The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

My best guess is that this might be an age thing, because I didn’t have it when I was younger (no not the getting up in the night thing) but does anyone else have lift music in the brain moments? Perhaps this is the same as an ear worm? I dunno….

Can’t even say that I noticed when it started…..but it has definitely increased over the last 5 years or so. 

Despite my best efforts to analyse it, to discover when and why it happens, I’m still really non the wiser….it just does and it seems to be random.

For example….the highways herberts have recently installed some kind of temporary traffic control system up the road. I should add at this point whilst no one was on site and no work had even started, but that’s another matter. 
So on Friday whilst I was waiting a week to get through the traffic light cycle, along came my lift music in the brain.

Strangely it was the theme tune to the 1970s children’s tv show Mr Benn. Now why do you suppose that happened. 
And before anyone makes any helpful suggestions about a subconscious desire to dress up (the theme of the show)….i was on my way to work, consciously thinking about rolling contact fatigue in rails. 

Answers on a postcard please…..nice, polite and helpful ones if you wouldn’t mind. 

…..just had a thought, don’t suppose it is a subconscious desire to return to the innocent days of childhood? 

At this point I should perhaps explain that my childhood wasn’t quite as innocent as it might have been. It had definitely latent pyromania theme, expressed outwardly by the need to always carry matches and some form of accelerant. Culminating in myself and my two co-conspirators inventing a fully functional flame thrower out of a foot pump and the occasional mishap with the odd abandoned barn etc. 

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

6 minutes ago, Grizz said:

My best guess is that this might be an age thing, because I didn’t have it when I was younger (no not the getting up in the night thing) but does anyone else have lift music in the brain moments? Perhaps this is the same as an ear worm? I dunno….

Can’t even say that I noticed when it started…..but it has definitely increased over the last 5 years or so. 

Despite my best efforts to analyse it, to discover when and why it happens, I’m still really non the wiser….it just does and it seems to be random.

For example….the highways herberts have recently installed some kind of temporary traffic control system up the road. I should add at this point whilst no one was on site and no work had even started, but that’s another matter. 
So on Friday whilst I was waiting a week to get through the traffic light cycle, along came my lift music in the brain.

Strangely it was the theme tune to the 1970s children’s tv show Mr Benn. Now why do you suppose that happened. 
And before anyone makes any helpful suggestions about a subconscious desire to dress up (the theme of the show)….i was on my way to work, consciously thinking about rolling contact fatigue in rails. 

Answers on a postcard please…..nice, polite and helpful ones if you wouldn’t mind. 

…..just had a thought, don’t suppose it is a subconscious desire to return to the innocent days of childhood? 

At this point I should perhaps explain that my childhood wasn’t quite as innocent as it might have been. It had definitely latent pyromania theme, expressed outwardly by the need to always carry matches and some form of accelerant. Culminating in myself and my two co-conspirators inventing a fully functional flame thrower out of a foot pump and the occasional mishap with the odd abandoned barn etc. 

I'd find out what the statute of limitations is for arson attacks if I where you before you carry on with you admission of guilt.

Ps just so long as the music doesn't change to a voice saying everyone is out to get you you should be okay.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Grizz said:

.nice one Seagulls. 

I am not on record as being a fan of kick-balling. But it serves several socially-useful purposes to be able to say I follow the Seagulls. 

A club with a superb social conscience and community engagement as well as being one of the best in the English league tgese days. 

Numerous conditions were imposed upon the planning permissions for the Amex Stadium one of which is that it offers free community parking on non-event days. 

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 9

12 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I'd find out what the statute of limitations is for arson attacks if I where you before you carry on with you admission of guilt.

Ps just so long as the music doesn't change to a voice saying everyone is out to get you you should be okay.

Mmmm you could well be right….i hadn’t really considered that. Although they have since built a whole bunch of houses all over the area (at least 40 years ago), most of which involved land raising. Also I suspect that the abandonment of the structures and their partial collapse, prior to the post heat related total collapse of the buildings in question may be in my favour……also there were a couple of errant thunder storms were attributed to their demise at the time. But I take your point. 

Nope all ok as far as voices in my head go. Unless you are referring to the reoccurring one, that unendingly repeats with irritating regularity between 04:30 and 06:00 every morning……seemingly whispering in my ear…..”Oi…where’s my Mokka…?” ….

