The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Along with my poetic licence my artistic licence has also been renewed. ...

Northumberland renews most things.

and yes, before you revisit Lindisfarne do do your research. By necessity your time there will be short but it’s story is long and can’t easily be discovered in the few hours afforded to you by the tide.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... more arty-farty sky shots, along with showers descending in places. Along with my poetic licence my artistic licence has also been renewed. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/09/11/postcards-from-the-other-periphery-2024-31/

NorthumberlandCoastLindisfarne1.jpeg.f3e7b6f90f600cf2ef07aebae3e742c6.jpeg

Lovely music and photos again.

Northumberland is a lot bigger than it seems, it still catches me out after 44 years.  It is in many ways a very unusual part of the country.

As BoD says there is a lot to Lindisfarne, I've visited quite often, sometimes on field trips with 6th formers and know there is a lot more to see and learn.  I sometimes think I might go and stay there for a while even though it isn't too far from home for days out.

David

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Still getting the odd twinge from the sciatica if I move the wrong way so I have to be careful. Having said that I stood up to get something to drink and it felt as if I'd been kicked by a horse so a couple more of co-codamol are required.

• Friendly/supportive 15

3 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Why Not?  Once established in a field it will run riot and so be a target for any  browsing animal.  Rather coarse leaves but I doubt that would slow bovines down.

Erm,  No.   Also goes well with smoked salmon and smoked trout as well as mackerel - smoked or not.  

You always learn something on here. 

I could envisage it with mackerel..  I'll have to try some 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Bear was away on his travels last week.....to the land of Fresh Flower, no less.....

Yep, Bear was in Krakow - and a most excellent place it is too - highly, highly recommended (and better than Bear's recent jaunts to Malta & Lisbon earlier this year).  If you can do it, then please do so - you won't be disappointed.  I also had some most excellent info from @SM42 (many thanks Andy) which really helped to make the most of my travels.

I'll post more in a day or so....consider yourselves warned....🤣

BG

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, TheQ said:

Since I'm going to Scotland soon, I thought I'd find for the Bear a picture of that Scottish delicacy ...

Deep fried Pizza...

Only to find it originates in....

Naples...

Although the Neapolitans don't dip it in batter first, and put the topping on after frying.

image.png.7369238aaca21e2f52ecd59ef6d70d10.png

It's just rained heavily for a short time... Just after I got back from the mobile home having ascertained the cake icing still hasn't set.

My new Semaglutide or placebo pills have arrived, still another week before I need them though. New dire warnings on the bottles, "do NOT use if the bottle is left open for more than thirty minutes."

As you can guess the bottles are small and one for each month.

As IL Dottore said, my original pills are to be unchanged, unless at my annual review The Doctor recommends they are. I suspect that near Christmas at my next diabetic review, it will depend if I'm on the placebo or not. If the Semaglutide is making a difference then the amount of Metformin might be reduced.

No chance and zero of getting rid of metformin.. its a nice little earner for some. Came off metalformin for 5days last year while in hospital. Blood sugars came down.. a lot...

Baz

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

Bear was away on his travels last week.....to the land of Fresh Flower, no less.....

Yep, Bear was in Krakow - and a most excellent place it is too - highly, highly recommended (and better than Bear's recent jaunts to Malta & Lisbon earlier this year).  If you can do it, then please do so - you won't be disappointed.  I also had some most excellent info from @SM42 (many thanks Andy) which really helped to make the most of my travels.

I'll post more in a day or so....consider yourselves warned....🤣

BG

Glad you enjoyed it. 

Andy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I can most definitely recommend Polish Snagger n' Chips though (to the extend that Bear will be searching out Polish Snaggers now I'm back in the UK).

(I've a sneaky feeling that little bowl of "stuff" next to the snagger was Horseradish - it certainly tasted like it; shame there was no butter for the bread though)

IMG_1554.JPG.85df42bdcb5230e7c4a61a8674fa662f.JPG

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, polybear said:

But......

Bear has been on the receiving end of a cunning, dastardly plan dreamt up by CC no less......

Whilst on my travels last week I decided that I'd test out that most Traditional Dish, namely Polish Pizza......

IMG_1397.JPG.11efe2ae344fc700f60bba0942c9fd96.JPG

- About a tenner in a pretty reasonable Restaurant about 5 minutes' walk away from the Main Square in Krakow - the Apple Pie n' Ice Cream wasn't too shabby either....

IMG_1398.JPG.4e07beef8f228e92432f648546be7b6a.JPG

However, I do recall iD @iL Dottore's words of wisdom some time ago regarding "going native" and eating what the locals eat - and where they eat - in order to broaden a Certain Bear's culinary horizons....

So when Bear spotted "Fasolka po Bretonsku" **I reckoned it fitted Bear's desires more than adequately......so I went for it.....

(ok - so the Restaurant had the Menu in English as well as in Polish - which is against the teachings of iD; in Bear's defence I would mention that you're pretty hard pushed to find a Restaurant in Krakow that doesn't have bi-lingual menus though).

**That's Baked Beans with Sausage Soup, by the way.....🤣

IMG_1479.JPG.e3a9b26ac5e780859cbf66b6fa39316a.JPG

IMG_1480.JPG.63c9ebabbabba20de170a3a18b208a73.JPG

Not exactly what Bear was expecting 😐; in fairness it was "ok after all" but not exactly a bowl of Heinz's very best with snaggers floating in it 😢

So to all fellow ER'ers - never, ever let your guard down....anywhere; there's a CC just waiting to pounce.....

