The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I've just come across my very first Barclaycard statement.

I'd spent £36.94 and my credit limit was £200.

Such a long time ago, but I can remember what it was for, a stereo cassette tape recorder with twin vu meters. Technology, eh?

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

I don't know what to make of your recent adventures in Bali @jjb1970. First of all, you showed a distressing lack of preparation and foresight by not filling your luggage with tins of baked beans, loaves of sliced white and a portable toaster;. Not only that, but  instead of  doing what any sensible Brit would do – find a decent pizzeria and only eat there - you only had to go and eat all that foreign muck the natives eat.

I really think you're letting down the side here. The fact that you didn't come down with food poisoning after having your wallet emptied by unscrupulous local so-called restauranteurs is a minor miracle..

Clearly your employer needs to recall you to Blighty and put you through a mandatory "how to behave like a true Briton when in foreign climes" training course....

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Still testing positive for the Wooflu (as of ten minutes ago) so shopping for LDC is a no-no.....😢

Couldn't you stop outside the Co-op and then using an extremely long cane with a note on the end  saying here's a fiver can I have some LDC pretty please.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Couldn't you stop outside the Co-op and then using an extremely long cane with a note on the end  saying here's a fiver can I have some LDC pretty please.

I think the Co-op deliver nowadays. Probably some sort of minimum order though. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Round here the coop deliver using a small 6 wheeled "robot:.. quite fun to watch.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The supermarkets usually use 100 litre boxes for home delivery. I don't think that even @polybear could manage 100 litres of LDC.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

The supermarkets usually use 100 litre

They aren’t always full though. 

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I wonder if we should take a flask with us when we are out and about in Iceland.

Nice to have. I like the double insulated ones - even though they are heavier*. You can choose ice water or something warm and they do a great job of maintaining the temperature. I usually go with ice water. It takes a long time for the ice to melt - long enough to top them off with water and still have it cold.

* The metal ones are so much sturdier than the old inner glass 'thermos'. I have a fitted over the shoulder sling for mine so I don't have to 'carry' it.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I remember seeing tripe on display in butchers windows, but never had to encounter the stuff on the plate.  The best description of tripe however, is that of the tripe shops in "The Road to Wigan Pier" by George Orwell. The bit about a piece of tripe on display with a black thumbprint in one corner.....

Black Pudding?  Totally different!

Edited by Hroth
pressed the wrong button, and finger stuttter...
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I remember seeing tripe on display in butchers windows, but never had to encounter the stuff on the plate. 

I remember tripe (unfortunately). Once meat finally came off the ration, we never saw tripe again.

As kids, my wife and her siblings used to call tripe “boiled nappies”.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Oh that it were so simple.

Colours missed  orange and yellow

https://www.vinatis.com/56339-orange-gold-vin-orange-biologique-2021-gerard-bertrand?r=bing_fr&ids=smart-shopping&msclkid=63422b391fb61672f7004db528a9f21a

https://www.vinatis.com/57293-cotes-du-jura-vin-jaune-2016-domaine-badoz?r=bing_fr&ids=smart-shopping&msclkid=dcd3df564dd1168b48cfb9da7aa823a1

(and  yes they are orange and yellow coloured)

Dry or sweet

flat, petillant or fizzy  (methode champapnoise or added CO2)

The choices, the choices.

There is an excellent orange Cognac liqueur called Mandarin Napoleon. Dispensed liberally by the 93 Yr old Belgian widow in the village whatever hour of the day you call. 

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a sunny Charente.  Much G word got done yesterday and the hedge and lawns look better. Today is shopping morning and tripe will not be on the list.  The only time that I have eaten it was at the Box Tree in Ilkley where it was a sort of signature dish. 

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

The only time that I have eaten it was at the Box Tree in Ilkley where it was a sort of signature dish. 

Tripe is part of a 'classic' Mexican soup called 'menudo' (not the boy band). Haven't had that though.

I remember my mum preparing tripe. I don't remember my reaction but I'm pretty sure I was scared off for life. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

A friend was buying stuff for Bear in the Co-op yesterday when a guy came in, nicked a load of stuff then walked out with it.  Five minutes later he came back and went for Round 2......

