The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

59 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Surely in that case the price would be increased to pay for all the e tra goodness? Avoid the cheap stuff that doesn't get all those extras. 

I seem to recall, somewhere, that British honey is considered better than European honey. Something to do with the fact British honey isn't 'diluted' with the addition of 'cheaper' honey. 

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

28 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

There.

Fixed it for you! 

Could our Swiss correspondent explain something from his last statement. What's a local baker?

Even more confused than normal from Manutopea.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I seem to recall, somewhere, that British honey is considered better than European honey. Something to do with the fact British honey isn't 'diluted' with the addition of 'cheaper' honey. 

It makes sense that we British would insist on higher standards, it's not without reason that we are revered globally as a nation of gastronauts.

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

54 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

The key is the small print, most honey in the shops is not "raw" honey, but diluted.

ps it is diluted with "sugar water" not honey, some have non eu blends, which is also high in sugar.

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

51 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Could our Swiss correspondent explain something from his last statement. What's a local baker?

We are fortunate to have bakers in all the local towns although most in Forfar are concerned with making Bridies rather than Bread or sweet pastries.

• Like 11

55 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

It makes sense that we British would insist on higher standards, it's not without reason that we are revered globally as a nation of gastronauts.

Please, remind me, how much did you say I could buy Buckingham Palace for?

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

You like honey?

I am surprised!

You do know it’s an all natural foodstuff without emulsifiers, anti-caking agents, stabilisers, flavour-enhancers….

Don’t let the long shelf life (as much as 2000 years according to archeologists) fool you, it’s about as far from UPF as you can get!

It's also a natural antibiotic.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Someone whose commercial premises are near where you live, knows how to bake things, works with real flour, yeast, butter, water, fruit, nuts, cream, eggs and milk, doesn’t have a degree in food chemistry.

Also has a very hot oven to bake things in, as opposed to just warming them up.

Alles klar?

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Had a very good night last night. Woken only once, by the dodgy knee by my twisting it as I turned in my sleep. Not decided what to do today so I had a lazy lie in to nine this morning.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Eight and a bit LDC’s?

But what if the flowers had been treated with chemicals, insecticides, acid rain….?

LDCs are verboten to diabetics...

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

You havin’ a LARF sunbeam, or wot?

Ask @Gwiwer about the quality of their (ostensibly) “Cornish” (imitation? Inspired by?) pasties?

Don’t confuse Greggs with Ginsters.  

The similarity ends with the initial letter G. Ginsters, or “The G-word” to some of us, make their products in Cornwall (just) with a factory in Callington within spitting distance of the border. Everything emanating therefrom is obnoxious in my opinion. 

Greggs sell pasties. They do not sell “Cornish pasties”. They are baked off locally in-store but the business is silent on where they are actually assembled and frozen. 

Neither offers products which comply with the PGI status and description of “Cornish pasty”. 

Greggs is well aware and acknowledges that whilst they sell pasties in Cornwall they are not of the traditional Cornish style or content.

The other mob doesn’t seem to care a jot and operates a business model akin to Starbucks of trampling the opposition and getting in everywhere. The Pasty Police may one day come knocking on the door of an industrial unit in eastern Cornwall 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

In other news a good evening was had yesterday. A friend came over for dinner and music. 

Friend has translated one of Dr SWMBO’s own songs into Cornish and the first few attempts were made to sing same. As neither of us is yet fluent in the language it was something of a phonetic exercise but sounded good and has promise as a project to take forward. 

“Deep Water” transcribes nicely as “Down Dowr” and the rest of it has been made to fit rather well.  No video capture yet. Which was a shame as the singing way accompanied by both ukulele and lyre (a combination which works well) so maybe next time.  

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

We buy bread from a local bakery in the nearby market which does wonderful banh mi baguette bread, the only thing is it needs to be eaten on day of purchase (preferably when it is still warm out of the oven) when it has a splendid crisp crust and light and airy inside, unfortunately it doesn't stay fresh. Then again if you can buy great fresh bread baked several times a day does it matter if it has a short shelf life?

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Someone whose commercial premises are near where you live, knows how to bake things, works with real flour, yeast, butter, water, fruit, nuts, cream, eggs and milk, doesn’t have a degree in food chemistry.

Also has a very hot oven to bake things in, as opposed to just warming them up.

We luckily hve two of these locally - the secret bakery in Ludow make lovely stuff - their cakes are fantastic, but they are only baked when the baker feels like it - their madeira cake with buttercream and jam is one such - only see that occasionally.  The rolls are excellent and keep for about three days.  The other is a bit easier to find, being in the high street in Church Stretton with a big sign outside "Mr Bun The Baker".  Both do a beef and vegetable pasty which makes no claims to have originated in Cornwall.   Still very tasty.  I do like a proper Cornish Pasty - big chunk of chuck steak, potatoes, onions, swede and lovely pastry.   The bakers in Boscastle used to do an excellent pasty, but it changed hands, and the new owners changed the recipe to something a but less enjoyable.

Not a lot to report here - 30747 has moved some of the furniture round but I am not so sure.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of freshly-baked bread locally here.  The Co-op sells a surprisingly good range and Warren's across the square is OK too but is n longer a local baker.  They sold out some years ago much to the annoyance of many local folk.  

Quite apart from our own home-baked (Dr. SWMBO presented us with a superb focaccia last night for example; not only made in our kitchen but including such delights as red wine salt) there's Vicky's Bread which is baked not far away and available from several local shops and the Saturday market.  

So there is no "sliced white" to be found in the cottage except when I fancy one of those thickly-sliced "tiger" things that make great toast.  Usually a choice of sourdough or brown-with-seeds and often an "artisan" loaf as well.  The bread knife certainly earns its keep.  And nothing ends up stale or mouldy because it's (mostly) locally made and keeps happily for several days in the cupboard.  

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Getting very warm and sticky but the sun's still shining. No sign of the predicted thunderstorms and according to the forecasters they will be happening further west.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Its been a warm day, with some sun. Not a drop of rain or a rumble of the promised thunderstorms either.  I notice that the pinecone prognosticators are hinting that Monday will be blessed with them too...

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

There hasn't been much rain so far, just every now and then for about 5 minutes and then it stops.  There is a warning of thunderstorms for the rest of the day and tomorrow but the local forecast just shows a bit of light rain now and dry tomorrow.

This morning I did as I had planned, by coffee time all the main jobs were done.  So I had a leisurely coffee while reading a magazine and then cooked my lunch - the pulled pork along with boiled new potatoes and carrots was very tasty, then I had a sponge pudding.  After that I fed the greenhouse plants and tubs - I don't think it will be needed many more times this year.  I picked quite a lot more tomatoes, neighbours might get given some tomorrow as I can't eat them all.

Then it was time to watch the Grand Prix, I'll say nothing about it so as not to spoil it for those who watch the highlights later.

Since then I have read a bit more and spent some time deleting programmes I have watched from my PVR.  I find that sometimes recording something is quicker than trying to find find it on the various companies' catch up services.  Also if I forget to watch it I can still find it a long time later.

Once again this evening will probably be a mix of TV, music and book - just as it would have been around 50 or even over 60 years ago.

David

Edited by DaveF
To correct punctuation
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3