The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

The Indian food I have never understood not being more popular in Britain is vada (vadai?), basically a savoury Donut. If eaten hot and fresh while still crispy they're tremendous, I like the ones where the chilli has a delayed action but with a kick when it hits.

You would need a Mumbai style restaurant like Dishoom. We haven’t been, although we sent a gift voucher for the Brighton one for our nephew.  He enjoyed the meal,   Aditi only likes what she calls simple Indian  food, basically the vegetarian food, not too spicy, as liked by her Dad.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

A quick visit on this fine sunny fresh morning before I make a trip to the shops for three things I have run out of followed by a look in the charity shops.  Then a visit to look at a ship moored opposit the Quayside.

After that I'll come home and either look at more old photos or go in the garden.  I have 3 hours of half price electricity today so I'll put some washing on at 11.00 when it starts.

Apart from that nothing much is planned.  I may tweak the settings on the new TV upstairs and perhaps some modelmaking.

All the mentions of food in this thread make me feel hungry, except for squid which I really really dislike.

David

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Most takeaways here worth their chicken salt offer a chicken and chips Hawaiian Pack, which includes a banana fritter and a pineapple fritter.

image.png.d99216b0f8015914b70c96c808cfc4f2.png

Junk the Chicken and then that'd have possibilities for a Bear.  Two of a Bear's 5-a-day, too.

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Finally, I do wish laymen, like PB, would not pontificate so freely and easily on medical matters, especially when most of them don’t even know they have a Thymus, let alone where to find it.

That's Bear in the Dog House....again.  Never mind, there's a Myford, three Mo'sickles and lots of toys to play with 😁.  Right then Puppers, what's first on the agenda?

• Like 9
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

14 minutes ago, polybear said:

ION.....

Anyone recall (or even read?) Bear's recent post on a certain Prisoner Swap?  Here's the latest:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cmj2jlgr65do

"Out of the plane and down the steps came 10 people, including spies, sleeper agents and a convicted assassin."

I did and wondered if any western government would actually reveal that anyone released was actually working undercover?

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

(albeit Not Good if taken regularly or in excessive quantities).

I thought that everything in the Deep Fried Crunchy Things category was ‘not good’, thought that was the whole point of it!

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I couldn't get to sleep last night until the early hours but then I slept through until about an hour ago, at least five hours sleep. When I looked out it was obvious why, it had rained overnight and that had freshened things up. I'm now running late and I'll be off to the Shoebury exhibition shortly so Ill be back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The weather can’t make up its mind today. So far we’ve had a bit of rain, although that seems to have been a few hours ago, but since getting up, we’ve had grey clouds, sunshine, grey clouds and now sunshine again, but the sky still has lots of grey clouds about. So, the plan for today is to head off to Vickie’s to pick up Vickie, Ava and Evie then head off for a drink and a slice, as well as a good old catch up. This will be the last chance this month, as Vickie, Ian, Ava, Evie and Max will be on holiday in Lanzarote in a couple of weeks time. 

Best get a move on. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 18

7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Not a bit of sticky rice, macaroni salad or poké in sight. Hawaiian it is not my friend.

In a similar vein, "Blooming Onions" are not a thing  here, no matter what Outback Steakhouse reckons!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I am trying to build up the enthusiasm to drive to  Shoebury to visit an exhibition mentioned by @PhilJ W . I wouldn’t normally drive in that direction on a summer Saturday but it is overcast and looks like rain so perhaps not too many day trippers. I wouldn’t be using the seafront route, Google suggests there are closed roads. Not sure if that is a summer pedestrian zone, roadworks or evidence collecting after gang related incidents earlier in the week. The exhibition is in a rather green field area, nowhere near the seafront. As it is in an independent school, I am sure the parking spaces will be big enough for the Range Rover 😶

Tony

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Poké was certainly an item on our shipboard menus recently. We hadn’t heard of it before but the description explained all. I did suggest it may have  been a Pikachu burger but Aditi just thought I was being silly. All the Hawaiian words Aditi knows are to do with lava.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

I did and wondered if any western government would actually reveal that anyone released was actually working undercover?

