The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

A fine morning though with some cloud and it feels very humid, consequently I ache and have hay fever.

Shortly I'll go to church and then probably have a walk.

Later I will do something though I don't yet know what and will also watch some golf.

David

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, NGT6 1315 said:

best as we can tell, he was not in pain or fear either.

I was so sorry to learn of your father in law’s passing.

• Agree 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well, there’s been no huge pile of fan letters so far today, but then the postman doesn’t normally get here until midday. So there’s plenty of time yet😝

My first task today is a quick visit to the big orange DIY shed, for another 3 lengths of timber. These were missed last week, as I thought my list was for 19 and as I already had 3, I just bought 16. I should have got 19 more, oops. Once back home and these are stored in the cellar, the plan is to plant out the few (5, I think this is a record low) plants we purchased yesterday. This afternoon Charlie is due to call round, so an afternoon in the workshop is on the cards. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. BIN day today, I may have mentioned that the binmen drop the recycling bags back on my doorstep after emptying them. This morning the food waste container was taken from the stoop and also emptied despite being only a quarter full, and it was returned to its usual place. Apparently this is all part of the service to elderly and/or disabled residents. Well done Basildon District Council.

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning,

Yesterday eyes scanned, answers answered but still more questions than answers ... it's a process of elimination apparently.

We visited a local supermarket for "a few bits" on the way home.     Credit card £140+ lighter and then we bought fuel.     Lucky we left the V12 at home and went in Freddie the Fiesta!   

Still, as someone reminded us before; there are no  pockets in shrouds.

Off to the GP Nurse shortly to check on the progress of a biopsy wound.   It was looking good last week apparently, all I know is the underlying element still blxxdy hurts!   

The thing with working for a living is you never have enough time to be ill.     The thing so far with retirement (which I love) is you never have any time because you are too busy attending medical appointments.  Oh well.

Anyway, @Coombe Barton not long to go now and enjoy it.      You will be permitted the odd smug grin when you keep thinking it's someone else's problem now! 😀

A ride may beckon on my return.

TTFN

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Beth does not need to be taken to the hospital.  That's good.  I've contacted a plumber

In England once upon a time barbers did surgery, so do French plumbers offer medical assistance as well. .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Following the assassination attempt on Donald Trump I was thinking how the British Royal family seem so relaxed at public events. No doubt their security is as good as any American presidential candidate (and hopefully better following recent events). However I can't see Trump or any other candidate going up to a crowd and shaking hands such as King Charles does.

• Like 3
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, PupCam said:

The thing so far with retirement (which I love) is you never have any time because you are too busy attending medical appointments.  Oh well.

And the medics seem to enjoy sticking tubes up every available orifice.👀

• Agree 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

more hay fever pills (Alevia - as recommended by Robert @Erichill16)which works well

Another vote for Allevia here.  

I recently swapped from Allocan and found an immediate improvement.  Allevia also targets Allergic Rhinitis from which I suffer all year and has produced an improvement there too.  As an important consideration it is not contra-indicated for any of my other medications.  I find it produces no side effects at all especially none of the drowsiness some antihistamines are known for.  

Dr. SWMBO has also started using it and reports a step-change for the better in her symptoms too.  

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

In England once upon a time barbers did surgery, so do French plumbers offer medical assistance as well. .

Hence the full name for their professional body is still the Royal College of Barber-Surgeons.  

That red and white pole we see out side many gent's hairdressers?  Back in the days before most folk could read and signs or symbols were more commonly understood this was widely used to indicate a barber-surgeon's premises.  It represents red blood curling down white skin.  

• Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It is raining here (between Scotland and Iceland). We are “going for a walk”. Fortunately around the promenade deck not overboard. 
We have a time zone change tonight. Iceland time is permanent GMT/UTC, no summertime or daylight saving. 

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

It represents red blood curling down white skin.

I always thought it was blood seeping through bandages.... 🤔

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 4

30 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

It represents red blood curling down white skin.  

