The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Mickey took me down to the big (very big) Car Spares Warehouse - a place I normally like to have a wander round when I'm there just to see what they've got.  Only when I went in there today (for the first time in, well, yonks) I discovered that all the stuff you used to be able to wander round and look at/maybe buy  is now behind the counter; apparently it was done at the start of Covid and has been left that way cos' it stops the thievin' little scrotes.  Not much good for window-shopping though.  Poo.

Anyway, Bear managed to get some new fuel tubing (the old bit was dated 1992....) - though I had to buy a metre for a tenner rather than off-the-roll, which is how they used to sell it.  TC's.

However....Bear used his Amex Card - and it went thru' their system without the usual "we don't take Amex" when the card machine throws a wobbly.  They realised too late, pondered a bit then sent Bear on his way; as to whether or not it'll actually appear on a Beary C.C. Bill remains to be seen....not my fault, Guv....

Then the joys of Tess n' Co for 5L of E5 (HOW F. MUCH??) before heading back to Bear Towers to commence Round 2 with Harry....

The result?  After fitting the new tubing, replacing the tank & refilling then checking all four carbie float bowls were filling with fuel Harry started almost immediately and runs smoothly once more 😀  Huge, Huge Tick awarded.  Now I'll make sure Harry is started at least weekly just to keep him happy.

ION.....

Shocking:

Among the failings identified were:

• Inspectors lacking the necessary experience – including some being asked to inspect hospitals without ever having been into one before.
  • Care home inspectors who had never met a person with dementia

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjk3p4jnnl6o

BG

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Ah yes, but none of those people were Team Bear & Grizz....

Indeed, far better bears have tried and failed.

As Charles de Gaulle said: “the graveyards are full of ‘indispensable’ bears”.

Now behave yourself or CCI GmbH is going to increase the price of CAKE by at least 500% across the board

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 9

26 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Daily Wail headline .....

"Hippo Makes Bear.  Climate Change Blamed" 

😂

I didn’t even think that was anatomically or biologically possible….. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

After I wrote on here this morning I decided to pack a simple picnic, pick up my camera stuff and put everything in the car, set out and then decide exactly where to go.  I ended up going to Wallington Hall (National Trust) using my usual cross country single track road short cut.  Today it worked well, the only cyclists I encountered werre on the slightly wider bits.  The council have been resurfacing a surprising number of roads so driving was a lot easier then last time.  It was a surprise though to come across a large combine harvester doing a 3 point turn in the road and reversing into a field.  Then a tractor and trailer carrying its cutter bar attempted to do the same, just touched a road sign and decided to let me get by before he tried again.

Parking at Wallington was easy but the wind was cool, I needed a jacket.  I knew it would be getting busy so headed east to the walled garden which meant I did not have to go past the various childrens activity areas.  I chose a different route from usual through the wood, I met one person on the way there and three on the way back.  The shed (kiosk) which does coffee etc was open at the garden, they only take cash as there is no mobile signal or phone line.  It was very relaxing.  While I was eating my cheese scone 2 chaffinches and a robin came to see if I needed help eating it, so they duly got given some crumbs.

On the way back I had to pass the house and decided that as there was no queue to went in and had a very enjoybable walk round.  They now allow photography as long as you don't use flash.  A long time ago I got told off for taking photos, this was the first time I've been in with my camera since then.  I had a good look round and talked with some of the room stewards.

Photos are below - there may be more tomorrow.

After my picnic in the car I came a different way home through Morpeth, there wasn't much traffic so it was very easy.  For a change there was only one set of roadworks where the river bank has subsided and one side of the road isn't safe any more.  As I drove into town I called at the pharmacy for my presciption and bought 6 CDs for £1 from a market stall.

In today's post I have had several letters about my new bank account so they will be read over the weekend, then I can put money in it and try it out.

sBSC_8866Wallington.jpg.94aed0e6ec54c3565674c39dd12c00d9.jpg

Wallington The clock Tower  Both of the grey doors lead to shops, the left hand one is unstaffed, it simply asks people to take their purchases to the right hand shop to pay for them. The same with the plants on the stands.  Perhaps National Trust visitors are honest.

sBSC_8867Wallington.jpg.b69f66c1a295a15fdc96b3dd3e436900.jpg

Wallington Hall

sBSC_8875Wallington.jpg.800ac8597aee3dfabe99f00d42c64089.jpg

Owl  The remains of a tree blown down by Storm Arwen

sBSC_8884Wallington.jpg.0d901c5584533b5f509ec73bdbbbbbc5.jpg

Mallard and ducklings - probably a second brood.

sBSC_8887Wallington.jpg.c16ec5794f32a80f1a967b82921ae096.jpg

Wallington walled garden - top end.  This was  as busy as it got while I was there.

David

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Indeed, far better bears have tried and failed.

As Charles de Gaulle said: “the graveyards are full of ‘indispensable’ bears”.

Now behave yourself or CCI GmbH is going to increase the price of CAKE by at least 500% across the board

"Better Bears"??

Admit it - you've been sniffin' the Chloroform again, haven't you??

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Now I'll make sure Harry is started at least weekly just to keep him happy.

I'll say it again: Drain. The. Float. Bowls.  Then it'll be happy to stand for weeks, just give it a few minutes to fill again before you try starting him.  The new petrol is gunk.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

May I ask a question.  Is anybody else having problems with emails at the moment?  Specifically many emails are coming through without any images. Where the images should be there is, for me, just a little placeholder symbol similar to that which I see when there are missing pictures in RMweb.  I don’t think I have accidentally selected an option to do this as some are still coming through with images as intended.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, BoD said:

Evening all.

May I ask a question.  Is anybody else having problems with emails at the moment?  Specifically many emails are coming through without any images. ...

