The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning!

55 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:
1 hour ago, polybear said:

I also need to fire up Harry the Honda as well - he tends to go off and sulk if left too long without doing so, due to fuel evaporation. 

@polybear I suggest draining the float bowls each time after giving Harry a run - my old 900 was a buqqer to start too if left standing, and the stuff in modern petrol is horrendous for gooing up the carbs as well as the lighter stuff flashing off quickly for some reason.

Yes I'm with Neil on that and in your case where you won't be going anywhere on it I'd be draining the tank too and leaving the cap off to get the last drops to evaporate ASAP.   

I hope you put E5 and NOT E10 in as Ethanol absorbs atmospheric water.  As an extra precaution I always use Esso Premium because around here (and in many parts of the country) it actually contained 0% Ethanol.   That may have changed in the last few months I've not found out conclusively either way unfortunately.     It would be a great shame for inside bottom of Harry's what I assume to be immaculate but naked mild steel tank to start developing rust.     Ethanol can also attack brass, soldered, plastic and rubber components all of which feature quite highly in old vehicles.  

Keep him safe until it's somebody else's problem!

23 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

After some mildly amusing Bear Baiting (ER) and some erudite discussion (TNM), I got my gluteus maximus moving, grabbed my sports bag and headed to the gym. As always, I enjoyed my workout (especially the bit where I note the beneficial effects of lycra on certain - highly toned - female bodies). Went into the shower, came out of the shower, slipped and fell on my back…

Hard

On the edge of the step to the shower.

I lay there, winded, whilst staff and other gym members came and helped me to my feet. I sat down for a minute or two, finished drying off and got dressed - slowly and painfully.

And today? Well my condition has been downgraded from “I’m gonna die, I’m gonna die” to “it’s only the hope of dying that keeps me alive” with further improvement to “don’t fuss so, woman” expected by the end of the day! 

Sorry to hear that iD.  I hope you got to the final condition stated quickly.   I'm no doctor (as you know!) but I reckon you might be a bit sore for a few days but hopefully no permanent damage was done 🤞

ION

I managed to spot the ISS again for the second time in I think 2 days last night - the sky in Puppershire has been a barren place for the last n months; partly due to the time of year  but mostly because of the weather.     There was a nice (very nearly) full moon last night but it rose too late to be of use to Puppers.     Mrs Puppers reported "a bright star out of the window" during the early hours.  A quick check with SkySafari showed that it was my old friend Jupiter.      I note that the last time I was able to do any proper astronomy was January!  TCs then.

It's grey, windy and mizzling.   I guess it will be a MIUAYGA then.

TTFN

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

53 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Well, that was a Sunday I wouldn’t care to repeat any time soon.

It started off well enough: my usual diet breakfast of homemade volkorn bread and some sliced meats and coffee. I then perused RMWeb, collecting my Euromillions numbers as I did (so far I have 11, 2, 33, 51, 4 and 44, if anyone’s interested). 

After some mildly amusing Bear Baiting (ER) and some erudite discussion (TNM), I got my gluteus maximus moving, grabbed my sports bag and headed to the gym. As always, I enjoyed my workout (especially the bit where I note the beneficial effects of lycra on certain - highly toned - female bodies). Went into the shower, came out of the shower, slipped and fell on my back…

Hard

I lay there, winded, whilst staff and other gym members came and helped me to my feet. I sat down for a minute or two, finished drying off and got dressed - slowly and painfully.

Still, I didn’t think much of it, self diagnosing (never really a good idea) as massive bruising of the lower left lumbar musculature with (self) prescription of a decent NSAID (declofenac). Unfortunately, a few hours after the fall I started developing neurological symptoms (NO, my dear ERs I didn’t land on my head) and thinking prudence is the better part of valour headed to the Notfallstation (A&E) at the Kantonspital.

I was seen relatively promptly, but although it was a very quiet Sunday night at A&E, from what I could discern the other patients were a damn site worse off than I was (of course time, in A&E, is relative: if you are working there you have almost no time to yourself, it’s always busy, busy, busy! But if you’re a patient, it’s definitely hurry up and wait).

Anyway, after being given some analgesia 😁😁😁 and providing a urine sample (to rule out kidney injury from the fall) I was seen by a rather pleasant young doctor, who I reckon was in her late 20s. So I began describing the event and the symptomatology and at one point during my description she looked at me and asked “are you a doctor?“. After the affirmative, she gave me a very, very thorough examination for all and any signs of neurological impairment. I was sent to radiology where I got my thorax, lumbar region and upper pelvis x-rayed. Upon return to the A&E examination room my BP, pulse and pO2 were taken (and were very good indeed - surprisingly)

The young doctor returned with the results - which we discussed. No fractures, no nerve root compression, negative neurological examination, and a minor finding on the left kidney (probably long standing, to be followed up with at my GP). The radiologist’s report suggested the remote possibility of a hairline fracture of a vertebra, but as the treatment would be the same as in the absence of a hairline vertebral fracture, we decided a CT wasn’t necessary. 

