The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning!

Duplicate pages again but obviously not a system problem.     I think I'll go and get a coffee and eat that last Cherry Bakewell .....

TTFN

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I think most of our meals are too but if someone enjoys a Kipling cake while having tea at a friend’s house it isn’t going to do much harm. 

Technically true. But when you can only eat a limited number of calories each day, you don’t want to waste calories on rubbish. 191 calories (one Mr K’s Bakewell Tart with Cherries) is about twice the calories of my homemade egg mayo (and about the same if on a toasted muffin).

Homemade egg mayo without additives & enhancers or commercial chemical concoction? Decisions, decisions….

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

But when you can only eat a limited number of calories each day, you don’t want to waste calories on rubbish.

But sometimes people just enjoy things. I do have to be aware of what I eat but it gets really irritating if do eat something and (extended not immediate) family members start giving me “should you be eating that “ lectures. They don’t seem to appreciate if I have something I may be intelligent enough to compensate later. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

British (and many other expats) are utterly horrified to learn that children here actually walk to school - even the kindergarden children

Back then (rose tinted specs) again walking to school was just the done thing.  We moved house at the start of my final year at junior school and ended up 2+ miles from my original school. Rather than change schools my parents decided to leave me there for the final year and give me bus fare.  There were three of us in the same boat and more often than not we would just walk and spend the bus fare on kets.*

More recently I heard one mum complaining about the school run say to another “I need to get there at least half an hour before pick up time or I end up parking further away than we live”. You what???

*Durham (not Geordie) term for sweets.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, BoD said:

Back then (rose tinted specs) again walking to school was just the done thing.  We moved house at the start of my final year at junior school and ended up 2+ miles from my original school. Rather than change schools my parents decided to leave me there for the final year and give me bus fare.  There were three of us in the same boat and more often than not we would just walk and spend the bus fare on kets.*

More recently I heard one mum complaining about the school run say to another “I need to get there at least half an hour before pick up time or I end up parking further away than we live”. You what???

*Durham (not Geordie) term for sweets.

There are major differences today:

• The roads are busier today than they were almost 70 years ago when I walked to Junior School. Today there is  a far greater chance of an inattentive child being knocked down.
  • The increase in unsavoury characters with evil intent upon children. Unlikely but would you take the chance?

SWMBO took both of our daughters to school until they started High School - we lived on a main road almost a mile from the Primary school. However most days she walked them rather than use the car.

Dave

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Our son was walked to school until he was in year 6 when he walked himself to school. It was only a short distance past the end of our fairly short road. Greatest danger was from other parents driving along the pavement. He took himself to secondary school which was a 10 minute walk away. He either used the bus or walked to sixth form college. 

• Like 9

Some interesting comments above.

Walking to school. Of course I did that from age 5 unaccompanied to primary school.  It was the train to Tonbridge for secondary school. But as Danemouth points out, the roads were not busy back in the 70s. Elder Lurker was walked to school until year 6, and then was on his own (that was the school rules). He got the bus to secondary school. Younger Lurker has been driven partway to school and then walked the rest of the distance (about a mile to primary school). But there were people getting in the cars and driving that he walked past.

However, it wasn't all walking in the 70s. I had an infant school teacher who literally lived 2 doors from the school. And I spotted her driving there more than once! 

Food - growing up in the south east in a middle class family that was on one side a generation from being lower (my Grandma was in service before she married and then worked as a cleaner when her husband was killed during the war), we always called the evening meal "tea". And in fact the Lurker boys do now as well. BoD will perhaps be pleased to know that Mrs Lurker often refers to sweets as "ket"(without the s). Presumably because her step Dad was a Durham man - his parents lived in "Doggy".

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Monitor fitted fine (it was undertaken by A very nice lady who managed to get the pads to stick to me where they needed to be.

I takecthe monitor and leads back in a brown paper envelope to the dame place at 9am tomorrow 

The same unit has a dialysis facility, blood transfusion area, a maternity area and lots of GPs. There are  lot of these around Leeds which people never seem to notice.

Travelling too/from was relatively stress free as well.

I walked to infant and junior schools. (including crodding a main road which was the main link up the Durham coast). My Grammar school was 9 miles away..so we had special buses to take us too and from school. If you missed the bus you had to get service buses to get home... difficult if you had no money .. but you could, if really desperate, walk home..

Baz

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

But sometimes people just enjoy things. I do have to be aware of what I eat but it gets really irritating if do eat something and (extended not immediate) family members start giving me “should you be eating that “ lectures.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for self-indulgence, sometimes it is extremely necessary! 😁 And yes, I know how to "titrate" my diet.

