The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good slightly-after-morning all

A busy day here. And a fine one but not much chance to really enjoy that. 

Dr SWMBO is on her way home after an extended week-and-bit working from work. She queried with me the “first stop Plymouth” of her train as she is more accustomed to pausing and exchanging passengers at Reading, Taunton, Exeter and several other places. The departure board at Paddington was correct however. On Fridays through summer the 12.03 is ostensibly first stop Plymouth. As in the better days of the real GWR. It does call at Exeter as these days crews must swap over there. However it only picks up passengers, not setting down from London. 

The Distant (Signal) West must therefore be cleaned in readiness. Shopping has just been done. Tick. 

The electrician arrived promptly at 8.30 - which was one reason for my early start as a week’s worth of bathroom slime and overnight’s dishes in the kitchen had to be dealt with first. 

We now own a brand new kitchen extractor, bathroom mirror-light and two double sockets along the kitchen bench. All just two hours work and being charged for at 2x hourly rate not his “half-day” rate. As he said it was less than half of half a day’s work.  Tick. 

A little extra cleaning up behind him is already done so it’s put down the phone, turn off the intertubes, release the Shark and insert bedding into the sloshing machine. 

Oh - and the dehumidifier is arriving between 13.48 and 14.48 so I need to be home between those very precise times. 

Back dreckly. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Another important thing, post op, is to ambulate (get out of bed and move around) as soon as possible. Current thinking is the day of, or the day immediately after surgery for first ambulation (hip replacement patients are often ambulated the evening of their morning surgery). It will hurt like b*****y the first week or so. But that too passes.

One last point, you will have to relearn to do certain things. For me, one of the happiest days of my life was when I could - post knee prosthesis surgery - put my socks on all by myself...

I think I'm correct in saying that doing all physio exercises religiously is also essential, despite the inevitable pain.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Dr SWMBO is on her way home after an extended week-and-bit working from work. She queried with me the “first stop Plymouth” of her train as she is more accustomed to pausing and exchanging passengers at Reading, Taunton, Exeter and several other places. The departure board at Paddington was correct however. On Fridays through summer the 12.03 is ostensibly first stop Plymouth. As in the better days of the real GWR. It does call at Exeter as these days crews must swap over there. However it only picks up passengers, not setting down from London. 

How do you go about letting new passengers on without existing ones getting off?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

p.s. regarding "yummy scoff", you do realise that - post surgery - Phil will automatically be placed on a physician approved diet regimen.....

Note to Phil @PhilJ W:

When you're presented with Steamed White Fish on a bed of rice and a side-salad, followed by Melon for Pud you'll know who to blame....

Now Bear was planning on Ham, Eggs, Chips & Beans (or mushy peas), followed by Treacle Pud n' Custard.......

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Progress on the hole in the ceiling repair has gone well. I patched the hole from above with a piece of plasterboard fixed with “Sticks Like Sh t Turbo” adhesive and have stuck most of the droopy bits back to that. Just a bit of filling, restoration of pattern and painting now, but not today!  Waiting for lunch (late) now. I think next time I use the “Sticks like” stuff I might wear gloves. It is quite difficult to remove from skin too.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, polybear said:

How do you go about letting new passengers on without existing ones getting off?

As the only previous boarding point is Paddington where access to most trains (other than on platform 1) is by electronic gate these would not necessarily permit access to a train not booked to serve a specific station.  They do the same for Friday calls at Reading on the GWR main line; pick-up only on most trains to Plymouth and beyond.  

An on-board check would also pick up anyone hoping to alight at a "pick-up only" stop.  Strictly speaking a penalty fare can be issued to such passengers as they are travelling by a train not advertised to offer their journey.  That can be a couple of Deltics if one is "nicked" for trying to alight at Exeter when not permitted to do so.  The penalty fare is the Anytime Single from point of boarding to the next advertised stop (so Paddington - Plymouth) plus £100.  Pleading "I" didn't know" is akin to suggesting to Plod that you didn't know the speed limit when nicked for driving too fast.  It is your responsibility to know and to board the correct train.  

Most passengers on longer-distance trains hold seat reservations there should be minimal abuse since the reservation system will not allow nor issue tickets for a non-permitted journey.  Such as 12.03 Fridays Paddington - Exeter.  

There are also relief trains run for intermediate stations on these days.  If you require Reading or intermediate stations to Ivybridge there is a 12.05 right behind.  

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Note to Phil @PhilJ W:

When you're presented with Steamed White Fish on a bed of rice and a side-salad, followed by Melon for Pud you'll know who to blame....

Nah, nothing like that.

