The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Positing it had the added advantage that people see a weight loss/improvement on it - note: at 6'3" and 230lbs I'm considered obese 😲.

Bear just ran those numbers thru' the NHS BMI Calculator....

The good news is that, according to the NHS you may well be guilty of "A few too many Pies" (a.k.a. "Overweight") but there's insufficient evidence to accuse you of scoffing Treacle Pud n' Custard Chasers.

I'd call that a Tick.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Depends .... my recollections of the 90s were pretty bleak, in many ways. There was a bitter recession; the construction industry went into free-fall in the early 90s and the oil patch hadn't recovered from the mid-80s collapse. 

The decade started with the Poll Tax riots which were pretty spectacular and brought on a change of PM. It definitely wasn't a good time to be a coal miner. 

But the music, the music!   From grunge and the Seattle Sound  to all that stuff that started in Manchester,  Happy Mondays, etc, to so much more. Was there a better time to own a Walkman? I cant think of anything as interesting that's  happened since, now it seems to be all ex-contestants of those screechy singing shows who sing all around a high note for 5 seconds instead of hitting it, releasing stuff that makes your ears bleed - Too many notes!

As to rap, "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five    probably ranks with the first Elvis song, early Beatles and Anarchy In The UK when it comes to the impact it had on music, I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when it first came on the radio and recall  being  completely blown away by how different to anything else it was!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

Bad development in the bike rebuild - two left fork legs.  This is of course impossible, as it was bought complete.  Elves? Faeries? Donkeys? Probably the latter.  Garage beamland to be further investigated.

Saw this today and thought of @polybear who said he fancies one.  Nice example, not many of these left now.

20240820_1229581.jpg.38de9f135de9a93c9d067dc93fb4f01e.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, polybear said:

according to the NHS

You inspired me (by mentioning BMI) to see how well I had done with my attempts to lose weight etc. The BMI is now reporting overweight rather than obese. I did think the only way it was going to happen was by being stretched a few inches but fortunately not necessary. 
Tony

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

But the music, the music!   From grunge to all that stuff that started in Manchester,  Happy Mondays, etc, to so much more. Was there a better time to own a Walkman? I cant think of anything as interesting that's  happened since, now it seems to be all ex-contestants of those screechy singing shows who sing around a high note for 5 seconds instead of hitting it, releasing stuff that makes your ears bleed - Too many notes!

As to rap, "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five    probably ranks with the first Elvis song, early Beatles and Anarchy In The UK when it comes to the impact it had on music, I can remember exactly where I and what I was doing was when it first came on the radio and recall  being blown completely blown away by it! 

WTF?  C'mon Chimpy, you've been sniffin' those resin fumes again, haven't you??

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Saw this today and thought of @polybear who said he fancies one.  Nice example, not many of these left now.

20240820_1229581.jpg.38de9f135de9a93c9d067dc93fb4f01e.jpg

Dribble Dribble....gold rim version too.....❤️

• Like 7
  • Funny 8

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

You inspired me (by mentioning BMI) to see how well I had done with my attempts to lose weight etc. The BMI is now reporting overweight rather than obese. I did think the only way it was going to happen was by being stretched a few inches but fortunately not necessary. 
Tony

I kept telling my old GP that I was not over weight just under short, by about 5inches lol.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 9

4 hours ago, Grizz said:

Nope defo no signs of any Kangaroos, Kolas, Vegemite, Burgers with Beetroot, Hats with Corks, Utes, Surf Boards, Crocks or Sharks…..so far!

Do you want some? They are always looking for places to relocate ones that are captured due to them being  too near human activities. However they can travel huge distances to return to their original territory so Denmark sounds perfect. 

image.png.c25dab9db2c4254833b02e203dd08009.png

PS this Saltwater Crocodile  was caught at Katherine, 320km from the nearest ocean,  so when the signs say "Danger Crocodiles - no swimming" believe them, wherever you may be!

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

One of the popular "ag bikes" here (ie popular within the agricultural community).

Every outback farm used them because they were tough-as and could handle the landscape no worries.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

However they can travel huge distances to return to their original territory so Denmark sounds perfect. 

When we visited Denmark a few years ago I thought there seemed to be quite a few Australians working in hotels or restaurants. Chatting to some revealed that they were Danish but their time spent travelling in Australia had given them the accent. No idea if Danes go travelling to Australia nowadays. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

One of the popular "ag bikes" here (ie popular within the agricultural community).

Every outback farm used them because they were tough-as and could handle the landscape no worries.

UK bikers didn't really know what to make of them in the 70's, 'too big for trails' was often heard, but most never got muddy as they made good road bikes.  The folk claiming they were too big probably now have 1250GS BMW's.....oh how times change!

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Well they might as well have been thrown away, given that the contents are unavailable to view, except by a select few (and I really wonder how often the Science Museum curators actually go beyond the M25 and visit Swindon?) 

Disused hangers don’t seem to me to be appropriate storage for many valuable and often fragile items.

Would it be very cynical for me to speculate that whilst “Joe public“ may not get access to the contents, what is stored in those hangars get plenty of visits of those cheerful characters, Mr Rust, Mr Rot, Ms Corrode and Cousin Mould?

Indeed, Ipswich trolleybus # 44 which was displayed immaculately restored at the Clapham transport museum fifty years ago was stored there. It has been allowed to deteriorate to such an extent that scrapping it was considered. Fortunately the Ipswich Transport Museum* stepped in and it's now being restored for the second time.

*A proper transport museum, run by enthusiasts.  Well worth a visit if you're up that way.

https://www.ipswichtransportmuseum.co.uk/ 

And only a short distance away at Leiston is the Long Shop Museum.

https://www.longshopmuseum.co.uk/

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Well they might as well have been thrown away, given that the contents are unavailable to view, except by a select few (and I really wonder how often the Science Museum curators actually go beyond the M25 and visit Swindon?) 

Disused hangers don’t seem to me to be appropriate storage for many valuable and often fragile items.

Would it be very cynical for me to speculate that whilst “Joe public“ may not get access to the contents, what is stored in those hangars get plenty of visits of those cheerful characters, Mr Rust, Mr Rot, Ms Corrode and Cousin Mould?

Years back (noughties ?) I discovered that they ran periodic open days (weekends ?) when you could turn up and wander around some of the hangers, they even laid on a bus service between the hangers.  Definitely more of a warehouse than a museum, but well worth looking around.

Adrian

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

There was even a ship in the port of Le Verdon on the opposite bank.  AAL Limassol.  It's the first time I've seen a ship there.  I'd love to now where it's heading to. 

Marinetraffic.com may be your friend.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:8575085/mmsi:210232000/imo:9958755/vessel:AAL_LIMASSOL

Adrian

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just checked outside, clear sky if a bit hazy. Should get a better view later when the moon isn't hiding behind some buildings.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, polybear said:

WTF?  C'mon Chimpy, you've been sniffin' those resin fumes again, haven't you??

While I well understand that you are more a "Puppet On A String"/"Making Your Mind Up" kind of bear, just listen to  the lyrics, man....

The Message is a full on rant about urban life in New York at the time and like all great songs it is timeless. Change some location references and some slang and it could be one of your "anti-scrote/state of the UK today" rants  but with more street cred and better rhymes!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 5