The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

I'll offer my paltry efforts at Sunday Funnies:

On the subject of dogs and trees

dogqueue.jpg.933804fccf18fe6e2b7916cc6f766f35.jpg

Oh dear, I think I'm about to go on a list ....

Bearsstream.png.20f97b9a910e6e41497baa303f68c84b.png

The Aussie sense of humour?

aussiewelcome.jpg.fda07d3fc7bad50ccb8881aff4bba003.jpg

One for @DaveF?

elfsafety.jpg.cd8d5c85e3cc5fd78c13144f3f977aed.jpg

And for our horticulturally minded ERs

topiarymessages.png.b92ccc0e77959ba98e6a847a249a6cef.png

Enjoy the weekend!

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Lamb chops cooked and now consumed (with lashings of mint sauce of course) - Yummy!

Next  I will be on duty as the family Barista after that I shall be sitting down and watching the new Guy Martin programme on Ch 4 @ 9:00pm.

After that, well, bed I suppose although I might just explore Beaver Games Inglenook Shunting.  Thanks  @The White Rabbit  for the link!

TTFN

UPDATE 1:      13.33 minutes for first Inglenook train.   Well, it was my first go and I went wrong 🤣

UPATE 2:         That was better and that includes the time to post Update 1.   I feel I could get stuck ....

image.png.e1f812bcec358a92538fbc32c96016b9.png

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 5

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Like @Hroth remarked yesterday in posting the above I got a 503:

As is evident - RMweb is fine. It's mostly Early Risers transactions that are affected.

I'm not surprised that a 503 serice is unattainable, as the last of those Wirral/Mersey EMUs were withdrawn in 1985...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Her memory seems stuck in a cycle of unpleasant or critical memories. 

I know a Certain Bear with similar issues....

ION.....

The Triple Hilly Wander + Diversion was completed post-din dins; around 4 miles/10k paw prints completed.  That's a Tick.

Another drive of Bertie the Bosch completed; apparently washing dark colours and light colours is a no-no - it normally doesn't bother Bear (and I don't have problems) but as some of the stuff was new I figured I'd better jump thru' the hoops for a change......

A wallow has also been completed - I find that falling asleep at the same time is remarkable easy.....

I also renewed the home insurance - it'll come as no surprise to fellow ER'ers to learn that the cost has jumped from £195 to £236 this year 🤬.  Two years ago it was the best part of a ton less than that.....

Did I bother using the price comparison sites?  Well as good 'ol Confused had sent an email saying theirs was £258 (and I usually find that a certain bunch of Meerkats quote similar) I didn't bother.  T0ssers.

BG

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

15 hours ago, polybear said:

Most definitely not our finest moment.

.....followed by rubbing salt in the wound.  I could very happily spend some very "entertaining moments" testing a flame-thrower on such people.

(Sadly it STILL goes on in the UK, though not with Bears).

As for those who partake in "Dancing Bears"......🤬🤬🤬**

Fortunately most countries have made this illegal, though Siberia and Pakistan apparently still have them; you may also see them in very small numbers in Nepal and India.

(**Have a quick Google as to the methods used by those who "train" Bears to do such things....downright f.cruel doesn't even come close.....)

Dont Google "bear bile farming" ........

11 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I've been following both the PO Horizon Inquiry and the US Presidential Election.

Two thoughts strike me:
1. Management and governance in the PO have been extremely poor, and may be a reflection of other areas of the UK business economy which hold us back.

2. I'm beginning to feel sorry for members of the GOP in the US; their party seems to have been hijacked by a personality cult. 

They had numerous opportunities to put an end to it, including 2 impeachments,  so sucked in.

I see that the same GOP Bozo in charge of the "impeach Joe Biden" inquiry has announced he wants to hold one into the new  Democrat VP nominee  because his wedding date is the same as the Tiananmen Square massacre and he visited China  over 30 years ago so is almost certainly a sleeper agent. 

Those  Chinese obviously play the long game...

11 hours ago, Hroth said:

Speaking of the US Presidential election, I got an email from Joe Biden this morning, endorsing Kamala Harris as the next President. 

Not a clue WHY!

Bit harsh, she seems ok.

I like how in one of her recent speeches she included the bit (paraphrased):

"No where else in the world can a middle class daughter of immigrants and a farm boy from Nebraska grow up to be President and Vice President of the United States!!!!"

Yep - both a crowd pleaser AND 100% true!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Don't Google "bear bile farming" ........

No need - I know about that one as well.....

🤬🤬

6 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Bit harsh, she seems ok.

I like in her speeches how she includes the bit (paraphrased):

"No where else in the world can a middle class daughter of immigrants and a farm boy from Nebraska grow up to be President and Vice President of the United States!!!!"

Yep - both a crowd pleaser AND 100% true!

Bear reckons she's got every chance of doing a pretty good job too.  If she walks the walk as well as she talks the talk then she should be pretty good - and infinitely better than the alternative (not hard....)

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Time to add to Australia's population , bring back transportation to the colonies .   😎

"Its too hot!"

