The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Off to do some "making shiny new things look better as in.. "used" in Baildon. T

I am conf  "used" in Sydney. But going by the clapping emojis it must be a good thing!

8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Very impressive.

I've never seen more than three at a time here and they are not quite in such nice condition.

image.png.b28931cd99f9d960e11525feb85a65b7.png

Though I am remiss in not attending an event called the "Great Oregon Steam-up!".  I've missed it for this year. It will return next summer. 

I need to put this on my calendar.

Not being USA-ian or UK-ian, I feel I  can pass judgment on both your  stuff. 

For most impressive historic cars and planes, the US rules. 

For steam powered historical   Traction engines, the UK is the world leader.  The above look a bit home made. 

Controversial?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

What car have the Americans made that is any good? The Shelby Cobra was a British car all the rest were all on lorry suspension leaf springs until recently when they looked under all the others and found independent suspension. Now there has been a couple of half decent engines made for cars, but they were better in a TVR or a Rover.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I have been assured that wearing a baseball cap back to front instantly reduces the IQ of the wearer by 10 points. Several of the ones that I have dealt with have ended up with a negative value. 

They walk among us .

image.png.e914626928b990fdb49ba0c8b2247a48.png

• Agree 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

For steam powered historical   Traction engines, the UK is the world leader.  The above look a bit home made. 

But still efficient at what they were designed to do .

So 100hp and modern pulling tractors are in the 1000s to do the same distance , okay they may

be a bit faster .

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pH said:
2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Bringing back handwritten exams (as were prevalent when I started teaching at university level) is a way of sorting sheep from goats. And, of course, proving skills…

I agree with what Tony S has posted above. Handwriting an exam requires a skill not in any way associated with the knowledge and skills the exam is meant to test.

I support the need for full, fair, original and objective assessment. 

We are not all skilled in handwriting. We are not all skilled at conveying our knowledge from brain to assessable format. 

My sister spent the last many years of her career as a SENTA. Special Educational Needs Teaching Assistant. She described the role as “arguing with teenagers for money”. She also made frequent mention of her part in their exams. Usually as scribe. She was the person who wrote down what the candidate told her to. There were numerous reasons why they themselves were unable to write - or in some cases unable to convey effectively what was being examined.  Some were physically unable to hold or control a pen. 

She feels that around three quarters of those she was assigned to assist passed exams which they would otherwise have either failed or been unable to sit at all. And therefore those students - who met the same levels and criteria as all others who passed - have a much better chance of establishing worthwhile careers.  She knows that some have now graduated from university.  Possibly through greater use of keyboard-based assessment but who knows?  

What are we to say to someone who shows skill, understanding and knowledge but is for what ever reason cannot operate a pen or a keyboard?  Certainly not “you can’t …….”  

We are as inclusive as we can manage so the response should be “with my help you can ……”

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 3

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

What car have the Americans made that is any good? The Shelby Cobra was a British car all the rest were all on lorry suspension leaf springs until recently when they looked under all the others and found independent suspension. Now there has been a couple of half decent engines made for cars, but they were better in a TVR or a Rover.

Its  horses for courses. You need to take a step back and view your situation from an independant viewpoint

. Mine as I said, is from a non biased  one rather than from a UK or US one. I also said "most impressive" rather than "any good ",   so I CAN be subjective, so here we go!

England is a crowded little island with  twisty roads -  so all the cars that you gloat over as being the pinnacle of automotive brilliance like the mini and the MG or whatever  work there,  so you just assume they are the best and most brilliant car for everyone else too.

You are also over-stuffed with self-entitled posh people who tell you that  they are your betters cos of the "class system"  (  that you need to overthrow )   who swoosh around    in fancy Jaaaaags and Rollers, so you are taught to assume that they are  also the pinnacle of automotive awesomeness because your betters drive them.

But some parts of the world are flat and huge and fast and no one is  any better than the next person.   

Like here, and the US, where driving along in a mini for 40 hours or whatever would send you insane and a Jaaaag would overheat and break down. For that situation, the US cars win out every time. 

