The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit dull this morning but dry (at the moment). Had a good nights sleep last night, at least six hours. Yet even more washing to go on, it seems never ending then some shopping to do. 

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

On the way back picking up various stuff from the big orange shed including wire mesh to stop rats getting into the muddling shed. With the harvest due soon I need to get that done quickly.

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Connecting it to the mains (or even better 3-ph) could be fun....when the lights flicker during Corrie you'll know that "Ol' Sparkie" has scored yet another victim.  You could even start stencilling Ratty symbols on the shed door for each one claimed.....

I haven't seen any rats since the foxes moved in.  

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

I wonder what Insurance Companies make of such incidents - will they pay out?

I wondered too and did some Google searching. Most replies were about flood water damage but I found a RAC webpage about summer motoring. Answer is “it depends”. Leaving you car somewhere where there is a known risk could invalidate your insurance, as it isn’t really accidental damage. 
I noticed in Dave’s article that the car had been unloading jet skis. I can’t believe all jet ski users are dim but when we have been in port on cruises I have seen some silly behaviour from jet ski riders, one of the less well thought out was a large group of them trying to get close to HMS Queen Elizabeth in Halifax harbour. I saw similar silly behaviour in New York from assorted vessels trying to approach Queen Mary 2 .

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, PupCam said:

You are just trying to show me up!   

A bit like my so-called model flying "chums" who keep asking me if the Triplane is finished yet.      There's no need to keep on asking every year  "Have you done anything on it yet?"  😬 

And just how is that choo choo that Puppers has been building for, er, ratheralottayears?  You know the one - that Puppers promised "Sir" he'd bring along next time....and even went as far a buying a set of wheels for.....

ION....

Bear has just purchased a Baking Tin for "The Great Beary Challenge" with iD.  Game on......

And I've also heard from The Plod regarding the H&R Scrote:

"Thank you for your email.

This is an ongoing investigation so I am unable to advise at this time.

As soon as we have concluded this case you will be notified by letter"

Oh good......😁

Washing done - Tick.

Muddlin' stuff still to order.....

Hire Car still to arrive (promised by 1pm).

Oh look, din dins time.....

BG

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

At least it sank close to shore and didn't float off into the north sea to be come

a shipping hazard .    

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I noticed in Dave’s article that the car had been unloading jet skis. I can’t believe all jet ski users are dim but ....

Not just jet skis , seems a lot of people lack any idea about launching and reloading boats ,

the number that use a pick up truck to attempt to pull a loaded trailer up a wet slime coverd

ramp is amazing .  For those with 20 minutes to spare have a look at this . It is the USA's boat

masters at their best .

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I watched the Guy Martin programme last night on the recovery of the remains of 3 British airman from the crash site of their Pathfinder Lancaster ED603 which was returning from a raid on Germany in 1943.  The aircraft was shot down over the Ijsselmeer in the Netherlands and was resting in approx 4-5m of water IIRC.       It appears that the Dutch have allocated ~£50M  to find, recover the remains of and then provide a final resting place for lost British airman involved in the struggle for their country.  The population and authorities regard it as their duty to do so to re-pay the debt they believe they owe to those who engaged the enemy with a view to ultimately liberating them.     This particular recovery involved building a Lancaster sized Coffer dam, pumping the water out and excavating the silt.    The Coffer dam was built using barges and cranes and huge steel piles.   As is typical in these programmes Guy "helped" albeit in a very token manner!     The surviving families and descendants were given the opportunity to visit the scene and take part in a small service.   The whole operation cost ~£1.5M (make a note of that figure).    

I found it to be a fascinating and poignant programme and I am in awe of the Dutch people's sense of duty and loyalty - well done them and well worth watching IMHO.

A most enjoyable and informative programme.  I agree the title was mainly to draw in viewers, as he had very much a presenting role; the "Dead Reckoning Navigation on a Tractor" segment was entertaining and informative and didn't detract from the serious aspects of the programme.  I'd say that the programme was made with due regard to the sensitivities of the families and descendants, and didn't parade the recovered remains for cheap thrills.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, polybear said:

And just how is that choo choo that Puppers has been building for, er, ratheralottayears?  You know the one - that Puppers promised "Sir" he'd bring along next time....and even went as far a buying a set of wheels for.....

Now, what was the word?    Ah, yes I remember.

