The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I had to take a picture and zoom in to confirm the state on the number plate

At least it's the right colour and font.  Government vehicles (only) carry red characters with a red border.  Others use blue, black or green largely according to preference it seems.  The first letter M is also reserved for "Melbourne" official vehicles and cannot be used by any old Bruce, Sheila or Harry.  Other than that, a few other "specified series" and subject to decency you can have pretty much what you want.  

Oddly when I looked into it all reasonable options for "GWIWER" including substituting numbers for letters where possible were already in use.  Likewise "GUNZEL" was already appropriated (no surprises there) as that is the term used in Oz for a transport enthusiast.  Usually a railfan but also applied to tram, bus and even aircraft "spotters" and used both in a derogatory and semi-respectful sense.  To be called a gunzel might be serially offensive.  Or it might be an acknowledgement of interest, knowledge or standing within the community.  The US term "foamer" is occasionally used in similar terms.  

Probably all of the "job title" registrations are long-taken in any recognisable form.  "PLUMMA", "PLUMER" and "PLMMER" for example, or "TRAMMY", "TRAMIE", "TRAMEE" for tram drivers.  "TRAM59" was in the proud ownership of the Essendon tram depot manager which ran route 59.  

Even the police sometimes got in on the act.  High-powered patrol cars which cruised the freeways could be found wearing "NICKED", "GOTCHA" "COPCAR" and "SLWDWN"  

Buses and coaches seldom wore custom plates.  Many carry "AO" or "AC" plates meaning Authorised Operator / Authorised Carrier in the series from AO0001 upwards.  Nothing - that I ever saw - as clever as that on the Neoplan Skyliner coach I saw several times in Devon; this 12-metre long double-deck monster proudly went by the identity of B19 BUS.  Doesn't take much thinking about ..... 

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I took advantage of Melbourne's rigid grid system.  If I wanted to turn right at intersection A, I would drive through it and turn left at intersection B, then turn left again then once more so I could end up driving straight through Intersection A in the direction I wanted to go, thus avoiding the hook turn!

Proving that, while two wrongs don’t make a right, three lefts do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Unglaublich, einfach unglaublich. Wenn die Deutschen so dumm waren, wie kommt es dann, dass es sechs lange und blutige Jahre und über 20 Millionen Opfer dauerte, sie zu besiegen?

I think the people you were quoting were referring to the only German phrases anyone  who hadn’t formally studied the language may have come across. All boys 1950s, 60s comics seemed to have a war story serial with British chaps being terribly, terribly brave or escaping from POW camps. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

For younger readers of this forum who didn’t have such classics as “The Flowerpot Men” here are the speakers of “Flobalob” and their Weed

IMG_0284.png.d98dcaacce8e1e6be232b6e6870f3b32.png

Ah, the boys from A Castleford allotment. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Ignorance makes for a more biddable and controllable populace.

You don’t want them to know enough to start asking awkward questions, which is why book burning and censorship (of all types) is so popular amongst dictators, “strongman” politicians, pseudo-dictators and those who find much to admire in Stalin (and fellow travellers).

What you want is a populace that is easily distracted by panem et circenses, believe what they are told and vote as the powers-that-be wish - giving the government the veneer of respectability and of being “democratically” chosen.

As recent events in the UK have shown, the “powers-that-be” (the “mediarati”, members of the body politic, leaders of [supposedly] public services) get really shirty if “the proles” vote the “wrong” way or express the “wrong” opinions…

No, I think it's something in the national character. 

I've long thought that the bulldog was a good avatar for the British. The bulldog, let's remind ourselves, is an animal bred to fight large, dangerous animals several times its own size. This isn't a lifestyle conducive to inward reflection. However, once the bulldog gets a grip, you just try and make it let go... 

The English have a certain literal-mindedness which they flatter themselves is "common sense". This tends to mean that you can say things quite openly which make no sense in their view, and they just don't take it in. 

Well within living memory they have taken their grievances to the polls, and produced change. I rather think this is happening again. 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

And cricket words from the Indian sub continent..

