The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, pH said:

Yes, apparently the fire burning from the south has reached the town. Highway 93 to the south from Jasper is now closed, as is Highway 16 (the ‘Yellowhead’) to the east. Jasper is in Alberta. The only way out is 16 West into British Columbia. 

Most people evacuating from Jasper want to go elsewhere in Alberta. They are having to drive west into BC, then south down through BC then east again to get back into Alberta - a diversion of over 1000km to get to Calgary.

Apparently, some people got out to Alberta on 16 East, then north to Grande Cache and Grande Prairie, but the fire has closed that route now.

Jasper is our favourite place on our two trips to Western Canada. It's very sad to hear about the fires affecting it. I heard from a colleague who has just come back from a trip of her own.

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

A dull grey start but with a few brighter white bits in the cloud, it is supposed to stay dry except for a while around 2pm.  I had a good look at my sore toe this morning and the dressing doesn't seem to be needed anymore.  I shall keep an eye on it as the day progresses.

Shortly it will be time for church and perhaps a walk later on.  This afternoon I should receive a market research phone call about a visit I made a few weeks ago to an English Heritage property, Belsay Hall.  At the end of it I shall be sent a shopping voucher as a "thank you".  I have nothing else planned during the day so don't mind doing it.

There might be time for some more garden jobs or I may make an attempt to see what is in the kitchen cupboards that I no longer need/want - especially the one under the sink.

David

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

G'morning all.  It is a fine November day here at the Distant (Signal) West.  In July.  

Raining.  Breezy.  Foggy.  Humid.  But it's lifting a little as I can now see beyond the front wall; I couldn't even see that at 7am. 

IMG_7278.JPG.9759c3463c54dbc255afa84df724698e.JPG

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

But it's lifting a little as I can now see beyond the front wall;

View out in the North Atlantic, looking towards North America.

Going for a walk soon.

20240725_101136_resized.jpeg.0aaa0ddc52ddc26c4ccb653abd4eed17.jpeg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Overslept a bit this morning and had to rush the recycling bags out as it was BIN day today. It was only about ten minutes before they were emptied. All the other bins reside outdoors anyway so they don't have to be put out.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Its amazing how fast those fires move and how quickly they pass   - but by then the damage is done.

This was down the south coast from here during the 2020 fires.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear to @PupCam:

We need a Team Visit there.....

It's a wonderful museum, a truly world class collection beautifully presented, and free to enter. I could genuinely spend several days there and wouldn't get bored. Washington DC is one of my favourite cities, I know there are lots of horror stories about the suburbs but the downtown is a wonderful city. 

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Meanwhile in my old home village..

You want a cheap house?

These are ex miners homes. A lot were bought by speculators when the mine closed. Some have been modernised.. others haven't  but the villagebis due for a lotnof regeneration work so the people who bought them (some for £1 apparently) have realised that not all of them will be compulsorily purchased. A great shame...

Time to finish my tea and gerronwithit..

Have a good day!

Baz

Yep . . . and I will say no more on the subject to save my blood pressure.. .

Weather-wise . . . .warm, grey, claggy, but dry.

Have a good day all. . . enjoy what you doing . . . 

John

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

With the barley now mown, our fire hazard is greatly reduced...

MRC Thursday working party is now complete..

Three small rolls of wire have arrived, three large rolls ordered from the same place at the same time haven't.

As have 6 bridge sides, for the bridges of unmentionables .

After a muggacoffee I'm going to try bridges unmentionable against space available.

It's gone very dark, soggyness is possible.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

John

Yes and the local MP sits on his hands (as the previous ones have done for years) saying.. "nothing I can do".

Money is sat in DCC but not being spent.. criminal.. such a good place... ruined..

Baz

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, from a once again dull but dry rock, 17c looks a bit better though.

A trip to the Bright Lights of Royal Ramsey this morning to do some bank stuff and then see a pal, the one that is launching into the MR hobby with a heap of old 3 Rail HD.  He's having fun with it, it's actually hard to envisage how little a 76 year old man knows about the hobby, when most of my friends are well experienced.  It is interesting to go back to absolute basics to explain some things, and gives me respect for teachers starting out with children in the sciences, as an example.  it has been quite thought provoking.

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

View out in the North Atlantic, looking towards North America.

Going for a walk soon.

20240725_101136_resized.jpeg.0aaa0ddc52ddc26c4ccb653abd4eed17.jpeg

I was going to ask if you would be gone long. 

3 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

John

Sounds similar to my feelings about the pubcos that ripped off a lot of former miners, trousered their redundancy money then kept putting their rent and drink prices up.  Charlatans the lot of them.  A lot of good people got ripped off. 

It's 30 degrees here. Just got out of the pool. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

My sister has just sent me this..

