The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Ey up 2!

Enjoyed my day.. Clack needs wine!

Bought some bits... ouch!

Met some RMWebbers..including @BSW01  .. nice to have a chat with.

I aways wanted a Metro 6r4 ot a Bentley Mulsanne Trubo RL....

Time for tea.

Baz

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Are they much lighter in weight? Evidence in the wheel spokes ...

John, yes I think so. I'm no expert on them but I think they were more farm tractors (including power for threshers etc) rather than heavy duty - steam rollers and mobile industrial machinery power sources) like you see in the UK.

They also tend to skew older. I suspect agricultural steam power in the US was long gone pre-WWII whereas it lasted longer in the UK.

image.png

Am having problems with upload. Will fix later. Now fixed.

The can be quite small as well. These would have quickly been replaced by IC engined tractors in the first half of the 20th century.

image.png.39be1bc9ec9a2b48e6a507d7228b13ec.png

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4

This went along with my upload problems.

image.png.5d20198c9992d8078d90c728eaa05b1e.png

EDIT 2 hours later:

I've seen this 504 error at least three times today (though it feels like more than that) - always when loading ERs. Opening the forum in another tab generally worked. The forum was never 'down' - it's just the bloat on the ER thread.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Friendly/supportive 11

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

where you stop just "falling over" and instead "Have A Fall"

Per common conventional euphemistic usage, the former is consequence free, the latter might have serious consequences. That distinction is implied in the wording.

"I fell over" v "I had a fall"

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Evening.

Some interesting vehicles at the Ford dealership this evening

20240817_184438.jpg

That yellow Deuce Coupe is straight out of American Graffiti.

Dave

• Like 8
  • Agree 7

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

For steam powered historical   Traction engines, the UK is the world leader.  The above look a bit home made. 

Controversial?

I suspect they might be older than many UK versions* or at least went out of service sooner. Certainly more neglected, probably being parked unceremoniously in a barn once the owner bought a shiny green John Deere tractor in the 1930s. The origin of John Deere is from the WW1 era.

* Doubtless there remain plenty of pre-WW1 British steam tractors as well.

I suspect the ownership model was different. Where (please correct me if I have this wrong) the UK tractors would move from farm to farm as a paid service, I suspect the US tractors were more likely owned by individuals with larger farms. While unscientific, all the agricultural photographs I remember seeing of dust-bowl era US agriculture show IC tractors.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Rolls Royce?

@polybear was close.. but rather a Bentley than a Royce.

I am afraid that my view about Rolls-Royces have been skewed by a few things in my past. First off, during my impressionable teens, I read the James Bond novels by Ian Fleming; and in one of his earlier novels, he describes how Bond bought a Bentley which “some rich idiot wrapped around a tree“, straightened the chassis, put a new body on it and had it painted matt battleship grey, because Bond wanted a car to drive, not to fuss over. I don’t recall what Bentley it was, but as the novel was written in the 50s it most certainly was one of the pre 1960s Bentleys.

Also at an impressionable age, I read an article somewhere by someone who claimed that Rolls-Royces were cars for “popstars, footballers and baked bean tycoons” (to which I would add, nowadays, petrosheiks, rappers and oligarchs), and that “a real gentleman drives a Bentley

Finally, from an aesthetic point of view, you can’t beat any of the Bentleys made before 1962 (when they stopped making the Bentley S2).

From then onwards, I have always wanted a Bentley made between 1952 and 1962, never a Rolls-Royce!

Nowadays – unfortunately – Bentleys, like Rolls-Royces, are basically extremely expensive boxes on wheels.  As Ettore Bugatti supposedly said: Bentley make the "The world's fastest lorry" - an observation which is even truer now then it might have been when Bugatti said that in the late 20s  (something that can be truly also truly said about modern Rolls Royces).