Tikka,  tikka

Shabbash! Shabbash! (As heard on the Freddie Flintoff programme last night)

Baz

It's amazing how Freddie Flintoff has been able to turn those lads around. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

YAWN...

Well, Monday evening the weather "exploded" and we got some seriously dark skies and storms. Jemma lost power around 8PM and came over to borrow a couple more flahslights.

No problem we felt, as wee were bathing in the luxury of power and light. Beware, DO NOT speak too soon...

Around 5AM Tuesday there was a huge flash of lightning and clap of thunder and just like that something like half the south-western suburbs lost power!! During the downpour in the early hours we amassed a total of 2.5 inches of rain winds were reported around 59-70mph, plenty of trees and tree debris to be seen everywhere.

We were "lucky" as it was restored to us around noon, but there are still 29,000, as of this morning, still without power. Apparently, SOME may not get power restored until sometime tomorrow!

I gave up on the idea of working around 11AM and decided to drive the Mrs to her dental appointment. Car = air conditioning 😉

Spent the rest of the day relaxing and hearing updates to the power issues on the radio.

Today, weather a vast improvement and we woke to a cooler 17c with light breeze and overcast skies. 27c the expected high and no more rain until tomorrow supposedly.

Carry on...

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

Unglaublich, einfach unglaublich. Wenn die Deutschen so dumm waren, wie kommt es dann, dass es sechs lange und blutige Jahre und über 20 Millionen Opfer dauerte, sie zu besiegen? Zwetmal though numbers may differ.

Afternoon Awl,

Three sections of rodent fencing installed, but moving two 3ft by 2ft concrete slabs that were in the way, deleted all energy left.

Three more sections todo.

Managed to destroy a thing that changes directions on parallel bits of metal. Was just trying to get it level. It's replacement is.

Lots grey stuff PVA'd much more is currently dry, going to have to order more grey stuff..

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 11

On the subject of spouting rubbish, here's something from The Times (from yesterday)

<The British Red Cross has asked staff to avoid using the term “maiden name” and the phrase “ladies and gentlemen” in a new inclusive language guide. The charity is said to have circulated a 12-page handbook designed to help staff recognise that some “language can be harmful, triggering or emotive.....

The guidance also asks staff to avoid the term “illegal migration”. Alternative descriptions, it says, include “person in search of safety” or “person experiencing migration”. It also says the terms “from a minoritised ethnic group” or “global majority” should be used rather than “from a minority ethnic group”. Ageist terms such as “elderly”, “youngster” and “pensioner” are discouraged" >

I shall take great pleasure in describing myself as an "elderly gentleman pensioner" and if I inform the Red Cross that I self-identify as an "elderly gentleman pensioner" by their own reasoning they will have to use that description!

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

It's been a quiet day.  A batch of photos has been sent off so that's a task completed and ticked off the list.  It took quite a bit longer than I had expected.

I took a large bag of books to a charity shop, the box in the garage is now empty so I can refilling it as I read more books, mainly novels.  While I was out I met someone I used to know at the camera club, like me he has stopped going.  We agreed that there is too much emphasis on "manipulation" of photos, we both like taking photos which don't need much alteration.

I've done odds and ends in the garden between mainly light showers.  Every time I go outside it rains, as soon as I come back in the rain stops.  

To check how my bladder etc is performing I have started making a note of how much liquid I drink and how much is excreted.  So far it is as expected.

It doesn't sound much but I've been busy all day.

David

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

On the subject of spouting rubbish, here's something from The Times (from yesterday)

<The British Red Cross has asked staff to avoid using the term “maiden name” and the phrase “ladies and gentlemen” in a new inclusive language guide. The charity is said to have circulated a 12-page handbook designed to help staff recognise that some “language can be harmful, triggering or emotive.....

The guidance also asks staff to avoid the term “illegal migration”. Alternative descriptions, it says, include “person in search of safety” or “person experiencing migration”. It also says the terms “from a minoritised ethnic group” or “global majority” should be used rather than “from a minority ethnic group”. Ageist terms such as “elderly”, “youngster” and “pensioner” are discouraged" >

I shall take great pleasure in describing myself as an "elderly gentleman pensioner" and if I inform the Red Cross that I self-identify as an "elderly gentleman pensioner" by their own reasoning they will have to use that description!

