The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear also knows a little German, picked up thru' years of study....

"Hande Hoch"

"Nein, Nein"

"Actung, Achtung"

You forgot

For you ze Vor iss Ova!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Didn't sleep well for no apparent reason. pah!

Won a whole £2.80 on the euro millions last night.. May use that to buy another ticket.

Currently a bit damp here but the sun is now shining..

I need to go and get the shark ready for the weekly house clean..  

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

If you're to going to play "it's a long way " on the bagpipes there's more than one note.

Mooring Awl,

3.5 hours sleep, 2 hours sleep, 1.5 hours sleep .. Good.

When I fell over taking the notices down, I hadn't realised I'd hit my hip as well, yesterday I started limping a bit because of pain on the inside of my right hip.. This morning I have a magnificent purple bruise just there, I must have caught the corner of the notice board as I went down.

BSW01's music list just about matches mine, plus some historical 1400 - 1915 music that would have been popular at the time, though that crosses over into what is called folk music.

If they taught conversational French at my first secondary school, maybe more of us would have got on with it, but no it wasn't, it was deep into grammar, more so than the English we were doing at the time.

Today hip permitting, I've got more anti rodent mesh to put up, when I've had enough of that, some fine grey gravel and PVA need to meet.

Time first for a late breaky...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. When I opened the fridge this morning the light blinked and then expired. The fridge/freezer is about thirty years old so it owes me nothing. After yesterdays shop the fridge is pretty full so in a few days when the fridge is less full I'll check it out properly. I could just leave it but who knows what I might find lurking in the back of the fridge next time I defrost it?

👀

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

I hope all goes well BSW01.

Not a brilliant start this morning but I did sleep a bit better.  Bladder is still being awkward but there are signs of it settling down, fingers crossed.  More liquid is being removed from the body.

It's mildish but very grey once again so it will be another day at home.  There may be a quick trip to a charity shop to take some boks, then home for coffee.

I ought to sort out some photos but I could just as easily do nothing.  There is a nice piece of salmon in the fridge for lunch.

David

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

You forgot

For you ze Vor iss Ova!

Followed by Raus! Raus! Appel!

(Something to do with "Your baked apple is ready", I believe...)

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

11 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Using classical or easy listening music as a deterrent has worked wonders in the past, with Macarthur Square employing the tactic in March 2009 to keep unruly teens away. The centre also  blasted Barry Manilow during late night shopping on Thursdays to great effect, proving the younger generation has no love for such hits as I Write The Songs and Copacobana.

From  the Sydney "Daily Telegraph November 21, 2013

If they’re not careful they’ll be encouraging  SAGA louts!

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Useful German sayings...

Zwei bier bitte!

Eine Bratwurst mit pomme frittes bitte!

And cricket words from the Indian sub continent..

Tikka,  tikka

Shabbash! Shabbash! (As heard on the Freddie Flintoff programme last night)

Baz

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Didn't sleep well for no apparent reason. pah!

You and me both.  I might need to call the sleep unit later and ask for a review.  I suspect the machine isn't working quite as it should.  

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

f you're to going to play "it's a long way " on the bagpipes there's more than one note.

And please note that it is usually sung (at least by Aussies) as "It's a long way to the shop when you want a sausage roll"  

Speaking of Aussies .....

(Perhaps @Gwiwer will be happy to discuss the Hook Turn at 1 minute  20, I've never understood them!)

Ah yes.  The Great Melburnian Confuse-a-car Turn.  Intended to prevent cars delaying trams by stopping on their tracks whilst waiting to turn right.  

Trams are higher in the pecking order than deities in Melbourne.  Rule One states : "Thou Shalt Not Delay A Tram".  So with a gridiron street pattern and trams running down the centre of many of the busier streets the City of Melbourne adopted the hook turn.  It works because there is a lot of space in Melbourne.  And it doesn't work because it is confusing and illogical.  Unless you take your driving test at just one centre you will not be able to perform one for assessment purposes and there is no obligation to practice them as a learner.  Many drivers who live outside the inner Melbourne suburbs or are visitors have never encountered them and are flummoxed.  

Screenshot2024-08-28at11_01_55.png.a5680f8875f62a513e9401882043a32c.png

At designated intersections there are "Right turn from left only" signs as you approach.  The correct way to perform a hook turn is to approach in the left-hand lane (there are usually two plus the tram tracks) signalling right.  When the light is green for your approach direction you then enter the intersection and move in to the left to clear your lane; the first one or two cars can then line up facing the direction they are about to go and wait at the red light for that street.  Others wait behind in the space across the central parking lane until full and if there are still more then you wait your turn stationary at a green light signalling right. All very confusing for many.  