Bottom line: I was prescribed an analgesic, an anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxant, physiotherapy and discharged.

And today? Well my condition has been downgraded from “I’m gonna die, I’m gonna die” to “it’s only the hope of dying that keeps me alive” with further improvement to “don’t fuss so, woman” expected by the end of the day! 

What's going on with all this down the local A &E. Come on man you should have been on the mobile to Scrote, Scrote & Flogthem to get the accident claim in or at least a call to Captain C about getting one of his minions to pay the gym a discrete visit to discuss a 'rebate'.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

I see pages 13247 and 13248 are identical as I write this at 09.48.  I wonder how long that will last.  The worse bit is that having read page 13247 I moved on to 13248 and read the first couple of posts before realising I had read them before.

So far this morning I have had a tidy up and dusted reday for Amanda to come and do the rest. Sometime today I need to go to a suitable emporium to buy a small tubular bandage so I can re dress my sore toe but there is nothing else vital.  I may also decide to visit a bank which still has a branch in town to discuss opening an account with them, I find that paying cheques in to my bank using their app often doesn't work so usually end up needing to visit a branch.

Sometime I need to sort out some more photos to go on the web, I have some captioned so it is just a case of selecting which ones.

I am hoping the rain will stop at some time, I had planned on gardening.

David

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

ot many ERs about today!

I'm sorry.  But it is Moan-day.  

As usual it is also cool, grey, damp and breezy around these parts despite the prognostications of the Kelp-mongers.  

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

What's going on with all this down the local A &E. Come on man you should have been on the mobile to Scrote, Scrote & Flogthem to get the accident claim in or at least a call to Captain C about getting one of his minions to pay the gym a discrete visit to discuss a 'rebate'.

"Where there's blame there's a claim ...."

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A few days since I last posted, mainly due to being rather busy in the garden and workshop. However, I have managed to keep up with what’s going on, so I’ve not missed anything. Ava is due to spend the day with us today, so we’re off to the RHS Bridgewater this morning. After dinner, Ava and I will fit baking the fruit tea loaf I left soaking overnight. 

Back later 

Brian 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Dry, but grey and unpromising.....

Time for a fight with a lawnmower/get my ears lowered/whatever you want to call it.....

• Friendly/supportive 14

4 hours ago, PupCam said:

Sorry to hear that iD.  I hope you got to the final condition stated quickly.   I'm no doctor (as you know!) but I reckon you might be a bit sore for a few days but hopefully no permanent damage was done 🤞

Thanks for the supportive words. Alan.

The final diagnosis was severe traumatic bruising and the doctor and I concluded that in all likelihood the neurological symptoms, which were very much limited, were undoubtably from localised nerve compression due to tissue swelling and muscle tension (hence the anti-inflammatory and the muscle relaxant medication). 

things are slowly but very clearly improving and all being well, I should be working again from this afternoon (well all I have to do is sit in front of a computer) and by Thursday or Friday this week, I should be able to go back to the fitness centre and restart my fitness program.

One of the reasons I started going to the fitness centre early last year was I had read a report about muscle loss in the over 60s. In the journal article it stated that regular weight training preserved muscle mass (without weight training you would lose muscle mass as you age) and with a sufficient amount of muscle mass you are protected against fractures when you fall. In other words, with sufficient muscle mass when you fall you bounce but you don't  break!

Yesterday's little mishap seems to have proven that theory. 

p.s, I"m sorry to disappoint @Gwiwer but NO profanity was uttered, apart from a mildly scatological "oh sh1t that hurts".

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Worth remembering that vessels under 20m length are not required to use AIS.  

This causes issues when - as happens locally here - a major commercial shipping lane is crossed by large numbers of small pleasure craft. 

Rules are rules and you are supposed to do that at 90-degrees to ensure the shortest duration crossing the lanes. Rules take little account of wind and destination / origin. It’s an uncommon day on watch when I don’t have at least one small yacht with no tracker on, not even showing up on Marine Traffic, in close proximity to a large commercial vessel with paths crossing. 

Steam might be expected to give way to sail but a multi-thousand tonne container ship making 15 knots who suddenly spots a 12m yacht at close range isn’t able to take evasive action.  

And what if they are not spotted?  Yachts are notorious for not answering radio calls. 

The Mk1 eyeball can help avert disasters but physical (as opposed to electronic) visibility is often restricted by conditions. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c84jxgy8nmlo

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Well, that was a Sunday I wouldn’t care to repeat any time soon.