Bitch! 🤪

Anyway, I did finish it but unfortunately the dog ate it 

• Funny 17

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Yet another Wooflu test has been carried out....and another fail.  Poo.  That means Bear still has the lurgy at Day 7 (possibly Day 8); the good news is I discovered a box of tests (of the "just up yer snoogle type") in the cupboard that I didn't realise I had - which has saved me three LDC's - that's definitely a Big Tick.

But only if they are still valid. Many test reagents have a limited lifespan and when expired can lead to either a false positive (the test says you have it, but you don’t) or a false negative (the test says you don’t have it, but you do) result. Whether or not a false positive or a false negative is problematic depends upon the disease or condition. With CoVID-19 a false negative is most certainly bad news (for others).

This link will tell you all you need to know: https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/how-long-after-i-get-covid-19-will-i-test-negative

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all

I was an ER again and after the usual paper/puzzles  etc I went to a local veg and fruit place* to pick up some fresh ingredients for tonight and tomorrow night’s evening meals. I won’t say what I am making lest I be accused of cultural appropriation. Whilst out I booked an appointment to get the lugs de-waxed and the car, which has developed an unexplained rattle, checked out.  Not necessarily at the same place you understand.

After that I painted the back gate, both sides and the picky bits round about. Told you I was an ER.  It is warm(ish) and sunny here with a light breeze so the paint is drying  very quickly.  I have been meaning to do this for a while now but this is the first opportunity where the weather has offered a suitable window for some time.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

* is it still called a fruiterer when it sells veg too?  Life is full of such conundrums.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

While I was finishing off the rose pruning, Aditi suggested I might like to cut the front lawn. We would normally do it just before we go on holiday but I think it may be raining between now and when we set off at the weekend. 
Tony

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

But only if they are still valid. Many test reagents have a limited lifespan and when expired can lead to either a false positive (the test says you have it, but you don’t) or a false negative (the test says you don’t have it, but you do) result. Whether or not a false positive or a false negative is problematic depends upon the disease or condition. With CoVID-19 a false negative is most certainly bad news (for others).

This link will tell you all you need to know: https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/how-long-after-i-get-covid-19-will-i-test-negative

Thanks Doc; as to whether or not I get the all-clear to be able to do any work at the Warehouse this week remains to be seen - I'm being very cautious about it because Nurses from the In-Patient Unit are regular visitors/based upstairs at the Warehouse (which is more correctly known as Head Office).  Even if the tests do say "yes" (i.e. negative) for this week I'll wear a medical grade face mask just to be sure.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

1 hour ago, PupCam said:  

I found it to be a fascinating and poignant programme and I am in awe of the Dutch people's sense of duty and loyalty - well done them and well worth watching IMHO.

Visited the cemetery at   Oesterbeek (Arnhem) in search of a great uncles grave. The setting was absolutely immaculate with flowers on every grave. Very moving and found what what I was looking for straight away. 
https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2644277/maurice-batty/

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Well it seems that Mickey will be finished by Wednesday - this week (parts permitting)  As for the hire car, well apparently they were on their way but a tyre warning light illuminated, suggesting a puncture....

So now they're off to get another car from a different branch and "should be with me by 4pm".  Well at this rate it'll get parked on the drive for a couple of days without ever getting used, and then collected again.....

Do I care?  Nope - I'm not paying the Bill......

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

But that is the middle of Winter. I think Aditi is now planning for our trip to Iceland to be a bit like that though! But without trains.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, polybear said:

So now they're off to get another car from a different branch

I was once going to have a hire car supplied by Enterprise while my Freelander was having a fault (duff starter motor) sorted. The car (a large Audi) was delivered to the Land Rover dealer and I rejected it as a quite large piece of tyre sidewall was flapping about. We had to go to the Enterprise depot, a Portacabin in Chelmsford. They had nothing in the type of car that Land Rover Rescue had ordered but I just wanted to go home and had a little Hyundai. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:
4 hours ago, polybear said:

I wondered too and did some Google searching. Most replies were about flood water damage but I found a RAC webpage about summer motoring. Answer is “it depends”. Leaving you car somewhere where there is a known risk could invalidate your insurance, as it isn’t really accidental damage. 

It absolutely depends upon individual circumstances. 

