The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

It's dry but the forcast says showers and 13°C so I may go for a short walk.  It is cloudy but there is blue sky to the north so perhaps it will get better.

Nothing special to do today, I want to look at more old photos and there are some e mails to write.  One may prove to be difficult .

The antibiotics seem to be working, I feel more myself and things seem to be working better.

David

• Friendly/supportive 19

Church barbeque for me. But before that the Boss has got to be walked. Sky is overcast with possibility of rain. Luckily the church has a canopy we can all shelter under if it decides to wee.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Yup  - windy.  But not AS windy!  Mad overnight again, rain and wind, trees not really dropping leaves but being stripped of them. Pah.

Let's see now...wet leaves all over the GP Circuit....😱

Nothing to worry about there, then.  

I also spotted this in the news:

"Sinclair, a regular competitor at the Manx Grand Prix since 2012, returned a non-negative test result for a recreational drug in a random drugs test"

Er, just what's wrong with using the word "positive"??

Yours,

Baffled, of Bear Towers.

• Agree 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning!

Haven't had a chance to catch up with all of the latest posts but a topic that stands out is NHS waste/bureaucracy.   My recent experience (over the last 4 years)  has confirmed that the NHS is indeed the largest Curate's Egg there has ever been and that there is plenty of scope for cutting duplication, miss-communication, waste and bureaucracy.      Don't get me wrong, I've had some wonderful help, treatment and care from very many dedicated individuals who do an amazing job and in many cases despite rather than because of the NHS's systems.

It's persisting down.         One of the Junior Puppers is traveling up from almost* Distant Signal (West) today.    Hmm, not a good M5/M4/M25/M1 driving day.  I hope their journey is not too arduous.

*  If not "almost" it's "well-on-the-way".

Just had a phone call from the other JP.    They are going to Milton Keynes shopping this morning.  Eldest JJP has requested that he be dropped off at Nan & Grandad's so he can play trains with Grandad.   Sensible fellow!   That's me sorted for the morning then 😀

TTFN

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Bear here,

A large quantity of Dublo bits n' pieces packed (a suitable box & bubble wrap was easily obtained from Bear's stash in Beamland) and delivered thru' howling wind n' rain ( ok, so actually just a bit damp) to Postie Pat Towers.  That's a Tick.

A new comic has just been delivered as well - some sort of unspeakable "Journal" apparently 😉

I should be doin' stuff - but a B&W film called "Odette" is on the moving picture box and Bear has been side-tracked.  Oops.

BG

• Like 17

10 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

At one point Queensland school holidays were in August. (They are not now.) We would go to the Gold Coast. Being winter never stopped us going to the beach and swimming. The temperature there today is 23°C.

A couple of trips 'home' I've scheduled for August. I still go swimming at this time of year.

Locally, on the Oregon Coast (where it is 'summer') it is 17°C. The water temperature there is 15°C. It is cold. (This is close to the warmest that it gets.)

15 degrees..................COLD...................................try the North Sea here around Montrose/Arbroath. doesn't get into double figures for most of the summer, it's 14.7 at the moment which is as warm as it will ever get..................................

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Morning!

Haven't had a chance to catch up with all of the latest posts but a topic that stands out is NHS waste/bureaucracy.   My recent experience (over the last 4 years)  has confirmed that the NHS is indeed the largest Curate's Egg there has ever been and that there is plenty of scope for cutting duplication, miss-communication, waste and bureaucracy.      Don't get me wrong, I've had some wonderful help, treatment and care from very many dedicated individuals who do an amazing job and in many cases despite rather than because of the NHS's systems.

Bear's recent event at Chateau Checkpoint Charlene took three "appointments" where one would have been fine if they'd had the common sense to listen to Bear; it also delayed proceedings by a week.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

This week Coles in the Melbourne suburb of Epping faced  social media condemnation  due to its "enthusiastic" use of CCTV over  the  checkouts!

image.png.fdc088d509e2ddec12dfd00ca9134d91.png

Epping?