"There's spiders!"

"You cant get a decent cup of tea ANYWHERE!"

"The fish and chips aren't like they are back home!"  

Yep, still sounds like it would be an effective deterrent.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 5

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

"Its too hot!"

"There's spiders!"

Wont worry me , I'm not he one coming .  😆

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I then had an idea. Could they take a decent photo of the cheque then email it to me.  They did and I printed it out on photo paper at good resolution. Despite 10 attempts this didn't work.

I wondered why I couldn't pay in cheques via the scanner and PC but only via the mobile App.

I don't know but I surmise that because the mobile App is responsible for taking the image of the cheque and directly processing and transferring it to the bank it is essentially a "sealed" process with which the user can not interfere with the image.    On the other hand if Joe Public scans the cheque on his PC scanner, than imports it to Photoshop, does his own processing (malicious or otherwise) and then "sends it to the bank" there's plenty of opportunity for foul play.

As I say, I don't know that actually to be the reason why you cant "scan your own cheques" but when I thought the process through it seemed entirely logical to this Pup.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I'm not surprised that a 503 serice is unattainable, as the last of those Wirral/Mersey EMUs were withdrawn in 1985...

"503" is the traditional area code for Oregon. All my telephone numbers begin with 503. Newer mobile numbers use 971.

People sell decals like this:

image.png.dad0212cf3e35d2c5d068b976c940fd1.png

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

5 hours ago, polybear said:

I also renewed the home insurance - it'll come as no surprise to fellow ER'ers to learn that the cost has jumped from £195 to £236 this year 🤬.  Two years ago it was the best part of a ton less than that.....

They have doubled here as well - mostly as a result of climate change-related disasters (wildfires, hurricanes, etc) combined with the increased cost of rebuilding - affected by supply chain-related price increases and a construction labour shortage, the latter precipitated by the policies of a particular federal administration.

There are states (like Florida and California) that have legislative limits on the amounts that insurance companies may increase their rates. This has led to the big insurers refusing to underwrite policies in these states. Problematic for mortgagees who are required as a term of their mortgage to insure their property.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

3 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Wont worry me , I'm not he one coming

Are you sure? Perhaps you'll be dragged in front of the magistrates on some trumped up charge of online copyright infringement for publishing copyrighted material on a website for model railway enthusiasts.

Ignorance of the law is no defense. That'll be transportation for you my lad. An all expenses paid holiday to the Pilbara for you.

It's OK after seven years of good behaviour you'll get your manumission and if you work hard you can open a winery/brewpub/distillery + resort in WA and host destination weddings in front of an Indian Ocean sunset for impressionable Gen Alphas from the old sod. Sounds like a nice life.

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

4 hours ago, PupCam said:

I wondered why I couldn't pay in cheques via the scanner and PC but only via the mobile App.

Yes, tons of opportunity for undetectable fraud if the bank doesn't "own" the process.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Grammar
  • Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

Today our little cold spell ended. It was marvelous - very sunny but not too hot. Highs were somewhere around 27°C - just a bit below the seasonal average. 

A local dahlia farm has been advertising their summer 'festival'. They have food carts and music etc, to bring in custom. It was impressive.

Do I have many flower pictures? Why yes I do. Here are a few.

image.png.c31ef4aed813335b8e2c912d7129b5c8.png

image.png.e266aa32ed0bfdd2d45aa50237ee0a0b.png

image.png.9b4b9ed1641b72c7136d97f3b2d2a595.png

• Like 17

Here it is apparently obligatory for farm-stand flower festivals to have some sort of antique pick-up truck loaded with flowers.

Like so:

image.png.56e987c51f92f898a27a346089d7c82b.png

The varieties are quite amazing:

image.png.544ee0cccbd234d660e9a0c8545c1f96.png

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

¿Que?

Qu'est-ce que le "BACS", s'il vous plaît.

Bankers' Automated Clearing System,

The  receiver of the monies issues their bank details to the payer of the monies.

The payer goes online to his own account and pays the receiver directly into the receivers account.

Before payment goes through, your bank shows the details of the receiver on screen and says " is this the right person"? If you click yes the payment goes through. Seemingly it's a fully secure system. Certainly the MRC payments for layout expenses have never had a problem.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

"Its too hot!"

"There's spiders!"

You forgot:

• Snakes
  • Psycho horses
  • Box jellyfish
  • Blue ringed octopii
  • Duck billed platypus
  • Drop bears
  • Paralysis Ticks. 

• Bull ants.

• Giant centipedes.

• Foster’s lager

Mind you, you could always offer them a choice: Oz or somewhere with Mad Mullahs

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

38 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

You forgot:

• Snakes
  • Psycho horses
  • Box jellyfish
  • Blue ringed octopii
  • Duck billed platypus
  • Drop bears
  • Paralysis Ticks. 

• Bull ants.

• Giant centipedes.

• Foster’s lager

Mind you, you could always offer them a choice: Oz or somewhere with Mad Mullahs

Though you'll struggle to find a Fosters here...

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Funny 1