The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, BoD said:

A noble gesture indeed …

but, let’s be honest, how many of us haven’t done similar.

The hot soldering iron grasped in reflex by the wrong end.

The scalpel clasped between the knees as it fell to the floor.

Either of the above done whilst wearing shorts.

I’m sure you all have a long list of similar …. but  dare you admit to them?

The smouldering iron?  I think the scars have gone now.  Why do you think I call it “smouldering”? 

The scalpel blade capture move?  Is that the full penectomy, sir, or just a circumcision? 

The stray superglue?  Another case of scalpel blade applied to bare flesh ….. but very carefully 

Sawdust in eyes?  “Where was your eye-protection?” “If I blink I can’t see where I’m cutting / drilling …… “

Weathering powder on the favourite white T-shirt or carpet?  Under no circumstances attempt to remove it with a damp cloth!  

and

I was’t planning on trimming my fingernails but the Stanley knife had other ideas!  

• Craftsmanship/clever 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a rock apparently at sea, doubt the anchors held, they were only the summer ones that had been deployed.  Sunny, blowing a hoolie and 13 miserable C currently.  There was 'some' rain last night, really heavy but in short batches, about 6cm or so in the gauge but it probably missed a lot due to it coming in horizontally.

I doubt it will be bikes for the Old Fart's brunch, lot of standing water likely to be about.

• Friendly/supportive 17

1 hour ago, polybear said:

There was a TV News feature on the Tea-Time News a few days ago where some silly c0w went to Turkey for a bit of cosmetic surgery ("save £10K n' all that...).

The Bill to the NHS when she got home was astronomical.....

There are quite a few reasons for “Health Tourism”. Cost is indeed a factor, but also is waiting time for an intervention or the availability of a treatment.

And like for all things medical - it pays to do your research. Turn up at a Swiss Clinic for an operation and you can be assured that the standards of care and the outcomes will be excellent. In Lahore? Perhaps not so much.

A useful rule-of-thumb (but not infallible) is to go where the really rich people go for treatment.

I have a lot of sympathy for someone who comes to Switzerland from the UK to undergo a hip replacement if the alternative is a multi-month wait for a surgery that even when you get to the top of the waiting list may or may not happen - depending upon the moods of the unions, the government and management (“striking to improve patient care” anyone?) And as we well know, the longer you put off an intervention, the more complicated it becomes and the greater the likelihood of a poorer outcome.

I also have a lot of sympathy for those who go abroad for treatment that either NICE won’t approve or the NHS won’t (or can’t) pay for or do. Now the NHS can’t cover everything/do everything, but there is a lot of waste in the NHS and money spent on really stupid things (like spending £££££ on changing the wording on pamphlets for mothers-to-be from “breast feeding” to “chest feeding” [sic]). The proponents of such stupidities argue that what is spent is a minuscule fraction of the NHS budget; maybe so, but repeat thiese things multiple times and across the NHS and the ££££ add up. Do away with the pointless  parts of NHS bureaucracy (you need some bureaucracy in order to run a big institution) and I’m certain waiting lists will improve.

As for those people who go off to places like Turkey for vanity plastic surgery - I have no sympathy at all. NHS Plastic Surgeons really have much better things to do than sort out some these idiots’ vanity problems (like reconstructing faces destroyed by burns or other accidents). And if someone goes abroad for cosmetic surgery - without doing their homework - and their sole selection criteria is cost - more fool them.

• Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

A reasonable zeddy session was had last night, only spoiled by that usual B1tch....

I guess the three previous Tigger bounces crawls out of the Beary Pit at 04-silly o'clock in a row have all added up.

Today's fun includes a visit to the Goober Technician (just a check...hopefully) plus a visit to the lesser-spotted Quack.  Scared?  Moi?

Apart from that a brief visit to friends is also on the cards (they live conveniently close to the Goober Tech., which is handy).

Anything else?  Well I guess it'll be MIUABGAD....

Time to wriggle.....

BG

• Friendly/supportive 18

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

The Blind Beggar was still there in my time. Not all that long after the notorious activities which brought it infamy. 

And it was still there years later apparently surviving on some kind of macabre tourism as much as being “the local boozer”. 

I had it pointed out to me by one of my colleagues when I was working down there. We had to pass it each time we went to the City depot.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

As for those people who go off to places like Turkey for vanity plastic surgery - I have no sympathy at all. NHS Plastic Surgeons really have much better things to do than sort out some these idiots’ vanity problems (like reconstructing faces destroyed by burns or other accidents). And if someone goes abroad for cosmetic surgery - without doing their homework - and their sole selection criteria is cost - more fool them.