BG

Ah!

Bean soup. 

The beans were, er cooked, but not   as we know it, baked. 

Lost in translation a bit there  PB. 

Baked can cover a multitude of heating methods. 😁

It's not like the old days when you ordered something and hoped something vaguely resembling what you ordered turning up. 

Andy

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

10 minutes ago, polybear said:

I can most definitely recommend Polish Snagger n' Chips though (to the extend that Bear will be searching out Polish Snaggers now I'm back in the UK).

(I've a sneaky feeling that little bowl of "stuff" next to the snagger was Horseradish - it certainly tasted like it; shame there was no butter for the bread though)

Won't say what I think in that's small bowl and just because it tasted of radish doesn't necessarily mean its horses radish.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Hroth said:

Pea* sized hailstones have just arrived!

Momentarily it looked like we had a brief snowstorm...

* Marrowfat, to be precise

Had some of those this afternoon accompanied by three rounds of lightning and thunder ⛈️ 
with alternating sun and showers before and after.🌦️ At least I was indoors at the time. 

Horseradish - now there is something I have not seen since about 1970, when someone dropped a catering jar of the stuff where I was working - the smell of it all over the floor put me off it for life!

Pineapple...another thing on my don't-give-me list. I had to have a scan a few years ago and guess what I had to sup... er...don't remind me...but what upset me most was that I was not informed of it beforehand.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, polybear said:

Horseradish no doubt about it. 

And some mustard too by the looks of it.

Butter. Don't need it.  ( granted it's an acquired taste, naked bread)

Some dripping, ( smalec) now your talking

A visit to your nearest Polski Sklep will see you right. 

Try Kielbasa Slaska ( Silesia sausage)

Part cut on the diagonal and bake, BBQ, boil like a hot dog or even cook on a stick over a fire. 

Heavenly.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Horseradish no doubt about it. 

Butter. Don't need it.  ( granted it's an acquired taste, naked bread)

Some dripping, ( smalec) now your talking

Part cut on the diagonal and bake, BBQ, boil like a hot dog or even cook on a stick over a fire. 

Heavenly.

Andy

Your not helping you know.

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

And for those who like to "dabble" with Guitars.....Bear spent several evenings listening to this Guy in the Town Square.....

I didn't think he was too shabby.....

(edit:  I did think the bit from 30s onwards was rather clever - so much so I even bought his CD, which is unheard of).

Edited by polybear
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, SM42 said:

That particular snagger had a nice smoky taste - it that the same one as you suggested?

Can you also cook them in a frying pan, or is an air fryer a better bet?

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

That particular snagger had a nice smoky taste - it that the same one as you suggested?

Can you also cook them in a frying pan, or is an air fryer a better bet?

Could be.  

A little longer than usual but there are almost as many varieties of sausage as there are of vodka. 

Cook em any way you want. 

BBQ is best but roasted is good too. 

Andy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, polybear said:

I'd have just wrapped the bread about some of the chips, perhaps with some longitudenal slices of the sausage!

Regarding the soss, you could possibly achieve the same effect with traditional Cumberland Sausage, the sort that can be bought by the foot, or the yard if you could afford it...

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Buggggger it. I’m well cheesed off. 

Three times earlier tonight I tried ERs (and a couple of times since my last post) and on each occasion the damn thing  just hung.

No error messages, whatever their number, no by your leave, the ruddy thing just hung. 
Left me dangling there until I went off to another site, came back, and the darn thing just hung again.

Much as I love you all and enjoy your (virtual) company I fear that if this does  not resolve itself, my time here may well be limited. I do not wish to spend much more of the time left to me on this mortal earth waiting to see if the site will kindly deign to let me in.

I can also guarantee that when I post this, the site will go all shy, grey out, and I will have to head off elsewhere and return later to be allowed to view it.

• Friendly/supportive 19

7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Probably because that style of cooking is from Pakistan. Though the balti bowl is definitely from Birmingham. Balti is Hindi/Urdu for bucket. 
We were invited to lunch in Harlow by a couple originally from Peshawar. They did a meal based on Afghan cuisine. 
Quite a few of the “Indian’ restaurants round here are now displaying that they are Bangladeshi. Which is why my wife who is Punjabi never recognises any of the food items on their menus

Nope. A curry is "an Indian" whether it comes from India, Afghanistan or Birmingham. Unless it's green, in which case it must be Thai.

The British taste in curry and its associated dishes diverged from its roots in the Sub-Continent many years ago.  Most Brits have never eaten "authentic" Indian or Pakistani food, or ever will. 

Read Sassoon's "Memoirs of a Fox Hunting Man" for descriptions of kedgeree at hunt breakfasts, for example. 

Terry Pratchett got it in one. There's a running joke in the later "Watch" stories involving Fred and Nobby blagging late-night hot food, described as a spicy yellow glop, heavy on the swede, carrots and raisins. 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Today’s weather was very much like yesterday, rain, sunshine, rain, sunshine and then we got hail after tea and lots of it. 

To all intents and purposes, the block of 4 terrace houses is complete, all that’s left to do is add the chimney pots, but these will be added, once the building is set in place on the layout. I’m currently building the back yard walls and gates. Theres probably just a couple of hours work left is all. 

I also finished scanning the slides I got from Canada, 116 altogether. I’ve had a good look at them and they certainly took me back to my childhood. There are quite a few of my father, which is very welcome, as I have very few of him, my mother destroyed all she had once they’d divorced. 

This evening we had our weekly chat with Vickie, the usual stuff, about just keeping up with what’s going on. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 6