I thought it represented blood (red) and bandages (white) - that seems to be the view of many historians.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

44 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Following the assassination attempt on Donald Trump I was thinking how the British Royal family seem so relaxed at public events. No doubt their security is as good as any American presidential candidate (and hopefully better following recent events). However I can't see Trump or any other candidate going up to a crowd and shaking hands such as King Charles does.

The thing about US presidential security, according to some commentators, is that the whole three-ring circus is less about security and more about the US showing everyone else who’s “top dog”.

Other world leaders, equally at risk from nutters, psychopaths and would-be assassins as the US president (in some cases, more so) have just as good and effective security as the US president without the bully boy tactics* and the over-the-top “security requirements”.

Let’s face it, when King Charles goes walk-about at Royal Ascot they don’t lock-down half of %#@#% Berkshire, do they.

* I have heard that the US Secret Service believe that it’s their divine right to take over every part of a nation’s police and security apparatus when the US President is in town. Collegial collaboration is definitely not their style…

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

' morning all from red dragon land.

Where's the yellow ball the pine cone pundits were supposed to be throwing our way, today? Not seen it.

Had a short sit out yesterday with a mugadecaf but the sun went in shortly after and too windy to think about trying to do a bit of weeding.

An early TOTF🎶 went surprisingly well. I played half the song with its twiddly bits the best ever. Still lots of work to do on it, though, but very encouraging.

Early lunch, today, so time to gerronwivit.

Be good. Take care. Look out for some sunshine!

Edited by southern42
missed out a word
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Theres no shortage of pics of President Obama working the crowds.

In Sydney   a protestor fired blanks and then rushed the stage at an Australia Day event attended by the then Prince Charles who  stood there with a  rabbit-in-the-headlights "what are my  peasants doing now, what?" look  on his face as the attacker was tackled by those including the NSW Premier at the time who was an ex Rugby League forward so had the necessary skills. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The thing about US presidential security, according to some commentators, is that the whole three-ring circus is less about security and more about the US showing everyone else who’s “top dog”.

Other world leaders, equally at risk from nutters, psychopaths and would-be assassins as the US president (in some cases, more so) have just as good and effective security as the US president without the bully boy tactics* and the over-the-top “security requirements”.

Let’s face it, when King Charles goes walk-about at Royal Ascot they don’t lock-down half of %#@#% Berkshire, do they.

* I have heard that the US Secret Service believe that it’s their divine right to take over every part of a nation’s police and security apparatus when the US President is in town. Collegial collaboration is definitely not their style…

Broadly speaking, in the  US executive power is retained  in the hands of the president in a way that it just isn't in most other countries leaders. For instance should the UK or Australian PM drop off the perch the cabinet can take over without too much of a problem but the US president really is like a Queen Bee in comparison and gets the security to match.

Hence why on 911 Pres Bush was sent off on Airforce One  to circle the place out of harms way. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Remember that His Majesty is supreme leader of the Church of England, meaning he is God's man on earth and protected by divine intervention. I am disappointed I have to explain that to a fellow Englishman. I myself remind the foreigners that are all around me of it at every opportunity, you can't argue with facts.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

Morning,

Yesterday eyes scanned, answers answered but still more questions than answers ... it's a process of elimination apparently.

We visited a local supermarket for "a few bits" on the way home.     Credit card £140+ lighter and then we bought fuel.     Lucky we left the V12 at home and went in Freddie the Fiesta!   

Still, as someone reminded us before; there are no  pockets in shrouds.

Off to the GP Nurse shortly to check on the progress of a biopsy wound.   It was looking good last week apparently, all I know is the underlying element still blxxdy hurts!   

The thing with working for a living is you never have enough time to be ill.     The thing so far with retirement (which I love) is you never have any time because you are too busy attending medical appointments.  Oh well.

Anyway, @Coombe Barton not long to go now and enjoy it.      You will be permitted the odd smug grin when you keep thinking it's someone else's problem now! 😀

A ride may beckon on my return.

TTFN

The problem with being ill when you’re retired is you don’t get paid for it ☹️

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3