7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Bear's local used to (I never used it) but when I looked a few days ago they'd stopped doing it.  Every time I was in the store it seemed that the preparation of orders was diverting staff away from "normal" duties - like watching for shop lifters......

7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The supermarkets usually use 100 litre boxes for home delivery. I don't think that even @polybear could manage 100 litres of LDC.

Sounds great with a bit of Custard....

• Like 14

What a load of utter tripe 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sorry, I couldn’t resist 😯

Tripe is certainly one offal type that is a challenge - both to prepare and (if not prepared properly) to eat.

Most countries (certainly in Europe) have tripe recipes - dating from the time when the rich b#ggers snaffled the best cuts leaving the tough bits (such as shin) and offal to “the poorer classes”. Unlike liver, heart, kidney, sweetbreads and brain, tripe is rather tricky to get “right”. Very few can do so (even amongst the pros), so it’s no wonder tripe is rarely found nowadays.

Of course, the French being The French, have turned tripe into sausages: the andouille and the andouillette. Definitely an acquired taste as, when I tried them, they had - to my taste - an ammoniacal taste and smell.

For me, one of my favourite offal dishes is Haggis (traditionally sheep’s heart, liver and lungs); believed by many to be purely Scottish in origin - though Wikipedia disputes that.

A bit of culinary trivia: “to eat humble pie” means to face humiliation and subsequently apologize for a serious mistake, yet Humble Pie (or more correctly Umble Pie) was a once much prized dish made from Deer Umbles (offal) other meats and spices.

I wouldn’t mind giving Umble Pie a go, starting with Venison Haggis (for the Deer offal) and going from there. It should be fairly straightforward to make and I reckon it’d be right tasty, especially served with a parsnip mash and washed down with a decent mead or a “small beer”

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

First Mission on today's list is, yes, you've guessed it....another Wooflu test.....

After that a Certain Bear is rather looking forward to getting back to the muddlin' bench - I have a gearbox installation to fight with.......Round 24 I think....

BG

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12

55 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

There is an excellent orange Cognac liqueur called Mandarin Napoleon. Dispensed liberally by the 93 Yr old Belgian widow in the village whatever hour of the day you call. 

Jamie

That was one bottle in my Dad's drink cabinet that was safe from a teenage Lurker. Even then, I did not like orange-flavoured anything (although I will happily eat oranges themselves). My Dad rarely touched the stuff so it was not until one Christmas when he realised quite how much of his drambuie I had consumed...!

• Like 10
  • Funny 7

19 minutes ago, polybear said:

A friend was buying stuff for Bear in the Co-op yesterday when a guy came in, nicked a load of stuff then walked out with it.  Five minutes later he came back and went for Round 2......

C’mon PB, be realistic. The Plod have far better things to do than nick shoplifters - like tracking down those horrible criminals that use the “wrong” pronouns, finding the miscreants who are sceptical about the current “cause of the month” and arresting those who call others rude names on soshull meeja.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Early pill taken, still waiting though 

Mum used to cook tripe, very good it was too, definitely not as chewy as others describe. Stopped cooking it when we moved to the Hebrides  as it wasn't available.

5 hours ago, BR60103 said:

On foreign food:

In WW2 my father went over to Blighty on a troop ship that was a peacetime liner.  One of the troops was a "big Ontario farmboy" who had resolved that he was not going to be intimidated by anything that other nations considered edible.

One day lunch was tripe.  Most of the Canadians took one look and decided to wait for dinner.  This fellow cut a piece and started in on it.   After working on his first mouthful for a long time he declared, "It's no use fellas; the more you chew it, the bigger it gets."

With military cooking especially during WW2, I'm not surprised..

Mooring Awl,

5 hours sleep, short awake, 2 hours asleep good for me,

Forepaws not happy with the low air pressure and soggyness. Puddles are to maximum out there. With further soggyness forecast the only outside work will be to unload the landrover. Oh and..

The scaffolding tower appeared yesterday, though the house of strong ladies still says due by 10th July.

Need to find a home for it, away from the gates.  Being aluminium being outside doesn't matter.

Time is up breaky time.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

True but the other purpose was use of the hire car.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1