The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, polybear said:

Well both kits gave double red lines after all - but the "Test" (T) Line on both old & new is fainter than it was this morning.  Could this mean the Wooflu is finally buggerin' off at long last? 

If it takes that long then there isn't much virus left to react with the stick.  

Who knows how many "negative" tests have been recorded, officially reported and otherwise, as a result of the user not waiting as long as was required and perhaps assuming that after 2 - 3 minutes a single red line meant they were fine?  

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

My father used to love tripe but unfortunately it got to be rarer than hens teeth.

In the shops.  Due to lack of interest.  There is still a lot of it wasted from abattoirs I'm sure unless there is another use for it.   

In other news the cat is snoring loudly.  I might need to fit him with a silencer! 

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, polybear said:

not a nice way to treat people (in particular those where the birth was in Oz):

Being born here in the UK hasn’t meant you were a citizen since 1982. The UK government has rescinded citizenship for people born here, who have even had British passports. Foreign citizens working here and paying tax here now have to pay an NHS surcharge, even those working for the NHS. Living and working anywhere you are not a citizen or have permanent right of residence can get complicated. The Australian authorities don’t have to worry, I am sure they think they can easily get another couple of young workers without an expensive to treat child.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

... but was somewhat softened by the "gravy".  That was very thin yellow-brown, greasy liquid which might have had an Oxo cube partially dissolved into a gallon of luke-warm water on a good day.  ...

(My amends in italics). That was gravy at our primary school. I thought it was disgusting and it put me off gravy for about ten years until I had lunch with someone whose mother was a good Yorkshire cook and il D would probably have liked to talk with. I had a spoonful and was hooked. These days I do my own, preferably from [fresh] meat juices though that does depend on - to quote a certain rabbit over to the west of all three of us - what's cooking, doc... 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

In the shops.  Due to lack of interest.  There is still a lot of it wasted from abattoirs I'm sure unless there is another use for it.   

In other news the cat is snoring loudly.  I might need to fit him with a silencer! 

The cat is snoring due to a surfeit of tripe.  Most of these "waste'" materials end up in pet food.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

If it takes that long then there isn't much virus left to react with the stick.  

Who knows how many "negative" tests have been recorded, officially reported and otherwise, as a result of the user not waiting as long as was required and perhaps assuming that after 2 - 3 minutes a single red line meant they were fine?  

Bear does it exactly as per the instructions - even to the extent of using good 'ol Alexa to do the timings.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, polybear said:

This story was on the TV news at lunchtime - not a nice way to treat people (in particular those where the birth was in Oz):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cyr70ezev2mo

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Being born here in the UK hasn’t meant you were a citizen since 1982. The UK government has rescinded citizenship for people born here, who have even had British passports. Foreign citizens working here and paying tax here now have to pay an NHS surcharge, even those working for the NHS. Living and working anywhere you are not a citizen or have permanent right of residence can get complicated. The Australian authorities don’t have to worry, I am sure they think they can easily get another couple of young workers without an expensive to treat child.  

Most countries treat immigrants in a way congruent with the term "second-class class citizens" (except of course it is misleading since, unless they are naturalized) they are not citizens.

This is certainly true of the US, the UK (as Tony outlines) and Australia. (Pretty much anywhere I expect.) I'm sure some of our post-B***** expatriates in continental Europe could offer colour on EU countries as well.

It quickly becomes a political discussion. People born in the US (for the most part) do have rights as citizens (look up the term jus soli) but I shan't expand further.

I am an Australian, and once held an Australian Medicare card. No longer being resident in Australia, a hospital that treated me determined that I was ineligible for coverage under Australian Medicare guidelines and needed to pay the full freight on the bill.

(I could have made a claim with my insurer, but he bill was less than a comparable bill in the US and just paid it.)

It helps to be both a citizen and a resident when medical benefits are the topic.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium

Ah the 5 books in the Trilogy that is The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Evening Awl,

Stomach was doing summersaults all day so decided an omelet was a good idea, it seems to have settled my stomach and SWMBO was happy as we hadn't had one in some time.

I'm reading a book called Betty's war, it's the edited diary of Betty , I didn't know it at the time of purchase, but it's based in Norfolk and mentions places and events i know of. The names have been changed, but if I were interested it wouldn't take much effort to find out the real Betty, cooking at a big house in Norfolk for government ministers and military personnel is not a secret any more. That and helping at a pub used by Coltishall airmen.

She herself was a retired actress, and stage seamstress, she mentions stars my dad will have met during WW2 as grandma looked after ENSA personnel appearing at Aldershot.

And another coincidence, earlier to day I mentioned home made ginger beer, tonight I turned over the page to find she's making ginger beer..

At the MRC tonight started making preparations for bridge building, then I noticed something at a board edge, the celotex had a strange shape to it.. then I realised... Those barsteward rats had been having a nibble.. hopefully they've consumed some of the glass fiber embedded in celotex...

Much pollyfillering in the Marsh.

One good thing from a bad event, a late club members books have arrived at the club, so I have purchased  one, it just happens to have a map and photos of the site that will be modelled on the unit of unmentionables mentioned earlier.