My point of view is from here, where I'd much rather do Sydney to Perth in a 1958 Ford Thunderbird (best selling car in the US that year)  than a 1958 Morris Minor (best selling car in the UK that year)🙂

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

As it's in a 'posh' part of Manutopea I will have to mind my p's & q's.

I thought you only needed to,be careful if there were chickens…

• Funny 11

33 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

They walk among us .

image.png.e914626928b990fdb49ba0c8b2247a48.png

The  first person who comes up with a baseball cap that has a sun visor on the back as well  will become  a billionaire.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

You are also over-stuffed with self-entitled posh people who assume they are your betters cos of the class system (  that you need to overthrow )   who swoosh around    in fancy Jaaaaags and Rollers, so you are taught to assume that they are  also the pinnacle of automotive awesomeness because your betters drive them.

While having watched  Aussie dash cam stuff I have had some thoughts about

your people . I always had the picture of you all being laid back Mick Dundee have a

another beer types , until you get into a car , then there are several types as this list ,

1. Suicidal , will pull into oncoming traffic at the last second including B doubles .

2. Homicidal maniacs , will force others off the road when passing while crossing double white lines

or barge their way into  a gap just because . drive through red lights at high speed risking everyones life

cos I cant wait a minute.

3. The rules don't apply to me , so I'll pass a line of traffic at the lights and then drive through the red one .

or shortcut a roundabout the wrong way to save a few seconds because what ever I'm doing is so very

important every second counts .

4. The ones who should just never be driving as they display all the above in one go .

😎

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

England is a crowded little island with  twisty roads …

I know that it’s not really relevant to what you’re saying, but I would just like to point out that England is not an island.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

My point of view is from here, where I'd much rather do Sydney to Perth in a 1958 Ford Thunderbird (best selling car in the US that year)  than a 1958 Morris Minor (best selling car in the UK that year).

Two guys did this years Peking to Paris event in a 1964 Mini Cooper S, took 45 days .so Perth to Sydney

at a pitiful 2000 miles ( 3300 k ) is  but a day trip .    😎

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

For me it is this one…..and right now it is parked on my drive…..seriously. 

It remains me of being a kid and Saturday nights watch ‘Starsky and Hutch’. Not quite the same car but near enough for me. 

IMG_6696.jpeg.6f76125bee99701798fe1888bc4e9ba6.jpeg

IMG_6695.jpeg.024867c555538f542b351ffccb776d10.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 3

1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

While having watched  Aussie dash cam stuff I have had some thoughts about

your people . I always had the picture of you all being laid back Mick Dundee have a

another beer types , until you get into a car , then there are several types as this list ,

1. Suicidal , will pull into oncoming traffic at the last second including B doubles .

2. Homicidal maniacs , will force others off the road when passing while crossing double white lines

or barge their way into  a gap just because . drive through red lights at high speed risking everyones life

cos I cant wait a minute.

3. The rules don't apply to me , so I'll pass a line of traffic at the lights and then drive through the red one .

or shortcut a roundabout the wrong way to save a few seconds because what ever I'm doing is so very

important every second counts .

4. The ones who should just never be driving as they display all the above in one go .

Yes,  there  are well-known numpties and recent arrivals that we have our eyes on who have not yet figured out that you need to lay down a smoke screen first in order to hide any subsequent embarrassing manoeuvres that would  other wise end up in Dash Cam Australias evil  clutches.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

36 minutes ago, pH said:

I know that it’s not really relevant to what you’re saying, but I would just like to point out that England is not an island.

Well  Shakespeare is a bit of a dill then!

This royal throne of kings, this scepter’d isle, This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, This other Eden, demi-paradise, This fortress built by Nature for herself Against infection and the hand of war, This happy breed of men, this little world, This precious stone set in the silver sea, Which serves it in the office of a wall, Or as a moat defensive to a house, Against the envy of less happier lands, This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

45 minutes ago, Grizz said:

For me it is this one…..and right now it is parked on my drive…..seriously. 

It remains me of being a kid and Saturday nights watch ‘Starsky and Hutch’. Not quite the same car but near enough for me. 

