The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Who ordered a pineapple pizza?

image.png.d358681101a66092bb1ddc53045c8977.png

Certainly not this Bear - whilst I'm not averse to Pineapple ON Pizza** (much to iD's disgust I'm sure) I reckon that version is, well, just plain wrong.  I very much suspect iD will be of a similar view......

**Though I very rarely order such a variant

• Like 8
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Cold but sunny here this am but very dark clouds now appearing. It is supposed to chuckitdarn all day. Pah!

Shark and cleaning materials to be deployed this morning then I am allowed to do some muddling yippppppeeeeedddddoooo!

Time for my mugatea!

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

The soggy held off till about 18:30 when I was in the MRC, by the time I left the soggy had gone. Tis now at least partly a starry night.

Not much done at ye MRC except a general sort through of stocks of materials I have there. Much has come home.

One of the retiring club layouts has been sold, the person came from a surprisingly long way to get it.

All stocks  of plasticard are being gathered together, I had separate piles for the Radar Museum, MRC, and home. They need to be sorted, then work out what more is needed, as I have several buildings to build.. Also paints need sorting, as again there are 3 sets.

As you may guess at that point I fell asleep and had a Very good 3.5 hours, short awake, 3.5 hours sleep.

During the short awake it was observed an orange one was spouting on TV, that was enough to turn it off again.

Morning Awl,

100% blue welkin out there, with a northerly, that's chilly. Forecast of 50% chance of rain though.

We're having a soft furnishings major wash from bedroom and living room. Washering Machine / tumble dryer has been on all day yesterday, and will be today.

Currently it's doing various throws from the living room.

Soon after waking, a solution to low level ground popped into brain, in real life said area is below river level, not for nothing is the road alongside called " The Causeway". Later a stroll to the mobile home to implement said change will take place, but there are several domestics to do first.

First time for washing up.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Shark and cleaning materials to be deployed this morning

The same here. Then it is off for more watch-keeping before meeting a friend. 

Interesting moment yesterday. This vessel 

IMG_7639.jpeg.4f4aa6e7c051aca6362244535016cdb8.jpeg

MV Gugh - a rather small ferry normally used between the islands of Scilly - was on passage from Penzance in rather rough conditions. It’s a crossing she makes as and when required. 

Mid-crossing she was no longer making way and appeared to be “doing donuts” in the shipping lane. The Coastguard called her. It took three calls before she responded and reported a problem with the bow door. 

Not something you want to hear from a small bow-loader in a rough sea. She confirmed no assistance was required and three hours later she limped back into Penzance with the crossing aborted. 

I wonder what today will bring 

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

Woken at 4am by heavy rain beating against the bedroom window.  Luckily I got back to sleep again, but only after wearing my eyes out by reading a chapter from my bedtime book.  It took the radio 45 minutes to wake me properly, which more or less balanced the time lost after 4am!

Bright out but windy.

As its Wednesday, its time to remember which bin to put out tonight in preparation for emptying some time tomorrow.  It's the recycling one, I think... 🤔

Edited by Hroth
bin thorts...
  • Like 15

11 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Woken at 4am by heavy rain beating against the bedroom window.  Luckily I got back to sleep again, but only after wearing my eyes out by reading a chapter from my bedtime book.  It took the radio 45 minutes to wake me properly, which more or less balanced the time lost after 4am!

Bright out but windy.

As its Wednesday, its time to remember which bin to put out tonight in preparation for emptying some time tomorrow.  It's the recycling one, I think... 🤔

Are you like us in that your not supposed to put the bin out before 7 am and then to bring it in again by 9 am? A ruling which is emblazoned on our councils web site, but ignored by everyone. Which to me just confirms how out of touch they are.

• Like 10
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Bins,

Just looked up our North Norfolk council, it's got to be out by 07:00 on collection day, no early limit.

Looked up MK since we have lived there. Out by 07:00, It has a recommendation of not before 5pm the day before, but it doesn't read like a law 

Falkirk council, my parents home area is out by 06:30 on the day of collection, with no early limit.

None of them have an "in" time.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A good night last night but when I got up the sciatica kicked in and I could barely move. I've taken some co-codamol and now waiting for it to work.

