The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, PupCam said:

It and others deserve our support.

We enjoyed our days out on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway (a very damp day last November) and more recently the Swanage Railway. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I didn't visit a railway this summer, but went to the NRM instead.  Should have gone to the NYMR instead, which would have been more enjoyable!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I didn't visit a railway this summer, but went to the NRM instead.  Should have gone to the NYMR instead, which would have been more enjoyable!

Is it still living down to our low expectations? (as have been voiced by many posters on here).

Britain doesn’t have to worry about “The Barbarians At The Gates”, because they’ve already wormed their way into top spots in museums and collections across the land.

To be polemical, has anyone noticed that it is mostly male dominated endeavours (engineering, railways, nautical, aviation, militaria) that tend to suffer the most neglect and – dare I say it – careless abuse at the hands of the current crop of museum “curators“ (although God knows what they’re actually curating)?

Has anyone recently been (with/without children or grandchildren) to the “Young V&A“ (formerly the Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood)? If so, did anyone notice the almost total absence of toy trains*, toy ships and toy soldiers? Although there were plenty of dolls, stuffed plush animals and dollhouses. It’s almost as though nobody wants boys to be boys any longer playing with “boys toys”.

Molesworth’s much despised Basil Fotherington-Tomas was not supposed to turn into a role model for Britain’s boys….

* I was there earlier this year to see an exhibition on Japanese anime and manga (surprisingly enough) and, if I recall correctly, I remember seeing just one toy train, a rather sad looking locomotive without a tender and with only one carriage.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Almost Afternoon Awl,

Knackered I is, after avery poor night's sleep, I went straight out to the garden.

There is about 10ft of garden between the mobile home and the hedge. I'm pretty sure the Ex of the neighbour, who still owns that house, is trying to gain a bit by letting the hedge grow out. So it was trimmed back heavily..there more to do on that. ( He still looks after the garden).

The hedge even though it's on the North East side is severely cutting down the light in the mobile home kitchen.

There are also two elderberry and two hazel bushes that had self seeded.  Those four have been severely chopped, I need to find the glyco phosphate, drill a hole in the top of the elderberries and fill. They really are in the wrong place.

I've observed the rear eves of the mobile home need work. Considering how and with what the moment.

The bullace are in plentiful fruit, and a large bullace is partly blocking the light. Bullace Vodka, Bullace Gin or Bullace wine... That is the Question...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, TheQ said:

That is the Question...

We have been having a “question” about our fruit trees too. We have a couple of pear trees that have stopped being productive. We have been advised not to replace them with pears and have been looking at plum and gage trees on dwarf rootstock. The pears will probably come down after this year’s meagre crop is removed.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that with some exceptions (like the Balkans and US incarceration rates as examples) the 1990s were a pretty good decade to live in for many people in the west. Doubtless some will suggest a darker underbelly - but with the end of the cold war and no indications of wars in central Asia over the horizon things were on an upturn.

Depends .... my recollections of the 90s were pretty bleak, in many ways. There was a bitter recession; the construction industry went into free-fall in the early 90s and the oil patch hadn't recovered from the mid-80s collapse. 

The decade started with the Poll Tax riots which were pretty spectacular and brought on a change of PM. It definitely wasn't a good time to be a coal miner. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

And a lot more expensive too…..

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The danger is, of course, by denigrating, ridiculing and marginalising the rappers (whose rap may displease the powers that be, but isn’t intrinsically “bad”) there is a significant risk of pushing them towards Death Metal or Satanic Metal.

Or even Rap Metal.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, polybear said:

And a lot more expensive too…..

I suppose that as @iL Dottore would say, you get what you pay for!

And where the NRM is concerned, you have to pay for the hived-off visitor experience portions too...

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The window cleaner came round this morning and informed me that the council shrubbery is overgrowing the path to the side entrance, so much so that he had to climb over the wall. I have to go out soon  but when I get home I'll be charging up the hedge trimmer.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The lazy equation of Wagner and Nazism is something that infuriates me nearly as much as regurgitation of the words "small engine policy".

The Valkyrie class was a prime example of Wagner’s small engine policy on the Mittellandbahn, something perpetuated on the Reichsbahn following the rise of the Nazis. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

The Valkyrie class was a prime example of Wagner’s small engine policy on the Mittellandbahn, something perpetuated on the Reichsbahn following the rise of the Nazis. 

Wilhelm Richard Wagner (1813-1883) not Richard Paul Wagner (1882-1953)!

