The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

That can mean, for example, that the difference between gold and silver is determined by the length of your fingers (who touches first in the pool) or the girth of your chest (whose crosses the electronic line first on the track) as much as it does on athletic ability.

I understand that it theoretically possible for a more ample woman to beat a less well-endowed one by such means in a very close finish. 

In former times such close calls might well have been given as a dead-heat and two of the same (the higher option) grade medals duly awarded.  That would have changed the medal tables when ranked by “most gold” though not by “total medals” .

As I pointed out in the womens climbing. One competitor was very petite, about four foot tall and another was six foot tall and muscular. The smaller girl had difficulty in reaching some of the foot and handholds whereas the bigger girl had no difficulty in reaching them. If boxers can be classified by weight why can't climbers be classified in a similar way (by height?).

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Hroth said:

4am?

What an ungodly hour!

I'm only here because I had an odd and disturbing dream about a curious restaurant.  Think I'll read a book until I doze off again....  🙂

Were you invited to meet the meat?  

4am is an hour known to me for getting home after a night out, occasionally waking for an early shift or occasionally for being summoned to the bathroom by Captain Slackbladder 

I dream vividly most nights. But unless I am in imminent apparent danger or am dreaming of a situation from which there is no apparent escape I don’t wake up. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

As I pointed out in the womens climbing. One competitor was very petite, about four foot tall and another was six foot tall and muscular. The smaller girl had difficulty in reaching some of the foot and handholds whereas the bigger girl had no difficulty in reaching them. If boxers can be classified by weight why can't climbers be classified in a similar way (by height?).

Yet they're both good enough to be in the Olympics - and would subdividing the entrants that way mean that you unrealistically change the competitions. Real mountains don't move to accommodate the stature of the climber.

Edited by Coombe Barton
autocorrect!
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Coombe Barton said:

Yet there both good enough to be in the Olympics - and would subdividing the entrants that way mean that you unrealistically change the competitions. Real mountains don't move to accommodate the stature of the climber.

And where is the line then drawn?

Contact sports are split by weight category. Would track sports be subdivided by bra size to avoid giving the amply-blessed an advantage? 

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

£2/month and no C.S. cos' "he doesn't speak English".  Well he certainly knows "**** you"......

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/24462257.mustafa-al-mbaidin-sentenced-assaulting-police-office/

edit:  Let's see now....

D&D

Sexual Assault?

Assaulting a Police Officer

Section 5 of the Public Order Act (i.e. naughty words in Public)

In Bear's Book that's grounds for instant deportation.

ION.....

Buddy over the road helped out with his iPad; he needed the auto SIM Card renewal cancelled, his CC details removed from the website (so they won't be able to charge him again) and the account closed.  Tick.

Then it was deleting a load of saved passwords from his iPad for various sites (I always think having multiple saved passwords on one device is asking for trouble in the event of theft) and changing those p/w's on all relevant sites as well.  Another Tick.

Then sorting his Apps as well.  That's a Hat trick.

Downsides?  Bye Bye a.m.  Oh well

Din Dins cooked & scoffed (a mere 380 Cals.  - eeek); I reckon a multiple hilly wander might well be in order sometime this arvo as well.

Brass wranglin'?  Not looking good.....

BG

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, polybear said:

auto SIM Card renewal cancelled,

I bet “Three” regret the offer I got for the SIM card for my iPad. Every renewal offer is much much less nice at the one I got some years ago. So in my case do nothing and get lots of data for not a lot.(well not a lot plus retail price index increases

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

not a lot plus retail price index increases

Don't they load the RPI increase with a top up of a fixed percentage for them?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, TheQ said:

Had a wander round recipes for stovies..

Most have way more meat than I remember stovies, and some are just weird..

Beetroot? Celery?

Stovies as I remember them had thin sliced spuds, not cubed.

Yes, I remember it as a way of cooking tatties, a few ships cooks did them (no prizes for guessing from which country they came) and they approached it as a way of making tatties. Now I see recipes with all sorts of stuff added, verging on being stews or hash or something.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I was about to say that if anyone had suggested adding celery or meat to stovies to my grandmother she'd have threatened to shove it somewhere unpleasant, but as she was a very upright member of a brethren church that's probably unlikely.

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. According to the thingummy at the bottom of the screen it's now 25C. and it feels like it . Muggy as well and the pollen count is also up so I'm going upstairs for an eyelid inspection.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

D'afternoon all.  