Perhaps there should be compulsory Insurance against things going wrong - and if you still choose to risk it uninsured then you WILL pick up the NHS Bill afterwards....

Someone my friend knows regularly goes on hols abroad - she has more significant medical issues than I can count, yet she still gets insurance.  How does she afford such huge premiums?  Simple - she doesn't declare the medical issues.....

Wottafuggwit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning

Success!       The unmentionable thing was virtually chugging back and forth all night and when the real thing was let loose once more it continued to chug back and forth too.  

So that is a very big tick indeed because that background problem has been niggling me for months.

9 hours ago, BoD said:

Eh?

9 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

He didn't follow the diagrams or slot A didn't fit into Tab B. 

Sort of WB, well done!    Only Tab B was actually a "1" and there was no Slot A for it to fit in .....

image.png.8df0891c4ca8c058b0507dacbd76ffeb.png

The "Instructions" stated that the 1 was unused but was there for compatibility with earlier systems.   It turns out that that compatibility made it incompatible with itself 🙄

The fix?   Remove the "1" from the command string and Happy Days 😀

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Now, I know I’m not the world’s greatest linguist: speaking only 3 major European languages, a smattering of 2 or 3 other languages (including Japanese) a little machine language or two, but the screenshot above puzzles me.

I too am multi-lingual:  

Basic (various dialects), Pascal, Fortran C, C++, HPGL, Cobol (despite its ubiquity in the commercial world it seemed like a really stupid language when this techie encountered it), Fluke Measurement and Control Language, 6502 Assembler (Remember the Commodore PET and BBC Model B?), UNIX scripting (various flavours), Visual Basic (&VBA), other stuff I've since forgotten,    English (barely), French (Non) and German, Italian, Russian, Chinese well surely you just speak slowly and shout a bit don't you?      I should get into GCode as that is potentially most useful for driving hardware (when I build Puppershire's version of Jodrell Bank) and sadly I've not done any modern stuff like Java, Python etc but I dare say I could manage it if forced.

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

It looks like English, but it’s not.

It might be machine language, but looks too simple.

Yes, much too simple (and logical) for machine code, it's DCC*.   If you look carefully you can work out the running number of a certain green 08.

47 minutes ago, Hroth said:

............., its going to be very blustery* all day.  But dry.

* Didn't Pooh Bear have a Hum about that?

Ah! Pooh Bear.     Where's Piglett?  I fancy a bacon roll.

ION

I forgot to mention that while we were in deepest Norfolk Monty encountered his major milestone.

200K.jpg.959311ee913426f3d880b66025c24939.jpg

The engine management light was on to celebrate* the great achievement.

*  It still has random misfires apparently although you can't feel them.    The new coil and leads improved matters considerably but there's obviously still an issue.   More diagnostics needed then.

I am told that we are to enjoy a trip to Sainsbugs this morning.  Deep Joy but I suppose that if we want to eat we need to have something to do it with.

TTFNQ

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

14 minutes ago, polybear said:

Perhaps there should be compulsory Insurance against things going wrong - and if you still choose to risk it uninsured then you WILL pick up the NHS Bill afterwards....

Someone my friend knows regularly goes on hols abroad - she has more significant medical issues than I can count, yet she still gets insurance.  How does she afford such huge premiums?  Simple - she doesn't declare the medical issues.....

Wottafuggwit.

Like the 'little darlings' who harm themselves and then do a GoFundMe when they can't afford the flight back.

What annoys me with those is that they then do get f#£k wits that contribute. Just goes to show that there's an awful lot of them out there.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear here....

A reasonable zeddy session was had last night, only spoiled by that usual B1tch....

I guess the three previous Tigger bounces crawls out of the Beary Pit at 04-silly o'clock in a row have all added up.

Get that prostate checked out before your busting for a pee but can't go. Since mine was diagnosed six months ago the medication has eased the problem considerably and I very rarely have to get up in the middle of the night now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The blustery winds have all but gone, the rain has been replaced with sunshine, so I’m hoping I won’t get wet when I go to the butchers this morning. After that, we are planning on a visit to RHS Bridgewater for a walk. This will probably be my last for a month or so, so if the weather stays as it is, we should have a decent chance of not getting wet, or blown away. 

