The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, pH said:

And the Falkirk Wheel and a stretch of the Antonine Wall about 5 miles west of them.

The parallel bits of metal in Bo'ness  are called the Bo'ness and Kinneil railway. "Kinneil" means end of the wall, it's about 400 yards from my parents house to the Antoine wall start/ end.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BoD said:
2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Green Grocer?

but what about all the red, yellow, orange, purple and white stuff?

Yes.  Let's not be too specific about this.  Arguments over the application of rainbows bug our society and antisocial media as it is.  The term in English is "Greengrocer" when vegetables are involved.  Most are (or were, as the term is almost obsolete these days) also "Fruiterers" selling fruit alongside the veg.  And then there's the argument about which side of the divide a tomato sits.  Among others.  Because it has internal seeds and therefore is correctly a fruit not a vegetable.  As is a cucumber.  And a marrow, a courgette and some other "vegetables".  

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, TheQ said:

The parallel bits of metal in Bo'ness  are called the Bo'ness and Kinneil railway. "Kinneil" means end of the wall, it's about 400 yards from my parents house to the Antoine wall start/ end.

One end of the wall is quite near Bo'ness.  

The other is Far Kinneil 

😂

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Yes.  Let's not be too specific about this.  Arguments over the application of rainbows bug our society and antisocial media as it is.  The term in English is "Greengrocer" when vegetables are involved.  Most are (or were, as the term is almost obsolete these days) also "Fruiterers" selling fruit alongside the veg.  And then there's the argument about which side of the divide a tomato sits.  Among others.  Because it has internal seeds and therefore is correctly a fruit not a vegetable.  As is a cucumber.  And a marrow, a courgette and some other "vegetables".  

And rhubarb is a vegetable not a fruit.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

And a fig is a flower - or rather the case for the internally facing flowers.

And full of bits of fig wasp too....

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

A long day yesterday at the junior Herbert's alternative stag do drinks.. a tour of pubs and bars in Horsforth.

Early awake as I had a bloodiest booked at 8 am. Marie Celeste still had the door locked at 08:06. HCA emptied my arm of blood then a nice walk home.

IMG-20240708-WA0000.jpeg.116a86260d162651dbaea8c6ec25ea31.jpeg

then a bit of fencing was painted. Got to paint the drive gates then... bring on the wedding!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Strewth.

I’ll just stick to the wine.

It’s white, red or pinkish.

With no pips inside or outside.

Much easier.

• Like 15
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Barry O said:

had a bloodiest

Mine was when the one in my femoral artery was removed…

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl, knackered I is.

Went to boat, removed more carpet from the outside of the toilet wall, then spent some time removing staples, more to do, I got bored with it. Sorted project wood that was on board, off cuts and unneeded deposited in dinghy.

Filled bin bag with rubbish and bits of carpet deposited in dinghy,

Now had access to other bollard, let the blood run out of my arms for a considerable time, while removing the old nuts then adding biggg washers, and new self locking nuts.

Then up top put lots of Sealant beneath the bollard, then back below, and do the nuts up tight. Went back on top to remove the squeeze out.

Rowed first lot of stuff to landrover and returned

Moved more stuff around the boat, then did a general clean up, filling another half bin bag of rubbish, mostly old packaging that got soggy when the boat sank.

Removed one pair of curtains, brought home for SWMBO she's going to make an out of season set, and a summer set. One set home means 8 curtains to make, eventually, 24 curtains will be made, they are all about 18 inches deep, and vary between 2 and 4 ft long.

To BQ, piled trolley up, got intercepted by a " trade point" person, got invited to get a trade point card even though I'm retired. So I did and got an immediate 5% discount... 

The wire mesh , 6 mm squares, I wanted was in short supply, I wanted 3, 1M wide rolls, and 3, 0.5 wide rolls. All they had were 2 0.5M rolls.

On the way back , A organ donor pulled out from behind a car, on his motorcycle into the path of the landrover, only by clipping the grass verge with the tyres of the landrover did he not make an immediate donation.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Bear here.....

Well the hire car did arrive - eventually.....

I'd almost given up hope when I heard the drawbridge rattle, followed by a knock on the Portcullis.  There's now an almost-new (1200 miles) Citroen C3 sitting on the drive of Bear Towers; whether or not I'll actually need to drive it remains to be seen, however.

I did get some muddlin' done this afternoon after all - however my limited knowledge 😲 of filthy words has proved to be a disadvantage, so I've asked "Sir" for some advice......