Muggachoccy gone goodnight Awl.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon/evening all from Estuary-Land. I didn't realise it was so late, I've been busy with other things and taking some eyelid inspection. Now to catch up on RMweb and Farcebook.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well,  didn’t go to buy any wood, it was raining too much and the wood would need to be lashed to the roof rack. Not only would the wood have gotten wet, so would I. Instead, I shredded a stack of old receipts and bills etc. I also got round to test a new loco I bought a couple of weeks ago, very nice it is too. 

After dinner, Vidal Baboons exclusive hair boutique opened for business and I had my ears lowered. We also heard from Vickie, she told us that Ava won be coming over tomorrow, as she has some sort of bug and she do want us to get it. It’s a shame, as we’ll miss seeing her, but it’s probably for the best.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, polybear said:

This story was on the TV news at lunchtime - not a nice way to treat people (in particular those where the birth was in Oz):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cyr70ezev2mo

More often than not once the publicity gets out there the minister grants them an exemption - its a bad look kicking sick kiddies out!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-08/aneesh-family-get-visa-stay-after-andrew-giles-intervenes/102070108

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

The cat is snoring due to a surfeit of tripe.  Most of these "waste'" materials end up in pet food.

That may be the case but he only gets dry food (Royal Canin Savour Exigent) which is about all he will happily eat being a Fussy Feline Friend.  Dry food also means fewer if any squishy accidents on the floor.  That was more important when we had carpets but would still be messy to clean off the board floors we now have.  

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Attitudes and arguments on immigration are remarkably consistent around the world in my experience. Particularly when it comes to accessing government services or government subsidised services like healthcare and education. And it gets incendiary when it comes to foreigners stealing 'our' jobs and if they don't share the ethno-religeous characteristics of the majority. 

Singapore is no different.  Few native Singaporean people want to do hard manual labour (who would in this climate?), they want cheap maids to do all the housework and as a high value economy need to attract people for some roles yet many Singaporeans blame migrant workers for stealing their jobs. They have a tiered system, the manual labourers from South Asia, Myanmar and other places are treated pretty badly really.

Another issue is demographics, many developed countries have aging populations and low birthrate, yet there seems to be little coherent or rational thought about what to do about it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, TheQ said:

With military cooking especially during WW2, I'm not surprised..

Dad said that it was still the civilian crew from before the war.

Last question: Is it true that tripe was the inspiration for bubble wrap?

• Like 6
  • Funny 8

4 minutes ago, BR60103 said:

Last question: Is it true that tripe was the inspiration for bubble wrap?

Not according to this.

Two engineers, Alfred Fielding and Marc Chavannes, invented the bubble wrap accidentally from a failed experiment. They were trying to create textured wallpaper but got the outcome in plastic sheets with air in between. They tried different marketing efforts to make their creation visible to the general public, but they didn’t get any reasonable response.

After three years of their creation, a company named Sealed Air decided to use their plastic wallpaper as a protective packaging material and named their plastic wallpaper Bubble Wrap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Attitudes and arguments on immigration are remarkably consistent around the world in my experience. Particularly when it comes to accessing government services or government subsidised services like healthcare and education.

A recent US administration made immigrants who are declared a "public charge" liable for deportation / "inadmissibility". (This is essentially a similar sort of thing as the Australian policy highlighted in the BBC article linked earlier.) 

The actual definition of "public charge" and to whom it might apply, is very unclear. It was enough to make me not seek unemployment benefits or accept government healthcare assistance during the pandemic.

• Friendly/supportive 16

Yet another United Airlines aircraft threw a shoe, this time at LAX. "Who throws a shoe? Honestly!"

CNN: United Airlines plane loses wheel on takeoff in Los Angeles, marking latest incident for the airline

This one didn't drop onto a rental car parking area.  As it bounced across the airfield:

“A tire came off that 75 that took off, we saw it rolling down past bravo seven, bravo eight,” said the crew of Allegiant 2388.

Another pilot radioed the wheel had finally stopped near the airport’s southwest corner, about three-quarters of a mile from where it was first seen rolling away.

"Past bravo seven, bravo eight", immediately made me think of:

Flight 209, now arriving gate eight, gate nine, gate ten

Gate thirteen, gate fourteen, gate fifteen

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

We had a meal out with the family this evening. For dessert, I had cinnamon bun cheesecake. Well, some cinnamon bun cheesecake - those who hadn’t been confident enough to order it themselves all wanted to try some of mine.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Where is @grandadbob?

Off for an eye check up first thing.. pah!

Butvthecrain has stopped.. yippppppeeeeedddddoooo!

YoungestvHerbertbisboff to the great Yorkshire Show.. the whole group are off in a couple of 4 by 4s to make sure they can get onto the car park then back off again later.

Time for me to drink my tea!

Have a good day.

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Good moaning from a slightly damp Charente.  Off shortly to do an extended tip run.  Our stuff is in the trailer but en route I'm helping a mate out by loading his old three piece suite on top then we are both going to unload it.   Such fun this retirement. 

No 2 son and his other half will also be at the Great Yorkshire Show. 

Regards to all and of course Sundry. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16