When I was in my last year at school, I worked part time at a local butchers, he taught me NEVER try to stop a knife from falling, step back instead. This is something I still do now, I’ll attempt to catch all sorts of things I drop, but never a knife! 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 10
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

A good night's sleep, I didn'thear the wind or rain.  I woke early and quickly dropped off again getting up just after 08.00.  I looked out of the windows and all was well.

Half way through breakfast I noticed a large parasol perched on top of the shrubs at the bottom of the garden which wasn't there when I got up.  It had managed to escape from Margaret's garden table, complete with it's pole.  Fortunately it hadn't gone into my greenhouse.  It has now been returned.

The antibiotics seem to be working, my waterworks are functioning better again and I can go when I need to.  Last week I knew I had some sort of infection before any problems started.  Whenever an infection starts I notice very small changes in my behaviour, especially in the music I listen to, TV I watch and my choices of food.  It is quite a good early warning system.  I also tend to feel far more well than normal, if that makes sense, full of myself.

As it is windy and will remain so for a while I am going to stay in and do small things in the house.  The rest will do me good.

David

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

When I was in my last year at school, I worked part time at a local butchers, he taught me NEVER try to stop a knife from falling, step back instead. This is something I still do now, I’ll attempt to catch all sorts of things I drop, but never a knife! 

Back later.

Brian 

After school I went off the rails and did time at Granville tech. (electronic Engineering certificate). 

We used to see a constant stream of what we assumed were pupils in the butchering course cradling their hand as they trudged past our room to the first aid office or whatever it would have been. When our lesson was over we'd check out the blood drips in the hallway outside, its a wonder some of them got there without passing out, going by the size of the puddles they left.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

For some reason Early Risers has vanished from my "View New Content last 24 hours 2" so I am posting this to see if it comes back.  I can still find it if I go via Forums, Wheeltappers.

It seems to happen from time to time if omeones hides a post, now and then even an edit in a recent post can cause it.

Apart from that the wind is beginning to drop.  Also in my "small jobs" today I have found my spare fuses which I had mislaid.  To be exact I have found the second set of them to add to the ones which I knew where they were.  Judging by the packaging they have been there a long time.  

I wonder what else I will unearth?

Edit  It is now back to normal and shows up correctly.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Like the 'little darlings' who harm themselves and then do a GoFundMe when they can't afford the flight back.

What annoys me with those is that they then do get f#£k wits that contribute. Just goes to show that there's an awful lot of them out there.

International tourists in the NT  who hopefully have insurance!

Danish man apparently. This actually confirms my recent  suggestion that we should export crocs TO Denmark so they understand what they are capable of!

image.png.e5669da85877542e65ffb6b327cb31f5.png

German lady

image.png.001e2a5107bd0f1a236fb37989c8537b.png

Another international tourist looking for the perfect Instagram shot!

image.png.2852f0500b847f6d77368ab20b4af941.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Funny 7

11 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

International tourists in the NT  who hopefully have insurance!

Danish man apparently. This actually confirms my recent  suggestion that we should export crocs TO Denmark so they understand what they are capable of!

image.png.e5669da85877542e65ffb6b327cb31f5.png

German lady

image.png.001e2a5107bd0f1a236fb37989c8537b.png

Another international tourist looking for the perfect Instagram shot!

image.png.2852f0500b847f6d77368ab20b4af941.png

Evolution in Action, My Dear Chimpey

Evolution in Action!!!!!

Darwin was right! (always has been, always will be)

(so was Herbert Spencer - but we don't talk about him nowadays...)

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, iL Dottore said:

Evolution in Action!!!!!

But only if went on holiday prior to reproducing 🤞

ION

Sainsbugs = Done

Streaky Piglett (& Baps) = Purchased

• Like 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All,

Sorry I've been AWOL due to (choose appropriate reason here). 

Today is a stange one - 30747 actually asked me to sit with her in the car while we went to the farm shop instead of getting the bus.  She has so far been reluctant to drive for some reason,, but seems to be coming round a bit now.

Got home to an email that Teodore would be delivering my order from Vax - so I rang Vax, and it appears that they have dealt with my carpet washer either by a very rapid repair or replacement, and Teodore would be delivering between 09.54 and 10.54 - so 30747 and I started some essential work in the kitchen, as we keep buying stuff llike washing up liquid, fabric softener and the like when we have stocks under the sink - so we took stock of what we have, and it's a lot.  Our kitchen faces the front of the house, with a good view of the gate path and front door.  11.00 and no Teodore, but got an email to say he had no reply when he called.   I have now escalated with DPD, who are usually OK round here - it's Yodel who are bad.  They have asked him to deliver this afternoon - we shall see!!!