IMG-20240725-WA0000.jpg.44c3240583e8e076759b1173eda1f1b9.jpg

Nice Tri Ang trike.. not sure about the nerdo well sat on it

baz

I remember seeing the thing the little girl is holding, in mail order catalogues.  As I recall the tin drum was covered in brightly coloured farm animals or something similar and when it was pushed about by the handle played a tune.

Even at my young age, I couldn't see the point.

The trike, however.....

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

There's not too much to report today.  Church went well as usual, a lot of people are on holidayso were not there.  I then had a walk on the promenade but it started to drizzle so I turned back a bit early.  I didn't get too wet.

I've sorted out more photos for the web and checked the captions.  I've found out a little bit about the teaspons I bought and now know whio made them but there is almost nothing about them on the web.

I've had the phone call from the market researcher which proved to be quite interesting as my experiences as a young person when Dad was a Headteacher of a boarding school which meant we lived in part of a big building and there were resident staff apparently made my answers to some of the questions about English Heritage properties rather different from the norm.  I also had relatives in another part of the family who had been "in service" and I always remember what they said - they were always very positive about their jobs and the people they worked for.

I did a bit of general tidying oin the back garden.  Next will be tea and then more reading/TV.

David

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I visited the Udvar Hazy centre of the Smithsonian Museum on the edge of Dulles airport with a colleague from Singapore, and it was interesting when we got to the Enola Gay. Somewhat to my shame I merely saw it as an engine of war and a beautifully preserved aircraft, it was only when he expressed some queasiness at what it represented that I started thinking about Hiroshima. Even though I have been to the museum in Hiroshima which is a powerful experience (the only other museum which has really made me think about things in the same way is the Holocaust gallery in the IWM in London) I disconnected the aircraft from the event. Something easy to forget is that how we remember WW2 is not how others remember it. People in Singapore are not anti-British and have quite a mature, nuanced view of British rule but WW2 wasn't really their war as they were caught in the middle of a fight between two imperial powers. Talking to my wife's family and friends in Indonesia is even more stark, whereas people in Singapore do actually have a lot of positives about Britain even if they were happy to see the back of empire people in Indonesia have few positive thoughts about their colonial past and the only positive they see in WW2 is it accelerated the end of empire.

Anyway, a few pics.

EnolaGay1.jpg

EnolaGay2.jpg

EnolaGay4.jpg

EnolaGay5.jpg

EnolaGay6.jpg

EnolaGay3.jpg

My first reaction is as yours; it's a beautifully preserved example of an amazing engineering feat and I wouldn't normally expanded the field of my thoughts.    But yes, it's so much more and you can see why others from a completely different culture and a non-aviation and/or non-engineering perspective would possibly have a very different response.

A most thought provoking post and an example of how it's easy to stick in one's own mindset and miss or ignore those of others.

9 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear to @PupCam:

We need a Team Visit there.....

I think we do but I can think of a drawback or two.    I wonder how much my travel insurance would be? 🤔

7 hours ago, Barry O said:

Meanwhile in my old home village..

You want a cheap house?

These are ex miners homes. A lot were bought by speculators when the mine closed. Some have been modernised.. others haven't  but the villagebis due for a lotnof regeneration work so the people who bought them (some for £1 apparently) have realised that not all of them will be compulsorily purchased. A great shame...

Same sort of style as the Puppers' first residence only slightly larger.    Ours would have been a farm labourers, 2 Up, 2 Down cottage as mines were a bit thin on the ground (perhaps that should be a bit thin underground) round these parts. 

It was 10' wide and 18' deep and is now about ~160 years old, I often pass it as it's only a mile across the field from us in the next village.    I'd love to have a look round it as we did a lot of work inside including building fireplaces, putting heating in, making "period" internal doors etc etc etc.      I remember when we came to sell it I still hadn't got round to making the funny shaped kitchen cabinet doors for under the stairs.   These amusingly became  an "Open Plan Storage Unit" feature in the estate agents blurb 🤣 

I also remember when a double glazing salesman knocked on the door.  Quick as a flash he said something along the lines of "Hi, I'm from Rip-off Doors and Windows and we're doing a special promotion on sliding conservatory doors and wondered if you'd be interested?"   I stepped down on to the pavement, pointed out the extent of the property and said that if he could find somewhere to install them I'd buy them.   He very quickly scurried off 🤣

image.png.5f887017abda8b71d60b802a5f18005e.png

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Some thoughts on your erudite and informative post…

I should have been clearer, but to me it’s selbstverständlich that you would get the 4th axis option.

As to replacing a “proper” lathe and mill, the new generation machines (of which the Carvera is an “entry level” example) are getting to the point where they can make a stand alone lathes and milling machines (mostly) redundant.

But as you point out later “horses for courses” - it very much depends on what you are doing with the machinery.