IMG_6696.jpeg.6f76125bee99701798fe1888bc4e9ba6.jpeg

A Gran Torino I assume... Is it the 7 litre version!?

have you seen the Clint Eastwood movie of the same name? It would be right up @polybear alley as it involves an old bloke wreaking vengeance and fury upon "scrotes" !

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

So we went to the large Tesco store in Poole. Now what are the odds of three people (us and two others) arriving with their shopping to load up their three adjacent cars at the same time?

For that calculation we’d first need to know how many cars were in the car park - and how many owners of those were actually shopping in Tesco…

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

have you seen the Clint Eastwood movie of the same name? It would be right up @polybear alley as it involves an old bloke wreaking vengeance and fury upon "scrotes" !

Excellent film .

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Actually Shakespeare didn't get much right in history, and not too accurate on geography either.

The tales that were written had to please his political masters, the Lords, Pembroke, Strange, Sussex et al.

Hitting the big time with the Lord Chamberlains men, ( entertainment for QE1) they then became the Kings Men on the accession of King James VI and I. They were the longest surviving acting group of the time lasting from 1594 to 1642 ( officially) when the puritans closed the theatres, though descendant companies of the group can be loosely traced to 1705.

He did write a good story though, much of which is lost today because teachers don't explain the double meanings, (much of which was very rude) the local events, and the political factors affecting each tale.

Such as Malvolios yellow socks, with black cross garters, the role Malvolio was often played by Shakespeare himself, hidden in his plays are uncomplimentary comments about the York officer of Arms, Ralph Brooke who challenged Shakespeare's right to a coat of arms.

image.png.635e7814e855ea21def2e62f384ebb4d.png

Afternoon Awl,

Didn't feel like going down in the ditch today, actually didn't / don't feel like doing anything..

But..

Decided to start building one of the new main gates, one frame has been made, it now awaits several coats of paint. The wire mesh in the current gates will be transferred later..

Then the bridge, something unmentionable has been laid on it, and attached.  Either side of there is now also more laid It now awaits something grey, that unfortunately won't arrive till Monday. Had a thought the bridge will need electrickery. Thinking now on connections...

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, TheQ said:

because teachers don't explain the double meanings, (much of which was very rude)

My English teacher loathed the work of Thomas Bowdler and made sure we knew what Shakespeare meant. 

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Well  Shakespeare is a bit of a dill then!

This royal throne of kings, this scepter’d isle … This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,

32 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Actually Shakespeare didn't get much right in history, and not too accurate on geography either.

As TheQ says, Shakespeare is better known as a poet and dramatist than as a physical geographer. I’ll quote Wikipedia, for which I may be criticized, but it has the basic facts right.

England is a country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England

located on the island of Great Britain: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain

On that island, it shares land borders with the countries of Scotland and Wales. This means that England is not entirely surrounded by water, and so is not itself an island.

P.S. If that makes Shakespeare a bit of a dill, then so be it!

Edited by pH
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

It's been a grey day, at least in the colour of the sky.  I did the shopping to get some nice rolls and bread then on the way home called at the Quayside and had a walk while watching the antics of youngish gulls which will try to eat anything not securely fastened down.  One was trying to fly while carrying a small food box.  I also walked round the park for the first time in ages, it is usually very busy in the summer.  Today there was hardly anyone about, perhaps everyone is in Spain/Turkey or wherever.

I had the usual look at a mix of new and old (2012) photos after first having a good natter with neighbours who were tidying their garden.

This afternoon I've replaced some grout between tiles in the bathroom - I may have the bathroom refurbished in due course but decided it would be better if the grout was done as any changes to the bathroom are some months away, at least.  In fact now I can move around easily again after the hernia fix I may not change anything, as I like a bath sometimes instead of a shower.

I've also done jobs in the garden, the remaining foxglove seeds on the flower spikes have been spread around to start growing next Spring to flower in two years time.  Some weeds have also been removed.

I had a look at the signs about the forthcoming roadworks, having read them for myself it is not too bad.  Roads will be closed at times for 4 to 7 days but the main warning is of delays.  As I don't often go into town when there is traffic it shouldn't be as bad as I had feared.

David

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2