The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I never did get round to buying a riveting tool but I know a Bear that did!   

Well as the Great Empire paid for it I reckon it would've been rude to refuse....😁

ION.....

Another Warehouse Day - and as it was someone's Birthday it also meant Donut Day**😁; the Birthday Girl had also brought it three different variants (including Lemon) of Ikky Stikky Gooey slices.  I call that a HUGE Tick (though the D-word may have slipped very slightly.  Oops).

**A Caramel Donut, no less (Bear's first - it seems that Morrisons have dropped their Donuts filled with choccy goo in favour of caramel goo instead.  Bear can report it's A Very Good Move.  Ninety Pee for Five, by the way.....).

And Finally....

I see the Solicitor representing a certain person involved in a Police incident at Manchester Airport has claimed that, following a CT Scan his client has a "Cyst on the Brain".  As to whether or not such a thing can be attributed to Tuesday's events is way above This Bear's pay grade.....

BG

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I see @polybear has been cooking again

img_1_1721927356965.jpg

DEFINITELY not This Bear - that offering is wrong on so many counts (and it sure as hell won't make it taste any better)

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I remember seeing the thing the little girl is holding, in mail order catalogues.  As I recall the tin drum was covered in brightly coloured farm animals or something similar and when it was pushed about by the handle played a tune.

It was called a Tinkle Roller.  Dad made me one (c 1950) out of an empty paint tin and some old nuts and bolts.  I remember it but not the sound; it was probably more of a Clatter Roller.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, petethemole said:

It was called a Tinkle Roller.  Dad made me one (c 1950) out of an empty paint tin and some old nuts and bolts.  I remember it but not the sound; it was probably more of a Clatter Roller.

I must admit that on reflection, "tune" might have been an exaggeration even for the commercial version! Tuned* rods or little bells to make a random noise in either direction would be more likely...

* Badly, I suspect, I had a toy piano that worked on a similar principle.  It didn't last long, I disembowelled it to see how it worked.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Same sort of style as the Puppers' first residence only slightly larger.    Ours would have been a farm labourers, 2 Up, 2 Down cottage as mines were a bit thin on the ground (perhaps that should be a bit thin underground) round these parts. 

It was 10' wide and 18' deep and is now about ~160 years old …

image.png.5f887017abda8b71d60b802a5f18005e.png

That looks very like the first house we rented when we were married. But ours was much larger than yours - it was 11 feet wide! It was also a bit older, having been built in the 1770s.

The back garden was the same 11 feet wide, but about 30 yards long. The house had been unoccupied for 3 years while it was very slowly reno-ed, and the garden had run riot. We gradually tamed it over the two and a half years we lived there. It was on the edge of the flood plain of the Trent, the garden was river soil and anything would grow in it. 

An older couple lived further along the lane, and the husband had grown up in the cottage next to ours - as one of seven kids!

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DaveF said:

I also had relatives in another part of the family who had been "in service" and I always remember what they said - they were always very positive about their jobs and the people they worked for.

My Great Aunt Winnie was 'in service' as a housekeeper to a very well off  family in Worthing, and then Angmering, near Brighton from before WW2.  As the couple (Mr & Mrs Andrews IIRC) aged, my Aunt and the driver/butler became more like companions and friends rather than staff (ageing themselves of course!), they were very well looked after indeed, and family were very welcome to visit.  The lived in Ecclesden Manor, IIRC again - I visited as a kid but memory is blurred.  Aunt Winnie was a great user of trains, and loved them - rode the Brighton Belle regularly, and loved Bullied Pacifics, and indeed was partial to a footplate ride.  Quite a remarkable lady for her time.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, pH said:

That looks very like the first house we rented when we were married. But ours was much larger than yours - it was 11 feet wide! It was also a bit older, having been built in the 1770s.

The back garden was the same 11 feet wide, but about 30 yards long. The house had been unoccupied for 3 years while it was very slowly reno-ed, and the garden had run riot. We gradually tamed it over the two and a half years we lived there. It was on the edge of the flood plain of the Trent, the garden was river soil and anything would grow in it. 

An older couple lived further along the lane, and the husband had grown up in the cottage next to ours - as one of seven kids!

We had a small garden but it was at the end of someone else's garden.  It still had the remains of the privy which I turned into a coal bunker 😀

Seven children, 2 adults (presumably) living in a "2 Up, 2 Down" and probably no electricity, running water and a privy up the garden - makes you think doesn't it!

