The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

know that marmalade isn't really the healthiest of foods

Paddington Bear seems to be quite healthy though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold

Today has ended up being quite busy, not as I thought this morning.  

First I reorganised my Covid jab as I had a text from my surgery offering me an appointment a few days later but at a more convenient time in the early evening of Tuesday 8th.  Cancelling the other one was easy online.

I rang the dentist about a filling which I lost an piece of yesterday evening (while eating a chocolate digestive).  I now have an appointment next Monday, fortunately it doesn't hurt.  I think it had been damaged for some time and then gave way.

Next the garage rang to say my car was ready, the only problem was that the 12V battery was not well charged - probably because I've not driven far for a while.  They have charged it up and told me to get out more!  I took their courtesy car back and then visited the shops.  It became expensive visiting M&S and Hobbycraft but I did use a discount voucher.  I also went to Currys and ended up with a new camera, really to replace my old Ixus but also to use instead of my Nikon when I go for longer walks as carrying the dSLR and a couple of lenses is getting too heavy.

I managed to use four different routes on my trips to the garage which has refreshed my "route knowledge", useful as two of the routes have had changes.

David

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I used to walk three quarters of a mile to infants school with my elder brother, but that was over 70 years ago. We hardly ever saw a car and several of my classmates did the same. An interesting fact, the school run in London has dropped considerably since the introduction of ULEZ. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I refuse to eat anything other than ultra-processed industrial food and chorleywood bread. Quite aside from the splendid value for money (not only do you get all those extra ingredients, you pay less for more, the miracle of the age!) but all those chemicals and processing were dreamt up by scientists. And if there's one thing I have learnt over the last few years it is that we must always listen to the science!! People who question the science are dangerous extremists who should be put in concentration camps, or even worse, forced to watch Eastenders and BBC News24.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

School "transport";

Infants/Junior school was just under a half-mile walk through town. Via the sweet shop sometimes on the way, used to be accompanied by mum the first couple of years, then on my own with friends mostly.

Via grandmas house after school for tea. She lived about 500 yds. from our house so mum was usually over there after school.

Grammar school we had the luxury of a bus pass all the time I was there.

Two London transport busses to get there. 461/462 2 miles to Walton-on-Thames then the 218 to the school another 1 1/2 miles.

If the weather was "reasonable" we'd actually bicycle instead of use the bus, that was most of the time, seems back then rain wasn't considered unreasonable to be out in!!

That was until 6th form, when several of us obtained Vespas/Lambrettas/motor-bike and use those.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PupCam said:

I think I'll go and get a coffee and eat that last Cherry Bakewell .....

TTFN

Would that be the same UPF-laded monstrosity that you tried (unsuccessfully) to foist on A Certain ("my body is a Temple") Bear a couple of days back?  How was it?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

... Today it’s three months to a certain date in the calendar. Yesterday I passed a sign offering Christmas lunch at a pub. It said £67.99 for 3 courses. The Yorkshire in me said “‘OW MUCH???” ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/09/25/postcards-from-home-2024-28/

BotallackAndSky.jpeg.1491f8e423aa96148e475fadbbcd6f3d.jpeg

Edited by Coombe Barton
Image failed to upload the first twice
  • Like 6
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Today it’s three months to a certain date in the calendar. Yesterday I passed a sign offering Christmas lunch at a pub. It said £67.99 for 3 courses. The Yorkshire in me said “‘OW MUCH???” ...

There's always this "handy helper" -> How long!!! When I was still out at the client site I'd take much pleasure - as I was usually first into their office - of posting the countdown daily on a main whiteboard at the head of the finance department area 😀😲

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Would that be the same UPF-laded monstrosity that you tried (unsuccessfully) to foist on A Certain ("my body is a Temple") Bear a couple of days back?  How was it?

Yes indeed.   

Yummy 😀

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

What?  This one?

image.png.aa87dbe500a351d88f732b6ff25c0c1f.png

Don't tell anyone but Puppers might have had a couple of Liquorice Allsorts this evening but not a word  to anyone! 🤭

Oh yes and a G&T.

TTFN

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The parcels I was expecting today will not now be delivered until tomorrow. As they are in the hands of the *post office hopefully they will arrive before lunch. Another package has been in the hands of Yodel since Friday, about time they pulled their bloody finger out. 

