The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

51 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

They would already if the requirement were not to "fit in" with human drivers and signage. We wouldn't be having an autonomy discussion if there were separate roads for autonomous vehicles.

I imagine it'd be  easier for Elon Musk et al if human drivers are removed all together. I can envision autonomous cars being eventually equipped with vaporisors for dealing with pesky human cars that are in their way.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

6 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I imagine it'd be  easier for Elon Musk et al

What's with the fixation on Elon Musk?  All auto manufacturers have some level of autonomous features.

As for EVs:

Tesla produced 1.84m EVs in 2023.

China produced 9.58m, EVs in 2023 exporting 1.2m.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

9 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What's with the fixation on Elon Musk?  All auto manufacturers have some level of autonomous features.

Come on!

Name another car maker that has dressed up like  an Evil Overlord, of course he's planning a vaporiser option!

elon-musk-halloween-2022-2.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

7 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear doesn’t have “Minions” - he has partners….

Of course you do!

Junior partners 

Disposable partners

Let's face it, there's only so many Bears a standard issue LDC can feed (one) 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Flavio, ( @iL Dottore ) what have you done now?

SWISS is adding ballast to their aero-vaggens.

CNN: Airline forced to rebalance planes because first class seats are too heavy

This bit is funny:

How dumb can you get?  So those aircraft will spend their working lives flying around excess weight (at the front and rear of the aircraft) and burning oodles of extra fuel in the process (actual litres/price figures would be interesting) just so the privileged few can fly in tacky style.

Yep, Rant 

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Of course you do!

Junior partners 

Disposable partners

Let's face it, there's only so many Bears a standard issue LDC can feed (one) 

Bears snaffle in bulk….

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, polybear said:

How dumb can you get?  So those aircraft will spend their working lives flying around excess weight (at the front and rear of the aircraft) and burning oodles of extra fuel in the process (actual litres/price figures would be interesting) just so the privileged few can fly in tacky style.

Yep, Rant 

It's all those artisanal cakes he snaffles.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Been into work today I can confirm Baz was in Barnsley today, umpiring a game at Higham.

He looked very much the part, his partner not so much. 
IMG_9170.jpeg.57d704749a494877b46d8cd5759351dc.jpeg

After tea (which was excellent by the way) I dispensed with my coat and jumper and it turned into a glorious afternoon.

Yorkshire Ridings scored 304 for 5 off 45 overs.. Berks ended up 155 runs short.

Lovely ground, nice people, lots of people with very nice dogs. Sorry for not waving back by the way!

Baz

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Still a bit tired after yesterday but cleaning duties need to be attended to.

Time to gerronwirhit!

Enjoy your day if you can!

@polybear what makes you think the Swiss don't make serious mistook?

Baz

• Like 7
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Yep, Rant 

Just so long as they serve the macadamia nuts on a plate, nothing fills me with rage more than being served nuts in a packet, especially on Korean Air.🤬 Nut rage lives!💪

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It stemmed from the rapid Soviet advance through Japanese-held Korea in 1945. 

Douglas MacArthur landed US troops at Inchon on September 8, 1945 to stop the Soviet advance. The Japanese instrument of surrender was signed on September 2 in Tokyo Bay. Japanese forces would not surrender to the Soviets in 'northern' Korea until September 9.

MacArthur would again land US troops at Inchon on September 15, 1950.

The Korean war was all about cold / proxy wars between the US and the Soviets. The wildcard was China - which changed the whole complexion of the war.

It was at Potsdam where the Soviets agreed to declare war on the Empire of Japan. They did so on August 8, 1945 six days after the Potsdam conference ended. Much would happen that August with great consequence for the world outside Europe.

Once again, a case of a number of things being true simultaneously. 

Just how far the US government had MacArthur under control is quite a good question. At least they vetoed his proposal to deploy nuclear weapons. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Yep, Rant 

Methinks you haven't done much flying "up at the sharp end".

https://www.momondo.com/discover/economy-business-and-first-class-seats

Business Class and First Class passengers are the ones that subsidise economy class passengers on long-haul flights. According to a number of analyses, the revenue per seat per mile is far, far higher in the premium classes than in economy.