The objects of my desire:

Bentley R-Type

image.jpeg.e10a883faf400ac00ff4faf25d730019.jpeg

The S1

image.jpeg.847e772973ef926d9f39de9e396bda94.jpeg

The S2

image.jpeg.047c2aa6a7911f5a94a3f1652c569fed.jpeg

Of the above, I would probably go for the Bentley S2, as it will have somewhat more modern technology in it. But I certainly wouldn’t turn my nose up at a Bentley S1 or a R-Type.

Edited by iL Dottore
Added text and photos
  • Like 18

3 hours ago, pH said:

If that makes Shakespeare a bit of a dill, then so be it!

This is a dill.

image.png

Dillon T. Pickle to be precise.

The Portland Pickles (as of last night) are the West Coast League Champions having defeated the Wenatchee AppleSox (great name) in a bottom of the ninth, two outs, down 5-4. walk-off, comeback win for their first ever championship.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Funny 3

11 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Errr that's not me, I'm the photographist.

Never assumed it was as we all know you have the physic of a racing snake and features of an Adonis.

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Was a bit knackered after doing my shop at Tess Coes but after some eyelid inspection I feel a lot better.  As it is I've got a lot to do so it's be back later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

That yellow Deuce Coupe is straight out of American Graffiti.

Dave

Apparently its the biggest American car meet in the country according to others talking nearby. It certainly was causing a lot of traffic congestion and pavements packed with on lookers in the centre of Redhill. Some fantastic cars . A great evening.

20240817_204259.jpg

20240817_204309.jpg

20240817_204325.jpg

20240817_204235.jpg

20240817_204020.jpg

20240817_203940.jpg

20240817_203820.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 15

7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I thought you only needed to,be careful if there were chickens…

Yes I can report there were chickens however 'we' as in the royal we, behaved ourselves.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

While having watched  Aussie dash cam stuff I have had some thoughts about

your people . I always had the picture of you all being laid back Mick Dundee have a

another beer types , until you get into a car , then there are several types as this list ,

1. Suicidal , will pull into oncoming traffic at the last second including B doubles .

2. Homicidal maniacs , will force others off the road when passing while crossing double white lines

or barge their way into  a gap just because . drive through red lights at high speed risking everyones life

cos I cant wait a minute.

3. The rules don't apply to me , so I'll pass a line of traffic at the lights and then drive through the red one .

or shortcut a roundabout the wrong way to save a few seconds because what ever I'm doing is so very

important every second counts .

4. The ones who should just never be driving as they display all the above in one go .

😎

Sounds just like an average day on the roads in Manutopea to me, let alone done under.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:
14 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Call me a cynical old bu99er if you will, but I firmly believe this rot was accelerated by Tony Blair and his mantra of “educashun, educashun, educashun” which funneled far too many youngsters into university education, resulting in a plethora of (for want of a better term) “Mickey Mouse,“ courses, with a resultant unrealistically high expectations of the graduates of those courses.

I will not. 

But I will lay that accusation at the feet of Captain Cynical 

Sounding more and more like a Bruce Wayne scenario to me.   Are we 100% certain that Captain Cynical isn't in fact il Dottore in a fancy suit with his pants on the outside of his trousers!  

And on that bombshell .... 

7 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

While having watched  Aussie dash cam stuff I have had some thoughts about

your people . I always had the picture of you all being laid back Mick Dundee have a

another beer types , until you get into a car , then there are several types as this list ,

1. Suicidal , will pull into oncoming traffic at the last second including B doubles .

2. Homicidal maniacs , will force others off the road when passing while crossing double white lines

or barge their way into  a gap just because . drive through red lights at high speed risking everyones life

cos I cant wait a minute.

3. The rules don't apply to me , so I'll pass a line of traffic at the lights and then drive through the red one .

or shortcut a roundabout the wrong way to save a few seconds because what ever I'm doing is so very

important every second counts .

4. The ones who should just never be driving as they display all the above in one go .

😎

I don't like to scare you but they sound more like the Muppets Puppers has to regularly fend off in Puppershire particularly when he's on a bike!