Stop lines are set back at intersections where hook turns apply meaning there is space for those first few turning cars to wait at the red ahead of traffic coming down the cross street.  Typically four to five cars at a time can make a hook turn on one phase of the lights.  

When you turn to the right and face a red light you STOP and wait for it to turn green.  You then go and have priority over the traffic coming straight down, crossing the tram tracks and the street you have just left to complete your right turn.  

Many Melburnians find them helpful.  Trammies certainly do.  Many non-Melburnians (even those from the suburbs who are unfamiliar with them) dislike them and get the moves wrong.  

Typical errors are:-

1. Making a direct right turn from the right-hand lane either waiting your turn or moving onto the tram tracks to await a clear space to cross.  

2. Getting the actual "hook" move right but failing to stop as you face into the next street and going ahead as soon as there is a gap, either all the way or lane-by-lane

3. Blasting your horn or flashing your headlights at the driver in front who is signalling right in the left-hand lane but is correctly waiting their turn to enter the "hook" waiting area 

4. Making a direct right turn from the left-hand lane without going around the hook and waiting for the other lights to turn green.

Any of those is likely to get you some demerits if spotted by the Government Revenue-Raising Force Victorian Police.  And often a fine and stern talking-to as well.  Any move which blocks or impedes a tram will also get you a frantic cacophony of horns and gongs from one of those beasts - heavier than an ocean liner and never coming off second-best in a contre-temps.  Some also carry dash-cams the evidence from which will get you the demerits, fine etc., as above.  Failing to stop when completing the hook is a red-light offence and in addition to the infringements can get you cleaned up by traffic passing green lights; remember there are usually four lanes of traffic and two tram tracks to cross so it's a lot to watch out for!  

The wise-up motorist who knows where hook turns are located will approach in the right-hand lane if gong straight ahead to avoid being blocked by turning traffic.  Left and right turns might both have to stop and give way; left turns may well find the pedestrian crossing lights on the entry street are on "walk" which, under Aussie Rules*, means you must stop and give way to all pedestrians even though you have just passed a green light.  

And once again - Trams Rule OK.  A Melbourne trams is not required to give way to anyone or anything except for emergency vehicles travelling under blue/ red lights, a State Procession and a funeral cortege.  Certainly not to wayward motorists who have failed to take note of the universal ruling that "When in Rome ..... "  

* Not the same Aussie Rules as a favoured local sport.  

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear also knows a little German, picked up thru' years of study....

"Hande Hoch"

"Nein, Nein"

"Actung, Achtung"

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

You forgot

For you ze Vor iss Ova!

51 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Followed by Raus! Raus! Appel!

Unglaublich, einfach unglaublich. Wenn die Deutschen so dumm waren, wie kommt es dann, dass es sechs lange und blutige Jahre und über 20 Millionen Opfer dauerte, sie zu besiegen?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A propos classical music, there has long been a fetish of ignorance among the English lower orders. I don't know why this is, but it has been in existence since the War at least. 

Interestingly enough, Orwell doesn't mention it on his essay on the national character. He certainly describes the proles as lacking in education, but they are certainly literate (cf Julia's job in a department composing mass literature semi-automatically). The Thought Police certainly monitor them, looking for signs of education or independence of mind. 

In an early Coronation St storyline, Ken Barlow clashes with his father over attending University; paterfamilias is opposed on the grounds that "that isn't for the likes of us", more-or-less. To be fair, University appears to have turned young Ken (how strange that phrase seems!) into a serial polygamous philanderer with a minor sideline in local journalism, so perhaps he was right...

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

4 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Unglaublich, einfach unglaublich. Wenn die Deutschen so dumm waren, wie kommt es dann, dass es sechs lange und blutige Jahre und über 20 Millionen Opfer dauerte, sie zu besiegen?

Flobbalob. Flob blobbalob. WEEEEEDDD!!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 12

35 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

You and me both.  I might need to call the sleep unit later and ask for a review.  I suspect the machine isn't working quite as it should.  

And please note that it is usually sung (at least by Aussies) as "It's a long way to the shop when you want a sausage roll"  

Speaking of Aussies .....

Ah yes.  The Great Melburnian Confuse-a-car Turn.  Intended to prevent cars delaying trams by stopping on their tracks whilst waiting to turn right.  