Edited by PupCam
Typos as usual
  • Like 12
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

My Great Aunt Winnie was 'in service' as a housekeeper to a very well off  family in Worthing, and then Angmering, near Brighton from before WW2.  As the couple (Mr & Mrs Andrews IIRC) aged, my Aunt and the driver/butler became more like companions and friends rather than staff (ageing themselves of course!), they were very well looked after indeed, and family were very welcome to visit.  The lived in Ecclesden Manor, IIRC again - I visited as a kid but memory is blurred.  Aunt Winnie was a great user of trains, and loved them - rode the Brighton Belle regularly, and loved Bullied Pacifics, and indeed was partial to a footplate ride.  Quite a remarkable lady for her time.

Not a bad little pad Neil.     £2.75M?, plenty of sheds and looks like it might be good for astronomy.     Perhaps Puppershire needs to re-locate? 🤔

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Not too shabby....

https://assets.savills.com/properties/GBLHCHLAC170100/LAC170100_LAR17000229.PDF

- for sale at £2.95M in 2017; £2.75M in 2022

It has got a nice big Garage - I wouldn't fancy the gas & leccy bill though......

edit:  I see Puppers got in there first 😠.  Bluddy Rattin' Piggin' Turdycurses.....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, polybear said:

edit:  I see Puppers got in there first 😠.  Bluddy Rattin' Piggin' Turdycurses.....

You snooze, you lose .... 🤣

• Agree 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, pH said:

Yes, apparently the fire burning from the south has reached the town. Highway 93 to the south from Jasper is now closed, as is Highway 16 (the ‘Yellowhead’) to the east. Jasper is in Alberta. The only way out is 16 West into British Columbia. 

Most people evacuating from Jasper want to go elsewhere in Alberta. They are having to drive west into BC, then south down through BC then east again to get back into Alberta - a diversion of over 1000km to get to Calgary.

Apparently, some people got out to Alberta on 16 East, then north to Grande Cache and Grande Prairie, but the fire has closed that route now.

I have just been watching some of the footage on the damage in Jasper. Frightening doesn’t even cover it.  We have family in Alberta and have been to some of those places which makes it even more harrowing.

Other members of the family live on the southern tip of Vancouver Island. There is a localised fire there. The wind is in the ‘right’ direction (for them, but perhaps not others) and they are only suffering minor issues eased by staying indoors with closed windows. They worry though that the wind might change and rain is not forecast for a while.

Touching on the controversial now, I don’t condone Just Stop Oil’s modus operandi  but I can’t help feeling sympathy for their worries.  In reality they don’t need to take the action that they do, the Earth is going to tell us it is time for a reboot.  Soon.  In a big way that can’t be ignored, 

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

That looks superb.

Don't you feel like printing it out just to see it and touch it.

I know I would.

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Given the size of it, it would have to be printed in so many sections that it would be the equivalent of a highly complex Airfix kit...

@monkeysarefun  Assuming you printed it out as a kit of parts, what solvents/adhesives would be needed to glue it together?

Edited by Hroth
typo...
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I've  found it can  take  a LOT longer to model some items overall  in CAD than using traditional ("analogue?") modelling techniques. Buildings for instance can take 20 or 30 hours or more even for fairly basic ones, and thats BEFORE they are printed, constructed and painted.  Especially if its a brick building and I  go to the trouble of doing the header  bricks around the top of doors and windows, ensuring corner bricks join authentically and use the correct brick course and so on.  At that level of detail its old-school scratchbuilding  that might be regarded as the cheating method if you just stick on brickpaper or embossed sheets!

What I like about 3D printing is that I can sit on the lounge with  my laptop in front of the footy or whatever, and just draw away. Its actually become a hobby in itself -  there are some models I've designed  that I'll never probably print out but I had a ton of fun drawing them up. Mudgee station for instance, which I have absolutely no use of a physical model of but I really enjoyed  making a virtual one.

Screenshot(415).jpg.d167526a5c1e040b3e1e25429da338c4.jpg

Even with designing your own building or whatever you can still go to online sites and download pre-done details like doors, columns and so on to include into your design, but every detail  I use is all "hand done" by me. (even the cars). All up it took around 6 months of fairly solid CAD using Sketchup and Blender,  it would have been quicker to scratchboard a traditional model of it, but it looks cool rendered up IMHO.

