The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Bear here.....

Back from the hilly wander; I spied this outside tess n' co:

image.png.ca0e2e1c452b70c9f03cc8286c9f4ee1.png

I suspect a certain cynical captain may have desires on it....not sure I'd want the job of keeping those wheels shiny, but I suspect CC has a Minion for that.

I was going to have rhubarb crumble tonight - until I discovered the crumble bit has 260 cals for a measly 1/4 of a packet (53g).  The packet stayed in the Co-op.....so it's just rhubarb n' custard now....☹️

BG

Edited by polybear
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Thank you for that introduction....

An Ode To Early Riders

Crispy lie the gnarlhops pon the grebe of day

Mamchu!

Manchu!;

Manchu!

Glab the snuckets to their weeves as splotz falls like snow!

And the frangs ooze their ichor into the desolate warbled.

'We die at last" the saddened nins emote with ecstatic vizz.

Heat Death of The Universe 

I thank you

Those pain meds are doing wonders for your mind....

• Like 2
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold

I decided today would be a good day to go to Morpeth and do some shopping.  On the way out of town I noticed that the level crossing by the new station which is still being built no longer has any barriers.  It's as well there are no regular trains though I think there may be some crew training - but that may be planned for later.  The new road bridge still isn't finished, it has a lot of scaffolding and will need the top coat of tarmac and the roundabouts finishing so that the temporary bits of road can be removed.  Some of the locals find it very confusing and don't seem to know which way to go, even though there are hundreds of cones.

I parked easily in Morpeth and this time remembered to both display my parking disc and put the right arrival time on it.  I also checked that I can park for 3 hours.  It's nice having free parking.

I had a walk around the shops, perhaps going into Waterstones was not the best idea as I found a number of books I simply had to buy, including one in the New Naturalist series I collect - they only cost a bit more than a wagon.  At least I now have a sizeable amount of money on my loyalty card to spend when I next call in. 

After that I looked in two antique shops and bought a couple of paperweights.  Today was a very good day for antiques as I found a set of silver teaspoons at a suitable price to go with my cutlery.  While I was in the shop we had a good talk about cleaning silver, he uses an electric toothbrush to get any old polish deposits off heavily patterned items.  We agreed that silver dip is best for cutlery.

Then I visited the model shop, I bought things but none of them have wheels.  Lastly it was coffee, the M&S token got exchanged for socks and I had a look round The Works.

I had lunch at the garden centre just north of the town and bought a couple of shirts while I was there.  On the way home a farm shop was visited for some food items.

Now I am having a rest.

David

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, polybear said:

ISTR that Castrol R is fine for racing engines where they are stripped and rebuilt at regular intervals; it's not so great for road use though.

That is indeed the case.  WW1 aircraft engines, particularly rotaries, tended not to be long-lived and often stripping and cleaning out the castor oil carp was not applicable.  

Burnt castor smells fantastic if you like that sort of thing.    Some may even be tempted to put a tiny, tiny smidgen in the fuel just so it can get burnt ....

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Nice try but that's not Vogan poetry.   It almost made sense!

Now that is pretty as a picture and it would be MUCH easier to deliver it to Puppershire than Swizwangleland.     I'll clear the drive (and then go and find suitable garage accommodation) for it.

ION

I see work is in full swing on HS2 through Puppershire*.   A certain Bear of this Parish may recognise some of the heavy plant in use.

Img_2388.jpg.9695e68dca66de2ccb03058c79e1c803.jpg

* What do you mean HS2 doesn't go through Puppershire?

TTFN

Tonka!

Is that a PROPER Tonka - complete with nice sharp edges n' all that, or one of the modern, toned-down jobbies now that the H&S Police have stuck their nebby in?

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

Chewsday...

Nothing of note yesterday, and looks to be a similar day today!

Mrs off to a PT session and later we'll have to travel to obtain comestibles, what fun!

Weather is cooler 16c first thing, overcast and 26c later, some rain expected.

