The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Still true but the brick  and  fishing industries have disappeared! Both of the houses we have owned here have restrictions forbidding brick making on the site. 

Bricks were still made in the area as recently as ten years ago.

• Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

25 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Both of the houses we have owned here have restrictions forbidding brick making on the site. 

Here there's  lot of zoning and HOA/CC&Rs* for homeowners but that is oddly specific.

* Home Owners' Association Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions.

It was common in California when I lived there for neighbourhoods to be subject to HOAs. Any property improvement had to be approved by the HOA architectural committee and they had rules about what colour your home could be painted. A colleague wanted to install a gazebo, and was willing to paint it the approved shade of "Navaho white". He was denied!

Happily my home is not subject to a HOA.

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

We've had a BBQ  this evening and for the reference of certain bears in these here parts 

20240914_193142.jpg.6dd0038403c1569cbbae37e33eb263c7.jpg

Kielbasa Slaska on the BBQ and very tasty they were  too

Andy

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 3

The anticipated annual travel mileages for the regular 2024-2025 season for the 32 National Hockey League teams are out. They play 80 games in the regular season.

The most-travelled team in the regular season will be the Dallas Stars, who will cover 56,700 miles. The least-travelled will be the Pittsburgh Penguins, who will do 31,700 miles. 

If teams make it into the playoffs at the end of the regular season (and the majority do), they will then have more distance to travel.

• Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Both of the houses we have owned here have restrictions forbidding brick making on the site. 

The house I had from '87 to '06 had a similar covenant.  It also prohibited installing a steam engine or holding a fair.  It was built in 1901 as part of a terrace adjacent to a brickfield.  The terrace was built to let by people from the brick trade as the brick making there was coming to a close.  The covenant originally applied to the whole plot, purchased from an estate, to prevent unwanted activity as the area was being developed.  The inner skin of the cavity walls consisted mainly of waste bricks, mis-shapes, halves and bats, often with stones in, with common gaps filled with crumbly lime mortar. 

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

I'm not sure: does "installing" a steam-engine includes parking one on your driveway?

I'm sure that I heard that that someone was told that he wasn't allowed to keep a dog, so he kept a bear instead.  So, notwithstanding the restrictive covenant, what about a couple of whatevers called "Aveling" and "Porter"?

But holding a fair would probably need a Fowler, and that would be best on the village green anyway.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, pH said:

The anticipated annual travel mileages for the regular 2024-2025 season for the 32 National Hockey League teams are out.

Does the NHL have a sustainability policy? 😉

They do - sort of. NHL Green

In some ways, global warming will have a big impact on hockey, one that the NHL is aware of.  Particularly in Canada, the opportunity to play hockey on frozen ponds and backyard rinks is reducing dramatically - and they have articles on it. This has the potential to reduce the opportunity to have ice hockey as something even Canadians can enjoy - besides going to a climate controlled rink.

Unfortunately, the changing climate in Canada has resulted in warmer winters, which have impacted outdoor hockey seasons across the country. This year, a strong El Nino resulted in warmer, drier conditions. Consequently, Canadians are more aware than ever of the challenges warm winter temperatures pose.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium

My father (Ontario born and bred) claimed that during the war he once acted as interpreter in a pub between troops from Yorkshire and some Cockneys.

Today we celebrated the 30th anniversary of the Village by the Arboretum (our subdivision).  There was a car show and parade and numerous musical groups plus food trucks.  We managed to find some large shade trees and listened to The Elderly Brothers.

• Like 16

Fun fact, apparently the number one most watched TV show in the US in 2024 so far is "Bluey", with 35 billion minutes watched.  

Pretty good for a cartoon  set in Brisbane about a family of Blue Heelers  that features utes and dunnies and cricket  among many other things that are probably equally unknown to many there.. 

(One of the genuinely funny shows of the last few years, for the ignorant who would dismiss it as a kids show btw!)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

The name makes be laugh, not sure about down under but ‘Bluey’ can mean something a bit more adult in the UK! 

early start for me today as I’m taking the mini to a car show in Hinckley for the day, not been to one with my own car before, weather looks like it will be dry but it’s raining here currently so I’ll have to take a cloth with me to give it a quick wipe over when I get there 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

One of my favourite snacks, if you see these they're worth a try. I am sure Asian supermarkets in the UK or the K marts springing up will have them. The heat of the wasabi and the almonds is a perfect combination.

20240914_200400.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Morning All

Today looks to be a promising day. The early morning Mokkas were made and demolished  and Mrs Grizz has disappeared off to take one of her beloved field ornaments for a stroll. She doesn’t do this on her own, her friend goes with her with her field ornament, as this old Grizz wasn’t happy with the H&S arrangements for lone working……and no a single person / rider accompanied by a field ornament doesn’t count.

So the plans are shower, stuff some washing into Morten the Miele, let the chooks out and disappear off to do some more muddling.
All this must be done this morning as at 16:00 I have a shift, which for the first time in years is actually 8 minutes drive from Grizz Castle…..amazing. It is so close that I had to double check the spelling. 

So fingers crossed if all goes well it’ll be go there, do what I’ve got to do and then it’ll be ‘Home in time for tea and medals’…

Have a great day all.

ATB Grizz

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Dry but a lot of cloud here.  I had quite a good night's sleep and am up, breakfasted and ready to go.

I'm now doing the Sunday jobs and will then go to church.

After that there is a lunch to cook and then (so far) an empty afternoon.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

three Public Houses in close proximity to the brickfields.

I didn’t know that bricks grew in fields.

ERs is a font of knowledge.

Morning all.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 11

4 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

The boy is 17 today so we're having a birthday dinner celebration with friends. He's too old and cool for a birthday party. 

Not too long before he will be driving then?????
Then it’s take dad to and fro to the pub….in return for all the years of ‘Dad’s Cabs’…😉

• Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Grizz said:

So the plans are shower, stuff some washing into Morten the Miele, let the chooks out and disappear off to do some more muddling.

Morten??

21 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Not too long before he will be driving then?????

In Singapore??

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, polybear said:

Morten??

In Singapore??

1. Ja, Han er Dansker…🇩🇰

2. …and why not? 

Validity of the Singaporean driving license overseas

The Singaporean driving license is valid without the need of an International Driving Permit (IDP) in the countries of ASEAN, Australia, Brazil,[d] Chile, Colombia,[e] Cuba, Israel,[f] New Zealand, Qatar,[g] Russia[h] and the United Kingdom.[11]

….and I read that on Wiki….so it must be true…..😆

Ok so he has to wait until he is 18 but planning ahead is great…😊

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I think it is 18 for a provisional license here, so time yet. Most driving lessons seem to be off road on driving school circuits.

If you'd told me not so long ago I would be happy without a car I'd have laughed, but if public transport provides a good alternative it's surprisingly easy to adjust. 

The MRT and bus system covers the island, services are very frequent and both trains and buses are air-conditioned and are kept immaculate. The MRT shuts down around midnight until about 6am but there are buses through the night.

And when necessary, taxis and ride hailing services are reasonable.  We live on the opposite side of the island from Changi Airport and a taxi is about $45 in regular hours or $65 after midnight.

Which is good given a certificate of entitlement valid for ten years to be allowed to buy a car is about $100,000. And cars aren't cheap either. 

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6