Breezy.  Sunny.  Rather warm.  Very humid again now.  Had a chat with the chap we bought the cottage from this time last year.  He's always around.  It's a small town anyway so a lot of us know a lot of us.  His FiL lives next door - our 97-year old neighbour - meaning there is regular interaction.  

I mentioned the noticeable amount of condensation on the walls in a couple of spots.  He agreed there had been some in the past.  No obvious cause other than high atmospheric humidity coupled with the  normal requirements of life namely respiration, laundry and tea-making which all contribute moisture.  He used a free-standing dehumidifier.  We use the small recyclable ones.  I am now minded to get a big one.  All the collected moisture can then also be recycled onto the garden rather than drained off from the residual dry product in the plastic pot.  

The cottage itself does not suffer from any significant amount of dampness.  It is nearly all internally-generated moisture not penetrating or rising damp. There is one tiny spot of damp which was identified on the paperwork associated with the purchase - and I mean tiny as it's only a couple of square inches.  

In other news 97 year-old announced today that he has placed his home on the market as he feels he has reached the point of no return and can no longer manage it adequately on his own.  Despite having regular help he is as independent as they come and very active for his age.  If anyone is looking for an investment down here I can put them in touch with the agent.  It's an unmodernised cottage with just its two-up-two-down original small rooms.  No idea what he's asking but it would be in the region of £275-300k.  

We would like nice new neighbours please and while we expect and understand the need to modernise the property we don't really want the place torn down to the front wall and months of noisy, dirty disruption.  But what ever.  That bridge will be crossed in due course.  It's a conservation area so changes would be limited by the overlay.  

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Just back from a relaxing week in Altea on the Costa Blanca- temperature a balmy low 30’s with a sea breeze. Good food, holiday wine!

Altea old town (Catalan Poble Antigo) is perched on a hill and crowned by a picturesque church - all the decoration seem strange to someone brought up very low church- but nevertheless effective. The view s include Benidorm but that looks a complete hole full of English folk!

a couple of photos below - in best DaveF fashion, one might contain a railway..,

IMG_1353.jpeg

IMG_1351.jpeg

IMG_1347.jpeg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

On dreaming - when I'm doing things on my computer which take weeks (currently, setting up my new personal website for comparing fonts for Linux systems) I often have dreams related to that. Today, I woke up convinced that although I've uploaded almost everything, there are a number of things where I didn't finish preparing them. After a while I realised that was false. <sigh/>

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

He used a free-standing dehumidifier.  We use the small recyclable ones.  I am now minded to get a big one.  All the collected moisture can then also be recycled onto the garden rather than drained off from the residual dry product in the plastic pot.   

Bear has a big one 😁

Made by Ecoair; I use it in the Conservatory so when I hang washing in there to dry it totally stops the windows from misting up - washing will dry overnight, no problem.  The amount of moisture it extracts out of the air is pretty impressive; the water can be used for things like steam irons and floor steamers too.  They're not expensive either, and I don't think they use much leccy; they also have a slight warming effect as well (nottalot) which is handy in winter.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

He used a free-standing dehumidifier.  We use the small recyclable ones.  I am now minded to get a big one.  All the collected moisture can then also be recycled onto the garden rather than drained off from the residual dry product in the plastic pot.  

It can get very humid on my bit of coast, I think perhaps a dehumidifier could perhaps be useful at times even though I live in a small 1980s house.  I think I should investigate further as now and then I get condensation in the house.

David

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

As planned I went to church and did the various things I usually do, no one said anything so I must have done them correctly.  I stayed for a quick cup of coffee before coming home and finishing an letter which I emailed

Lunch was Hunter's chicken just with roast potatoes and veg but I decided it would be nice for once with a couple of small Yorkshire puddings - and it was.  I didn't need a dessert though.  I may try it again.

This afternoon I tried sitting outside as it was pleasant with a nice sea breeze and the temperature at about 19°C.  However after a while I gave up as several neighbours had quite noisy visitors and as the wind was in the east planes taking off from Newcastle were flying by a few miles away making quite a lot of noise as they climbed out to sea.  So I did some trimming and weeding and then sat inside with a magazine about things with metal wheels which run on metal strips.

During the afternoon the back of my hand itched, on investigation I found a piece or rose thorn just under a small scab, it was a scratch from a couple of days ago.  It has been dug out and disinfected.