It started off well enough: my usual diet breakfast of homemade volkorn bread and some sliced meats and coffee. I then perused RMWeb, collecting my Euromillions numbers as I did (so far I have 11, 2, 33, 51, 4 and 44, if anyone’s interested). 

Now if Bear used those numbers too then Bear would get half iD's winnings.  That could be fun....

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Hard

Still, I didn’t think much of it, self diagnosing (never really a good idea) as massive bruising of the lower left lumbar musculature with (self) prescription of a decent NSAID (declofenac). Unfortunately, a few hours after the fall I started developing neurological symptoms (NO, my dear ERs I didn’t land on my head) and thinking prudence is the better part of valour headed to the Notfallstation (A&E) at the Kantonspital.

I was seen relatively promptly, but although it was a very quiet Sunday night at A&E, from what I could discern the other patients were a damn site worse off than I was (of course time, in A&E, is relative: if you are working there you have almost no time to yourself, it’s always busy, busy, busy! But if you’re a patient, it’s definitely hurry up and wait).

Anyway, after being given some analgesia 😁😁😁 and providing a urine sample (to rule out kidney injury from the fall) I was seen by a rather pleasant young doctor, who I reckon was in her late 20s. So I began describing the event and the symptomatology and at one point during my description she looked at me and asked “are you a doctor?“. After the affirmative, she gave me a very, very thorough examination for all and any signs of neurological impairment. I was sent to radiology where I got my thorax, lumbar region and upper pelvis x-rayed. Upon return to the A&E examination room my BP, pulse and pO2 were taken (and were very good indeed - surprisingly)

The young doctor returned with the results - which we discussed. No fractures, no nerve root compression, negative neurological examination, and a minor finding on the left kidney (probably long standing, to be followed up with at my GP). The radiologist’s report suggested the remote possibility of a hairline fracture of a vertebra, but as the treatment would be the same as in the absence of a hairline vertebral fracture, we decided a CT wasn’t necessary. 

Bottom line: I was prescribed an analgesic, an anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxant, physiotherapy and discharged.

VSBT's; Bear has done similar twice - the first time was a broken T4 (that hurt - for a looooong time), the second was busted rib(s) - that REALLY hurt at the time....

p.s I was gonna send you a medicinal LDC but as it was UPF-laden I scoffed it for you on your behalf……🤣

2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Morning!

Yes I'm with Neil on that and in your case where you won't be going anywhere on it I'd be draining the tank too and leaving the cap off to get the last drops to evaporate ASAP.   

I hope you put E5 and NOT E10 in as Ethanol absorbs atmospheric water.  As an extra precaution I always use Esso Premium because around here (and in many parts of the country) it actually contained 0% Ethanol.   That may have changed in the last few months I've not found out conclusively either way unfortunately.     It would be a great shame for inside bottom of Harry's what I assume to be immaculate but naked mild steel tank to start developing rust.     Ethanol can also attack brass, soldered, plastic and rubber components all of which feature quite highly in old vehicles.  

Keep him safe until it's somebody else's problem!

Harry has decided to be awkward....🤬 - fuel starvation on the two r/h carbies.  B1tch.

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

"Where there's blame there's a claim ...."

No doubt they have a suitable get-out clause, such as a sign saying "Warning - Slippery when Wet"

ION....

Lawn cut.  Tick.

Iddy Diddy Hedge Trim/Tidy Up (= just the long, fluffy sticky-uppy bits that were making it look untidy).

Harry started.  Tick

Harry running like a p1g.  All Ticks confiscated.

Rattin' Piggin' Turdycurses.

BG

Edited by polybear
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

... and all being well, I should be working again from this afternoon

I'll Google that later to see what it means and I'll confirm it with @Coombe Barton 😀

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit grey but dry this morning but the pollen levels are high so a decision on the G word will be made later. A bit of shopping to do first and now the little darlings are on the summer break no need to avoid certain times. A comic has just dropped onto the mat so I now know what I will be doing for the next hour or so.

• Like 13

Missed a few days(weeks), rather busy organising a trip for a family wedding, too old to drive the length of the uk(the car not me), so hairyplanes, taxis, hotels, blimey the prices, I thought I was buying them not renting a seat/bed. Hope all are well.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Worth remembering that vessels under 20m length are not required to use AIS.  

This causes issues when - as happens locally here - a major commercial shipping lane is crossed by large numbers of small pleasure craft. 

Rules are rules and you are supposed to do that at 90-degrees to ensure the shortest duration crossing the lanes. Rules take little account of wind and destination / origin. It’s an uncommon day on watch when I don’t have at least one small yacht with no tracker on, not even showing up on Marine Traffic, in close proximity to a large commercial vessel with paths crossing. 