Trams are higher in the pecking order than deities in Melbourne.  Rule One states : "Thou Shalt Not Delay A Tram".  So with a gridiron street pattern and trams running down the centre of many of the busier streets the City of Melbourne adopted the hook turn.  It works because there is a lot of space in Melbourne.  And it doesn't work because it is confusing and illogical.  Unless you take your driving test at just one centre you will not be able to perform one for assessment purposes and there is no obligation to practice them as a learner.  Many drivers who live outside the inner Melbourne suburbs or are visitors have never encountered them and are flummoxed.  

Screenshot2024-08-28at11_01_55.png.a5680f8875f62a513e9401882043a32c.png

At designated intersections there are "Right turn from left only" signs as you approach.  The correct way to perform a hook turn is to approach in the left-hand lane (there are usually two plus the tram tracks) signalling right.  When the light is green for your approach direction you then enter the intersection and move in to the left to clear your lane; the first one or two cars can then line up facing the direction they are about to go and wait at the red light for that street.  Others wait behind in the space across the central parking lane until full and if there are still more then you wait your turn stationary at a green light signalling right. All very confusing for many.  

Stop lines are set back at intersections where hook turns apply meaning there is space for those first few turning cars to wait at the red ahead of traffic coming down the cross street.  Typically four to five cars at a time can make a hook turn on one phase of the lights.  

When you turn to the right and face a red light you STOP and wait for it to turn green.  You then go and have priority over the traffic coming straight down, crossing the tram tracks and the street you have just left to complete your right turn.  

Many Melburnians find them helpful.  Trammies certainly do.  Many non-Melburnians (even those from the suburbs who are unfamiliar with them) dislike them and get the moves wrong.  

Typical errors are:-

1. Making a direct right turn from the right-hand lane either waiting your turn or moving onto the tram tracks to await a clear space to cross.  

2. Getting the actual "hook" move right but failing to stop as you face into the next street and going ahead as soon as there is a gap, either all the way or lane-by-lane

3. Blasting your horn or flashing your headlights at the driver in front who is signalling right in the left-hand lane but is correctly waiting their turn to enter the "hook" waiting area 

4. Making a direct right turn from the left-hand lane without going around the hook and waiting for the other lights to turn green.

Any of those is likely to get you some demerits if spotted by the Government Revenue-Raising Force Victorian Police.  And often a fine and stern talking-to as well.  Any move which blocks or impedes a tram will also get you a frantic cacophony of horns and gongs from one of those beasts - heavier than an ocean liner and never coming off second-best in a contre-temps.  Some also carry dash-cams the evidence from which will get you the demerits, fine etc., as above.  Failing to stop when completing the hook is a red-light offence and in addition to the infringements can get you cleaned up by traffic passing green lights; remember there are usually four lanes of traffic and two tram tracks to cross so it's a lot to watch out for!  

The wise-up motorist who knows where hook turns are located will approach in the right-hand lane if gong straight ahead to avoid being blocked by turning traffic.  Left and right turns might both have to stop and give way; left turns may well find the pedestrian crossing lights on the entry street are on "walk" which, under Aussie Rules*, means you must stop and give way to all pedestrians even though you have just passed a green light.  

And once again - Trams Rule OK.  A Melbourne trams is not required to give way to anyone or anything except for emergency vehicles travelling under blue/ red lights, a State Procession and a funeral cortege.  Certainly not to wayward motorists who have failed to take note of the universal ruling that "When in Rome ..... "  

* Not the same Aussie Rules as a favoured local sport.  

I took advantage of Melbourne's rigid grid system.  If I wanted to turn right at intersection A, I would drive through it and turn left at intersection B, then turn left again then once more so I could end up driving straight through Intersection A in the direction I wanted to go, thus avoiding the hook turn!

Speaking of Melbourne police, I'm collecting a monthly series that's running here of 1:43 scale (ie O gauge)models of  Australian cars. Recently I got a Commodore in Victorian Police colours, though I had to take a picture and zoom in to confirm the state on the number plate, its very tiny writing..

image.png.6db72a4f3867a114eee9285dc436f8ac.png

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Useful German sayings...

Eine Bratwurst mit Pommes   frittes bitte!

Baz

Almost certainly your version would be understood but the corrected version above.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Flobbalob. Flob blobbalob. WEEEEEDDD!!

What amazing linguistic skills,

Another Brexit benefit?

Edited by iL Dottore
Wording
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6

31 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

A propos classical music, there has long been a fetish of ignorance among the English lower orders. I don't know why this is, but it has been in existence since the War at least. 

Ignorance makes for a more biddable and controllable populace.

