The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Just passed through a 4-way popup* (temporary) traffic light setup, followed by a stereotypical bloke in a dirty hi-viz jacket with a stop-go board a mere 100 yards later!

* On a timer, favouring the least popular side road...

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Crucifixion was reserved for 'Enemies of Rome', that puts into doubt the mantra that the Jews killed Jesus Christ.

Not at all. The historical Jesus appears to have been a member of one of the numerous sects of Hebraic dissenters who were nominally governed through the Pharisees, the dominant sect among them - typical Roman practice. 

The Pharisees regarded him as a dangerous man, but couldn't execute him under Roman law - that was reserved for Caesar, or his local representative. 

Pontius Pilate didn't execute Him, strictly speaking. He wasn't much interested in the faction fighting of a remote and unprofitable province. He just wanted to keep the peace for long enough to get a better posting. 

To that end, Pontius Pilate contrived to use Roman law as a fig-leaf to have Jesus executed at the instigation of the Pharisees, without the attendant problems of having Him tried in a Roman court for no readily apparent reason. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

It tippeth down, verily.  The ride on the 600v DC powered device was undertaken, SWMBO collected from her PTS course having scored 100% (be a bit embarrassing if she didn't, given she is the boss's PA!) although apparently often contractors don't actually pass, had a yummy lunch at the Terminus Tavern and a ride back home with a mate driving said device.  

Our nice new ferry has had a dunch at Heysham last night in the storm, Manx Rumour Mill (aka faceache and the woman in the Spar shop) said it will be out of action for three weeks.  It's actually bit of a dent and will be back tomorrow. #sigh#  And they say social media improves communications?

• Like 19

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The point I was making was that had the Roman Empire continued more or less unaltered until now (and presuming Christianity never got a foothold) ...

First of all, it wouldn't have. This is a rather pointless hypothesis. It went the way of all living things - both in Rome and Byzantium and would have done so irrespective of whatever the official religion was.

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Their moral compass would have pointed in a very different direction to ours, because our moral compass is the result of centuries of Christianity and enlightenment thinking.

I note the distinction you make at the end.

It reinforces the idea that religion and morality are indeed two different things. In a theocracy there is an attempt to force them to be identical - but even that does not work.  That's not to say that they do not influence each other.

I don't think the statement necessarily holds.

I know you enjoy counter-factuals. Posit a western Europe under centuries of a homogeneous hypothetical Calathumpian creed.  With scientific discoveries, does humanism and the (so-called) enlightenment movement rise anyway?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

19 hours ago, TheQ said:

Wegovy or one of the other Semaglutide derivatives?

9 hours ago, Barry O said:

@Ian Abel Oxempic jabs are good.. unfortunately the NHS can't source them for the people in the North of England until next year again. The replacement tablet is carp.. daily and does nothing.

Ozempic is the poison currently prescribed. I'll report as I go forward. I'm destined to perform the first jab around 5PM.

Somewhat nervous about the more oft seen side-effects, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, constipation, upset stomach, heartburn, burping, gas!!

Sounds just delightful 😒

4 hours ago, PupCam said:

Whenever I'm in a hospital I can't help noticing that many of the staff are "more than amply covered" and yet I am apparently obese.  Pots & very large kettles ....

Ain't that the truth! I refer back to my previous post whereupon I observed to the doc when she noted my BMI/condition/state - "have you LOOKED in the waiting room!!!"

and that would INCLUDE the receptionists and other clinic staff as well as patients, I refrained (with difficult) from using an expletive in that comment...

Moaning...

Work was prominent yesterday and the only other activity was picking up the above-mentioned poison from the pharmacy.

Had a brief chat with pharmacist on a few question I had, all reasonably answered.

Today, more work, nothing else planned or expected to happen, should be a rather regular HUMP day, we hope.

Tomorrow, may or may not post as we are possibly going to the first day of the Minnesota State Fair. That's weather and air quality dependent, but if it works out we'll head there and meet Trevor and Meagan there for a day out.

Weather 19c and partly cloudy first thing, 25c the expected high, air quality SUPPOSED to improve during the day.

Tally ho.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Our high tide at 18.45 is 6.54m so one of the highest all year and the highest on this cycle.  