But if you are going to indulge why do it with substandard items? Why have a chemical concoction from an UPF factory over the same thing made properly from a local business?

Is it cost?

Do you really begrudge yourself a few pennies that a good quality non-UPF version will cost over the factory version?

Is it the immediate availability of the indulgence?

Surely postponing the of self-indulgence it off until you can get the "good stuff" makes the self indulgence even more deliciously "sinful"?

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

But if you are going to indulge why do it with substandard items? Why have a chemical concoction from an UPF factory over the same thing made properly from a local business?

Probably because it would be rude if you were a guest in someone’s house to denounce their cake offering?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

First primary school, bus, way too far to walk,

Second  primary school walked,

First secondary school, normally cycled, but if it was really chuckin it down, got the bus ( 6d).

Second secondary school definitely got the bus, it would have taken a couple of hours to cycle with not a lot between you and the North Atlantic...

Third secondary school, car, ferry, bus, ferry, train, bus.. journey time 10 to 18 hours but only at the start and of term. It was a 20 minute walk to school from the accommodation every day.

Bakewell tarts, yuk, while I like eating the almond nut, almonds processed in any way tastes very different  and I really dislike it..

Still going round in circles with legs, transport, size and weight of the unmentionables.

• Friendly/supportive 5

Primary school - I drove. At one school I went on my push bike, though the Head queried if it was appropriate for the Deputy/Assistant Head to turn up on a bike...  

Oh, you meant when we went to school as a child! Walked to primary school; I even remember sometimes walking home for lunch. Grammar was on the bus (Trent #412).

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,

Well, at the risk of being misquoted, I'm sitting here with wet trousers... Not I hasten to add, as a result of fearing wrath from the Home Counties or a hitsquad from Mr K's marketing dept. - or even a slight miscalculation with hand eye mouth co-ordination re a muggertea. But I had to pop out an hour ago for something urgent and it is tiddlin' down. The woolly hat got it's first outing since spring was unsprung. Autumn is here. 

So I think some comfort food is called for for tea. Cottage pie, from basic ingredients and with few 'chemical additives'. I appreciate I am fortunate in having the time to do this, there have been times when cooking time was very limited. Batch production and freezing helped but it was still tricky to eat as healthily as I would have liked. I may not be as fervent as some about 'good food' - a certain near neighbour is notorious for it - but try not to be too dependent on ready made things.

For a few years now I have not been able to have guests (Covid & other health issues) but some of the time at least, that restriction is now lifted. Both now and in the (distant?) past I have varied any food and drink offerings to suit guests and their tastes. Should il D ever pop by this burrow, I won't offer him tinned baked beans... and would look at the better end of the wine rack. Bear would get a different offer. No cakes for the diabetics. However, not being geographically close to any ERs at the moment, any invite to 'just pop round' would be of a stereotypical aussie outback nature, "Just round the corner mate, it's only a three hour flight"! You're not unwelcome, it's just for most ERs it'd be a long way and chances are you wouldn't fancy the journey. If anyone does of course, PM me...

ION, it's a bit of an 'umm, I'm sure there's something' day. A neighbour popped in earlier with some seeds for the wild flower meadow I'm trying to cultivate. Three reasonably useful species and one which I was particularly after (Red Campion). I put a few [others] in yesterday in a patch of ground I cleared of a large clump of weeds, she stopped by and a chat was had. When it stops raining (next week!) I will go and dig a few other clumps out and put seeds in, including from this morning's gift. Two (rather prim, proper and prejudiced) women from the road have criticised my efforts but a dozen or so other neighbours have given positive - sometimes very positive - feedback. The songbirds and bees have also appreciated the work so far. 

Time to go and brown the mince... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Probably because it would be rude if you were a guest in someone’s house to denounce their cake offering?

Who said anything about "denouncing" their offering? There IS something known as a "polite no thank you".....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The threatened rain is conspicuous by its absence.

Just lobbed a bunch of shirts in the washer on a 30 minute programme, so I'm currently taking my ease with a muggatea*.

Getting to school.

1st primary, climbed through the hedge. (A posh one next door**...)

2nd primary, bus.

Grammar school, first three years, school bus.  Rest of sentence, walked as we'd moved closer.

* Yorkshire, milk, quarter teaspoon of sugar, I'm slowly working down to Zero Sugar.

** Nominally a girls school, but they took boys up to 7.  The school I most enjoyed. 😄

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

BoD will perhaps be pleased to know that Mrs Lurker often refers to sweets as "ket"(without the s).

When you were going to the shop you were going for some ket but once they were in your hand you had kets. Especially if they were the individually wrapped sort - fruit salad, black jacks (four for an old penny) or Highland Toffee Dainty (a whole old penny each).  

• Like 1