working for The Great Empire who would fail this basic test would amaze you....🤢)

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Of course house and apartment fires do happen, but very rarely it would seem (and whilst I don’t know the stats, but I suspect “human error” [the Swiss equivalent of the chip pan fire, perhaps] was the cause in most cases).

I find it amazing that with all the rules & regs in a country like Switzerland there seem to be none for compulsory smoke alarms 😲

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Up at the disgracefully late time of 0646....

Today WILL see Bear sort that Sh.... er, Workshop Wood....

I also need to check whether or not the current G & L deal is ok (the prices go up v. soon apparently 🤬), some ironing to do 😒, a choo to test (still....), a watch to charge and perhaps a second attempt at reducing what's in Momma Bear's Wardrobe Drawers.....😢).

ION.....

Bear put the Gas Fire on this morning 😲 - oh, the shame of it....

It'll not be on for too long though - there's something about the idea of Deltics disappearing up the Chimney that Bear doesn't like....

TTR

BG

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I was awake a bit too early this morning at 04.30, for no particular reason, I eventually went back to sleep and then woke with the alarm at 07.00 to give time for breakfast, putting photos on the web phone calls before I go to church.

Not too much is planned for today, the things I bought yesterday need to be put away so they can be used when I start on the modelling jobs they were bought for.  

There was an orange red sunrise, the cloud has now returned so it is a uniform grey but the forecast predicts a lot of sun.  

One photo I put on flickr yesterday - the one I put on here of the waves has been selected for flickr explore so it is getting a lot of views.

David

• Like 8

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

The Convention is a legally binding Treaty and international law. It does not concern itself with details such as standing patrols but places obligations on contracting parties which include the UK and EU countries. SAR coordination and response are addressed in the SAR Convention, another legally binding Treaty forming international law. Whether or not contracting parties fulfil their obligations does not alter those obligations under international law. 

But the French aren't taking anyone to court for, in effect abandoning these "mariners" and no-one, on either side is making any serious attempt to control the situation. 

I would hardly be surprised to see HM Govt prosecute individual members of HM Coastguard or Border Force for declining to assist, though. 

What is NEEDED is a concerted effort to control the driving factors. I suspect that an immediate moratorium followed by a long term policy of reducing benefits to the general European level for incomers would soon grasp thst nettle. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Since Singapore was mentioned with approval, I'll offer Iran in return

Some years ago I was working in Central Iran - which has a border with Afghanistan. Its a common sight in the NE of the country to see cars burned out by the roadside, half a mile or so from the road. This is the work of the Drugs Police (Iran has multiple police forces). 

Some of the drivers must be arrested, because they are occasionally the subject of public executions.

Iran doesn't appear to have a drugs problem, insofar as the press can be regarded as bearers of impartial truth.....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a dull but dry rock, where a soaring 12C is on offer.  Breezy, but.

Chateau NHN boasts a mains/battery smoke detector, that has recently proved the air fryer circulates a lot of particles, it's (the air fryer - d'oh) next to the cooker hood and we normally turn that on when using the fryer, but....someone.....#cough#....forgot to turn it on one day this week. CO2 detector too, down by the boiler.

Donk?  Last time we saw him he was driving trams at Crich, after a planning session with Dink and Camping Bear.

20240629_1034551.jpg.efb5052ecc7b526ac29daf1fc85cc2db.jpg

20240903_1345331.jpg.036a90e9604646c726842f1f9728e897.jpg

No doubt he will re-surface after the post-holiday hangover clears.  Some say the reason the wood burner was lit for the first time this autumn last night, was a fur-drying session, we couldn't possibly comment.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I would hardly be surprised to see HM Govt prosecute individual members of HM Coastguard or Border Force for declining to assist, though. 

That would be a matter for the competent enforcement and prosecuting authorities, but certainly I would hope severe action would be taken against such individuals. It is not the role of any member of the emergency response or law enforcement agencies to ignore their terms of service and statutory responsibilities and make their own decisions who they will or will not assist.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Beware County Durham! The daft lad returns!!!

Looks like dry but cool weather should great us. Great!

Her indoors has opened her cards and pressies so is in a cheery mood.. long may it last!

Stay safe!

Baz

Howay, lad . .. .be realistic . . . yer bringing her to HORDEN!!!!!!!

The sun is even trying to shine through as a welcome . . . 10c and still grey but dry.

Keep smiling all . . 

John

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A dull, grey, but (currently) dry start to the day here in the northwest corner of England. Today will be pretty much the same as yesterday, although I’m expecting a package from Rails today, due anytime before 7pm! The contents were originally ordered from Hattons ‘exclusive’ range, long before they shut up shop. Rails took over ownership of these products and they arrived in the country a couple of weeks ago. I initially thought they’d arrive sometime next week, but an email last night said they’d be here today! 

Max is due to call round for a modelling session, we’ll see if he remembers this week! 

Back later.

Brian 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Didn't get up until nearly eleven this morning. I woke up around seven thirty and decided it was too early on a Sunday so I rolled over and went back to sleep again for another three hours. Must have had at least ten hours sleep, only thing is that the arthritis and bladder control made up for it this morning.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon from the Charente.  Apparently we are not going to a Broccante this afternoon so plans have changed.  The market has been visited and a friend has been pressganged into helping me get the steps out of the pool.  As it's only about 16 degrees I will be in there for as, little time as possible. 

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

What is NEEDED is a concerted effort to control the driving factors. I suspect that an immediate moratorium followed by a long term policy of reducing benefits to the general European level for incomers would soon grasp that nettle. 

The driving factor is the criminal gangs organising the boats. Not all of the illegal immigrants head for the UK, far more prefer Germany for example and many prefer other countries in Europe. So much so that border checks are being reintroduced in the EU. At least the new government is taking steps to short circuit the flow by processing immigrants in Albania following the lead of the Italian government.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1