The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

10 hours ago, Tony_S said:

For my car there are loads of really good videos about how to do things. I wanted to investigate something on Aditi’s Fiesta recently and every single video was effectively an advert for a programmer/reader device. 

I've been annoyed by many a "how to" car video before.

When googling " How do I take the door handle off?",  A one line reply such as    "Theres a screw under the handle if you lift it up"  never appears in my google search -  instead theres links to 15 minute long youtube videos that amongst all the self promotion, dramatic title sequences,  a rundown of the problem (" heres the door handle. As you can see there is no apparent way of getting it off, theres nothing here, lets check inside - no nothing there... so you are probably wondering how to get it off....")  and so on and so on, the actual 5 second explanation appears at the 9th minute mark)

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

New he

10 minutes ago, polybear said:

New headlines but it's been known about for some years, I am however, luckily to old for it . I'll stick stick to being on the trial of Oral Semaglutide, similar to the wegovy mentioned but without having needles stuck in me.

• Friendly/supportive 11

8 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Why read the book when you can live it🫣😗

Cool!

I can bring out my batwing shirts and puffy pirate pants again!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 12

13 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Craftsmanship may not be 'kool' with today's 'yoof' (though I think quite a few of the youth do still admire it)

The trick is to not call them nerdy "models",  but instead refer to them as trendy "art pieces" - that renders them much cooler and socially acceptable.

A case in point is young Sydney artist (not "modeller!")  Mylyn Nguyen, who builds N scale sized  buildings of Sydney prototypes from paper and card. However, they aren't "models",  they are "Miniature Sculptures"

Because she is an artist, not a modeller, she's had gallery shows in trendy inner city and regional  art galleries with wine and cheese rather than a stand at  model railway exhibitions in drafty suburban  scout halls  with lukewarm tea and an arrowroot biscuit.

She's also appeared on the ABC and been featured in the Qantas in-flight magazine, unlike most nerdy modellers!

ALthough a rivet counting modeller  might  point out that certain of her items like bricks and corrugated iron are rather oversize, they still look right. Her work is brilliant, I'd like to have them -  or her skills!

https://www.mylynnguyen.com/

Apart from the glazing, everything is paper or card, even things  like downpipes and TV antennas that most nerdy modellers would make out of wire or plastic rod. 

Thats commitment to your art and makes you a socially acceptable Artist, rather than a nerdy modeller.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The weather was kind to me again and I’ve had another productive day in the garden. I began by planting 5 new fuchsia plants underneath the front room window, there is now not much soil visible, which is what, I was looking for. I then tackled the weeding, which didn’t take too long, I do try to keep on top of this by doing the weeding every 5 - 6 weeks, doing so means the task is so overwhelming. 

The afternoon was spent in the workshop, tweaking the traverser plate, as I wasn’t happy with the method I’d used to transfer power to the rails. Im much happier with this latest version, as it’s more reliable and operates better too. I’ll try to get it finished tomorrow. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Gwiwer, I take it the bathers were not of interest as there's no photo😏 

Correct.  I know what undressed teenagers look like.  It's been very many years since that sort of thing might have interested me.  There's no need to spread such information here 😂

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 5

• RMweb Premium

When I worked for BAS they invited an enthusiast to display a large scale model of RRS James Clark Ross onboard at a floating exhibition. The model was a brilliant piece of work, equivalent to a very well done builders model, for all I know the guy may have done builders models as these days most yards contract outside model makers. He'd asked BAS for drawings and permission to go onboard to take pictures and BAS gave him all he wanted (I suspect it'd be different today) and so he shared pictures of the model when it was finished which was extremely impressive. I spoke to him about the model and he was a thoroughly nice fellow and clearly very passionate about ships and models.

What struck me was the reaction of some who looked at it to find inaccuracies so they could sneer at it. They managed to find one inaccuracy, one, a rain gutter on a window was wrong, which allowed them to feel good about themselves. The guy built the model as an enthusiast because he liked the ship, for his own satisfaction and looking at the model I would say he was in the top tier of ship modellers and some just wanted to find a reason to criticise so they could feel good about themselves. I found that rather sad and really quite an unpleasant attitude.

I see similar attitudes in our hobby. I am not trying to rationalise errors and sub-standard models but I do feel some approach things determined to find something to criticise and then go completely over the top shouting about it. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 11

The Sydney Maritime Museum has a "Ship Modeller In Residence" desk in the foyer area where a roster of old retired blokes who are ship modellers beaver away at whatever model they are working on.

They are always up for a chat with the public who stop and see what they are up to, though age has rendered some of them a bit deaf so they don't always answer the same question as the one that got asked.

Despite that though, it's a good  initiative in that it gets the public a glimpse of the skills involved in building a model.

Is it replicated elsewhere?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

Big yay to 14 year old Arisa Trew, who in her third and final run in  the skateboarding leapfrogged from 3rd to claim gold and became our youngest ever Olympic medallist.

In good news for @polybear, the UK entrant got bronze, which is Just As Good.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

I printed a few of the following.  With the blanks filled in, I hang them on empty hooks or nails around the house.

Some of my stuff is on loan to some very impressive museums!

