The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

It reminds me of the opening to It's a Knockout.

The greater part of the fun there was listening to Eddie Waring frothing and foaming in his enthusiastic "regional accent" and wondering whether an excess of excitement might cause him to burst.  

• Like 9
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Why would you need a Parental Guidance Lock for the Olympics Opening Ceremony????

I looked in for just a few seconds and thought some of the side shows … err … strange.  Perhaps it’s just me and an Old Wrinkly lock is needed.

I didn’t stay long anyway.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

38 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Danger of topping oneself in boredom?

Not a francophile, eh?

Whatever you may think of the ceremony’s organisers obsession with yoof kultchure and (for want of a better word) the demi-monde (don’t forget the French gave us both Coco Chanel and Jean Paul Gaultier), it’s unquestionably and unapologetically FRENCH!

TBH it’s a bit too obsessed with yoof and (ahem) “alternative lifestyles” for my taste. But it’ll certainly have people talking about the ceremony for the next few days….

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

10 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

But it’ll certainly have people talking about the ceremony for the next few days….

But, as for here on ERs - let us not speak of it again 😜.

• Like 5
  • Funny 9

16 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I have since re-watched the major part of London's opening ceremony a couple of times and felt moved by its inclusivity and integrity, portrayals of history and its British-ness.  

Like all Olympic Opening Ceremonies, London 2012 was a mixture of tacky, overly sentimental and occasionally inspired and brilliant.

The 2012 opening ceremony “love fest with the NHS” hasn’t exactly worn well (and at the time some of my NHS chums said that it was a lot of sentimental twaddle).

Bond and The Queen was, however, brilliant.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, iL Dottore said:

Bond and The Queen was, however, brilliant.

As was The Queen, Paddington and the musicians at the start of her jubilee concert.

• Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have just endured (and I use that word deliberately) the “Olympic Hymn”.

Am I the only one thinking that it sounds like the National Anthem of a minor “People’s Democratic” country (i.e. totalitarian dictatorship) that has been written by a committee of press-ganged apparatchiks of no discernible talent?

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I have just endured (and I use that word deliberately) the “Olympic Hymn”.

Am I the only one thinking that it sounds like the National Anthem of a minor “People’s Democratic” country (i.e. totalitarian dictatorship) that has been written by a committee of press-ganged apparatchiks of no discernible talent?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spyridon_Samaras

• Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold

Evening

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Shocking:

Among the failings identified were:

• Inspectors lacking the necessary experience – including some being asked to inspect hospitals without ever having been into one before.
  • Care home inspectors who had never met a person with dementia

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjk3p4jnnl6o

But in my limited experience entirely accurate

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

I'm listening to the Proms

Sounds like a far more sensible plan.   But to be fair,  I've still not got round the 2012 version yet.   Well, I've been busy washing my hair.

ION

A tiring but successful (if that's the correct word to describe a hospital consultation and associated medical activities) day up the smoke.

I need my bed now, night all.

• Friendly/supportive 17

9 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Thank you.

I didn’t realise how empty my life was without that particular nugget of information.

That’s you set up for your next pub quiz!

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

It’s been a nice day today, although the sun couldn’t make up its mind about shining, or staying behind clouds, it eventually stayed out late afternoon/early evening. It was necessary to wear sunglasses on m6 walk to the butchers, but I didn’t need them when I went to the Trafford Centre! Whilst there I did visit WHS and I came away with not one, but three magazines! So after dinner, I sat and read through them instead of surfing t’internet. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Anyone watched the Olympics Opening "parade" and so forth?

Watched a bit of it then gave up.

I thought the London one was bad enough...

Channel 9 put it on here at 3 in the morning, obviously figured no one would be interested.

• Like 4
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

I did visit WHS and I came away with not one, but three magazines! So after dinner, I sat and read through them instead of surfing t’internet. 

It’s all fine and convenient having all of these electronic magazines at you fingertips for a fraction of the price but there’s nothing quite like sitting down in your armchair with the real thing, a cup of coffee and a biscuit or two. 

The feel…

The smell … 

The joy…

Nurse, nurse …

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 3

4 hours ago, BoD said:

Evening all.

May I ask a question.  Is anybody else having problems with emails at the moment?  Specifically many emails are coming through without any images. Where the images should be there is, for me, just a little placeholder symbol similar to that which I see when there are missing pictures in RMweb.  I don’t think I have accidentally selected an option to do this as some are still coming through with images as intended.  

No problems here BUT I have discovered that there is a  certain key, or combination of key presses that suddenly slows your scroll wheel down so that you have to rotate it about 500 times to scroll down one line in a `webpage. I can't tell you what it is because it got activated just then by Gary The Parrot wandering across my keyboard.

Luckily it is fixed by closing that webpage Because the aMOUNT OF TIME IVE SPENT ON GOOGLE TRYING TO FIND HOW TO UNDO SOMETHING HE'S DONE 

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Ah before I zoom off to bed, I've just come across these photographs to continue, momentarily, the Chimpy 3D Printing Fest ....... 

A friend's 1/4 scale 3D printed Merlin modelled and printed by one of his mates.   I'd call it exquisite!

453094278_9041872705830044_100981605581991970_n.jpg.5f66a41ead0ea2940d6fedfb6eb0604d.jpg

448020019_8800939389923378_70820188490477618_n.jpg.8d61c61536791b68fdebbb126e0fee41.jpg

448156341_8800939579923359_2271367624997599306_n.jpg.f928d090add7e648989f07a68b7f7629.jpg

448159547_8800939763256674_5918910662199651684_n.jpg.bacb34339e638f9cc953581489c55d8f.jpg

448209618_8800939026590081_1624311857109577400_n.jpg

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 17

.........Then he managed to hit the caps lock key and submit that last post before I'd finished it by walking on  some other  mystery key near the top left of the keyboard.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

No problems here BUT I have discovered that there is a  certain key, or combination of key presses that suddenly slows your scroll wheel down so that you have to rotate it about 500 times to scroll down one line in a `webpage. I can't tell you what it is because it got activated just then by Gary The Parrot wandering across my keyboard.

Luckily it is fixed by closing that webpage Because the aMOUNT OF TIME IVE SPENT ON GOOGLE TRYING TO FIND HOW TO UNDO SOMETHING HE'S DONE 

Gary is probably trying to tell you something...

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. A bit late signing off tonight due to an unscheduled eyelid inspection. Problem was it was in the armchair and I've now got a stiff neck.

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Gary is probably trying to tell you something...

Either you need to go to bed or he needs feeding/cage/entertaining.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4