The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, polybear said:
  • Significant Mental Impairment**

etc.

OK, so the Docs may well not be able to do anything about it - but if I were to have a Cardiac Arrest under any of those circumstances then I most definitely wouldn't want a jump start.

(** More than I've already got, that is.....)

I'm glad you added the ** but given we're in ER isn't that already part of the ER definition 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Nothing specifically wrong with those, if good quality and without additives, and other junk (although the sugar and fat content might not be appropriate immediately post-op); but – and this is a big but – beans, potatoes peas and treacle pud are relatively high in roughage. This means that this roughage will accumulate in the bowel and need to be excreted,

Immediately post-op, a patient who has just had knee surgery will be on narcotic analgesics and one of the side effects of narcotics is constipation, which can vary from moderate to severe. Sometimes, this constipation is so severe that the bowel contents have to be removed manually. The expression “sh1t a brick” is definitely not a metaphor with narcotic induced constipation.

So it’s really not a good idea to fill up your patient with roughage when they are still on narcotic analgesics……

It took Bear hours to come up with that Menu.......😢

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Baz has perfected the cricket umpire signal for an "itchy leg,"

IMG-20240816-WA0004.jpg.869c7010cfefc4f9b340d6dc435dcc75.jpg

Baz

Looks more like "Leg Over Wicket" to me...

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Right , lets see if I can complete this posting and not send an empty space .

Mr Bear , that is but a toy alpine coaster , here is a mans one .

Also a page from Youtube with many more to view .

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alpine+coasters

Edited by Sidecar Racer
Hit a wrong button somehow .
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear is of the same view - I actually have a "Living Will" which specifies various circumstances where I most definitely "want out", such as:

• Quadriplegic
  • Blind
  • Significant Mental Impairment**

etc.

OK, so the Docs may well not be able to do anything about it - but if I were to have a Cardiac Arrest under any of those circumstances then I most definitely wouldn't want a jump start.

(** More than I've already got, that is.....)

Arhmm Bear forgot to include - never able to eat cake again.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

A morning of "stuff", including finally sorting something that's been bugging me for ages - namely getting rid of white deposits on Bear's black "Silgranit" sink (installed as a part of the Great Kitchen Refurb).  I used good 'ol Viakal; I checked with the sink manufacturer that it was ok to use some months ago and was told it was - though the Woman I spoke to had never heard of it 😮 and had to check the ingredients, which didn't give a very warm feeling....

Anyway I finally decided to give it a go and it was fine, so Huge Tick awarded.

Post-din dins involved an extended Triple Hilly Wander - just under 4 miles, another Tick.

Choo Choo inspection & testing?  Still on the "to do list".....

BG

Viakal and other limescale removers such as Oust mostly consist of formic acid which is what makes stinging nettles sting. It is perfectly safe to use (stinging nettles are edible).

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Snowball Earth, and this is a caption on a photo in the BBC article: The discovery was made by Elias Rugen, here pretending to hammer in a coveted golden spike. For now he's making do with a carrot. Priceless! ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/08/16/postcards-from-the-periphery-2024-20/

It reminded me of the Bursar offering Ridcully a steak to impale Windle Poons with when Poons became a zombie...

(something like that, anyway)

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

eeeyoop.

The Old Farts had a big day out today and went all the way to the Sound - aka Lands End of Fraggle Rock.  Full Man Breakfasts were consumed, not a bad feed at all.

A day of mixed emotions though, as had a friend visiting which was good, a nice ride out with the group was excellent, only for one of the crew to give bad news over brunch from a medical perspective regarding his wife.  Quite ruined the day really, they're good friends.

On a brighter note, it was really nice out today after the rather chilly start.

20240816_1100251.jpg.921639d47fcce60062de9298a94c4d95.jpg

O what a nice collection of moticyculs Neil. Pity about that scruffy f&RT sitting on one. Did he get permission.

• Like 8
  • Funny 5

4 minutes ago, TheQ said:

That slow ride is just 21 miles from my parents I'm going up there next month...

Evening Awl,

Museum went well, a bit busy, started lunch at 12:00, finished lunch at 15:00....

That's how long it took just to find time to  complete eating 1 sarnie...

Prior to the busyness I repaired 21 switch caps and 2 complete switches..

Modelling,1/1000 scale I only had time to insert about 20 fence posts...

Later at the MRC not happy with Tuesday's work, may need  a complete rebuild of that section of parallel bits of metal. Codgitating on that one.

Todays planned work went well.. at least I hope it was, I'll see on the next visit on Tuesday.

Woodstain has arrived for bridge, along with 2x hats wide brim with ventilation in topsides. The house of strong ladies needed two paper packets two plastic bags to send them in.... They are advertised as rollable, you could have fitted 4 into each bag..

That hats are actually for me for sailing, my old straw hats fell apart, and the dark blue sailing club baseball hat was too hot and allowed burnt neck and ears..