Item No. ____________

o   This exhibit has been temporarily removed for:

o   Restoration

o   Sale

o   Determination of provenance

o   Loan to _____________________________________________________

Date:

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, polybear said:

Don't worry Puppers, if I get it you'll know about it......🤣

@PupCam  But full marks to Puppers for letting a Bear know who to blame.....🤣

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Big yay to 14 year old Arisa Trew, who in her third and final run in  the skateboarding leapfrogged from 3rd to claim gold and became our youngest ever Olympic medallist.

In good news for @polybear, the UK entrant got bronze, which is Just As Good.

Agreed - and serious respect to Sky Brown; she dislocated a shoulder last week (it now needs surgery) and suffered a Medial Collateral Ligament Injury (MCL) in April.  Still only 16 but already has two Bronze Medals in two Olympics, as well as being the reigning World Champion; she came very close to qualifying for the British Surfing Team as well (she finished 17th in the World in the Junior Surfing Championships). 

I find watching the skateboarding, BMX Freestyle etc. far more interesting that running n' stuff like that as the skill involved is just nutz.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Vickers owned lots of ship models built as part of apprenticeships in the Vickers shipyards. The insurers asked for a stock check.. most were found but a very large model of the battleship King George V could not be found. A quote to build a replacement was eye watering.. so it was never replaced.. 

There were a number of Armoured fighting vehicle models as 1. When it was closing down most found new "homes".. but the silver Khalifa was never located.. I wonder why?

Decent night's sleep but still very tired from yesterday.. Time for my decaff!

Stay safe!

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 16

4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The Sydney Maritime Museum has a "Ship Modeller In Residence" desk in the foyer area where a roster of old retired blokes who are ship modellers beaver away at whatever model they are working on.

They are always up for a chat with the public who stop and see what they are up to, though age has rendered some of them a bit deaf so they don't always answer the same question as the one that got asked.

Despite that though, it's a good  initiative in that it gets the public a glimpse of the skills involved in building a model.

Is it replicated elsewhere?

Certainly not in London’s Maritime Museum. Because

• it’s not “relevant”
  • it involves (mostly?) old white men, ergo
  • it’s patriarchal and sexist
  • they aren’t a suitable souvenir material (who’s gonna buy a sweat-shop made t-shirt featuring an old white bloke making a mast?)

NB. Old White Men (OWM) are the scourge of the “Right On” - for many reasons, least of all being most OWM are grumpy, cynical (through years of [to use the current “on trend” term] “lived experience”) and tend not to buy into all the trendy bollox the mediarati, and others, push.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Hardly strange by Olympic standards. The "Swedish" gold medalist in pole vaulting was born in and grew up in Louisiana. Like his parents he attended LSU (Louisiana State University). His mother is Swedish and by IOC rules that's sufficient for him to represent Sweden.

It's pretty common for people to represent a country that is not where they are from or currently live.

That kinda makes a mockery of the whole Olympic concept: a country fielding its best athletes competing against other countries fielding their best athletes…

Y’know, given that the Olympics are expanding to include ever more “niche” sports, I wonder how long it’ll be until we have Olympic Pizza Scoffing (for which team GB is guaranteed a gold - unless the US or Australia can claim PB as one of theirs on some technicality or other).

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

Flinging back the curtains, it looks sunny with a few random clouds.  The seaweed wranglers predict a comfortable 19C...

Time for brekky!

ION

After yesterdays outburst it seems that Mr Musk of the sochialmeeja platform x, formerly twitter, really has lost his marbles.  He's now going to sue companies for withdrawing their advertising from his rancid platform.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cn47798gxx4o

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from south western France. A tad cooler than yesterday but still warm.  Windows have been opened to let cool air in.  A day spent in the shed lies ahead, tidying up and working on a large thing with parallel strips of metal. Two friends are due over this afternoon to help with the work. 

Jamie

• Like 15

8 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Correct.  I know what undressed teenagers look like.  It's been very many years since that sort of thing might have interested me.  There's no need to spread such information here 😂

They have pills for that, nowadays.🤣

Biologically, males are capable of being reproductively active well into old age, with only disease or the effects of extreme old age getting in the way.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

What struck me was the reaction of some who looked at it to find inaccuracies so they could sneer at it. They managed to find one inaccuracy, one, a rain gutter on a window was wrong, which allowed them to feel good about themselves. The guy built the model as an enthusiast because he liked the ship, for his own satisfaction and looking at the model I would say he was in the top tier of ship modellers and some just wanted to find a reason to criticise so they could feel good about themselves. I found that rather sad and really quite an unpleasant attitude.

I see similar attitudes in our hobby. I am not trying to rationalise errors and sub-standard models but I do feel some approach things determined to find something to criticise and then go completely over the top shouting about it. 

That’s basically a displacement activity to mask their own (real or perceived) inadequacies. Such behaviour probably counts as a “syndrome” in The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Illnesses (DSM-5).

Terry Pratchett, ever the keen observer and satirist of modern life, observed in his novel The Truth that such people lead tiny little lives of no significance, lives controlled by others; so when it comes to hobbies they make sure they cross the Ts and dot the I s their way (I paraphrase slightly)

• Like 8
  • Agree 1