Sounds very Essex to me...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, polybear said:

I also spotted this in the news:

"Sinclair, a regular competitor at the Manx Grand Prix since 2012, returned a non-negative test result for a recreational drug in a random drugs test"

Er, just what's wrong with using the word "positive"??

Its a non-judgemental alternative.

The competitor might have consumed a poppy-seeded bagel or whatever....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

The likes of Tess & Co (other flavours are available) Petrol Stations are handy for the basics (incl. B & M etc.) and avoid the aggro of The Dreaded Big Shop; obviously choice is very limited though (iD might struggle to get his Artisinal, UPF-free Loaf this way.....)

I use Tesco's because it is the most convenient. Asda's is nearer but the (underground) car park is small and cramped and usually full at all times of the day.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Strange things are going on herein Estuary-Land. I store a lot of my model railway stuff in Really Useful boxes stacked up in the utility room. Lately I've noticed that I have to squeeze past some of them. I haven't put on any weight recently so I went to have a look and I found a gap of about four inches behind one of the stacks, they had apparently 'walked' those four inches, very strange.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Strange things are going on herein Estuary-Land. I store a lot of my model railway stuff in Really Useful boxes stacked up in the utility room. Lately I've noticed that I have to squeeze past some of them. I haven't put on any weight recently so I went to have a look and I found a gap of about four inches behind one of the stacks, they had apparently 'walked' those four inches, very strange.

Perhaps something is living behind the boxes in the utility room? 🤔    You'd better put a motion-triggered camera in there and find out whats been living rent-free!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

I note the latest rebuild of Tess and Coes here of the till area ( less staff more self operation), every till has displays showing who's using it..

We have constant light soggyness falling from the welkin. But the radar indicates the main wet has yet to arrive.

Mooring Awl,

9.5 hours sleep with a half hour break in the middle ish. I really needed that.

The electric motor arrived for the drill , only it didn't, I ordered a long shaft 8800rpm motor, what arrived was a geared 5 rpm motor, as it only cost £4 it's not a disaster if I don't get a satisfactory response from the Bay of Es. 

Muddling has occurred, run out / running out of several items of parallel bits of metal.

Still raining..

Early tea then off to the MRC to get things ready for the show tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

A triple hilly wander+slow down lap has been completed; 4 miles/10,200 paw movements according to Izzy the iPhone.  That's a Tick.

The wander took me past a flat that was gutted by fire a few days ago, fortunately with no casualties reported; it seems the Plod have their suspicions as to the cause......

ION.....

I see that nickin' someone's kitty or woofums now has a potential prison sentence of 5 years - and not before time too; up until now it's been treated the same as nickin' someone's lawnmower etc.

BG

• Like 3
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear here....

A triple hilly wander+slow down lap has been completed; 4 miles/10,200 paw movements according to Izzy the iPhone.  That's a Tick.

The wander took me past a flat that was gutted by fire a few days ago, fortunately with no casualties reported; it seems the Plod have their suspicions as to the cause......

ION.....

I see that nickin' someone's kitty or woofums now has a potential prison sentence of 5 years - and not before time too; up until now it's been treated the same as nickin' someone's lawnmower etc.

BG

Theft, of a lawnmower or any other property has carried seven years for a long time. It used to be ten years. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, polybear said:

I see that nickin' someone's kitty or woofums now has a potential prison sentence of 5 years

You don't need to nick kitties, they move house by themselves.

If you don't give them the fancy food they've seen on the telly, enough cardboard boxes to sleep in, a dog-free environment then WHOOSH! They're off to the cat lady a couple of streets over....

• Agree 5
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Theft, of a lawnmower or any other property has carried seven years for a long time. It used to be ten years. 

Jamie

The new law treats kitties & woofums as sentient beings - meaning sentencing takes into account both the theft plus additional considerations (such as did the owner and pet suffer or experience distress).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8