ION.....

I have some things for sale on the 'bay at the moment - one of which has had a bid; I decided to get in front of the curve and pack it now, ready for when the auction finishes.  That's a Tick.

BG

Edited by polybear
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

Well the hire car did arrive - eventually.....

I'd almost given up hope when I heard the drawbridge rattle, followed by a knock on the Portcullis.  There's now an almost-new (1200 miles) Citroen C3 sitting on the drive of Bear Towers; whether or not I'll actually need to drive it remains to be seen, however.

I did get some muddlin' done this afternoon after all - however my limited knowledge 😲 of filthy words has proved to be a disadvantage, so I've asked "Sir" for some advice......

ION.....

I have some things for sale on the 'bay at the moment - one of which has had a bid; I decided to get in front of the curve and pack it now, ready for when the auction finishes.  That's a Tick.

BG

Just go for a little drive for the fun of it.  For example, get some LDC!

• Like 12
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Just go for a little drive for the fun of it.  For example, get some LDC!

Still testing positive for the Wooflu (as of ten minutes ago) so shopping for LDC is a no-no.....😢

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Evening all

After this morning’s flurry of activity I thought why stop?
 Attack some of the garden furniture - something else which has been on the tuit list for a while.  

Check weather forecast.

Clear until tomorrow, great.

Do the sanding down and apply first few brush strokes.

Rain.

Various curses cursed.

Anyway, tomorrow sees our three year old grandson coming to look after us for the day. I should get a chance to relax and take it easy after today’s exertions. Not.

Anyone seen @grandadbob?  I know Saturday was a very intense rugby day but it’s been a while.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BoD said:

Strewth.

I’ll just stick to the wine.

It’s white, red or pinkish.

With no pips inside or outside.

Much easier.

Oh that it were so simple.

Colours missed  orange and yellow

https://www.vinatis.com/56339-orange-gold-vin-orange-biologique-2021-gerard-bertrand?r=bing_fr&ids=smart-shopping&msclkid=63422b391fb61672f7004db528a9f21a

https://www.vinatis.com/57293-cotes-du-jura-vin-jaune-2016-domaine-badoz?r=bing_fr&ids=smart-shopping&msclkid=dcd3df564dd1168b48cfb9da7aa823a1

(and  yes they are orange and yellow coloured)

Dry or sweet

flat, petillant or fizzy  (methode champapnoise or added CO2)

The choices, the choices.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, polybear said:

Still testing positive for the Wooflu (as of ten minutes ago) so shopping for LDC is a no-no.....😢

Sorry, forgot about the lurgy.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, polybear said:

I'd be inclined to phone (or email) the Manufacturer in order to query that.

I will be contacting them once I can find the label that we took the number from just to triple check that it is the correct one. I thought that the label was peeled off the boiler and  placed inside one of the booklets but cant find the relevant page or was it another booklet.

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

A pleasant morning spent chatting with a visiting friend (the friend of Robert 'Erichill') as he delivered some brackets for me to rebuild my garden railway with, then the sunny day dissolved into good and proper rain, but very localised. 

Sunny and 20c in the Bright Lights of Royal Ramsey just 4 1/2 miles away, 15c here and pleuting fit to bust.  Pah.  Still, after lunch it became a pleasant sunny afternoon so I pottered on in the way we do. 

I have now run out of excuses to not start rebuilding the railway. Wonder when I'll start.....

Out early doors tomorrow keeping a neighbour friend company with a big road trip -  yes, all the way south to Castletown.  Flasks and tartan blankets stuff.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

thought that the label was peeled off the boiler

The peeled off label on our boiler went in the  owner booklet but there is still a copy of the serial number (and a barcode) on the top of the boiler. Ours is a Vaillant. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Tonights dinner a couple of hours ago was bangers and mash and very nice it was too. Now to get up into the spare room to dig out a couple of display shelves that I'm donating to SEERS.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Flasks and tartan blankets stuff.

I wonder if we should take a flask with us when we are out and about in Iceland. In sunny climes we take water. The friend we had lunch with on Friday remembered her trip to Iceland one summer and her water bottle froze overnight. But she was camping not staying on a big ship. 
Tony

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

27 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I have now run out of excuses to not start rebuilding the railway. Wonder when I'll start.....

As you know he’s very obliging chap and am sure if you’d had asked he’d help you get started!

• Like 9
  • Agree 1