'Course not - we don't do skullduggerous things like that.....😉

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

......especially when most of them don’t even know they have a Thymus, let alone where to find it.

Bear has one - in the Shed, third drawer down....

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

I hear from amputees that the pain doesn't really go away in many cases, they then getting 'ghost' pain due to the damaged nerves. 

Agreed; a friend had a very silly low speed scooter accident one chrimbo day (they'd bought one for their son and were in a cul-de-sac all having a go - she misjudged a corner, fell off and squashed her foot between scooter and kerb).

Six ops later and over a number of years (the first one or two by a Surgeon who *may* have screwed up) by a Surgeon apparently rated as being in the top five or so in the UK when it comes to foot ops. she was still in serious pain and with a fubar'd hip as a consequence.  At this point she said "she'd had enough" and asked him to take the foot off; he was reluctant to do this as he said it'd "open up a whole new can of worms".  Fortunately some new product from the USA had come onto the market (joint - or plates?) and she agreed to letting him have one more go, on the proviso that if that didn't work then they'd revisit the idea of amputation.  Fortunately it made a big improvement (but she'll never be anywhere near right) so going to the next stage was never considered again.

I always cringe when I see these kids on pizza delivery L-plated scooters riding like tw*ts whilst wearing trainers.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Popped into a hobby shop in the nearby larger town. On the counter I spotted that they are stocking some of  the range of N scale cars that I've designed in Blender for a company that prints them on a 3D colour printer then markets  them.  One dollar of every $12.50 is mine!

image.png.68858c9cea65a5ff0df776691de2a283.png

Actually apart from one or two early versions where I got sent samples showing glitches to fix, I'd not seen any physical prints of them before, just photos.  I was a little  bit impressed even if I do say so myself!

They look jolly fine Chimpy!

ION

An excellent day was had yesterday with a certain Bear "up the A1" visiting Tony & Mo and playing with Little Bytham.       What a fabulous model railway that is!      The M&GN girder bridge was given another, especially thick, coat of looking at.    Exquisite design work Jamie and the implementation is excellent too - a real work of art.

An invitation was received to join a run over to Woburn this morning but I just haven't got the energy so I've given it a miss.       There's another run tomorrow but I'll miss that as well because the roofing man is coming to finish off the roof repairs.  Best warn the wallet!

That's about it and a MIUAYGA day I fancy.   This may involve a run to one or even two model shops (how extravagant!).   One may be able to provide suitable batteries for the Tiger Moth the other will be able to provide a couple of lengths of Peco Streamline.   Following yesterday's visit I seem to have a secondhand Hornby loco and a few wagons.   Looks like I'll be building a small boy's first 'proper' model railway 😀

TTFN

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Having been on the receiving end of a number of orthopaedic interventions myself (including the installation of two prostheses), I have nothing but sympathy and admiration for @New Haven Neil having endured so much.

According to my orthopod colleagues shoulders, ankles and feet are absolute b****** to fix (it has to do with articulation and the various ways joints can move and should move). Paradoxically, one of the bloodiest (as in amount of blood loss during surgery) orthopaedic operations is also one of the most straightforward with excellent recovery and that's hip replacement (NOTE: these are generalities, every patient is different)

And my physiotherapist cheerfully informed me that with some shoulder injuries certain physiotherapy procedure have to be done under anaesthesia (and then proceeded to place her entire weight on a wooden mushroom to deal with a "stubborn" muscle. She can be quite unkind).

One of the paradoxes of the human body is whilst in many regards we are incredibly tough, in other regards we are very, very fragile indeed. And no matter how skillful the physician or surgeon and no matter how advanced and sophisticated the medical intervention, once "broken" you can always see the "repair".

* for a physiotherapist (at least in CH), a "mushroom" is wooden mushroom device that allows the PT to place his/her entire weight onto one spot)

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

ION.....

Anyone recall (or even read?) Bear's recent post on a certain Prisoner Swap?  Here's the latest:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cmj2jlgr65do

"Out of the plane and down the steps came 10 people, including spies, sleeper agents and a convicted assassin."

I wonder if any will ' fall out of a window ' for being caught in the first place .