I find almost all the changes in the use of language annoy me as I feel devalued - I am a retired gentleman, a pensioner and an elderly male.  If I am called something else I can get annoyed and have been known to tell people I am speaking to quite bluntly.  It  seems to me that people now like to be "upset" so thay can complain.

It is about as good as the various names that have been used for toilet over the years to avoid upsetting people.

David

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I do get confused by some of the more subtle symbols used to differentiate toilets.

I don't really mind what folks call me. At least they call me something. One of the ladies at our local shop calls everyone "my love". Though I do miss not being called "Sir K" by some of the children when I was working at school...

One of my pet hates is people calling children "kids".

Anyway guys, have a great evening!

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

The British Red Cross has asked staff to avoid using the term “maiden name” and the phrase “ladies and gentlemen” in a new inclusive language guide.

What do they recommend should be used instead of these terms? I do like the term of address for a mixed group I’ve heard used in the southern US - “All y’all”.

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I do get confused by some of the more subtle symbols used to differentiate toilets.

The toilet signage on Cunard’s new ship is very indistinct. The signs are small as well. Aditi and I thought the little person outline was a woman wearing a skirt. Aditi exited quite quickly when she noticed a man using a urinal. The image upon close inspection is of a person wearing a long jacket. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just taken a couple of hours eyelid inspection and feeling a lot better for it.

You can call me what you like as long as it's not late for dinner.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

17 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

A ‘casual’ restaurant we sometimes eat in when visiting a son and his family has non-human symbols on the toilet doors.

One symbol is of the male of a domesticated avian species. The other is of a cute young member of a domesticated feline species.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

A further example of 'rubbish speak' borrowed from the forum joke thread.

10 minutes ago, newbryford said:

FB_IMG_1724865174631.jpg.bf4222da45f242739a33c7bcc96ae940.jpg

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. When I opened the fridge this morning the light blinked and then expired. The fridge/freezer is about thirty years old so it owes me nothing. After yesterdays shop the fridge is pretty full so in a few days when the fridge is less full I'll check it out properly. I could just leave it but who knows what I might find lurking in the back of the fridge next time I defrost it?

Bear's money is on a blown bulb....

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Unbelievable, just unbelievable. If the Germans were so stupid, how is it that it took six long and bloody years and over 20 million victims to defeat them?

Our Great Big House was (a) dumb enough to believe them, and (b) stupid enough not to keep pace with their stock of modern armaments.

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

What amazing linguistic skills,

Another Brexit benefit?

I'll have you know that Bill & Ben were 20 years ahead of the EU Bunch - and spoke more common sense than the lot of 'em have ever managed since.

Now if the BRC think coming up with b0llox like that is a good way to spend Donor's money then I reckon it's a very good reason to not to donate to them

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good evening ladies and gentlemen - or alternatively - Oi, you lot, siddown and shurrup...

Rattingfugginturdycurses! We had someone from the Red Cross round earlier this afternoon, I could have had some fun there. 🤡 Anyway, no money was handed over. 

ION, I made it rain by getting the mower out to cut part of the meadow. Almost as effective a piece of black magic as Baz going to Australia on a cricket tour... 

No monsoon but enough to cause problems, so I put the mower away and did some painting inside. I find it can often be therapeutic, painting walls and ceilings*. Practical and not unskilled but not requiring excessive thought or effort. I needed a bit of an unwind after a visit to the doctors. Then later, some cogitating done on building issues. And trees and shrubs. 

Then it was time for tea and catching up with messages. Another day in the fast lane. 

* No, I'm not free next Saturday! 

• Like 10
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

If people want to rename us we should rename them, any suggestions?😄

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Almost certainly your version would be understood but the corrected version above.

Nope it should read "Frittes mit Chip Sauce Bitte"

BAOR speak . 

Of course you could go the whole hog and have Ein Kurrywurst Bitte".....

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spellung
  • Like 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I've long thought that the bulldog was a good avatar for the British

Can’t run, can’t breathe properly, eye defects, can’t bite but has a lovely temperament. Also may need AI to breed.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 8