Not on Gmail or BTinternet accounts. Camborne's weekly newsletter arrived 17:46 and I can see the pics normally. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The end of the work week arrives, to little fanfare...

Yesterday, highlight - after the Mrs had her PT which was a continued success - was the meeting of just 4 of the choir imbibers at our post rehearsal watering hole. A most enjoyable evening, to be repeated soon, and hopefully several other members will be able to attend this time.

Today, Mrs off to whatever they now call the hair-dresser in "mrs" parlance, seems it's NOT in any way similar to our ear-lowering enterprise, and also has a rather more significant bill at the end of the proceedings!!

We've nothing special planned for the weekend, meaning only one thing - a to-do list will emerge as if by magic, I'm sure 😉

I briefly lived in what was probably the 2-up-2 down style abode, my parents lived with my mother-in-law and second husband for 3 years post-war whilst the council built a large development literally 300yds from her house. This set of terraced houses is "no longer" as was demolished for posh places in the mid-80s. We moved to a cul-de-sac in the middle of the new development, such luxury as the 8 houses were all three bedroom semi-detached affairs with quite spacious back gardens and relatively (after the terrace) expansive living it seemed. The picture below doesn't do justice to how they looked before being sold off and having lots of wild additions created, but we lived in the left corner at "number 2" numbering clockwise.

DovecoteClose.jpg.92c43708ee74c522844994974cf934c2.jpg

The center-right pair are the only ones with original footprint, all the others have had some extensions it seems. 

18c and sunny first thing, expecting to heat up some all weekend with highs around the 31c-33c mark and a chance of rain Sunday.

Enjoy whatever the weekend brings...

• Like 16

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Admit it - you've been sniffin' the Chloroform again, haven't you??

STOP PRESS

CAKE increases 600% over 2023 prices!

Want to try for “remortgage the house”?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to mention the pigeon on the way home.  Just before I went through Hartburn, between Scotsgap and Morpeth, I saw something coming towards me from the left side of the road.  Then there was a loud bang and a I saw a pigeon bounce off the windscreen.  I suspect the pigeon may not have survived and if it did it may have had a damaged wing and a headache.  Fortunately about 100 yards further along there is a sharp bend with a large gravelled area on the outside of the bend, used as an informal parking space - it is a B road, just wide enough for two cars - so I pulled off to check the car.

The top of the windscreen had an area of dust, the shape of a pigeon's wing which just wiped off.  There was no damage at all to any other part of the car. Looking back along the road there was no sign of a pigeon - though I did pass several dead ones on my trip, all with crows eating the remains.

The pigeon may not have been used to traffic, a car going by every 5 minutes means the road is busy. 

David

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BoD said:

Evening all.

May I ask a question.  Is anybody else having problems with emails at the moment?  Specifically many emails are coming through without any images. Where the images should be there is, for me, just a little placeholder symbol similar to that which I see when there are missing pictures in RMweb.  I don’t think I have accidentally selected an option to do this as some are still coming through with images as intended.  

Bear regularly does when Welsh Buddy sends me the "Sunday Funnies" email (which is picture-heavy) - I find that some pictures are missing (at random) but there's the "placeholder" you mention.  I discovered very recently that if I close then open the email I get more & more pictures showing.

Outlook Email, by the way....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Gold

Anyone watched the Olympics Opening "parade" and so forth?

Watched a bit of it then gave up.

I thought the London one was bad enough...

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Just watching the Olympics opening ceremony. Or maybe enduring it...

Is this the most boring ceremony ever? Granted the rubbish weather doesn't help, but boat after boat after boat... And the commentary (on the BBC)  doesn't set the place alive either.

No atmosphere, no structure, no theme...

Or am I missing something?

Anyway back to the boats... Will the US arrive on an aircraft carrier. I await with hope.

Edit- Must've been typing at same time as Hroth. Great minds and all that.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 2
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

Not on Gmail or BTinternet accounts. Camborne's weekly newsletter arrived 17:46 and I can see the pics normally. 

I have just noticed that my emails now have an additional message at the top … 

your network settings prevent content from loading privately

… with the option to load content. When I select that, the images load.  As others have said throughout history WTF.  

Some research is necessary. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Just now, Hroth said:

Anyone watched the Olympics Opening "parade" and so forth?

Watched a bit of it then gave up.

I’m watching it. Very much a mixed bag*, but oddly compelling.

Much like France itself.

* it seems a curious mix of slickly professional and gawkily amateurish. And Lady Gaga was frankly awful

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

3 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Just watching the Olympics opening ceremony. Or maybe enduring it...

Is this the most boring ceremony ever? Granted the rubbish weather doesn't help, but boat after boat after boat... And the commentary (on the BBC)  doesn't set the place alive either.

No atmosphere, no structure, no theme...

Or am I missing something?

Anyway back to the boats... Will the US arrive on an aircraft carrier. I await with hiope.

I've just got to iPlayer to find out what you mean and get tghis
Screenshot2024-07-26at20_19_01.png.ea032a8b2600b6d66703cfea089f094b.png

Why would you need a Parental Guidance Lock for the Olympics Opening Ceremony????

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Anyway back to the boats... Will the US arrive on an aircraft carrier. I await with hope.

Could be tricky, that.  Landing Craft would be do-able, however.....

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I thought the London ceremony was one of the best.  With the exception of one Mr. McCartney who even then was old, tired, missed some notes and missed his cue at least once.  However he is undeniably a British musical institution love him or otherwise.  

I have since re-watched the major part of London's opening ceremony a couple of times and felt moved by its inclusivity and integrity, portrayals of history and its British-ness.  

Paris 2024?  Meh.  Vraiment.  

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3