The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

I popped into the Co-op earlier. Every one of the glass fridge and freezer doors - those floorish-to-ceilingish ones - was thick with condensation on the outsides. The shop floor was wet with those yellow “wet floor” signs out everywhere. 

I used to encounter that in the Northern Territory whenever  I was there during Gunumeleng, the pre-monsoon "season" just before Christmas when the humidity is off the scale but the storms are yet to arrive.

I'd have to open each fridge in turn  to see what was in them since it was impossible to see  through the glass.

(Also known as "Mango Madness" season because the oppressive heat and humidity affects peoples moods and makes people go crazy.   Example - 50% of violent crime is committed in the October - December period. )

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 16

Am questioning my decision to spend my Sunday watching the Olympics closing ceremony. I did think that extinguishing the flame* was quite intimate.

* In @Hroth's Davy Safety Lamp.

Today turned into a stunning day and I feel like I could have used the time better. We've a reprieve from the heat.  It is 27°C and despite overcast this morning when I took my daily walk, the sky is a beautiful blue - all the wildfire smoke and hazardous particulates having been blown somewhere else. The next two days are forecast (26°C) to be cooler than the seasonal normal (29°C).

Meanwhile the Olympics are not quite over for a 'local'. A US gymnast is going through the legal wringer - having at the event filed an inquiry to her score - giving her bronze (later allegedly three seconds too late, stripping her of the bronze, but now claimed to be 13 seconds ahead of the window in the latest appeal).  All on subjective, 'style point' judging. She grew up across the river from Portland so we'll be hearing about this for a while.

No one is actually questioning the score she deserved - just when the inquiry was filed.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 13

2 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Gotta say, I'm enjoying watching this kind of thing!

There's an obsession about how bigly things* are with that candidate.

* Crowd size is just one.

He recently described attendees to his speech on an infamous date in January 2021 (53,000) as bigger than the 1963 March on Washington (250,000).

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

9 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Gotta say, I'm enjoying seeing this kind of thing!

Untitled.png.b9e1bb683cb4dfbde0d83f053e93e10b.png

My stick is bigger than yours. Just like being back in the school yard.

Sorry if that offends some of our American breathe. But really.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Now that the games are over the netball debate is on:

CNN: This women’s sport has fought for more than 50 years to be in the Olympics. Could Brisbane 2032 change its fortunes?

Ironically the biggest obstacle is gender equality - unless it is made a 'demonstration' sport.

(My youngest sister is a big netball fan. She loves the game and while she was a stay-at-home mum, would work as a netball umpire.)

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Thought there was supposed to be a good display of shooting stars after midnight...

Just been down to the field near us; can see all the stars - "The Plough" is really clear. But not a single shooting star. 

Never mind. Bedtime awaits. Did I get the wrong night?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

6 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Did I get the wrong night?

Nope - the peak of the Perseid meteor shower is tonight.

Much depends on how dark your area is.

I'm guessing but it doesn't look like you are in a 'good' area for dark skies:

image.png.ddf48ab73a4cae6a4e7c400034c47336.png

From here.

Where I live, the night sky is as bright as Poole.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Due to so many of them  moving to Australia, thus shifting the Per Capita more in their favour.

ooh - does this mean that we Kiwis can claim a share of Aussie gold, given the number over there? Must be a million or so by now, so with about 26 million and 18 gold, oh hang on we'll have to round up to 1. Given the 10 already, probably not worth it.

And I see the local semi-news site is reporting that NZ has been left off the world map again.

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 6

20 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I can't get page 13314.

We walked past a cricket game between the boat and Kew Gardens.

Who won?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Thought there was supposed to be a good display of shooting stars after midnight...

Just been down to the field near us; can see all the stars - "The Plough" is really clear. But not a single shooting star. 

Picked up 3 this evening in around 5 minutes but we are in what would be classed in the UK as a dark sky area.  I reckon of those 2 at least would not have been visible with any degree of artificial light around.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

10 minutes ago, enz said:

And I see the local semi-news site is reporting that NZ has been left off the world map again.

You're all used to that by now. There's even a Wikipedia page for it.

If the Brisbane 2032 games organizers try to do a world map, I'll put in a word for you. 😉

That's OK. In solidarity, as a Queenslander, I will formally protest the absence of Queensland on the representation of your West Island, and Tasmania, and Indonesia etc:

image.png.72f403681cb33da725b54d8317e35317.png

image.png.97a616270e796fb06a4301ddb9727223.png

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Tassie often gets left off of maps - and thats maps made in Australia.

...  Sheesh, sure makes them angry!

They should argue that they shouldn't have to pay Federal taxes. That will get them noticed.

They could use 'taxation without visual representation is tyranny' as the rallying cry. (Americans- have I got this right?)

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

On condensation and humidity. 

I popped into the Co-op earlier. Every one of the glass fridge and freezer doors - those floorish-to-ceilingish ones - was thick with condensation on the outsides. The shop floor was wet with those yellow “wet floor” signs out everywhere. 

I exchanged greetings with one of their staff suggesting, in a humorous way, that the tide had come in to which he replied that he had mopped up the mess four times already. Caused by nothing more than the atmospheric humidity condensing thickly on the cold glass and running to the floor. 

Steamy fridge doors are not unusual. But it’s usually on the inside after someone has had the door open. I have only rarely seen it so severely on the outside. Ans very seldom indeed have I seen it making the floors awash. 