2 hours ago, polybear said:

When I looked round the first town (after the long wander along the river) I came across these by chance - I thought I'd try and match up a few with fellow ER'ers.....

Chevy Apache Pickup?  Who else but Chimpy @monkeysarefun....

IMG_13241.JPG.b6836b5b4d909144924fdd87e306038a.JPG

With wings like those?  @Dave Hunt......

IMG_13251.JPG.bd77e3e9fc1be72ffc61407aa5b77792.JPG

Chevy Bel Air?  Definitely Bear.....

IMG_13261.JPG.8c88ad78c67b0701b1ad6f5c4fa6818f.JPG

Country Lane Bimbler?  Who else but Puppers @PupCam....

IMG_13271.JPG.50a4639c4d431541cc92f07899e8f89e.JPG

1947(?) Triumph?  Tricky one.....

IMG_13301.JPG.bf2383753ac2ebeb9feaee5f2e2f39f3.JPG

Who else commands the style and presence of a RR but @iL Dottore?

IMG_13311.JPG.a92e0e190131515c2e960e1838aedaea.JPG

Lotus Elan Sprint?  Well I reckon that'd make a rather natty little number for blatting over the Mountain on Fraggle Rock.....so it's gotta be @New Haven Neil:

IMG_13331.JPG.72b6211b7fa006ac96e0ae48fa6a4150.JPG

Split Screen Vee Dub Camper?  @Gwiwer perhaps?

IMG_13341.JPG.a6dd54ad0c81ccc5d46ff4803e038bf5.JPG

Tricky....very Tricky.....a little number for @southern42 to zip around the lanes in Wales perhaps?

IMG_13351.JPG.13a8121ea2ee9c60ced153058c11a599.JPG

Harley?  Who else but @rockershovel?

IMG_13361.JPG.a480376e67d9369bc5bc586466f88af2.JPG

Lotus Elan+2?  @Erichill16 I reckon....

IMG_13411.JPG.de108881c79ef5c30e0856e2710b2b63.JPG

Beach Buggy?  Easy - it's gotta be @DaveF....

IMG_13421.JPG.4acdced86b9506070e98b1caac62ce70.JPG

That Weathered Look?  Who else but Baz @Barry O?

IMG_13431.JPG.4d0393cf70de8517929ef883ccfc80a0.JPG

And finally.....

Maserati?  Well every Bear needs a weekend runabout......

IMG_13441.JPG.8a5890d473fec72c6c72dd1c95e8ba30.JPG

Well there's the full range of vehicles there from real beauties to those that I wouldn't want to touch with a barge pole.     Can't say "foreign" cars (or HDs) generally do it for me.

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Rolls Royce?

@polybear was close.. but rather a Bentley than a Royce.

iD has of course used the correct term.

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Also at an impressionable age, I read an article somewhere by someone who claimed that Rolls-Royces were cars for “popstars, footballers and baked bean tycoons” (to which I would add, nowadays, petrosheiks, rappers and oligarchs), and that “a real gentleman drives a Bentley

As indeed does Derek Mathewson who has sold many of both marques.

ION

A thrash was thrashed over to Woburn this morning.    Well actually it was more of a creep.   Stuck behind a flaming field ornament trailer complete with two field ornaments for 90% of the journey.    The law of SoD dictating long traffic streams in the opposite direction at the few points where sensible motorcyclists would overtake.

This afternoon the rampant Wisteria has once again been tamed but don't tell WB!

Night All

• Like 13

17 minutes ago, PupCam said:

And on that bombshell .... 

Colour me confused. That was "Jessica" by The Allman Brothers (as linked in the playback) - first released in 1973 on their album Brothers and Sisters. It didn't even sound like a cover.

It's been a while but I thought Top Gear had a different introduction here. Online references do suggest it was Jessica. (Not what I remember.) 

EDIT:

Wikipedia to the rescue:

"Jessica" is also used for most international versions of Top Gear, including the US version, which used it as its theme only during the first season.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3