Immediately post up, I was in ICU which meant NPO (nil per os); upon discharge to my hospital room, the first one or two days were indeed light meals, but nothing as bland or boring as PB makes out. After which, it was back to a standard diet. In fact, the hospital where I had my operation offered patients four or five choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Amongst these choices were SchniPoSa (schnitzel [breaded] pommes frites and salad) and Spaghetti Alla Carbonara (sort of).

Hopefully, Phil will also be in a hospital that offers decent food.

Now Bear was planning on Ham, Eggs, Chips & Beans (or mushy peas), followed by Treacle Pud n' Custard.......

Nothing specifically wrong with those, if good quality and without additives, and other junk (although the sugar and fat content might not be appropriate immediately post-op); but – and this is a big but – beans, potatoes peas and treacle pud are relatively high in roughage. This means that this roughage will accumulate in the bowel and need to be excreted,

Immediately post-op, a patient who has just had knee surgery will be on narcotic analgesics and one of the side effects of narcotics is constipation, which can vary from moderate to severe. Sometimes, this constipation is so severe that the bowel contents have to be removed manually. The expression “sh1t a brick” is definitely not a metaphor with narcotic induced constipation.

So it’s really not a good idea to fill up your patient with roughage when they are still on narcotic analgesics……

Edited by iL Dottore
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

I think I'm correct in saying that doing all physio exercises religiously is also essential, despite the inevitable pain.

Indeed, that is the case. One of the post up PT exercises that must be religiously done is to bend and then extend the leg repeatedly for anywhere up to about half an hour. Fortunately, they have these nifty little machines that they strap your leg into which will do the bending and extending for you.

This is not about muscle strength, but rather about maintaining the flexibility of the tendons and sinews around the joint. You don’t want them to start contracting or to adhere to each other.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

The expression “sh1t a brick” .........

It's a mighty long time since I last heard that one.....🤣

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Just got a reminder that my TV licence is due to be renewed at the end of the month

TVLicenceRenewal1.jpg.0809fb8531145f22f462a57bf623ad5b.jpg

Lorem Ipsum?

I wonder what block of text was forgotten....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

You don’t want them to start contracting or to adhere to each other.

+1 

I had an adhesion in the groin after my hip surgery, which eventually came away when back at work as got up from my desk - pyooowwwwspyoinggg 'oh my that smarted'. #other terms may have been used at that point#

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, polybear said:

**But if you think Bear's gonna go wiping yer Bum then think again, bucko......

I think that will be down to the nurses. Seriously though my family have the instruction that if I'm so seriously ill with no chance of recovery and I am unable to wipe my own bum then switch the life support off.

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good Luck Phil.

I was in the same situation about 20 years ago, aggressive osteoarthritis with "bone on bone" on the right knee and damn near the same on the left. I had bilateral prostheses (fitted simultaneously) which meant about 2-3 weeks in hospital then another 2-3 weeks in "rehab", followed by physical therapy for a year or so. The prostheses have made a significant difference.  To illustrate: just before going into surgery I had a "morale boosting" trip to London. During which I walked up to Greenwich Observatory via the Prime Meridian Walk. By the time I got to the observatory, my joints felt like someone was inserting large red-hot knitting needles into my knees and and an arthritic snail could have lapped me. About 6 or 7 months later, post surgery, I returned and did the same walk - this time zipping up it at a decent pace and with no pain at all.

It's no panacea, depending upon how bad the damage is to the knee joint you will end up with some limitations of range of motion, flexion and (possibly adduction), due to how the geometry of the joint is affected (which in turn has a knock on effect elsewhere).

One thing you must insist on, no matter where you have your surgery, is pain medication "on demand". Studies have shown that by letting patients decide when to take their pain medication, it results in less pain for the patient, less narcotic and other analgesic use, and improved pain management overall (obviously, any "on demand" pain management protocol will have safeguards in place to prevent overdose/toxicity). Another important thing, post op, is to ambulate (get out of bed and move around) as soon as possible. Current thinking is the day of, or the day immediately after surgery for first ambulation (hip replacement patients are often ambulated the evening of their morning surgery). It will hurt like b*****y the first week or so. But that too passes.

One last point, you will have to relearn to do certain things. For me, one of the happiest days of my life was when I could - post knee prosthesis surgery - put my socks on all by myself...

I do find that moving around does ease the pain somewhat, it's remaining still that causes problems as the joints seize up so remaining ambulant shouldn't be a problem. I still visit exhibitions and toy fairs where there is plenty of scope for exercise and if I need a rest my rollator has a seat*.

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

p.s. regarding "yummy scoff", you do realise that - post surgery - Phil will automatically be placed on a physician approved diet regimen.....

