The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PeterBB said:

....  It was also easy to walk down to the Kerrera Ferry - my uni mapping area - absolutely loved it.

Funnily enough, just last week ...

20240817_101517.jpg.ecd46835b4a4a015ca3a505ce9f3d6b3.jpg

... in between distillery visits of course.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Happens  here too. Just 3km from the one I posted previously.......

Perhaps  they are catering for the company car drivers with an employers  fuel card who like not having to queue!

Screenshot(598).png.c4c60541967d1e0de70966f8c7a85fe9.png

Perhaps you could pop in and ask if there  other station is in Manutopea.

• Like 5
  • Funny 6

33 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I got to Whitechapel nice and early,  I sat in the hospital atrium and had a cup of tea. I then wandered over to the clinic. The doctor reviewed my bloodtests ( arranged by my GP)  and as I thought all the “out of range” results are normal for me due to medication . Most of the consultation was about one of my medications. New patients are not prescribed it, but I have been taking it it since 1984 with a few short breaks. When I stopped it, I became ill again. Anyway I promised I would read all the reports about the alternative and have done so.

I couldn’t really settle and watch cricket this afternoon so went and did some sorting in the garage. I managed to dislodge a box of assorted door handle parts which bounced off my head on to my narrow gauge layout. Apart from a few cows knocked over there was no damage . Not sure if having my head banged was the cause of a nose bleed this evening but even that didn’t last,as long as usual for me. 
Not a lot planned for tomorrow, I believe we have some food arriving. 

So your head sacrificed itself in the name of damage limitation.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony_S said:
12 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Give my regards to Mile End.

Unlike Whitechapel Station, Mile End remains much the same as usual. 

Or as they were known to us when living nearby - "Sh1techapel" and "Smiley End"  There were worse places to meet someone intent on harming you but most of those were dark lanes and corners.  In Whitechapel High Street you could have been attacked in broad daylight and no-one would have batted an eyelid  At least the London Hospital is nearby.  

I understand things are somewhat better these days.  Still not the most salubrious of neighbourhoods but if there's no "bad" how can we determine what is "good"? 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

1 minute ago, Gwiwer said:

Or as they were known to us when living nearby - "Sh1techapel" and "Smiley End"  There were worse places to meet someone intent on harming you but most of those were dark lanes and corners.  In Whitechapel High Street you could have been attacked in broad daylight and no-one would have batted an eyelid  At least the London Hospital is nearby.  

I understand things are somewhat better these days.  Still not the most salubrious of neighbourhoods but if there's no "bad" how can we determine what is "good"? 

Ronnie Krays drinking establishment was on that stretch of the road. Bit before my time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

So that’s why it’s so cheap on Monopoly.

Often wondered that.

What did Old Kent Road do, I wonder.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening!

I think I've found the problem with the code for the unmentionables.     As I said earlier, patterns are great they highlight things.

It looks like Puppers misunderstood the statement about a deprecated (no longer used) parameter for the throttle command in the interface spec.      The code has been modified and running without fault all evening. I will leave it running virtually (no green hardware mounted on parallel strips of non-organic material) over night and then I'll pop the green monster back on in the morning and see if it's still really working 🤞  

Night Awl

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, PupCam said:

It looks like Puppers misunderstood the statement about a deprecated (no longer used) parameter for the throttle command in the interface spec

Eh?

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

A noble gesture indeed …

but, let’s be honest, how many of us haven’t done similar.

The hot soldering iron grasped in reflex by the wrong end.

The scalpel clasped between the knees as it fell to the floor.

Either of the above done whilst wearing shorts.

I’m sure you all have a long list of similar …. but  dare you admit to them?

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On the gas powered transport theme, this was lurking outside my front door when I left for work this morning.

It had better not be those bloody horses sneaking  back again!

image.png.2e8ec9b8e3eb543ac9c4cff287e34dee.png

• Like 4
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

On the gas powered transport theme, this was lurking outside my front door when I left for work this morning.

Our horses don't have any tyres.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BoD said:

A noble gesture indeed …

I'm sure I've previously mentioned a former colleague who tried to seat a scalple blade on its handle by resting the tip of the blade against his sternum and pressing? 🤔

Luckily he realised his error quite quickly and there wasn't that much blood...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 8

4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The brothers Montgolfier used a sheep, a duck and a rooster* in their demonstration at Versailles in the royal presence of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette.

* les aéronautes de la ferme.

I can't imagine getting a horse into the gondola.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Funny 14

13 hours ago, PupCam said:

image.png.6c90d3485be3281580af2dd23b60e6c2.png

Now, I know I’m not the world’s greatest linguist: speaking only 3 major European languages, a smattering of 2 or 3 other languages (including Japanese) a little machine language or two, but the screenshot above puzzles me.