Tomorrow night might be interesting.  A 6.53m tide at 19.28 coinciding with the arrival of America's hurricane.  Winds are forecast to pick up from "quite a blow" through "hang on to your toupée" and possibly reaching "the train approaching platforms 1, 2, 3 and 4 is coming is sideways; we apologise for the inconvenience which has been caused by Ernesto's @rse-end"  

We're slated (BBC Weather App) for a brief blow of 40-50mph  between 6am and 10am on Friday. Knowing what the app is like, this could be wildly optimistic...

Fraggle Rock better put extra anchors out!

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

We're slated (BBC Weather App) for a brief blow of 40-50mph  between 6am and 10am on Friday. Knowing what the app is like, this could be wildly optimistic...

Fraggle Rock better put extra anchors out!

We've had enough already, and it isn't looking good for the next three days.  Of course it's MGP week....ruined.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Our high tide at 18.45 is 6.54m so one of the highest all year and the highest on this cycle.  

7.38m tonight, the proms here are going to get hammered!

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

I think I had better take my waterproof coat tomorrow. I have a train journey to Whitechapel for a 9am appointment at the Royal London Hospital. The rush hour trains don’t stop everywhere so I have been inspecting the timetables. 

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, PupCam said:

Oh yes, I saw this sad news earlier.   I had hours of fun with my traction engine as a boy.

456129716_1016363000497468_5128254199778187638_n.jpg.4dae57c339d6f960f9f75d1c74e598a0.jpg

And the reason?  Terrorism....

Yep, that's right - it seems some Jobsworth has decided that the Hexamine Tablets used as a fuel by Mamod can be used as an explosive so have banned their sale.  Kn0bs.

Just why Mamod can't go back to using good 'ol easy to obtain Meths is beyond me.  Oh, hang on, let me guess....the 'elf n' sayeftee Police.....

FFS.

Let's face it - surfing the 'net will do kids far more harm than playing with a Traction Engine.

• Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, polybear said:

Yep, that's right - it seems some Jobsworth has decided that the Hexamine Tablets used as a fuel by Mamod can be used as an explosive so have banned their sale.  Kn0bs.

Just why Mamod can't go back to using good 'ol easy to obtain Meths is beyond me.  Oh, hang on, let me guess....the 'elf n' sayeftee Police.....

FFS.

Let's face it - surfing the 'net will do kids far more harm than playing with a Traction Engine.

Not just that, but problems with the factory premises and the employees all approaching retirement age.  Of course, all my old Mamod stationary engines are meths fired, so it wouldn't be a problem to devise a meths-burning alternative for newer examples of the line.

I suspect that burner issues were the last straw.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Dropped off some stuff at a charity shop this morning. Parked next to a Mini Moke - haven't seen one of those for a while. The owner said it was good to drive; looked rather exposed to me...

The charity shop always has a good selection of items; came away with an OS Explorer map covering Nottm and the Vale of Belvoir (an older edition to the one I have), as well as one of those small Oakwood Press books. This one covering the Cardigan branch.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

FFS.

The army uses, or used to use Hexamine tablets for heating food in the field. They now use something called Fire Dragon which is made from the waste produced from processing sugar beet.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

W/H Day....and D-Day 😁.  That's a Tick.

Nothing of particular note to report - the usual deliveries/collections (including a rather nice electronic organ from a House - it was BLUDDY heavy though (and some) - and a rather nice Running Machine/Treadmill from another house - also rather heavy but was on wheels so not too much of an issue).  Also giving the W/H a good sweep up** - involving shifting roller cages and other "stuff" as required so I could do a reasonable job; I don't think some areas had been done for "a while".....

**Bear rather likes sweeping up - it's easy to do and you get to see the results as they happen; Bear's first job (when I was still at School - possibly primary school even?) was sweeping up and burning the rubbish on a Friday afternoon at the Village Greengrocer where Momma Bear worked; that later increased to Saturday afternoon as well.  I earned the princely sum of a total of three quid for Fri & Sat.

Reports from the Donation Centre (which is a part of the W/H) is that some members of the Public dropping off donations "have been less than polite" - other phrases are available.....

As for the Sorting Room - well some of the stuff they've been finding would make you cringe....🤢.

BG

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Two shopping trips have been completed and the cupboards are now groaning, more so than usual, due to buy extra to tide us over my recovery period. I managed to get a bit of reading in this afternoon, a bit more of the Alex Harvey biography, once back home from Costco, apart from that, not a lot else to report. 

• Like 15