I do watch what I eat, there are some foods that I like but do without, usually because of salt/sugar content. The local hospital food is provided by a contractor who also manage the public cafeteria in the hospital entrance. I took a meal there when I went there six months ago for an endoscopy and while waiting for my prescription to be filled I had sausage, chips and peas. The food was basic but well cooked and I would give it a 'not too bad' rating. It's possible that my operation will be farmed out to the private sector, there's a couple of such hospitals locally both of which have a good reputation for food.

*The seat is a sort of mini hammock. It's like sitting on a tightrope, if I sit for too long my bum will look like a hot cross bun.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 15

POETS and morning - just!

Yesterday, having done the required taxi service, the Mrs eyes passed muster, YAY!

Evening choir group get-together was very enjoyable, we also were informed by email, just as we gathered, that the choir season first rehearsal is Sept. 19th. BRILLIANT! 😲

Having just planned our short autumn trip, and EXPECTING the first rehearsal would be much earlier in September, we now are away for that first rehearsal <grrr>

Today, Jemma dropped Whitney off early for a short stay, just until Sunday evening, she's off to Geneva for a quick three-day trip.

We've no particular plans for the weekend other than the Mrs probably accompanying Meagan to an Indian Festival in Minneapolis on Saturday, I decided to opt out.

Weather drizzle and 17c first thing, expecting a high of only 21c and drizzle/rain/storms off and on all day, we'll see what actually transpires compared to forecasts!

Carry on with your weekend adventures.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I think that will be down to the nurses. Seriously though my family have the instruction that if I'm so seriously ill with no chance of recovery and I am unable to wipe my own bum then switch the life support off.

Bear is of the same view - I actually have a "Living Will" which specifies various circumstances where I most definitely "want out", such as:

• Quadriplegic
  • Blind
  • Significant Mental Impairment**

etc.

OK, so the Docs may well not be able to do anything about it - but if I were to have a Cardiac Arrest under any of those circumstances then I most definitely wouldn't want a jump start.

(** More than I've already got, that is.....)

Edited by polybear
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, polybear said:

... A Bear in the kitchen knocking up the most magnificent yummy scoff ...

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

.... The local hospital food is provided by a contractor who also manage the public cafeteria in the hospital entrance. I took a meal there when I went there six months ago for an endoscopy and while waiting for my prescription to be filled I had sausage, chips and peas. The food was basic but well cooked and I would give it a 'not too bad' rating. It's possible that my operation will be farmed out to the private sector, there's a couple of such hospitals locally both of which have a good reputation for food. ...

My own experience is that the private hospitals will feed you as well as a decent restaurant would and the NHS ... well ... it's anywhere from decent to whatever rubbish the chef scrapes from under their fingernails. My father noticed a massive difference between weekdays and weekends when he was inside. During the week it was good, Saturdays, Sundays, bleugh.... When it was my turn, I don't know if they were expecting me to die and had decided it was a waste of money giving me proper food but if it had been served to prisoners in HMP they would have been on the roofs throwing slates faster than you can say 'malpractice'. 

But @PhilJ W - operations and anaesthetics do play merry hell with your digestion - iL D is not joking or exaggerating... the first day or two afterwards can be ... 'difficult'... 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

@polybear @PhilJ W, i’m not sure how to break this to you, lads. But….

For the first couple of days after surgery, you won’t be able (or need) to defecate.

Then they will give you some really heavy duty drugs to promote colonic peristalsis and you will defecate: on a bedpan and you will have your bum wiped by a nurse. 

Given that a healthy human being will regularly defecate at intervals of anything between one to four days, if you are one of these “regular, once a day“ types, you are going to be spending quite a bit of time on that bedpan.

IF you are (a) lucky and (b) are willing to face the pain of getting out of bed (and it will be painful the first week or so), they may allow you to use a portaloo (basically a seat with a hole in it and a bedpan beneath) next to the hospital bed.

IF are (a) adequately “doped up” and (b) are willing to face the pain of getting out of bed and (c) are stubborn as **** you can make it to the hospital room WC

I opted for the latter!

Edited by iL Dottore
Forgot text
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A bit late as RMweb seems to go t1ts up every time I try to post. Not a lot else to report about to get dinner ready, the C&M pizza is todays choice.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

For a start, what a rubbish film clip!

As for the ride itself, it should be marketed as a high-octane luge ride, however...

It "ends in the car park" - a waste of a marketing opportunity. It should end next to OR IN the gift shop!

Maximum speed 28 mph - too ruddy slow!

Passenger can control braking - There should be some automatic braking when the luge seat gets to a tight turn, but otherwise the rider should get a visceral thrill as they go through the more gentle turns and twists . Riders should not have any control over progress down the ride.

It sounds like it was designed by a risk averse chicken...

Edited by Hroth
An extra THORT!
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1