It looks like English, but it’s not.

It might be machine language, but looks too simple.

Could it be like something from a 1980s SciFi disaster movie? You know the sort of thing that pops up (green on black, of course and letter by letter) onto the screen of the psycho computer before said psycho computer launches World War III.

Is our dear chum, Puppers, warning us (bragging?) that he has a psycho-computer at his fingertips?

Should we be worried?

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

9 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

You know the sort of thing that pops up (green on black, of course and letter by letter) onto the screen of the psycho computer before said psycho computer launches World War III.

WOPR: SHALL WE PLAY A GAME?

HOW ABOUT A NICE GAME OF CHESS?

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

6 hours ago, BoD said:

A noble gesture indeed …

I certainly have. Holding onto a scalpel in my left hand (pointy bit UP) I reached over to grab something with my right and promptly sliced myself open. It didn’t hurt that much, just stung a lot, but I bled like a stuck pig - necessitating a trip to A&E for stitches. Fortunately, although slicing through the skin and subcutaneous fat the blade didn’t go into the muscle underneath (which would have been, well, problematic).

But it was a bit awkward explaining to the physician on duty why I had a sharp scalpel in my hands. I mean, I might be a “doc-for-hire” but I’m not doing budget surgery in my cellar now, am I?

On second thought, given the NHS waiting lists, maybe I should.

I could start off with a 2-for-1 promotion! Sign up for an augmentation mammoplasty* and get a rhinoplasty** absolutely free.

Or maybe “tired of walking with a limp? Doc iD’s budget total hip arthroplasty will get you walking on the straight and narrow again.

Absolutely NO WAITING!”

I could be on to a winner.

* “boob job”

** “nose job”

Edited by iL Dottore
Wording
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

"Bonce or Layout"?

Definitely Bonce.....

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Bear's Chimpy Tip of the Day:

That fence is pretty P.P. for keeping snakes n' spiders out of Chimpy Towers.....

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

WOPR: SHALL WE PLAY A GAME?

HOW ABOUT A NICE GAME OF CHESS?

Wasn't it Tic-Tac-Toe  (a.k.a. Noughts n' Crosses) rather than Chess - at least in the bit that mattered?

59 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I certainly have. Holding onto a scalpel in my left hand (pointy bit UP) I reached over to grab something with my right and promptly sliced myself open. It didn’t hurt that much, just stung a lot, but I bled like a stuck pig - necessitating a trip to A&E for stitches. Fortunately, although slicing through the skin and subcutaneous fat the blade didn’t go into the muscle underneath (which would have been, well, problematic).

But it was a bit awkward explaining to the physician on duty why I had a sharp scalpel in my hands. I mean, I might be a “doc-for-hire” but I’m not doing budget surgery in my cellar now, am I?

On second thought, given the NHS waiting lists, maybe I should.

I could start off with a 2-for-1 promotion! Sign up for an augmentation mammoplasty* and get a rhinoplasty** absolutely free.

Or maybe “tired of walking with a limp? Doc iD’s budget total hip arthroplasty will get you walking on the straight and narrow again.

Absolutely NO WAITING!”

I could be on to a winner.

* “boob job”

** “nose job”

There was a TV News feature on the Tea-Time News a few days ago where some silly c0w went to Turkey for a bit of cosmetic surgery ("save £10K n' all that...).

The Bill to the NHS when she got home was astronomical.....

Isn't is about time the NHS started recovering costs for such stupidity?

There could be a Rant there.....

• Like 6
  • Agree 7

6 minutes ago, polybear said:

That fence is pretty P.P. for keeping snakes n' spiders out of Chimpy Towers.....

Fences work both ways!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

5.5 hours near solid sleep and that was it..

Continuity on the BBC obviously had a bad night as well, the 6 o'clock start of the mornings programmes was a disaster. The recorded overnight weather started halfway through, a panicked button press switched to the morning show, where the female present still had hair and makeup combing her hair. The male presenter launched into the opening words. To be cut off as it switched back to partway through the weather again. Then after some BBC adverts, the countdown occured and the programme started properly.

Still windy, due to increase,  still horizontal drizzle...

Breakfast has been had, sarnie for lunch at the museum has been made. I've half an hour before id that me to get suited and booted 

Time for a dozen.

• Like 10
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

On the fringes of the yellow wind (someone been eating the curates eggs again?🤔), its going to be very blustery* all day.  But dry.

Oh well, time for brekky....

* Didn't Pooh Bear have a Hum about that?

Edited by Hroth
Extra Thort
  • Like 13
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Ronnie Krays drinking establishment was on that stretch of the road. Bit before my time.

The Blind Beggar was still there in my time. Not all that long after the notorious activities which brought it infamy. 

And it was still there years later apparently surviving on some kind of macabre tourism as much as being “the local boozer”. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3