The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, polybear said:

First Beary Mission of the Day will prove to be truly monumental - and may even appear on the TV News.  Certain fellow ER'ers need to brace themselves......

Oooh ooh! Let me guess!  Are you gluing yourself to Nelsons Column to protest the continued reliance on oil?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Funny 14

1 hour ago, BoD said:

Scrolling through maps on the iPad is fine for re-walking walks and prompting memories but there is something strangely satisfying about unfolding a paper OS map.

Folding it up again is a different matter though I reckon.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a dank, damp rock, a mere 14c as we bake...err.....slop in 'summer' weather.  Never known a June/July so wet and crepe.  Climate change yes, global warming, apparently not here.

The moron that wants to build houses on our local beach by concreting it over is having another try, my mate Geoff ran the protest over it last time, looks like we need another batch of stickers and posters. Sheesh, it'll never get finished of he did get permission, they want to build a marina using the money from the houses to fund it, but we all know what will happen the houses will get built then he'll f off with the rest of the money from them. Pah indeed.  Not that he's got any funding in the first place.....humph.

ION Not sure there is any, a day of pottering in the garage is predicted.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Guess what, it’s raining again, although it does seem to be stopping. As it’s Thursday and Sheila’s Zumba teacher is back from her holiday, Sheila is off to her class this morning, chauffeuring services will be required. After I’ve dropped her off at the church hall, I’ll call and pick up a RM before heading back home to fit the roof rack. Once that’s done, I’ll head off to the local DIY shop and get some more plywood cut. More wood for the layout baseboards, this will be for the storage area. 

After dinner Charlie is due to call round, I’m hoping he’ll be wanting to go to the workshop today, as it’s been over 4 weeks since he last did any model making. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, from a dank, damp rock, a mere 14c as we bake...err.....slop in 'summer' weather.  Never known a June/July so wet and crepe.  Climate change yes, global warming, apparently not here.

The moron that wants to build houses on our local beach by concreting it over is having another try, my mate Geoff ran the protest over it last time, looks like we need another batch of stickers and posters. Sheesh, it'll never get finished of he did get permission, they want to build a marina using the money from the houses to fund it, but we all know what will happen the houses will get built then he'll f off with the rest of the money from them. Pah indeed.  Not that he's got any funding in the first place.....humph.

ION Not sure there is any, a day of pottering in the garage is predicted.

Oh can't they class it as a 'grey field' site. That's what there doing over here. I'm not quite certain what a 'grey field' site is to be honest- somewhere between a 'green field and a brown field' one I suppose i.e only had one house built on it rather than a satanic mill.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I attended a swearing in ceremony for British citizenship for those that had qualified.. (it was swmbo's, brothers wife who was qualified)

One of those attended had no clue what was going on, didn't speak English at all, and he had a friend who was prompting him.

Mooring Awl,

5 hours sleep 1.5 hours sleep.

I have a suitcase full of os maps, sadly not used these days, the oldest ( between the wars)  is one of my grandfathers printed on linen of eastern Wiltshire and western Hampshire.

The youngest is the Norfolk Broads map, which is it's self is over 20 years old.

Oh and some reprints of local 1st edition maps.

Plans for today,

Go to the and paint skirting boards, 304mm to the foot scale.

Go to a big shed for a sheet of ply, for purposes unmentionable.

Time to finish this muggacoffee.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

... The visa long forms have always been fun:

Have you ever committed a crime of moral turpitude?

Were you ever a member of the NSDAP?*

* Spelled in the customary way - but I'm not putting that word here.

And I remember one which was something like: Have you ever been a member of a terrorist organisation or committed acts of terrorism? 

Reminded me of the Blackadder 4 spyhunt episode lines - "Are you a German spy"? ... "If it was me, I'd own up..."

Edited by The White Rabbit
lost a bit
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I attended a swearing in ceremony for British citizenship for those that had qualified.

One of those attended had no clue what was going on, didn't speak English at all, and he had a friend who was prompting him.

Very, very wrong indeed.....

A Buddy of Bear's was Plod for a lot of years and they had calls to (IIRC) Wood Green Driving Test Centre pretty much EVERY DAY because the Test Centre had identified someone who was taking a Driving Test for someone else.  For some strange reason it almost always seemed to be the same ethnic minority....I'll leave it there....

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, polybear said:

And Bear's "Special Mission" seems to be going to plan...

Does it involve Freddie Fan-oven?

• Like 7
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

We have a test too.  Essential knowledge should be "When bitten by a snake do you A) run around screaming         B) suck out the poison        C) apply tourniquet

and so on but they aren't its airey fariy stuff about rights.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/test-and-interview/prepare-for-test/practice-test-new

Bear just got 90%.....

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear just got 90%.....

Congratulations, you get through to round 2 of essential Australian citizenship requirement - catching a huntsman on your ceiling.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit late this morning as a neighbour came round to sort out my front garden (the weeds were almost as high as the fence). The brambles got another dose of weedkiller which should work as long as the rain holds off, keeping an eye on it.

ION For the footie fans there is a ballot of tickets for watching the Euro cup final live at the O2 on Sunday and it's FREE!

https://www.london.gov.uk/programmes-strategies/sport/major-sports-events-london/euro-2024-final-screening

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear just got 90%.....

Well I got 100%. All you have to do is watch a few episodes of “Bluey” and the rest is easy. I wouldn’t qualify on other grounds though, too old, not having a desirable profession, not sporty. Fine with spiders though. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon all from Exeter Services. I am about half-way in distance to Sussex though not quite in time as slower roads lie ahead 

The service station seems to be full of very under-dressed young folk heading to Newquay.

Am I going the wrong way?  

• Like 7
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Good afternoon all from Exeter Services. I am about half-way in distance to Sussex though not quite in time as slower roads lie ahead 

The service station seems to be full of very under-dressed young folk heading to Newquay.

Am I going the wrong way?  

If you need to ask then obviously not.....

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Bear has just been, well, a naughty Bear.....

Something is now on it's way to Bear Towers that has eight big round things, two smaller things (all made in Romford, apparently....) and something called an "RG4".  Oops.

ION....

Din Dins today was.....a Dr. Oetkers Margherita Pizza....

With chips?  Nope.

CF?  Nope.

Hash Browns?  Nope

Wedges?  Nope.

Smiley Faces?  Nope.

- but carrots & cauliflower, so two of Bear's five-a-day.  So maybe iD will cut a Bear a little slack on that one....

BG

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2