Onward.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, polybear said:

Tonka!

Is that a PROPER Tonka - complete with nice sharp edges n' all that, or one of the modern, toned-down jobbies now that the H&S Police have stuck their nebby in?

Can't remember offhand but it came from Polybear country if you recall 😉   

I wouldn't be surprised if it's previous job was carting bits of Harry the Honda to and from Beamland.

ION

I see ERs is still running like Harry the Honda on two carbs (for the avoidance of doubt or confusion he has 4 of the little blighters).   

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Can't remember offhand but it came from Polybear countryif you recall 😉   

I wouldn't be surprised if it's previous job was carting bits of Harry the Honda to and from Beamland.

Did it??  Well it wasn't one of Bear's...now where the hell did that come from??  That's gonna drive me (even more) nutzo trying to remember now...... 🤪

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, polybear said:

Did it??  Well it wasn't one of Bear's...now where the hell did that come from??  That's gonna drive me (even more) nutzo trying to remember now...... 🤪

...... and it was way before the Hospice job

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just been watching the 100 (womens) cricket on BBC2. I've not watched limited overs cricket before, it's very different to the cricket I'm used too but I might get used to it. The men's match is about to start.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, PupCam said:

That is indeed the case.  WW1 aircraft engines, particularly rotaries, tended not to be long-lived and often stripping and cleaning out the castor oil carp was not applicable.  

Burnt castor smells fantastic if you like that sort of thing.    Some may even be tempted to put a tiny, tiny smidgen in the fuel just so it can get burnt ....

Indeed, that was the smell of motor sport. If you could make an aftershave with the same smell you would clean up.

• Like 9
  • Funny 4

4 minutes ago, pgcroc said:

Look away now Bears!

Do not go to Finland.

canned bear meat.jpg

Erm they must be very small bears…..I mean they only weigh 200g and can fit inside those tins…amazing.

Just like tuna fish does! 

I’ve been to Finland….and right up until you posted this I had planned to go back there one day…..but now….to put it as eloquently as I can….Boll0x to that. And I am sure that I probs speak for my Poly relation in this matter.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

For those recording temperature: Sunday was world’s hottest ever recorded day, data suggests.Preliminary data from Copernicus suggests temperature records were shattered, taking world into ‘uncharted territory’

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/jul/23/world-temperature-records-shattered-hottest-day-climate-crisis

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Gold

Evening all

Today has been spent power washing and removing algae from various bits of concrete and fancy brickwork.  

This was followed by a wash through of the drains.  They weren’t too bad at all but in one or two places silt had gathered and when disturbed it was obvious that some anaerobic bacteria had started to do their stuff. Everything is clean and sweet smelling again- apart from me. I’m off for a long shower.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Just me and the sea. Very quiet here today. 

Apart from the Swiss family who called in and were given the guided tour. I asked but they didn’t seem to know anyone called @iL Dottore

IMG_7274.jpeg.bf2719f6251d83c1f08d6f1c22224f07.jpeg

Very nice!

Were the Swiss family the Robinsons? 🤔

• Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Today I decided to defrost the fridge.  I should have done it ages ago, but procrastination intervened.

So.  After removing the contents and putting them in a subsidiary fridge (too small for everyday use), I had to turn off the power.  As the socket is behind the fridge, I pulled it forward.  All that was behind it was an elderly Tesco receipt from December 2021 when the fridge was installed when I moved into the house.  The plug was to the left of the fridge, I could have turned it off without dragging it out.  So switched off and pushed the fridge back in.

So now the iceberg is slowly melting and the run off soaked up by old towels. I might be able to clean the interior and switch it back on by tomorrow evening*...

Good, eh?

🤪🤪🤪

*  It sounds a bit like Hoffnungs "Bricklayers Letter"...

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Sounds like ‘Fat Wallet’ needs a break as well!

The total of what I bought today comes to about a sound fitted deltic and 2 coaches so not bad really.

David

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 10