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Oddest thig this morning. Every morning I go to RMweb and then go to ER's, read and rate the posts and then make my first post. This morning I went to make my post and it took me to another thread (Those who fear coming to Australia.) I didn't realise until I happened to look at the header.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 
it is quite sunny now, though it has rained. I was up before 7 to put the bin bag out. Putting it out the night before only provides a target for animals to tear it open. We always leave our bins and bags on the edge of the lawn so they don’t obstruct the pavement. The garden waste bin has already been emptied. We compost a lot of stuff but Aditi had been out with a tree saw yesterday. A neighbour filled our bin with their grass cuttings (we don’t mind). I have been instructed to remove a dead viburnum. It is quite large and more tree-like than shrub-like. There was a fox that could open food waste mini bins but it seems to have gone away.

Tony

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Are you like us in that your not supposed to put the bin out before 7 am and then to bring it in again by 9 am? A ruling which is emblazoned on our councils web site, but ignored by everyone. Which to me just confirms how out of touch they are.

As ours are collected at around 6.15am they are all out the night before. And are back in when ever someone comes home. Or as they go to work. 

No specified times. In some “streets” which are only paths the bin stays put out front - there is nowhere else for it to go. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

We have a bin collection every day, in this climate it's probably more about pest control and smell than anything else. You don’t want trash sitting for a week. Then again, summer in Britain can be hotter (the climate here is more warm than hot) and just as humid.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

A bright sunny cold morning, it got down to 6°C overnight and was 8°C when I got up.  The heating turned itself on for a short time - in the summer I simply turn the thermostat down so if it is very cold it will come on to bring the house up to around 18°C - I feel the cold nowadays.

I was woken by the bin men emptying the garden bin shortly after 7.30 this morning.  We are told to have them out by 7 a.m. but that's all.  Usually we all put bins out around dusk and bring them back in at various times during the day - though whoever is up first along the road usually moves the nearby bins back onto their neighbours drives.

Today is again a blank day as far as urgent jobs are concerned so I may go out for a while, I may work on a model, I may go in the back garden which is sheltered.  In the next few days I need to cut the lavender in the front garden to give to a neighbour who volunteers at a nearby National Trust property.  She takes it there and they make it into little lavender sacs and sell them to raise funds.

The local news today has an item about trying to increase tourist visits to the north east, but they are realising that some places are already full to overflowing leading to people having difficulty finding places to live.  The tourism people are apparently confident a solution can be found.......

David

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I visited Pasir Panjang container terminal this morning, second visit in two weeks. Pasir Panjang is the main container terminal for the Port of Singapore and is huge. It's not just Quay length, but to maintain throughput it's incredibly efficient and a very slick operation. I regularly get claims from European and North American port authorities that it's 'impossible ' to achieve stuff which is normal in Singapore and the big Chinese container ports like Yangshan or Japanese ports. When I ask if it's impossible why can the Japanese,  Chinese, Singaporeans do it I am usually told it's because of 'cultural differences', which seems to be a fancy way of saying it's too much effort. Yangshan really is something else, it's the deep water port for Shanghai and makes Singapre look a bit toy town.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... I've been abroad. I made it to Scotland, prompted by passing a place that described itself as the last café in England (Bikers and HGV welcome). It was closed. I don’t think I would have been tempted anyway. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/09/10/postcards-from-the-other-periphery-2024-30/

CarterBar1.jpeg.79855d1045443c8a683738d5df595e0a.jpeg

I enjoyed looking at your photos, I recognise a number of the places.  You certainly had really good light - when the light is good here it is very very good!

The Northumbrian pipe music was delightful.  I used to have a neighbour who played them and sometimes practised in his garden - he always ended up with an audience.

David

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The rain has returned to keep the wind company, it's currently bucketing down.

I've just noticed that the 18°C bauble has risen to huddle with its companions at the top of the thermometer. Autumn is encroaching!  This year I'll be adding layers to keep warm indoors and reigniting the central heating will be put off for as long as possible.

Now, where are those fleece-lined trousers? 🤔

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, PupCam said:

the positive pressure crankcase breather hose.  

At least on our Renault engined Volvo it was easy to get at the crankcase breather hose.  That was suggested for various problems on that car. Turned out to be a defective ECU. Fairly primitive ECU as it still had a carburettor, Horrible car. Our Clio had an ECU fault, generating non assigned error codes. When the fault developed (every few months) , the easiest thing to do was make it go away by disconnecting the battery, wait  a few minutes and reconnect it. If only two cylinders are misfiring, does it not perhaps suggest a faulty ECU? 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6