Steam might be expected to give way to sail but a multi-thousand tonne container ship making 15 knots who suddenly spots a 12m yacht at close range isn’t able to take evasive action.  

And what if they are not spotted?  Yachts are notorious for not answering radio calls. 

The Mk1 eyeball can help avert disasters but physical (as opposed to electronic) visibility is often restricted by conditions. 

International rules for the prevention of collision at sea, (IRPCAS)

Rule 3, (g), The term "vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre" means a vessel which from the nature of her work is restricted in her ability to manoeuvre as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel.

Rule 5  -  Look-out

Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.

Rule 18  -  Responsibilities Between Vessels

Except where Rules 9, 10 and 13 otherwise require:

(a) A power-driven vessel underway shall keep out of the way of:
     (i) a vessel not under command;
     (ii) a vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre;
     (iii) a vessel engaged in fishing;
     (iv) a sailing vessel.

(b) A sailing vessel underway shall keep out of the way of:
     (iii) a vessel engaged in fishing.

The above of course does not apply on the Norfolk broads.

We have our own rules.

For instance fishing vessels or fishermen on the river bank have to lift their tackle to not obstruct the navigational channel.

Every boat over 45ft is classed as a vessel restricted in their ability to manoeuvre.

Motor gives way to sail,

Sail  gives way to human powered vessels.

Then we also sail under the RRS, Racing Rules for Sailing, so for instance you can't come from behind close beneath the leaders stern and call for them to get out of the way  , without A, giving time for them to manoeuvre , and B, giving them room to manoeuvre.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Perhaps ID was daydreaming of all that stretched lycra and not concentrating on his footing.  Mind you I have no room to talk, I broke my coccyx after slipping off a rock on a French beach whilst watching a train go past. 

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Rule 3, (g), The term "vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre" means a vessel which from the nature of her work is restricted in her ability to manoeuvre as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel.

Rule 5  -  Look-out

Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.

Rule 18  -  Responsibilities Between Vessels

Except where Rules 9, 10 and 13 otherwise require:

(a) A power-driven vessel underway shall keep out of the way of:
     (iii) a vessel engaged in fishing;
     (iv) a sailing vessel.

(b) A sailing vessel underway shall keep out of the way of:
     (iii) a vessel engaged in fishing.

The above of course does not apply on the Norfolk broads.

We have our own rules.

For instance fishing vessels or fishermen on the river bank have to lift their tackle to not obstruct the navigational channel.

Every boat over 45ft is classed as a vessel restricted in their ability to manoeuvre.

Motor gives way to sail,

Sail  gives way to human powered vessels.

Then we also sail under the RRS, Racing Rules for Sailing, so for instance you can't come from behind close beneath the leaders stern and call for them to get out of the way  , without A, giving time for them to manoeuvre , and B, giving them room to manoeuvre.

How do you comply with Rule 5 when it’s a solo navigation round the world, for example?

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

How do you comply with Rule 5 when it’s a solo navigation round the world, for example?

That has always been a good question, the better equipped vessels have radar with target alarm.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Oh, is it Monday?

For the next 11hours and 33 minutes....

ION

Ears lowered, feeling lightheaded.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:
TheQ said:

But which rule takes precedence?  18(a)iv or 18(b)ii? 

As mentioned above a multi-thousand tonne container vessel (diesel-powered) who is using the designated TSS (Traffic Separation Scheme) lane off Lands End northbound or southbound and who then finds themselves in the path of a small yacht crossing east - west (the typical heading of a Penzance / Falmouth / St. Ives - Scilly crossing) is not going to be able to change course or "keep out of the way".  Neither, necessarily, is the yacht whether reliant on wind or under way using engine.  

Case in point two weeks ago.  12m yacht not visible on AIS but showing up on Marine Traffic called up a huge container vessel when they were barely one nautical mile apart and bearing down on each other.  Motor Vessel "Good Ship Container Vessel" replied.  Yacht "reminded" then that they were the give-way vessel.  Ship replied "I am maintaining my course and speed".  According to Marine Traffic the yacht went astern of her but close enough that Falmouth Coastguard issued them (and not the larger vessel ) a warning over the radio.  

I was observing the yacht's passage through the binoculars for as long as I had clear sight of her but wasn't able to pinpoint her out to sea at a range of around 10 nautical miles.  The bins are pretty good and will allow us to sight shipping at twice that distance in perfectly clear smooth conditions but this day was neither perfectly clear nor smooth.  Just the normal haze and a moderate sea running.  

I have two watches this week.  We are rather short of active watch-keepers so I am filling in where I can to avoid having to close the watch.  The expected commitment is at least two watches per month.  Most of us are doing two or more a week at present.  

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 7