Broadly speaking and without prejudice if you suffer loss because:-

a. you drive your vehicle through floodwater which has risen from ground level - covered

b. you drive your vehicle through a watercourse which is higher than normal such as a flooded ford - not covered

c. leave your vehicle unattended in a place normally used for parking and it is damaged by rising flood waters - probably covered

d. leave your vehicle unattended in a place which might or is known to be subject to flooding - probably not covered

e. leave or drive your vehicle into a position where it is affected by tides (such as the ice-cream van which floated off Harlyn Beach earlier) - not covered.

The logic being that if you unavoidably drive through standing water or runoff or cannot reasonably stop before the hazard and come to a stand within the water you have collided with water; the loss is treated by most insurers as accidental damage though some may consider it to be flood damage.

If you intentionally drive through a water-course or water running across the road but had the option to stop beforehand that is flood-water run-off and such damage is not normally covered.

The rest come under reasonable care of your property; failure to take due care will invalidate any claim.  

Each policy differs; each insurer differs.  Please check that you have the cover you want and if in doubt ask someone where you can.  Some policies and some insurers only offer online policy management and at the best a "chat-bot" for customer service.  You get what you pay for in most cases.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Green Grocer?

but what about all the red, yellow, orange, purple and white stuff?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I am safely ensconced back at home in Singapore after a most splendid week in Bali.

We flew Air Asia, an Asian LCC with operating units in several countries,  the flights we took were Air Asia Indonesia.  Although it was basic no frills transport the flights were on time, spotlessly clean and it was pleasant enough. For a shortish flight it was fine, upgrading to Singapore Airlines economy would have quadrupled the price. Is Singapore Airlines better? Yes. Is it four times the price better for economy? No. 

Bali airport showed the benefits of the Indonesian approach to life. The line for Indonesian passports was shorter than for foreign passports both entering and leaving and I was told to just use the local line seeing as I was with three family members with local passports. We almost walked through.

Great food in Bali, especially the pork. They have some great chicken dishes too. Bali is quite distinct from Java thanks to the local Hindu culture, which extends to the food.

Thinking of Monkeysarefun, a few locals were very negative about Russian's and Ukrainians, blaming them for all the ills of the island, running prostitute and drugs gangs etc. How much is perception and how much of it is merited I really don't know. For such views to take root there needs to be some basis in reality otherwise peopledismiss them as nonsense, but things can also be exaggerated. Apparently they like the Chinese as they spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$s and are generally well behaved if aloof. 

Back to work tomorrow.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

The cutlery got cleaned, it didn't take long and it has been well rinsed.  The sink was then thoroughly cleaned to remove any traces of the liquid used as it can damage the surface of stainless steel and stain it.

The house has been well cleaned then as the sun was still shining I made some sandwiches, along with a small fruit pie and the all important can of Coke and went out. I decided to head north to look at Ladyburn Lake, which is on the land side of the dunes at the mid part of Druridge Bay.  On the way I had to slow down as there were some fire engines and police cars at the side of the road, it looked as though either a building or a car had been on fire at the roadside behind some trees.  As usual it was quiet at the lake, only four other cars were there, there were a few more at the far end by the cafe.  I had lunch and  a walk and then continued on my way, on the spur of the moment I decided to stop at Amble rather then go further north.  Amble is a fishing port, at one time it exported coal but now it is busy with fishing boats and yachts.  

So I had a very pleasant amble around Amble harbour. had a look at the " shopping pods", the wet fish shop and the pie and cheese shop and decided to go back one day when I have planned what I want to buy - it only takes about 30 minutes to get there.  I then had a walk along the pier and looked out to sea at Coquet Island.

The drive home was easy, in a few minutes I will have a simple salad before settling down for the evening with a good book.  A few photos below, there may be more tomorrow once they are all sorted out.

sBSC_8838DruruidgeBayCountryPark.jpg.be4d37f413b199ece6c84588b0b6ae3c.jpg

Ladyburn Lake Druridge Bay Country Park  Thye sea is just beyond the trees in the middle of the photo.

sBSC_8842DruruidgeBayCountryPark.jpg.57176990bf84eac056b7fdcdbb80ca92.jpg

Ladyburn Lake Druridge Bay Country Park.  No motorboats are allowed

sBSC_8843Amble.jpg.525b79bf8d6771ac5aa23870e7b52790.jpg

Shopping pods by the harbour at Amble

sBSC_8844Amble.jpg.285a0fffb1e030a90d9b1e10ad7813f4.jpg

Amble harbour looking towards the sea

sBSC_8845Amble.jpg.600c01d616b849d48a4b09fff322dd5f.jpg

Provider moving up Amble harbour

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19