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I wonder if any will ' fall out of a window ' for being caught in the first place .

They'll probably go on a plane to a resort on the Black Sea for a recuperative holiday at the expense of the State as a reward for their activities.  The plane will be shot down with no survivors and Russia will blame someone or other.....

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

In a similar vein, "Blooming Onions" are not a thing  here, no matter what Outback Steakhouse reckons!

According to Biggles*, "Flaming Onions" were very popular with the Germans on the Western Front in WW1...

And were a real thing!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_onion

* Or perhaps his author "Capt" WE Johns...

Edited by Hroth
Extra!
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

They'll probably go on a plane to a resort on the Black Sea for a recuperative holiday at the expense of the State as a reward for their activities.  The plane will be shot down with no survivors and Russia will blame someone or other.....

Meanwhile hit teams have already been set up for those released to the west...

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Grey but warm not quite at distant signal (west) It has been raining lightly, but that is not going to deter me from going out. Going out where is another matter - oh decisions!!!

Grey. Moist overnight but now clear and quite warm. 

I am commanded to transport Dr SWMBO to the not-really geothermal pool in an hour’s time. She has a love-hate relationship with it. The “human soup” versus the preference for warmer-than-the-sea water. 

If I enter the water at all it will be off Battery Rocks. The tide will be near-high and rising. 

And then probably a fission-chips supper along the road at Newlyn or, if we so choose, back here possibly down the road at the Carn. 

I have just been witness to an interesting piece of driving. Car approached the junction along the single available lane (the other is for resident’s parking) and met a local taxi wishing to go the other way. What I strongly suspect was a visitor driving a hired car could easily have come forward a few feet and passed the taxi. 

Instead he decided it would be better to reverse the 100 yards or so past all the parked cars …..  I first became aware something wasn’t quite right when his engine was revving higher and higher whilst no progress was being made. Smoke then started emerging from the clutch plates which only made the driver try harder to get his steed to reverse. 

Having twigged that something clearly wasn’t happening as it should and with the taxi driver waving him forwards into the plenty-of-space-to-pass spot ahead he must have then thrust the gears into for’ard and with a bounce worthy of a kangaroo the car stalled. 

He tried again to reverse. And then again to go forward. 

And then he remembered. He had to release the handbrake!!!  

That’s one car I shall not be hiring in the future. Unfamiliar place, unfamiliar vehicle, possibly driving on the unfamiliar side of the road. And flustered. All excusable. But quite the performance. 

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium

Falling out of a window seems to be replacing 'helicopter crashes' and 'late night car accidents'. At the risk of sounding like Jeremy Clarkson, I suppose it saves money on the machinery and stops having to smash up a nice car. 

On the subject of doctors and laymen's opinions, I can understand why Flavio (and others) get exasperated by 'Google experts'. The trouble is the flip side is patients - the ones which survive - getting cheesed off* with various failings in health systems. But we've discussed that before, including how much of it is down to NHS issues rather than individual evil/incompetence/laziness. 

* More honest/untactful terms are very much available... 

In this delightful world we live in, there will always be victims. Whether people who fall through a social security net or are let down by the system - or people who are deliberately sacrificed for the greater good. That's never going to be popular but if - and that's a massive if - the state generally tries to 'do the right thing' for its citizens - then it's easier to accept. Given the way I've been treated by the British state, I feel no sense of loyalty to it - it has betrayed me without cause or reason. But if it generally helped me and supported me - as I know some states/governments do for their people - then should the worst happen, I would give the ultimate sacrifice willingly. I'd prefer not to but if that's the way the cards fall, well, it's part of the 'pact' between state and citizen. And that really strengthens a states' capabilities. But there's too many states - whether Russia or in the West - which - one way or another and with varying degrees of sophistication and socio-political maskirovka - just view their people as expendable pawns for the political elites. Other opinions are available but for me ? Barstewards... 

Rant over... I'll try and be more positive later. 

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Falling out of a window seems to be replacing 'helicopter crashes' and 'late night car accidents'. At the risk of sounding like Jeremy Clarkson, I suppose it saves money on the machinery and stops having to smash up a nice car. 

Maybe Poo Tin's "going green"?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9