You don’t want them to know enough to start asking awkward questions, which is why book burning and censorship (of all types) is so popular amongst dictators, “strongman” politicians, pseudo-dictators and those who find much to admire in Stalin (and fellow travellers).

What you want is a populace that is easily distracted by panem et circenses, believe what they are told and vote as the powers-that-be wish - giving the government the veneer of respectability and of being “democratically” chosen.

As recent events in the UK have shown, the “powers-that-be” (the “mediarati”, members of the body politic, leaders of [supposedly] public services) get really shirty if “the proles” vote the “wrong” way or express the “wrong” opinions…

• Like 4

I can speak any language in the world, I speak in English slowly, wave my arms about a lot and shout when appropriate, they all seem to understand me, though I have on occasion not got the food/beer/wine I ordered, but hey they will all learn eventually.......................................................😎

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 6
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I can speak any language in the world, I speak in English slowly, wave my arms about a lot and shout when appropriate, they all seem to understand me, though I have on occasion not got the food/beer/wine I ordered, but hey they will all learn eventually.......................................................😎

As the saying goes, we didn't lend the world our tongue for our ears to be offended by gibberish💪

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Afteroon All,

Been into Ludlow to the secret bakers - but to add my ten penn'orth to some of the debates ongoing.

As I passed my qualifying exam (Scottish 11+) at a Junior Secondary school (two years secondary then a further exam to see whether you were good for the academy, high school, or another year at the same school then leave at 15) I was in the A stream, so took French and Latin (no choices).   I then passed for the Academy, where I was "advised" to continue French and Latin by my father's colleagues (see later).

At the Academy, I had two absolutely fabulous English teachers who could bring the modern classics to life - 1984, Animal Fatm, Brave New World, Lord of the Flies, Billy Liar, The Loneliness if the Long Distance Runner, and many others.  One of these was Wiliam Mcilvanney who was a quite successful novelist.

As to music, my late father was my music teacher while I was in primary school and the first two years in secondary (long term readers will recall that we discovered that at a previous school, he had also been the late Jock 67B's music teacher.  It also had its disadvantages as when he punished anybody for misbehaving it always came back on me in the form of some sort of retribution.  And my secondary subjects were chosen with input from all his colleagues, and little consultation with me.  However, he also had an ability to make the classics talk in a similar way to the English teachers at the Academy - I still listen to the pieces that he loved - Scheherezade was one such which still moves me to tears when I hear it.  That's not to say that he was stuck in the classics, and played in many local clubs and in dance bands - and he educated me to accompany him on guitar - which also meant I had to drive to the gigs - thereby letting him have a few Bells and Special Brews without fear of any police involvement.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Tikka,  tikka

What Indian cricketers call out that sounds like tikka is  phonetically “theek hai” which means the same as “OK”. Shabash is like great, well done , bravo . I only know this as I asked what an Indian team were calling out to each other.whenmiwas watching a test match in the television once. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I took advantage of Melbourne's rigid grid system.  If I wanted to turn right at intersection A, I would drive through it and turn left at intersection B, then turn left again then once more so I could end up driving straight through Intersection A in the direction I wanted to go, thus avoiding the hook turn!

Exactly as I did on most occasions.  You could end up gridlocked and waiting quite some time on occasions though.  That is the "London right turn" where you may not turn right in many locations and are directed to go ahead, left, left, left and ahead around the block to do so.  

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 45156 said:

my late father was my music teacher while I was in primary school and the first two years in secondary (long term readers will recall that we discovered that at a previous school, he had also been the late Jock 67B's music teacher

Not in the school sense but my late father was also one of my teachers when it came to appreciating music.  

After his passing I inherited his classical CD collection of over 800 discs.  So far I have listened to around 50 and have a long-term hope to re-create his hand-written catalogue as a searchable electronic file.  

While he and I seldom shared the same tastes he introduced me to some pieces I might never otherwise have heard.  A few turn up in his library from time to time where after a tedious hour or more of a little-known symphony something suddenly has my ears pricked up and sounds rather interesting.  

He was never a fan of "modern" music.  Having been a child of the 1950s and still enjoying the popular music of those times I "graduated" into 1960s pop, 1970s rock and 1980s punk before becoming a big fan of the folk-rock idiom and managing pub-circuit bands of that ilk for a time.  Father never "got into" that and insisted on referring to such as Steeleye Span as the "Steel@rse Band"  

Remembering our much-missed departed ERs such as Jock 67B brings to mind that I only came to know Chrisf in what proved to be late in his life but in time to share a supreme love of the same folk music and share a few beers and stories.  

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5