The whole process is called "Market Segmentation" and it's not only the airline industry that does this.

Furthermore, it's sometimes cheaper to go business class than economy, especially if you can book in advance.

https://onemileatatime.com/insights/business-class-cheaper-than-economy/

As someone who has spent a lot of time flying for business (and I mean a lot) Business Class is a necessity, not a luxury.

You can't do the following in economy:

• Sunday: ZRH-LHR-SFO (05:30 start)
  • Monday Morning/Afternoon: Meetings
  • Monday Evening: SFO-LHR (arr. Tuesday Morning)
  • Tuesday Morning: LHR-ZRH
  • Tuesday Afternoon: Back in Office

Do that in economy and you'd be so jet lagged that you'd be essentially "unfit for duty" - not good when you're making decisions that can impact on both people's lives and on a multi-million dollar project.

If you want to rant at anybody, rant at those who want to pay only £34 to fly from London to Prague for a Stag Do (current price at Wizz Air). Environmentally savvy Europeans are swapping internal and short-haul flights for High Speed Trains. Many years ago I used to fly from BSL to CDG to work with a Prof in Paris, as soon as Switzerland got a TGV service, I swapped Air France for SNCF (door to door in about the same time, without all the airport hassle).

I'd love to be able to leisurely take the train from Switzerland to London, but with no direct connection (changing stations in Paris is a chore) and the "benefits of Brexit", it currently is not a reasonable alternative to a flight.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Is it Mooring Awl?

Another poor night's sleep, 1/2 hour, 1 hour, long awake, 2 hours, 1 hour. Not enough.

I'm knackered.

Morning instructions have already been issued, I need to build a wool winder that clamps to  table,  not too much work, maybe a couple of hours. 

There are now 3 doggy groomers in Stalham, all on or just behind the high street. Swmbo has been talking to the new one... She's now got separate bags of, labradoodle, border collie,  GSD, and a couple of others fur to spin..

Time up I can go make Breaky.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Come on!

Name another car maker that has dressed up like  an Evil Overlord, of course he's planning a vaporiser option!

There must be quite a few dry joints on his motherboard...

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 8

36 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Business Class and First Class passengers are the ones that subsidise economy class passengers on long-haul flights. According to a number of analyses, the revenue per seat per mile is far, far higher in the premium classes than in economy.

The whole process is called "Market Segmentation" and it's not only the airline industry that does this.

Furthermore, it's sometimes cheaper to go business class than economy, especially if you can book in advance.

As someone who has spent a lot of time flying for business (and I mean a lot) Business Class is a necessity, not a luxury.

Do that in economy and you'd be so jet lagged that you'd be essentially "unfit for duty" - not good when you're making decisions that can impact on both people's lives and on a multi-million dollar project.

If you want to rant at anybody, rant at those who want to pay only £34 to fly from London to Prague for a Stag Do (current price at Wizz Air). Environmentally savvy Europeans are swapping internal and short-haul flights for High Speed Trains. Many years ago I used to fly from BSL to CDG to work with a Prof in Paris, as soon as Switzerland got a TGV service, I swapped Air France for SNCF (door to door in about the same time, without all the airport hassle).

I'd love to be able to leisurely take the train from Switzerland to London, but with no direct connection (changing stations in Paris is a chore) and the "benefits of Brexit", it currently is not a reasonable alternative to a flight.

Couldn't you just come by boat? A nice chug down the Rhone/Seine. Just think of all that wonderful scenery you could 'contemplate' aka snaffling artisanal cakes and quoffing vintage vino collaspo whilst you floated serenely past.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 6

24 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Couldn't you just come by boat? A nice chug down the Rhone/Seine. Just think of all that wonderful scenery you could 'contemplate' aka snaffling artisanal cakes and quoffing vintage vino collaspo whilst you floated serenely past.