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Unless you are referring to the reoccurring one, that unendingly repeats with irritating regularity between 04:30 and 06:00

I know a young person who hears voices telling her to do things, often around those times. Very worrying for her parents and siblings. So far, fairly harmless things like going out and playing in the garden, but waking her (resident) Gran up in the middle of the night might have consequences. 
As for the “ear worms’” I  do get them,  usually pop songs of the 60s and 70s I  didn’t pay much attention to at the time. I don’t get them while driving though. 

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

And the one which boldly asserted 

“I am the IRS and if you do not pay me $1m in used Wall Mart Vowchaz (sic) you will be placed under the rest.”

Fail. Must try harder. 

Amusing as much as frustrating. There are some sad sick puppies out there with nothing better to do. 

Sounds like a 10 year old trying to supplement their pocket money.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon

15 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Youtube offered me up this p0rnographic video earlier today.

Superb!    That bar framed chassis was something else.

I've lusted over a decent sheet metal guillotine, rollers and a Fly Press for years!   I too use my drill press as a "light duty" Fly Press (remember the corrugated jacket for the 1/3 scale Vickers?).  

I liked the section of flat bottom rail used as a "Heavy weight" 😀

You can't beat a decent sized soldering iron with plenty of heat storage (unless you're soldering a white metal kit or 🤣surface mount electronic components .... 🤣).  Far superior to struggling with one of only just adequate capacity.

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

And those who are cash rich and time poor “get in a ‘little man’ to do it for them…” 🤣

In the overall scheme of things we are all time poor, it's just that some are more fortunate in the cash department than others!

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I also liked his soldering iron. At first, I thought it to be far too clunky to be of much use in fine scale building, but the way he used it resulted in amazingly precise (and fine) soldering. His use of jigs (all presumably designed and built by him) was inspiring: why fumble and fudge when you can build a jig.

See above .... 

Yes, the time spent building jigs and fixtures is usually time well spent.

7 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I watched the Channel 4 programme about "lost lines" at the weekend. I must confess that while I knew the Somerset end of the line quite well the Dorset end was a blank to me 

I've just watched it and thought it was good.     Interesting bit from Ivo Peter's son.

ION

A walk has been walked around the village to assess the scale of damage.      It mostly looks quite good despite some photographs online of the floods at their peak.   A number of properties have piles of damp objects, furniture & furnishing outside.   I really feel for those poor souls - it's not as if it's distilled water that's entered their properties (which would be bad enough!) .......    And, on a purely selfish level, it's a shame they have the same postcode as me for future repercussions in the insurance department.

During the walk we bumped into 3 sets of friends / acquaintances and stopped and had a good old natter.     I got friendly with one chap who lives a couple of hundred yards down the road some years ago when he happened to walk past whilst I was on the drive preparing the AJS.   I think his opening line was "Oh that's nice, I used to have one of those back in the 60s".     We've been friendly ever since and despite some fairly severe impediments he is up and about.   I found out today that he is 90 years old and also met his wife of 55 years for the first time.   It's nice meeting nice people!

TTFN

Edited by PupCam
Added a "Don't try this with white metal kits" warning
  • Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Same here. Plus I have a great deal of sympathy for them as they get some absolute f£ckwits. And no that doesn't include me.

I agree. I don’t know how some people managed to drive to the tip. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just back from the tip.  As expected, the "map" bore no resemblance to reality and all the attendants were playing shunting with the skips.  I made an educated guess where the dead electrics should be left and headed off to Aldi....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Just back from the tip.  As expected, the "map" bore no resemblance to reality and all the attendants were playing shunting with the skips.  I made an educated guess where the dead electrics should be left and headed off to Aldi....

As our tip is now by appointment only, the nice man at the reception hut will advise on which is the most convenient place to park for what ever you are leaving. I often have to say “all kinds of stuff” but I can walk  if necessary.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

As our tip is now by appointment only, the nice man at the reception hut will advise on which is the most convenient place to park for what ever you are leaving. I often have to say “all kinds of stuff” but I can walk  if necessary.

That's usually the norm for tip runs isn't it?    I usually save up all sorts of stuff until I get fed up tripping over it all and then brace myself for a run.

ION

Happy birthday @Combe Martin!

