The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, polybear said:

I find it scary that our own Team  in The Big House want to give the vote to 16 y.o.'s - so Children, in the eyes of the law.

as with most of these things, presumably they figure that the 16 year olds will vote in their direction, tending towards radicalism before experience, world-weariness and cynicism tend to change their world view.

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

15 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Apart from the global IT outage, I got a message an hour ago from the uni that the network was down. It's resit submission day. It's not my problem any more.

its' affecting us - I am WFH today and cannot access citrix because it relies on a microsoft authenticator to let me in. And lots of our PCs have "blue screens" apparently.

And we're trying to complete a substantial deal!

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning!

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Been watching a program on the Beeb about a train crash in India. Shades of Clapham 1988, faultily installed signal wiring was the main cause of the accident. The garden railway visit next week has been cancelled due to family illness.

I caught about 15 seconds of that but the now typical dramatic video graphic in such "documentaries"*  of "coaches flying through the air" was sufficient to have me reaching for the remote control

*  Bring back proper documentaries like Horizon (no, not the PO software!) I say

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Today's fun starts with taking Bertie the Bosch for a drive; I may also have a pair of strides to smooth as well.  

I've also been set some homework (remember that?) by the Hospice Warehouse - fortunately it doesn't involve maffymattiks or writin' boring essays though; my mission is to put up a rather G.T. roadside banner in the village to advertise Hospice events.  Banner & ty-wraps have been provided.....

But it may involve some research ......

Be careful where you put such items and beware there may actually be rules that forbid such things although seeking forgiveness after the event may be far more productive than seeking permission before.   Any exhibition organisers amongst us may be able to recount the rules and experience in their own neck of the woods.    I seem to remember that in St Albans only "approved" (and handsomely paid for!) AA signage was permitted in the town and the banner had to go up on the railings of the Arena in the end.     @bbishop has probably got a far better memory of the shenanigans than I.

ION

I suppose I could buff the RD up a bit today in readiness for its  appearance at the local motorcycle shop's 2 Stroke Day tomorrow.      

I'll be catching up with Junior Puppers for a picnic lunch near the river today which will be good.    Although we see the family very frequently there's rarely an opportunity for a good old father/son chat to make sure everything is good.   Looking forward to it.

TTFN

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

Re the Crowdstrike Outage - here at the local Woolies most of the self-serve registers were closed with the Blue Screen Of Death when I was in there on the way home, other than that, nothing to report.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Be careful where you put such items and beware there may actually be rules that forbid such things although seeking forgiveness after the event may be far more productive than seeking permission before.   Any exhibition organisers amongst us may be able to recount the rules and experience in their own neck of the woods.    I seem to remember that in St Albans only "approved" (and handsomely paid for!) AA signage was permitted in the town and the banner had to go up on the railings of the Arena in the end.

Bill Posters is Innocent.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Another dull but warm and somewhat humid start to the day.  The sun is due to put in an appearnce later on.

I woke at 01.00 and realised I had forgotten to take my antiistamine, I got back to sleep eventually and then woke as usual about 07.30 feeling quite refreshed.  So far the day is proceeding as I expected except that I had to ring the podiatrist as I have a very sore toe, I think the nail which was cut last week is trying to dig into the flesh.

In a few minutes I am going for a short walk then I shall be bathing the toe, I have an appointment for 3.15 this afternoon to have it investigated.  The main part of the day will be golf/test match and photos/modelling.  The nearest car park at the beach will probably be too busy to park as the large car park half way it along is closed today.

Yesterday I was thinking about replacing the TV in the office/spare room/model room as it is not smart (and never has been), it is just over 12 years old.  I remembered I had a spare Chromecast which had originally been Mum's so after tea yesterday I got it set up so I can now watch golf, cricket etc on it by streaming from my PC.  I will still buy a new one sometime but there is no rush as it works OK for now.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

I find it scary that our own Team  in The Big House want to give the vote to 16 y.o.'s - so Children, in the eyes of the law.

Scotland already has given the vote to 16 year olds but it only applies in Scottish votes (Scottish parliament, independence referendum etc.)

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Lurker said:
2 hours ago, polybear said:

as with most of these things, presumably they figure that the 16 year olds will vote in their direction, tending towards radicalism before experience, world-weariness and cynicism tend to change their world view.

Back in high school we held mock elections when there were real ones.  Only those aged 16 or over could vote.  The candidates presented themselves much as political ones do - hustings and with broad allegiance to party principles.  The Conservative won on those occasions I can remember.  He went on to be Head Boy for the year on the basis of that.  