In other words a nice peaceful day, I try not to do noisy things on Sundays.  Later on I may tidy up some bookshelves with novels on to arrange the books by author rather than randomly.

David

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

image.png.fb9d013553d0b78deca6da65ad6306e2.png

image.png.b46ff3592ee8654edcbaa4ae8fb8c0b8.png

image.png.710df54ef13128a6970d568a9cb317cb.png

image.png.5d444466c5c38befc26d4c01d0ce72ee.png

Johnny," says the teacher, "what's the first thing your father does in the morning?"

"He takes a sh1t, sir," says Johnny.

"Oh," says the teacher, "and what does your father do for a living?"

"He's a bricklayer," says Johnny.

The teacher thinks, hmm, working class, what else can you expect?

"Bobby," says the teacher, "what's the first thing your father does in the morning?"

"He takes a sh1t, sir," says Bobby.

"Hmm," says the teacher, "and what does your father do for a living?"

"He's a joiner," says Johnny.

The teacher sees this as confirming his suspicions about the lack of linguistic skills among working class children.

"Freddy," he says. "What does your father do for a living?"

"He's a lawyer, sir" says Freddy.

"And what's the first thing your father does in the morning?"

"He reads The Times, sir," says Freddy.

"Interesting," says the teacher, "and how much time does he spend reading the paper?"

"Not long," says Freddy, "just until he's finished taking a sh1t."

Edited by polybear
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Just had some T0sser ask a question about Harry....

After a great deal of aggro (my Ebay doesn't seem to like replying to messages at the moment for some reason) he replies with:

"It’s a fare bit more than I want to spend. But Thankyou for the information."

F. Nob.

Can't spell either.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

A post-din dins triple hilly wander completed.  Tick.  Still no brass wranglin' though.  Oops.

ION.....

I see Team USA are genuinely No. 1 in the Gong Table now - with both most Golds (equal to China) but most importantly the most overall Gongs (by a long way) as well.  I guess having a lot of people to choose from plus a big cheque book helps as well.  A good show on their part.

BG

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Knackered I is.

Down river race,

Started at the water works, therefore missing out a lot of the river, bordered by trees. This was due to very light winds. Thought I'd made a bad start, but I'd chosen the right place on the corner, so popped out into 3rd place. Once round the corner, others started catching up, and by half a mile BM was last in the fleet. However they were not getting away kept Within a couple of hundred yards for several miles, until....

One of the steering knots let go, had to stuff BM into the reeds. Quickly redid the knot, BM came out of the reeds quite quickly, though facing the wrong way. A quick circle, and off we went again. Lost lots of distance, but could still see the back markets.

By this time the tide had changed, it felt like BM was sailing through porridge often the tack across meant a drift back up river. Was very glad to reach the bottom mark, and turn with the tide to the finish. Could see the second to last boat ahead so BM wasn't last on handicap.

During lunch the sea breeze came in, reinforcing the previously light breeze

Up river race,

Started mid fleet, but it was a long broad reach/ run to the mark against the incoming tide. BM was last again.

On rounding the mark it was with the tide, and once past Thurne mouth, it was reaching and running for all but a few bends in the river. Only just could see the next to last boat, so BM was probably last overall.

• Friendly/supportive 16

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I cannot begin to contain my indifference!.

How very French of you. Will you be simultaneously indifferently smoking un Gauloises, over a glass of vin ordinaire?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Funny 14

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

If boxers can be classified by weight why can't climbers be classified in a similar way (by height?).

They could be indeed be classified by height.

By that logic so should long jumpers, hurdlers, high-jumpers, etc.  You'd have (almost) twice as many medals. In the end you would have games for tall people and games for short people.

By the way, I'd rather see no boxing at all so the whole weight category argument would at that point be moot.

Reminds me of a Goodies episode parodying South Africa where citizens were divided in a system called "Apart height".

So, yeah, let's bring "Apart Height" to the Olympics - "Faster, Higher, Stronger – Talls Together" and the other Olympics: Faster, Higher, Stronger – Shorts Together".

Or perhaps we just offer short people the new Olympic sport of limbo dancing. How low can you go?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

Hunter's chicken

Dave, I am not familiar with the preparation. I find the name intriguing. Is this traditionally food for hunters before the hunt - or the result of their activities (which would not impress).

Even Wikipedia is unenlightening on the origin of poulet à la chasseur.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 3