Edited by PupCam
Added birthday greeting
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Today, for a change, the plan is to head out to the workshop and make a jig for assembling split axles! The jig itself is a fairly simple affair, just 2 pieces of Perspex, fastened together, with a 1/8th inch hole down the centre of the join. The idea of the jig is to ensure that both halves of the axle are perfectly straight, with an insulated section separating them. Actually making the parts for the axles is relatively straightforward, using the lathe, but the jig is essential for the finished axle, so that’s what I’ll make first, because if I can’t get that right, I’ll never get a straight axle. 

These Jigs are available from Branchlines @ nottalott; they also sell axles.

HTH

Bear.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

As for notes, the queens image  has been limited to just  our $5 note since the 90's, the other notes feature  prominent Australians instead.

I thought there were watermark/hologram images of the H late M EIIR used as security features on many notes in addition to the large portrait on the $5.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I spent this morning watching the final two episodes of Nightsleeper on IPlayer. Don't worry I'm not going to make any spoilers except to say that the person that I thought was the agent of the villain was not. I will have to spend tomorrow indoors as I'm expecting some parcels, one via Yodel and two or three via Royal Mail. Now time to get dinner on the go, be back later.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Grizz said:

... does anyone else have lift music in the brain moments? Perhaps this is the same as an ear worm?

Sure. Happens often enough. Reminds me of the "Radio Goodies" episode where they ran a pirate radio with only one track - "A walk in the Black Forest".

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

As for the “ear worms’” I  do get them,  usually pop songs of the 60s and 70s I  didn’t pay much attention to at the time. I don’t get them while driving though. 

I usually have the radio on while driving.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I spent this morning watching the final two episodes of Nightsleeper on IPlayer. Don't worry I'm not going to make any spoilers except to say that the person that I thought was the agent of the villain was not. I will have to spend tomorrow indoors as I'm expecting some parcels, one via Yodel and two or three via Royal Mail. Now time to get dinner on the go, be back later.

You might as well tell us and save us the pain of having to watch it ourselves!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

41 minutes ago, polybear said:

Worth thinking about:

I know of two marriages where the contents of a mobile telephone was a proximate cause of divorce. It happens all the time.

Without casting any shade on the deceased referenced in the article, there are times it might be best if a survivor can't crack the 'phone - keep the good memories - nothing to explain.

Apple have defended their right to privacy principle many times with law enforcement who want access to a suspect's device just in case they can find something. It's a slippery slope.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

After doing some ironing I sorted out the car, removing things from the boot so the garage can get at the spare wheel to check it tomorrow.  Before things go back in they will be checked through, I don't think I need both an electric tyre inflator and a foot pump for example - I'll probably just put the foot pump back in.

I went to the beach for a walk, as you would expect in late September it was quite quiet, all I saw was:

Two paddle boarders

A group being taught to surf by the surf school

A group doing Tai Chi - I know it was that as they had a banner up to say so

A group of young ladies sitting round a large wok on a big burner, there was a gazebo with food and small tables in it, I assume they were being taught to cook something.

Two coach and 3 minibus loads of students which were split into three activities:

I group doing Biology field work with quadrats

2 groups doing surveying with red and white poles

I group doing a survey asking people about their journeys to the beach and what had they come to do

I large nursery school group from toddlers upwards along with their adults with litter picking tools, the children were indeed picking up litter

I adult litter picking group

The usual dogs taking their owners for a walk

Various people, mainly pensioners, out for their morning walk.

Several council workmen with a pick up truck emptying the litter bins and generally making sure everything is spick and span.

Sadly it was a bit to dull for photos.

Since then I've done a bit in the garden and greenhouse, including removing a lot of the tomato plant leaves as they are beginning to go mouldy with the recent high humidity.  Then I sorted out my winter jackets and fleeces and put the summer ones away.  A few clothes made a journey to a charity shop - they were all in good condition, just things which were never comfortable.

After all that I sat down and read.  I've just had a cup of tea with a slice of Ringtons Tea Cake (not teacake), this is a type of moist cake with some dried fruits and tea in it which tastes rather nice.  Their van comes round about every 4 weeks and I've started buying their tea, coffee, biscuits, cakes etc.  They are a local firm whose products are very good.  Some are also sold in shops and they do mail order.

David

• Like 14