A great suggestion, were it not for the fact that I would need to report in pretty sharpish to SWMBO once I have managed my affairs in the UK. A leisurely cruise hither and yon would NOT contribute to marital harmony...

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Another fine cool morning.  I don't seem to have anything very urgent to do so now I have to think what I'd like to spend my day doing.

I mustn't think for too long or the day will be gone!

David

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, PupCam said:

I think I'm correct is saying that our GP has NEVER done Covid jabs.  Certainly all of mine have been done elsewhere.

Same with me but when I went to the large sports centre in town it became clear that a number of smaller practices from around the area had all joined together to set up one centralised vaccination centre and there were certainly staff from our local surgery there. When lockdown eased and the sports centre reopened, the centre moved to disused former office premises built by the Midland/LMS Railway near to Derby station. My last booster jab was at a local pharmacy - but flu jab next month is already booked at the surgery . . . . . . . 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

What doesn't help in UK is that NONE if our major international airports have proper rail connections. LHR has no serious rail service and LGW and LSTN have dedicated lines which take you to Central London. 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold

image.jpeg.afcae00db85f25edfacf70d586bdb2c9.jpeg
The station at London Southend Airport is very convenient. Though calling it “London” is a bit optimistic. It may be classed as an international airport but isn’t exactly “major” either. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning!

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

AKA "Cannon Fodder"?

I mean, think about it @Grizz - how else does PB become the preeminent cake snaffler around hete if it wasn't for the  help of an abundance of disposable minions (AKA "The Bear Team")?

Of course, you always hear about those famous bears that started working for PB and made it out the other side and went on to have great careers post PB; you know, Rupert Bear, Paddington Bear, Yogi Bear and so on. But you never hear about the poor sods that didn't make it; unlucky bears like Eric the Bear, Edwin Bear or - especially - Peter Bear (PB's unfortunate body double and stand in).

So, Grizz, be very wary about being on  "The Bear Team", after all - as Charles DeGaul (almost) said - "the graveyards are full of indispensable bears!"

11 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear doesn’t have “Minions” - he has partners….

And Bear ALWAYS stands shoulder to shoulder with The Team on the Front Line , if only to make sure I also get my snout in the trough before the rest of ‘em scoff it all first….

Now that is the best chuckle I've had in a very long time!    Well done chaps 😀

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

But only if they are full to capacity  each flight.   Is that the norm?

ION

Yesterday I did some, real, unadulterated railway meddling for a long time.     Not sort of related to RM (e.g. DCC electronic wizardry)  but full blown sticking bits of plastic to other bits of plastic.     I find the hardest bit of modelling is getting started.

This morning sees a trip to see David, a very dear railway modelling friend whom some here will know.   

This afternoon sees a trip to the hospital to check on how the wound on my skin graft donor site is healing.

This evening I might even do some more meddling!

TTFN

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

What doesn't help in UK is that NONE if our major international airports have proper rail connections. LHR has no serious rail service and LGW and LSTN have dedicated lines which take you to Central London. 

The option of as many as 25 trains an hour at LHR - Heathrow Express, Elizabeth Line and Piccadilly Line - would be fairly serious imho. They all go to central London but most also go out the other side offering direct or one-change options to much of the south of England. 

LGW also offers frequent services to a wider region and again includes direct trains to “north of London” including Bedford and Cambridge. And yes, one stop interchange with trains to most areas of the UK via Reading or Luton. 

Manchester Airport is linked directly by tram to many areas of the region and by train to destinations as far afield as Edinburgh

Birmingham and Glasgow Prestwick airports likewise 

Compare with Tees-side Airport which has just one Parliamentary train in one direction serving its own station and which truly does not enjoy “proper rail connections”. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Come on!

Is that his mum on the right?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I’m afraid your wrong there! 
Manchester airport DOES have a rail link, within the airport compound and is accessible from ALL 3 terminals. It also has a tram link too. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a bad night last night, didn't wake up until quarter to six and then dozed for another two hours. Sun is shining at the moment but the weathermen are predicting rain later.

• Like 13