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

I have just been to see Alien Romulus with the boy, we both enjoyed it. In my view none of the Alien movies has managed to match the original, and some of them have been rubbish. This one isn't great cinema, but it is solidly crafted, well acted and with some excellent visuals. The main weakness is endemic to the 'franchise' concept in that it feels derivative and same-same and lacks the suspense and shock value of the original. The original was a bit of a masterpiece with some iconic visuals, it was one of those rare movies which felt genuinely original and it was properly suspenseful and scary. Each sequel seemed to dilute it, though I did like Prometheus. This isn't as good as Prometheus and nothing like as good as the original but is nevertheless a good film worth seeing.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I bought some Danish salami today, which was made in Australia. I can only conclude that Australia has conquered Denmark, why weren't we told about this? No wonder nobody believes the news anymore when they suppress news of a military triumph by a country which plays cricket and drives on the left. Bravo Australia, I salute you and wish you success if you decide Germany is next!

News update from Grizz your Danish correspondent. Live from Denmark. 

it is 17:28 Danish time…

Nope defo no signs of any Kangaroos, Kolas, Vegemite, Burgers with Beetroot, Hats with Corks, Utes, Surf Boards, Crocks or Sharks…..so far! 

Maybe they invaded somewhere else instead? 

• Funny 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl Again.

A bit more tree chopping followed by bridge work.

Problem, the connectors I've bought are such a light fit in each other it's a two pairs of pliers job to push them together and pull them apart. They would destroy the bridge if I used them. Thinking what to do about that.

Other than some titivating of yesterday's work that's all I've done on that.

I've just had a long bath, needed that after lumberjacking.

Thinking of what to cook for dindins.

• Friendly/supportive 16

4 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Depends .... my recollections of the 90s were pretty bleak, in many ways. There was a bitter recession; the construction industry went into free-fall in the early 90s and the oil patch hadn't recovered from the mid-80s collapse. 

The decade started with the Poll Tax riots which were pretty spectacular and brought on a change of PM. It definitely wasn't a good time to be a coal miner. 

Neither was it good for small businesses . . . . a lot went to the wall.

Some of these communities  are still struggling to recover.

John

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

That's a great looking museum @DaveF. It seems like... well, a proper museum.

I have often lamented the demise of the Science Museum in London. And it seems that I'm not the only one that remembers it was a proper museum. This fellow certainly does

https://pocketbookuk.wordpress.com/2018/04/17/who-remembers-the-childrens-gallery-at-the-science-museum-in-london/.

It's actually somewhat painful to view this blog page and contemplate what has been lost from the museum - much of which was willfully thrown away.

I wonder whatever happened to this fascinating vehicle from the old museum:

sciencemuseum18gasturbinecar.jpg.68bc863a0e6ff111d79d73afe2ea558a.jpg

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

The stuff from the science museum hasn't been thrown away, there are 300,000 items  in hangars at the science and innovation park near Swindon. On the former  site of RAF Wroughton.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, TheQ said:

The stuff from the science museum hasn't been thrown away, there are 300,000 items  in hangars at the science and innovation park near Swindon. On the former  site of RAF Wroughton.

I think JET1 is still at the Science Museum. My Dad worked for Rover at that time. He said it was considered quite exciting but not practical. He always would have liked to own a Rover and his very last car was one of the late 1980s 800 series. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I thought I would do the rest of the day as a separate post.

On the way home from Woodhorn I went round the "big" roundabout on the spine road and noticed a broken down car which had been pushed on to the verge, as I passed it an AA an arrived.  There was a long tailback the other way.

Back home it was time for lunch then I spent most of the afternoon outside the front of my house chatting to neighbours.  Just about everyone on my part of the road is friendly as are their dogs.so doing a quick bit in the garden can take a very long time - in this case nearly 2 hours.

I managed to get the gap between the fences at the bottom of my garden thoroughly weed killed.

By then it was teatime.

As for the museum - Northumberland is a long way from London, also very many civil servants, advisors and others seem to think it is not in England but Scotland, so we go our own way for a lot of the time.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

23 minutes ago, DaveF said:

As for the museum - Northumberland is a long way from London, also very many civil servants, advisors and others seem to think it is not in England but Scotland, so we go our own way for a lot of the time.

David

Oh dear, Dave.

How unfortunate! So far from London, overlooked and ignored, and totally totally without the benefit of having all those “new, innovative, exciting, cutting-edge, groundbreaking developments” that Londoners are spoilt with.

You must be utterly bereft.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Funny 14

24 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Well they might as well have been thrown away, given that the contents are unavailable to view, except by a select few (and I really wonder how often the Science Museum curators actually go beyond the M25 and visit Swindon?) 

Disused hangers don’t seem to me to be appropriate storage for many valuable and often fragile items.

Would it be very cynical for me to speculate that whilst “Joe public“ may not get access to the contents, what is stored in those hangars get plenty of visits of those cheerful characters, Mr Rust, Mr Rot, Ms Corrode and Cousin Mould?

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4