The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I did a really big shop at Tess Coes this afternoon and now the fridge is bursting at the seams. The reason for the big shop is that I had a Clubcard double points coupon. When I receive one of those I purchase things such as cleaning items, clothes and other things that can be put away for later use.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 9

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, NGT6 1315 said:

Good day, folks...

Probably no easy way to put this but it looks like FiL won't be with us for much longer. Please stay safe and sound everyone and give your loved ones a hug soonest, because you never know...

Dom, sorry to hear that. Lots of positive thoughts sent to all concerned.

Baz

• Agree 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Good evening everyone 

A great day out was had, although getting to the right car park was a bit of a bu99er, due to poor signage. Despite all that, we enjoyed ourselves. I was interviewed by a reporter from the BBC Northwest news team, which ended up being broadcast! Fame at last 🤩! I just hope the postman can manage all the fan mail that I’ll be getting 🤣

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Dom, Sorry to hear about your FiL 

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 4

23 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

The more I look at it the worse it seems to get, incompetence doesn't begin to do the failings justice.

Nonsense. That candidate has an enormous level of protection - as a former president more than a candidate - not to mention his children and his grandchildren.

I will stipulate that allowing a shooter on the roof of the shed was, at best, very unprofessional. Arguably the local police may well have done, barely and luckily, enough to distract the shooter. Any speaker, in the open, is vulnerable to an expert sniper within an exceptionally long range.

No one knows what level of protection was negotiated by the campaign. A news anchor (who was part of the Clinton campaign) talked about how the campaign staff negotiates what sort of access versus protection tradeoffs (like the bulletproof glass cage you can see used for the speech on the morning of January 6 while the candidate was actually still the president - where the Secret Service will insist) is provided.

We don't know if the campaign insisted that he not be 'shielded' from his audience. The campaign picked the fairground. The security detail probably didn't have the ability to say "no".

The level of security for the incumbent is vastly higher.

There certainly have been assassination attempts on candidates before - TR (as a former president in 1912) and FDR (as president-elect 1933) and of course RFK (1968), but these are rare. It raises the question of how much security and how much say the campaign has in the amount of security.

This episode will raise the question about whether candidates deserve the same level of protection afforded the incumbent. They don't. They are not the president. They don't get Air Force One. They don't get 'the beast'. etc.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium

If a shooter takes a headshot which is within millimeters of killing the target then protection has failed. That might happen with a trained sniper at extreme range and not reflect on the civil service but for a kid to get into position to take a shot from 150m is a massive failure. The target wasn't protected by a couple of bodyguards,  there were counter sniper teams deployed and given the targets politically polarising affect and the toxic political culture he was an assassination attempt waiting to happen.  I saw a TV interview with the head of the secret service in which said the roof in question was left unmanned because it was too steep which is risible and just begs more questions. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

3 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

If a shooter takes a headshot which is within millimeters of killing the target then protection has failed. That might happen with a trained sniper at extreme range and not reflect on the civil service but for a kid to get into position to take a shot from 150m is a massive failure. The target wasn't protected by a couple of bodyguards,  there were counter sniper teams deployed and given the targets politically polarising affect and the toxic political culture he was an assassination attempt waiting to happen.

Yes.  No argument.

Candidates don't get presidential-level security. Should they is the question.

The other question is whether the security detail can overrule what the campaign wants and does - like choosing an open fairground as the location - rather than a more securable place like an indoor stadium - probably not available in rural PA where the voters were.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Barry O said:

Could it be another problem as in.. not enough skilled people or compan8es unwilling to pay for materials as the ROI is not greater than 10%?

Plus people not being able to afford them.

14 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

If a shooter takes a headshot which is within millimetres of killing the target then protection has failed. That might happen with a trained sniper at extreme range and not reflect on the civil service but for a kid to get into position to take a shot from 150m is a massive failure. The target wasn't protected by a couple of bodyguards,  there were counter sniper teams deployed and given the targets politically polarising affect and the toxic political culture he was an assassination attempt waiting to happen.  I saw a TV interview with the head of the secret service in which said the roof in question was left unmanned because it was too steep which is risible and just begs more questions. 

And it gets worse:

Wyoming Senator John Barrasso said the Secret Service told them they had spotted the attacker one hour before the attack, but then lost sight of him.

“He was identified as a character of suspicion because [he had] a rangefinder as well as a backpack. And this was over an hour before the shooting actually occurred,” he told Fox News.

“So, you would think over the course of that hour, you shouldn't lose sight of the individual."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c51ydg792ggo

• Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Excitement for today includes a delivery from The Big River....will they ring the bell or won't they.....

My Deltics are on a "covert dump n' scarper approach"

BG

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 7

16 minutes ago, polybear said:

Wyoming Senator John Barrasso

We don't do politics here.

Do you know who this person is and whether you consider him a reliable source on this topic? And to which news service this "report" was delivered?

Hint: It wasn't the BBC. 

We appear to be in the "Monday morning quarterbacking" phase.  If candidates should be better protected then their security detail needs to able to tell the campaign - "no country fairgrounds". 

There simply aren't enough agents for the level of protection needed for that location.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a Sunny Charente.  It got to about 28 yesterday and 32 is forecast today. The Trampoline is up and anchored down. 

Last night the electricity tripped again and wouldn't reset reliably.  I spent a few minutes turning off all the circuit breakers in turn and eventually found that the culprit was our rather old water heater.  I suspect that we may well need a new one,  we have hard water and they do fur up badly.  The wallet may well say ouch and we don't have a water heater.  I hope that I can get someone to see to it today. 

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Time to amble down to the Marie Celeste.. hopefully I will be back later..

Baz

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

If candidates should be better protected then their security detail needs to able to tell the campaign - "no country fairgrounds". 

I'm reminded of the evidence of Cassidy Hutchinson at the January 6th enquiry where she said that Trump  wanted the metal detectors at his  "Stop The Steal" rally  turned off  because he apparently reckoned that  if any of his supporters DID have guns they wouldn't be intending to  use them on him.

Perhaps the same kind of "logic" was used on the weekend by the campaign when it came to any reports given to them  by the Secret Service or police of someone wandering around with a gun, especially given Pennsylvania is an open carry state ( I believe?). 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, 

A better night's sleep, 2 hours plus 5 hours.

Just reviewed the tide table for regatta week, it's neep tides so less quantity, but the actual timing will be quite interesting. Must remember to print it out to take with me.

PSX_20240718_065812.jpg.291e4f98de8f5febfe2dd07ef8ea8b4a.jpg

The current weather forecast looks good, but there still a long way to go.

Pill time expired so breaky has been made.

The MRC has a stall at the Stalham Street Fair on sunday, must remember to take my folding high stool , 5 hours on my feet would otherwise be painful. The forecast is too windy for BM to sail, so I won't be missing sailing.

Keeping  the gazebo we will be under in place might be interesting.

Half hour and it'll be time to depart for the MRC for shelving part 2..

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Just reviewed the tide table for regatta week, it's neep tides so less quantity

No tatties?  🤔

Sorry, it just jumped out at me!

• Funny 14