I do remember when I was a sub-teenager and used to buy my monthly Airfix kit from the local newsagent with my pocket money. I thought at the time  how cool it'd be if instead of being limited to what Airfix sold,  I was  able to draw a picture of anything  at alI that I wanted a model of, and a special machine would print it out for me.

Now, 50 years later I have one!

And that is precisely why the view "It wasn't whittled from original Slaters Plasticard cut with a scawker fashioned from an old Junior Hacksaw blade so it isn't modelling" is completely wrong IMVHO.  

They are both very worthy ways of producing a model, neither is "better" than the other or less valid.   I would venture to suggest that the 3D printed model maybe more consistent in its standard of construction (but of course that might include being consistently wrong if the 3D modeller is careless) and errors such as wonky or variable size window glazing bars  for example are far more likely using the traditional approach.

Anyway, looks spectacular to me Chimpy!    

Hmmm, thinks.   I've still got a flight in a Tiger Moth birthday present to arrange.   Maybe that funding should be re-directed towards purchasing a 3D printer?

By the way, you've probably mentioned this before(but I've forgotten, what software do you use?

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

@polybear & @PupCam Yes that's the place, although it has had a 'bit' spent on it since I was there in the ....umm....late 60's I suppose.  My parents went a few times before the Andrews' died, so maybe the mid 80's, Great Aunt Winnie passed away in the late 70's I think.   The panelled room is in my memory, none of the rest is, bar the frontage. The kitchen most certainly was not like that, it was more 1930's in appearance! I have remembered the driver/butler/handyman was called Jackson, never a first name mentioned!  Wow that's really shaken some dust out of my brain.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Talking of 2-up-2-down houses that is exactly what I lived in from 1983 to 1988. I did delve into the history of it. It was part of a terrace built in 1862 with just the four rooms and an outside privy. A scullery was added in the 1920's and a bathroom added to the back of that in the 1950's. Speaking to some of the locals I was told that during the Victorian era a large family lived in the house with about 12 children. It had no foundations as such, the walls had been built on a plinth buried about 6 inches beneath the surface.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

You snooze, you lose .... 🤣

Too right.

Incident one. Just tried ordering a gluten free beer I tried last week, it’s now discontinued.

Incident two. Just tried ordering an unmentionable item that I’ve had my eye on for a week and now it’s gone.

Double pah and turdycurses as well.

Other than that a reasonable day down in Newark visiting Mum. 
After a phone call from work an Incident  will need my attention. The sooner I get retired the better.

While on the subject of retirement I can’t seem to get any enthusiasm up for it. I have my usual weekly/monthly workload and expecting many extras in the lead up to the big day but just haven’t seem to get my finger out and get things prepared. I am beginning to think unless I (we) hit the ground running with the retirement we may end up in the same situation that I’m (we’re) in now. I’m grateful to a fellow ER for highlighting such things.

To this end we called off at motorhome dealer on the way to Newark but unfortunately didn’t make a purchase. I’m also planning a very small unmentionable that can be built fairly quickly (over the winter) and in the comfort of my indoor modeling room.

Boys coming round tomorrow for a sleepover so better get off to sleep as it’s more than likely to be a busy/stressful couple of days.

Goodnight.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well, I’ve sort of been busy today, but there’s not a lot to show for it. Last week when I cut up the plywood for my baseboards and helix, although I tried to cut all the pieces the same size, there is some slight discrepancy between them. So, I’ve marked up the smallest piece to the correct size (they were all cut slightly oversized) and I’ve then clamped this to several pieces. The plan is to sand them all down to size together. Once that was done, I did a bit of work on the computer, but I couldn’t find the operating disc for one particular item I wanted to play with. So after dinner, instead of going to the workshop, I carried on looking for it and eventually found it on a shelf in the underfloor storage area! So, I reloaded the program on to the computer and had a play, setting up a sound generator for one of my model boats. I quite enjoyed relearning how to use the program! 

When Sheila got back from her Zumba class, she said her flask was leaking and that she might need to buy a new one. I had a look at it and noticed that the spout was quite mucky (she obviously hasn’t been cleaning it properly) so after giving it a good clean I tested the top and found it no longer leaked. Resulting in a very happy Sheila and a few more brownie points earned. I’m sorely tempted to cash all the recently earned brownie points in (before they expire) on an offer from the big model shop in Sheffield! I’ve got until Sunday to take up their offer, so, watch this space! 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 5