It’s a bit drier now. I have had the windows open and allowed the drier air to blow through. The walls are no longer sticky to touch. The really wet area of earlier is now just slightly moist. The aroma of “damp everything” has, I hope, gone with the wind. Until next time. 

This suggests they have faulty fridges, the vertical glass in doors on fridges are heated to prevent this and to prevent the insides icing up.

You often see the odd door fail with the local door heating circuit failing, but for the lot to go it sounds like they have a common supply failure or someone has adjusted the heat levels down to far, probably claiming it to be "green" but in reality to save money.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Well I've got to do something with  my time now the Olympics have finished.

How about start worrying sorry, worry even more about your Field Ornament Buddies - it looks like your worst nightmare has just got a whole lot worse:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cwy4j4kkxd8o

7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

CNN: This women’s sport has fought for more than 50 years to be in the Olympics. Could Brisbane 2032 change its fortunes?

Ironically the biggest obstacle is gender equality - unless it is made a 'demonstration' sport.

(My youngest sister is a big netball fan. She loves the game and while she was a stay-at-home mum, would work as a netball umpire.)

Er, isn't that a tame form of Basketball, but without the Harlem Globetrotters?

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Bear here.....

A reasonable zeddin' session, albeit screwed slightly by that bluddy WWF; I get particularly p1ssed when the little b1tch puts in an appearance about an hour before the ding bell is due to sound cos' I know there's sweet f.a. chance of gettin' back to zeddyland.

Today?  Bertie the Bosch is due for a drive, plus a bit of shirt smoothin' to do;  there's a fair chance that a bit of Deltic jugglin' may be in order as well.  Other than that it's MIUABGAD, which will hopefully include some brass wranglin'  (though I'll not be putting any money on that, based on previous performance.....).

It seems it's gonna be "a warm one" today, though certain Foreign Correspondents may query the validity of that statement.....

ION......

Bear had an RMWeb Pee Emm yesterday - it started with:

"Greetings Oh Most Excellent Bear!"

Good to see they are coming to their senses at last 🤣  I might even get that message framed and dangle it on the wall for all to see.......😁

Right, wriggly ar5e time approaches....

BG

Edited by polybear
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I don't have a rat...

Baz

Two answers..

1, No but there'll be some about a foot long very close to you...

2, Everyone has a rat, normally 5 to 6 ft long, they're called members of parliament.

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

My Aurora alarm went off twice during the night. At 01.00 and 04.12. On the latter occasion the interference level was high enough to make a peek out of the windows worthwhile. 

No Perseids. No Aurora. Just fog, fog and more fog. 

I re-christen this region the Shire of Dismal Fogs. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Ey up!

I watched a bit of the closing ceremony.. very pretty but so teddddddiiiiiiioooous so I went to bed. 

No fixed items on my to do list so a bit of brass wrangling of my own (well phosphour bronze to collect electricity from two parallel strips of nickel silver)  to be fitted.

I need to add some hand rails to items used to transfer coal from a mine to wherever it needs to get to..not high on my things I like to do.

Forget about per capita.. how many medals did Yorkshire win this time?

Have a good day if you can!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spellung
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

SWMBO was a very good netball player, captain of her school team I think. She would approve 

6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

You're all used to that by now. There's even a Wikipedia page for it.

If the Brisbane 2032 games organizers try to do a world map, I'll put in a word for you. 😉

That's OK. In solidarity, as a Queenslander, I will formally protest the absence of Queensland on the representation of your West Island, and Tasmania, and Indonesia etc:

image.png.72f403681cb33da725b54d8317e35317.png

image.png.97a616270e796fb06a4301ddb9727223.png

A bit like poor Orkney and Shetland, which are often missed off the UK maps or the distances are shortened considerably. Mind you I don't think they like Scotland very much.  There was at one time talk that if Scotland got independence, then Orkney and Shetland wanted to stay in the UK.  With the way sea boundaries are calculated that would have made  rather a big hole in the oil revenues of Scotland. 

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a warm Charente though it is expected to only get to 29 today rather than 39 of yesterday.much to do as the girls are setting off today, they are due to arrive on Wednesday. 

Ttfn. 

Jamie

• Like 16

1 hour ago, polybear said:

How about start worrying sorry, worry even more about your Field Ornament Buddies - it looks like your worst nightmare has just got a whole lot worse:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cwy4j4kkxd8o

I am sorry to add to the bad news Chimpey ( @monkeysarefun), but some scientists have known for a long time that horses are sentient and cunning.

Much like the Xenomorph in Alien was sentient and cunning.

Unfortunately, apart from a few informed individuals such as yourself, no one wanted to listen to the scientists’ words of warning.

Nope, people were deluded into a false sense of security, because horses are “graceful“. Much like a hand grenade traces “a graceful arc” when lobbed against the enemy….

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

55 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear had an RMWeb Pee Emm yesterday - it started with:

"Greetings Oh Most Excellent Bear!"

Good to see they are coming to their senses at last 🤣  I might even get that message framed and dangle it on the wall for all to see.......😁

It would seem that The Bear is in need of attending the CCI GmbH course on “How to recognise irony, hyperbole, sarcasm, anaphora, antiphrasis and other rhetorical devices

Captain Cynical

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6