Hitting it with a hammer?

And not forgetting the BIG hammer

Again, it all depends upon what you’re wanting to do (and let’s not forget you can multipurpose some tools: e.g.s a decent vice, some suitably thick and strong wood strips and you can fold sheet metal)

Most definitely! I firmly believe in using the right tool for the right job – much to Mrs IDs annoyance, who asks me why I need so many different tools (my reply to her is “you wouldn’t expect me to do open-heart surgery without a chest-spreader, would you?”).

As to your second point, I wouldn’t underestimate what professional 3-D printers can do. (these are the 3-D printers - such as the EPlus3D EP-M1550 - that can cost up to $1 million each and are customised by the manufacturer to the needs of the purchaser).

Many of these advanced 3-D printers are used to create engineering prototypes in metal, replacing the lathe and the milling machine.

I would agree (in my neck of the woods just because you can staple surgical incisions closed, doesn’t mean you can neglect your suturing skills).

However, I do think, because you are such a skilled and multitalented craftsman, you overestimate both the skill level and the modelling needs of most people for the level of r****** m******** they are likely to do.

If you were building a modern r****** m******** workshop from scratch, I think that my proposed list of “toys“ would be more than sufficient to cover their modelling needs 

The point I think you miss though is the reason behind the workshop?   It's for our hobby interest not a new production line.  As I mentioned I'm actually a great fan of 3D printing (if still a 3D printing virgin)   The very  necessary skill to properly use it is just another skill to be acquired and mastered like the more traditional modelling skills we already have.   i.e. Produce a 3D model of something, create the stl files, then print it (and probably refine it a couple of times until you are good) RATHER THAN just going online, downloading a file and printing it which is not much harder than going online and buying insurance or ordering a RTR Loco.   The use of CNC machining is yet another different skill set to be acquired and mastered but I would argue for the hobby of much lower general utility than 3D printing.   

For example, say you wanted to true-up some old Romford drivers; I would argue that it would be much easier and quicker to whack them into the Unimat 3 and do it manually than put it in a CNC lathe and programme it to do so.   No, I'll not be casting aside the hacksaw, files, Unimat, drill etc etc anytime soon.

Returning to 3D printing for a moment.   Like all new technologies I think it is very important to remember no technology is a panacea and it is important to play to its individual strengths and avoid its particular weaknesses.  As an example I'm reminded of the early "New wonder etched brass kits" when some manufacturers (No names, no Pack Drill and all that) tried to make absolutely everything from thin etched brass; e.g. 3D axle boxes!  Completely ridiculous which is why others stuck with, for example, casting such things which was and is far more appropriate in that case.    More recently I've got a feeling that some may have stretched the application of laser cutting too ...... 

Of course, every modeller will have their own unique list of "Must have",  "That would be useful or nice" and "Why on earth would you want that!" tools whether ancient or modern.    I never did get round to buying a riveting tool but I know a Bear that did!    I may have made a little flat table and a mounting for a sprung loaded punch for the Unimat though.

ION

I decided it was "Prune the Lollipop Holly Tree Day" today.  My, it had put some growth on!   It's looking much better but might need another go to once it's settled down and I've recovered to get back to something a bit closer to spherical 🤣

As I had the step ladder out I took the opportunity to trim the long stalky bits of rampant growth from the Wisteria but whatever you do don't tell @Winslow Boy because he'll probably tell me off.    I don't know what it is about the particular species / cultivar (is that the right terminology I'm an engineer not a horticulturalist?) of our Wisteria but I wish it would produce its flowers BEFORE the leaves like any sensible one.  I'm sure normal ones aren't as rampant in the leaf and shoot department (that's almost a book title).

Looks like my sausage cooking skills are required.

BFN

• Like 13

BIN day, sorted...

Yesterday a continuation of "nothing happening here", though the Mrs and I took a walk around the 'hood. Nice day for a walk yesterday, and still no real activity on the two houses up for grabs. 

Today, Mrs off to PT then lunch with "the ladies".

Later, Whitney will join us as the two pilots are off to fields afar for a few days each. Jemma headed to Munich again, and not sure where Brendan is off to.

Tonight, a small group of post-rehearsal choir members will manage our first summer get-together at the watering hole we frequent during the choir season. Only four of us as many are taking advantage of summer and have buqqered off on holiday, the NERVE of them!! 😀

Weather at BIN time a delightful, sunny, mild breeze 15c, 27c the forecast high later.

Carry on...

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

My sister has just sent me this..

IMG-20240725-WA0000.jpg.44c3240583e8e076759b1173eda1f1b9.jpg

Nice Tri Ang trike.. not sure about the nerdo well sat on it

baz

I see you had your moustache even back then.

• Like 3
  • Funny 6