I thought you were supposed to wear baseball caps back to front to stop your neck getting burnt.

Just remember to run the shoelaces throw the holes in the hat and under your chin and not the other way round.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

This evening, Vickie and Ava called round to drop off my birthday cards and presents. Ian didn’t stop, as he’s working tonight, so I gave Vickie a lift home, after he’d gone to work. The reason they’ve dropped my cards and presents off early, is that they are all off to Lanzarote on Monday, I’m out tomorrow and on Sunday they’ll be very busy packing etc, so called today instead.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Evening All,

You may have noticed that Puppers has been rather low profile for these past few days. So, some speed reading & skippage of the thread has had to take place but there was a good reason.   

The Puppers, Junior Puppers and Junior Junior Puppers have all been on holiday in deepest Norfolk and a very fine time was had.    We stayed in a place about 3/4 of a mile from the delightful Weybourne station on the North Norfolk Railway.     Locomotives whistling and working hard up the bank could be heard from base camp.   It would have been rude not to go for a couple of rides and to visit the station a few times.   It really is idyllic and in such a contrast to the current Sherringham Greater Anglia station.  Eldest JJP who is developing a keen interest in things that run of parallel strips of metal was given the opportunity of visiting Weybourne signal box and speaking to the extremely friendly controller of signals.  He  explained to JJP what all the coloured levers did (I suggested he skipped over the details of the blue ones as JJP is 6 years old and that particular concept might be a bit advanced 🤣)   

Speaking of the Sherringham Greater Anglia  station when we visited with the intention of a ride  on one of those (very good) modern trains for a "Compare and Contrast" exercise with a "proper" train the single ticket machine was out of order.   The only way of purchasing the train tickets before boarding was via a flaming App.    Junior Puppers did the honours but if it was down to me I wouldn't have done so on a point of principle - I WILL NOT BE FORCED TO USE A SMART PHONE APP FOR ANYTHING & EVERYTHING AND SET UP YET ANOTHER ACCOUNT JUST TO BUY A TRAIN TICKET.   IT'S DISCRIMINATION AGAINST THOSE THAT CAN'T DO SO (mainly but not exclusively the elderly).   You may of course regard that as a rant and me a luddite if you wish but it's still discrimination and if it was in in another form in other contexts would be illegal (and rightly so).    Anyway the train itself was very good and the driver particularly attentive to JJP so full marks to him and "Nul points" to the infrastructure mob.   Oh yes, while I'm ranting about modern trends I will commend Norfolk County Council(?) for their car parking systems I encountered.    You go to a  machine, press a button a number of times to indicate the length of your stay, present your credit card to the machine and it dispenses a ticket to be displayed in your vehicle.   First class, works a treat and not a stupid Parking App in sight and long may it continue (Upgrading the machines as necessary to 4G technology as and when the current 3G technology is no longer supported)

Mr & Mrs P had a "Quiet day" and  visited Hindringham Hall Gardens which was very nice.  Not a bad little place but it would sadly be well out of Puppers' accommodation budget if it ever came onto the market!    Nice moat, complete with visible eels.

In the file of "What to do leaflets" back at the accommodation was one for  a certain Museum not so far away at a place called Neatishead.   I thought it might be rather interesting and an opportunity to meet up with a certain ER.    However as the accommodation was arrive and chuck out on Fridays that would have involved driving in completely the wrong direction today "on the way home" so a visit will have to wait until another time.

ION

You may recall me recounting the tale of the White Elephant Roundabout on the A6 in Puppershire recently.   Just to recap; they spent ~£7M, inconvenienced the users for ~15 months with road and lane closures to provide "Increased traffic capacity and enhanced safety"   They achieved this by putting in lots of new pavements and light controlled crossings (for mostly non-existent pedestrians), resurfacing the roundabout, painting two lanes on the roundabout and "merge arrows" on the essentially single track exits.  

Well, apparently it's going to have road works and lane closures for two weeks whilst they "Improve safety"; re-painting the road markings & re-positioning signage which allegedly have caused a number of accidents so far. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/clygnln1jdgo       "Minor snagging" - my ar...   

Designing a simple roundabout with two orthogonal roads?  How hard can it be (it's not exactly new technology is it)?   

You really couldn't make it up!

Night All

Bit like the road going past our local NHS job centre.

For the last ten years, to my knowledge, they have had to discontinue the bus lanes on it because said job centre car park has insufficient capacity and as a result the cars have to queue on the bus lane in order to access it. Three guesses what - no there not going to increase the size of the carpark that would be to easy ( and of course the NHS is broke). Instead they are going to get rid of the bus lanes completely. Can you guess whose up in arms about it. Yep the cycling lot as they say it will be too dangerous now to cycle on the road.

What's even better is the money to pay for this 'improvement' - other words are available, is meant to be spent on ' encouraging diversification of means of travel' aka cycling.

It just gets better and better.

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3