The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Nearer 6C here in the Heart of England, and I've got a day off to look forward to! And by way of a birthday treat I shall mainly be unpacking the spoils of my visit to Carlisle on Wednesday (bowler-tip to Dave for the swag!).

Have a good one, one and all.

We just missed it.

I can see the black clouds moving along on the horizon but it's calm here and above freezing.

Haven't caught up with conditions elsewhere.

I've had steak for breakfast in the States but why do I suddenly fancy one here?

Mick wrote "Still full of home made stew and dumplings"

Dd wants a steak for breakfast but I would really like a home made stew and dumplings for supper.

I have never been successful at making dumplings. I don' know why. Generally I was a good cook and could produce very good dinners and really liked dumplings but somehow was never successful.

Any tips?

My trip to Carlisle may be delayed due to the cryptic message' Insp O' appearing on the mileometer slot

You probably know this already Mick, but it means that the ECU thinks the Engine needs a service. It was a right pain on my A Zafira because Opel reduced the service interval, but didn't change the software! It usually ended up coming on between services because the mechanic forgot to reset the counter.

If you need an oil change, then fair enough. Otherwise, with the ignition off, press and hold the button which resets the trip odometer and turn on the ignition. Keep the button held until the display shows ---- and Bob's yer uncle. The service interval counter is reset.

• Like 1

Don:

Here's what Jamie Oliver has to say:

• Preheat your oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5

• Put your flour into a mixing bowl

• Using a coarse grater, grate your cold butter into the flour

• Add a pinch of salt and pepper

• Using your fingers, gently rub the butter into the flour until it begins to resemble breadcrumbs

• Add a splash of cold water to help bind it into a dough

• Divide the dough into 12 pieces and gently roll each into a round dumpling. The dumplings will suck up quite a bit of moisture so if your stew looks dry - add a cup of boiling water and give it a good stir

• Place the dumplings on top of your fully cooked stew and press down lightly so that they’re half submerged

• Cook in the oven or on the hob over a medium heat with the lid on for 30 minutes

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Robert at only 7,000 miles since the last oil change I think you are right it has done a total of 15,000 from new and is due a service in january. DD that is much more complex than Mrs B's dumplings which were great. I will get her to give the details later..

• RMweb Gold

I think the weather here is now what the weatherpersons describe as "wintry showers".

My car is currently informing me of how many days to the next service, but the message only stays on the display for a few moments after starting the engine. The annual service is due in mid January.

Tony

Morning all, just. A bit of snain in SE London this morning. Just enough to push Southeastern into full panic and random cancellation mode. SWMBO made it ok but the next 2 trains were cancelled at short notice. They really are as useless as a chocolate teapot.

So much for my quiet week of study. They've gone and extended the project for another week. At least I don't have to travel to Inverness again.

• RMweb Gold

So much for my quiet week of study. They've gone and extended the project for another week. At least I don't have to travel to Inverness again.

Originally you weren't going to Inverness at all so I really do hope the next message isn't about how lovely the view from the hotel is!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, just. A bit of snain in SE London this morning. Just enough to push Southeastern into full panic and random cancellation mode. SWMBO made it ok but the next 2 trains were cancelled at short notice. They really are as useless as a chocolate teapot.

Andrew

As long as work doesn't affect your drinking plans!!

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Mick, I don't know where you think you are, but on my atlas Livingston is on the A5 in Zimbabwe!

It's partway between Glasgow and Edinburgh, Don, and is one of Scotland's "new towns".

Afternoon All

Snow was wet and slushy this morning, and disappeared when I used the wipers - then it came down again just about the time that 30747 was due to set off for work - it hasn't stuck, though, and it there is currently a strange yellow thing in the sky.

On a modelling note (now that's odd for me and ERs too - I hope that Richard has had his delivery from Margate when I go to Morecambe tomorrow, as I finally got an e-mail from Hornby to say that the Fowler 2P is at last in stock. I was a little amazed last week when I visited that the red TPO had arrived, and that RIchard was selling it for £29.00 - Hattons are looking for £30.00 plus £4.95 postage - RESULT.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

mum tells me it's falling heavily and lying in the Durham hills just now.

Thick but wet by the coast.

A few months ago I visited the South Tynedale Railway at Alston. Whilst I was there getting ready to photograph a train I thought I spotted a car with the google camera on. I checked but that cul-de-sac was never covered - until today - and there I am preserved for posterity. Everyone has their 15 minutes ..........

• RMweb Premium

Well, the torrential rain we've been having in the morning has ceased and the sky is looking lighter by now, but it is still quite windy and air pressure has dropped further to 970 mbar...so I guess there may still be something waiting to happen, weather-wise. It's quite balmy at 8°, too.

I also received a shiny new Taurus as an early Christmas present to myself just upon getting home, which I just finished fitting detail parts to :) .

There - and if you had come you could have made friends with this wee fella

** Robin rocks up at superstore cafe **

Customers at a supermarket cafe are feeding crumbs to a robin that has been flying around the store for the past few weeks.

< http://www.bbc.co.uk...slands-16204874 >

Mind you today all the Brass Monkeys are cowering, and you shold see where they are wearing their wooly scarves and hats!

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Gold

Yay! Finally break up from uni. Hurrah.

All the project work is handed in and now I have nothing to worry about for a few weeks (apart from family visits of course haha.)

I intend to plan my shed model railway properly soon so hopefully there will be some progress in the model railway department very soon!

I have to say, it doesn't feel much like Christmas yet, but then again we haven't got our decorations up yet, so that might be why!

DD Thank you for writing out the dumplings recipe.

The problem with my method might be that I cook my stews in a cast iron pot on top of the stove, not in the oven.

I'll wait for Mick's recipe before trying again.

No problem with the liquid volume. My stews are positively rich in thick gravy.

No stew tonight, it's Friday, so fried battered fish and 'slap chips' (a South African specialty) no mushy peas either, but accompanied by raw sliced tomato, shaved onion rings and sauce tartare.

It's now 6:30 pm here, so just half an hour till supper time! :P

Hi Jam,

Happy holiday.

No Christmas decorations here this year.

My brother will be in Australia, Tim has major family complications so I will will be solo on Christmas day..

Today I ordered my Christmas dinner from the delicatessen, to be ready on Saturday (I'll warm it in the micro-wave) as they are closed on Christmas day.

Thick but wet by the coast.

A few months ago I visited the South Tynedale Railway at Alston. Whilst I was there getting ready to photograph a train I thought I spotted a car with the google camera on. I checked but that cul-de-sac was never covered - until today - and there I am preserved for posterity. Everyone has their 15 minutes ..........

Come on then Warren, gissus the address so we can all see you....

• RMweb Gold

Come on then Warren, gissus the address so we can all see you....

I'm sure he will, after all some of us have met him!

My mother was captured looking out of her window by the Google camera. She generally didn't like being photographed but it is quite a good reminder of one of her expressions.