G'morning all.  Not a good one I must say.  Poor attempt at a night's sleep and I have had to apply medications for both asthma (daily anyway) and gout (which is a real pain in the ...... foot).  Currently hoping Muggercoffy the First will help sort things out.  

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

It was a bad move when the age was reduced to 18....  🙃

Only 33% of under 30's bother to vote anyway.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

I think it's the Audi A2 where it's topped up through an opening in the front grille.  The bonnet has to be opened by an approved garage or you void the warranty.

So you have to go a year between checking the oil/anti-freeze/brake fluid/screen wash/power steering fluid levels or pay a main dealer to do it??  Not to mention a routine peer for any signs of leakage, problems etc. etc.

I'd find that a VERY good reason not to buy an A2.

its' affecting us - I am WFH today and cannot access citrix because it relies on a microsoft authenticator to let me in. And lots of our PCs have "blue screens" apparently.

But RMWeb is working......

Panic over.

49 minutes ago, PupCam said:

But it may involve some research ......

Be careful where you put such items and beware there may actually be rules that forbid such things although seeking forgiveness after the event may be far more productive than seeking permission before.   

Bear is but a mere unpaid scrote who does as he's told (amazingly....)

Such decisions are way, way above my pay grade** and made by "The Grown Ups".

**Not hard as I don't get paid (have I mentioned that?)

Anyway, homework has been completed, so that's a Tick.  Bertie the Bosch is also doin' his stuff as well, so that's a partial Tick.

I also tried on a pair of shorts (cheapo twelve quid jobbies - "Amazon Essentials", but seem fine) delivered from the Big River yesterday; I'd ordered a 32W and a 34W pair, just in case - fortunately the 32W fit just right, so that's a Tick.  The 34W will be going back - I wanted another pair of 32W but the price is £17 now 🤬 - no thanks.

ION....

Whilst doing my homework (where there are traffic lights for roadworks) I saw a guy on a big mo'sickle go through the red light and squeeze between the oncoming traffic and the kerb.  What a Bozo - what a shame he didn't do that to Bear cos' the Plod would be getting front & rear dash cam footage.....

And finally....

An item Bear is selling (not Harry) on the 'bay has a bid 😃 so that'll sell - time to pack it methinks.....

BG

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I've got to go out later to get a few essentials, I'm debating whether to go out in the next half hour or leave it until a lot later when its cooler.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, polybear said:

But RMWeb is working......

Panic over.

And Farce Book is also working.  By which means I have been reminded that it is Baz's birthday.  Happy Birthday sir.  Avagooodun.  

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I've got to go out later to get a few essentials, I'm debating whether to go out in the next half hour or leave it until a lot later when its cooler.

It's gonna be mighty hot until at least 7 or 8 tonight; it was "warm" at 9am.....

• Agree 9
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Weather here is sunny, slightly cloudy and calm.  Two baubles down on the thermometer.

A while ago, @iL Dottore was waxing eloquent on the benefits of "sourdough" bread.  Having given the stuff a try, I'd say that the reason you wouldn't want to eat as much of it as conventional bread is that its dense, coarse texture and uninteresting taste is a throwback to the British National Loaf.

Back to a conventional wholemeal loaf for me!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning afternoon everyone 

I’ll start by firstly wishing Baz a happy birthday. 

A bit late on parade, due in part to getup late and then trying to catch up. Anyway, all my usual Friday morning activities have been completed, ie, a walk to the butchers for the week’s meat rations and my pork pie for dinner. Then a trip to the T/C for a few bits and pieces. There is a rumour that a visit to Waitrose may take place later, pah! I also want to make a start on a cheesecake too, I’m not sure what flavour yet, I’ll see what we’ve got in the cupboard. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

I also want to make a start on a cheesecake too, I’m not sure what flavour yet, I’ll see what we’ve got in the cupboard. 

Lemon's nice....as is salted caramel...

Ask a Bear how he knows....

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, polybear said:

Lemon ✔️

Salted Caramel

• Like 9
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Hroth said:
11 minutes ago, polybear said:

Lemon ✔️

Salted Caramel

Lemon - Tick

Salted Caramel - Very Big Tick.  I'll give a good home to any that isn't required elsewhere.  

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Lemon - Tick

Salted Caramel - Very Big Tick.  I'll give a good home to any that isn't required elsewhere.  

Welcome to the queue - though I suspect Brian has things "taken care of" 😢

• Like 10
  • Agree 2