*Not blaming the post office, the vendors only sent them out yesterday.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, polybear said:

Is that the Temple of Bel-Shamharoth? 🤔

Just wondering.....  😀

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, PupCam said:

"my body is a Temple"

The only thing that my body has in common with a temple is that the shoes are on the outside.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

School , country village ,mainly farming people , infants/junior same building but two rooms.

walked or later bike for fun around village before going home . About a quarter mile from home .

Secondary , local company council chartered bus doing several villages on the way to nearest town

six miles away .

Food . I'm 74 , I have no reason or even desire to want to  make a hundred years , so since I became a singleton

after a divorce I tend to eat and drink things I enjoy without worrying to much whats in it , I'm past worrying now .

So just  to give @iL Dottore another reason to criticize others choices here is what I had tonight ,

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/267266846?sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+Grocery+-+New*MPX_PMAX_All_OT_Top+Offers_Online+Budget_1011017**267266846*&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw6c63BhAiEiwAF0EH1DpTPUrP4bRl7ScDzphkl7O1rcLGYOfap-lpSFExLHQKM3kZ7kBxHRoCsmgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds .

Tomorrow will likely be a ready prepped gammon steak with a couple of eggs and chips . My 'posh ' meal

efforts go as far as buying ready cooked sliced meat , if it's beef then I use Aunt Bessies frozen roast potato's ,

ready prepped frozen yorkshire puddings , tinned veg and gravy , I do a chicken variant with out the yorkshires

but I do make up a sage and onion stuffing from a packet .

My health problems at the moment are limited to COPD bought on by having been a smoker for 

about 53 years , I did give up in Feb 2023 . My hearing is pretty shot but 40 odd years of noisy vehicle

workshops with screaming air wrenches clattering on wheelnuts and other components and 34 of those

with the added bonus of police sirens didn't help that . I have only ever had a one night stay in hospital ,

that was after my eye surgery .

Sorry to have rambled on .   😆

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

You really are addicted to cheap, quick, synthetic UPF “food”, aren’t you?

Bear's din dins tonight consisted of a 1/4 of a Co-op Quiche (ok, so that's UPF naughty) with Broccoli**, Carrots**, Cauli**, a tommy** and some sliced onion**.

Oh yes, and an apple.

**All "the real deal" - and not frozen etc.

That's the norm, by the way.  There's a stash of frozen chips etc. in the freezer feeling pretty unloved....

13 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Some of us, however, enjoy constructing food from quality materials, We know exactly what's going in it.

So does Bear - it's all on the ingredients list on the box 😀.  And if I do struggle then I know I can rely on iD to come to the rescue.....🤣

12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good Luck!

Assuming that you are having a Holter Monitor (or similar) fitted, I do hope you are not a hairy person. The electrodes have to be affixed firmly to the body - which can mean they whip out the disposable razor and give you an unexpected shave - in order to get hairless skin they can attach the electrodes to.

I do recall seeing one particular hirsute gent just after he had his Holter Monitor electrodes removed - his chest was like a wheat field full of crop circles.

We await a status report upon your return

I must say iD, your calm, reassuring bedside manner needs some work.....🤣

37 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

They want ninety five quid at Bear's local.....😱

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Technically true. But when you can only eat a limited number of calories each day, you don’t want to waste calories on rubbish. 191 calories (one Mr K’s Bakewell Tart with Cherries) is about twice the calories of my homemade egg mayo (and about the same if on a toasted muffin).

Homemade egg mayo without additives & enhancers or commercial chemical concoction? Decisions, decisions….

Not exactly playing fair, that - how many calories in an iD Bakewell Tart?

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Don't get me wrong, I am all for self-indulgence, sometimes it is extremely necessary! 😁 And yes, I know how to "titrate" my diet.

But if you are going to indulge why do it with substandard items? Why have a chemical concoction from an UPF factory over the same thing made properly from a local business?

Is it cost?

Do you really begrudge yourself a few pennies that a good quality non-UPF version will cost over the factory version?

A "few pennies"?

A Co-op LDC is £3.45.....how much for a "real" LDC in a local business I wonder?  A tad more than a few pennies I'll wager - more like a (good) few quid.

Now here's a Beary challenge to fellow ER'ers:  How much is an LDC in your local Artisinal Bakers?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Until you go to a country where convenience and UPF fast food a rarity, you don’t realise the extent of obesity amongst the UK population.

Weather and lifestyle play a part too. Many  kids here play some kind of organised sport and most still spend daylight hours outside doing active stuff other than hanging around the local shops vaping (banned) and  looking threatening. Check any of the youtube " Why  we moved to Australia" videos and one comment is always how their children now are active and outside rather than sitting inside on the Xbox.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2