The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Greetings all from a Sidcup that is currently bathed in sunshine - well, between the clouds anyway!

It's been a right old week at work - the boss has been over from Switzerland so that meant a series of long and involved meetings, although it did also mean we had a team meal out which was good. Scallops followed by Galloway Ribeye followed by Eton Mess, all washed down with a nice Zinfandel.

My Grandma too was in service in the 20s and 30s before she married and had children, somewhere in Bristol I believe. She moved to London before the war during which my Grandfather was killed. After the war she worked as a cleaner to supplement the war widow's pension,. I think one of the families was very kind to her because my Dad has talked about being sent round to a house to deliver something and coming away with more than he was sent with. Post war they lived in a prefab, which I guess means that wherever they had lived before had either been damaged in the war or was just no longer affordable. Later she moved into a flat overlooking Kenton Road in Kingsbury. 

I have never lived in a 2 up 2 down although some of the student accommodation in Leeds was of that type and some was back-to-back - no back door whatsoever and literally backing onto another house of the same type. Although the house I lived in on Burley Road was bigger than 2 up 2 down, it had next to no heating and the bathroom on the back was a single brick layer. It got bitterly cold in winter, so much so that a bottle of combined shampoo/conditioner which ordinarily separated into layers - you shook it to combine it before use - once shaken did not separate out; not enough latent wotsits for it all to clear I guess. Also the hot water tank froze over, and then burst, all through my room. It's amazing how much more tempting the library became. And how even more welcoming the Fox & Newt!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

A fine suny morning with a few fluffy white clouds floating gently by.

Having got up and had breakfast I will now have to decide what to do today, there is the possibility of showers later which may influence my decision.

Apart from that a few small jobs have already been done so the magazines I've read are now no longer lying on the sofa and a few things have gone back into the kitchen cupboards.

David

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

We’ve had a small amount of rain overnight, but that has long gone and everywhere is now dry. Today is my usual Friday routine, I’ll shortly take a walk to the butchers for the weekly meat rations, as well as a pork pie for my dinner. After that, it’s a visit to the Trafford Centre for a few more bits and pieces. Whilst there, I’ll visit WHS to look at the latest magazines to see if there are any I’d like to buy. As for this afternoon, there’s nothing planned as yet, so a spot of online shopping may happen. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 17

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

One early query for @monkeysarefun - are there versions which would produce weatherproof garden ornaments/items for outside? I'm thinking for either larger unmentionable objects to leave out all year round or at least over the better weather - or for minor mouldings to help with the gardening. 

An FDM printer (ie a filament type rather than resin) would be the one to get for that kind of thing, not only do they have a much larger build area but the filament range would no doubt include something that would withstand ultraviolet light and weather. 

Resin uses Ultraviolet light to cure so I'm not sure what effect being outdoors would have on items made from  it. Its a bit too early in the resin printing  technology timeframe for anyone to have definitive answers as to how it would stand up I reckon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Good moaning from a warm and sunny Chatente.  Plans to put up flyscreens were scuppered by a lack of fixings  in the box.  It took 45 minutes to find a link to Leroy Merlin customer service.  Train spotting this afternoon.  It will be interesting to see what's running on the classic and high speed lines. 

As to 2 up 2 down, my first house was a modernised one with a small kitchen extension at the back.  I loved it. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

To quote a certain furry inhabitant on here, friggin' turdycurses, just over a £grand for the bit of exhaust with the catalytic convertor attached.............ouch(but I have done over a 100k miles so to be expected), car is still worth keeping so has to done.

I'm waiting for something like that.  The Little Red Driving Box is 59-reg so no spring chicken but at 67,000 miles is still quite light on her feet.  Casual inspection and a history of zero MoT failures suggest she is sound but anything might happen at any time.  Book value is only around £1200 (less on some sites but condition and low miles lift it a bit) so even a nudge whilst parked could write her off.  At least the insurance is a zero-excess policy.  

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 12

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear and @Grizz will be en-route** to iD's lair to explain in great detail just what's so wrong with that approach.....

**You won't know when - or at what time; it will be when you least expect it though.....

Many have tried, none have succeeded. And less you forget, Bear, Captain Cynical has my back.

The last person who decided he would "teach me a lesson" is now providing a valuable surface supporting part of the Gotthard Base tunnel!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I stopped off at Cold Storage (a local supermarket chain that does a lot of British stuff) and M&S for some goodies. I look for offers which reduce prices from Bonkers McBonkersly 'how ****** much' expensive to merely '****** expensive '. I bagged a couple of Waitrose 350gm blocks of Somerset cheddar at only S$10.30 (from S$20.60), some M&S best ever sausage rolls at S$6.90 for two (from S$14) and some M&S luxury hot cross buns at only S$3.60 (from S$7.20), who needs Aldi when we can access such bargain basement prices💪

The Curse of The Ex-Pat: when the delights of local food (equal to and often surpassing the food “back home”) pale in significance to the half-remembered delights of food “back home” - often rendered edible in the memory by one’s rose-tinted glasses (or is that taste buds?).

But at least @jjb1970 still has taste - going for M&S food (often pretty decent if you avoid the UPF). There are some poor benighted souls for whom culinary homesickness can only be assuaged by a Greggs’ Pasty or a Microwaved ‘Spoons Breakfast….

• Like 3
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Many have tried, none have succeeded. And less you forget, Bear, Captain Cynical has my back.

Ah yes, but none of those people were Team Bear & Grizz....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I'm waiting for something like that.

I see our resident @polybear has chosen to reply to this in TNM 🤷‍♂️.  Curdy Turses?  

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I'm conscious of the risk of turning ER's into "Monkeysarefun Goes 3D Printing" ... I was wondering if it'd be worthwhile posting occasional progress reports of this model if anyone is interested .....

I'm interested. I was thinking about very different buildings (and things) but the information and techniques are transferable and as said earlier, it's something lurking at the back of my mind to try so I'm trying to pick up some basic info now. Purists may invoke the awl but whether your posts are here, TNM or your own thread, I'd like to hear about it. If it's elsewhere, please tag me or mention it here. Thanks. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I was going to do a bit of shopping this afternoon but the knees do protest mightily so the shopping is off until tomorrow. Not that I haven't got plenty to do today, another comic arrived today so that will be perused instead.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, polybear said:

Yup.  Hippo made me....

Daily Wail headline .....

"Hippo Makes Bear.  Climate Change Blamed" 

😂

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14