Ludlow tomorrow for comestibles from the bakery (get there for just after opening) and to get a bank statement (our bank still has a branch here, and it opens Saturday mornings - Nationwide).

Regards to All

Stewart

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Hroth said:

I'm sure I've previously mentioned a former colleague who tried to seat a scalple blade on its handle by resting the tip of the blade against his sternum and pressing? 🤔

Luckily he realised his error quite quickly and there wasn't that much blood...

He would not have got away with that with my mudelling knife.  It's a Swann Morton PM40 - hint PM stands for Post Mortem.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Funny 8

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

After school I went off the rails and did time at Granville tech. (electronic Engineering certificate). 

We used to see a constant stream of what we assumed were pupils in the butchering course cradling their hand as they trudged past our room to the first aid office or whatever it would have been. When our lesson was over we'd check out the blood drips in the hallway outside, its a wonder some of them got there without passing out, going by the size of the puddles they left.

The thing about blood (and I'm talking professionally here) is a that little goes a long, long way. Drop a tray containing 20 or so 8.5mL vacutainer tubes - so a total of about 170mL (less than a cup [250mL]) and it looks like Freddy Krueger has been on the rampage (don't ask me how I know about the [literally] bloody mess [not Freddy Krueger]).

It also depends where you are injured: facial and scalp wounds are notorious for being rather messy and appear quite alarming (and indeed in some cases scalp wounds can cause significant blood loss leading to hypovolemic shock and acute anemia and can even lead to death). But a lot of the times, blood loss from the face or scalp - whilst looking very alarming - is relatively little and manageable with just sewing up the wounds. A fact exploited by professional wrestlers who will hide a tiny piece of razor blade somewhere and - when the right time comes during the (choreographed) fight - they scratch their scalp with the blade and blood comes pouring out - making things look both alarming and "real".

But for serious bleeding out, there's rupture of an aortic aneurysm (median time to bleed out and death [if no intervention] 2hrs and 30 minutes), or severance of the femoral artery (5 minutes to death, if you're lucky [assuming no one staunches the blood and applies compression to stop the bleeding]).

Edited by iL Dottore
Word missing
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 13

38 minutes ago, PupCam said:

But only if went on holiday prior to reproducing 🤞

ION

Sainsbugs = Done

Streaky Piglett (& Baps) = Purchased

NOT necessarily.

Even if the person finding out the hard way that a saltwater crocodile is not something you want to (or should) pet has left offspring, the probability is extremely high that the offspring will also indulge in “old-age-avoidance-behaviour” 

So all is not lost!

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

And whilst on the topic of drugs and medicines (well, sort of), you may find the following of mild amusement:

• Placebo employee*“: looks identical to a real employee; it looks like it works, but actually doesn’t provide any meaningful benefit.
  • Homeopathic employee*“: an employee whose actual work is so heavily diluted as to be essentially only present in trace amounts, if not actually non-existent.

NB * “employee” and “colleague” are essentially interchangeable in this context

Seen a few of those in my time, and Mrs NHN has to currently deal with one who is a senior manager - no noticeable actual work whatsoever.  Has never visited the outside workshops/workshop managers he is meant to oversee - been in post two years!  Steps are being taken.....

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

femoral artery (5 minutes to death, if you're lucky [assuming no one staunches the blood and applies compression to stop the bleeding]).

It is quite an interesting experience to be in the receiving end of all that pressure when the femoral artery springs a leak. I passed out at one stage and there were a lot more people there than when it started! My last conscious thought was how interesting the rapidly decreasing numbers on the bedside monitor were.  I regained consciousness as a nice nurse was announcing I seemed to be back among them!

Before a procedure you get told the probability of what go can wrong. On that occasion I hit the jackpot. Handy being in the specialist unit though.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

He would not have got away with that with my mudelling knife.  It's a Swann Morton PM40 - hint PM stands for Post Mortem.

Saw something like that on the telly the other day, very impressive. Looked as if it would be useful in a jungle environment....

His was just a normal size 3 handle (ideal for muddlers) and a No 10 blade, just very pointy!

• Like 10