The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, PupCam said:

What?  This one?  

Go on you know you want to.     

That's the one....it just so happens that A Certain Bear had a TS50ER in yellow....

You're a bad Pup......

9 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I think he was relieving himself.......

Number 1 or 2?

9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I wasn't aware of any whining, pleading, wangling, dealing or other means by which to obtain the accolade by those who didn't make it.  

Ah yes, but that was back when Teachers were still allowed to chuck Board Rubbers at you.  It all started to go downhill when some do-gooders decided that wasn't allowed anymore.

• Like 13
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Has  your previous  "I'm not going to stick anything in the  clouds because people will do something or other with it" attitude been modified somewhat now?🤨

Bitch.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

All these whiny, entitled, I've-paid-for-it-so-you'll-give-me-a-pass (ahem) "students" are going to get a VERY rude (and possibly painful) awakening when they get out into the real world.

Ignoring for the moment the fact that I would never hire such whinging muppets, were any such foisted on me, they wouldn't make it past elevenses on the first day.

One of the joys of a) being my own boss and b) working past retirement age is that I don't have to be NICE any longer. With no HR to worry about and with the benefit of being a curmudgeonly, cynical, very experienced old git, I can be as blunt and forthright as I wish and, (as I am not a complete monster*) I can do so diplomatically (if I deem it appropriate).

There is also the added bonus of being (somewhat), erudite and very well read - which means I have a facility with language so that I can tell someone that they are complete ********** and have them nod in agreement

* some, like PB, may beg to differ.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

A fine bright morning, about 12°C, it will become more cloudy with showers later.  The wind is from the west, about Force 5 gusting to 7 or 8.  I think it is a good day not to go far.

I will go to church, then I will either see if the barber is working today or may have a quick look at the beach.  Later I shall probably watch the Tour de France.

I was looking at the BBC web site earlier, their news page doesn't have the box to click for local news today - presumably there isn't any.

David

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I sometimes wonder how today's students would have coped with the course at Manchester I did in 1968-71.  It was Joint Honours in Botany and Zoology which meant that we 2/3 of the Botany degree lectures plus 2/3 of all the Zoology lectures.  That meant 3  lectures every morning.  Four afternoons a week had practicals from 2-5 (or when you finished, it was sometimes around 9p.m. or later).  Then you added in seminars and tutorials.  We also had to do a Chemistry course in the first year, 3 lectures and one practical a week.

Once or twice a month there would be a field trip on a Saturday plus two residential field trips a year in the vacations.

The good bit was we had exams at the end of the first year, then finals at the end of the third year, nothing in Year 2.   We had to do essays for tutorials and write up practicals but they did not count towards the final degree.  There was no continuous asessment at all.

It did mean we actually learnt stuff.

There was still plenty of time to do all the other usual student activities of the time - sailing, church stuff, discos, etc etc.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

There is also the added bonus of being (somewhat), erudite and very well read - which means I have a facility with language so that I can tell someone that they are complete ********** in several languages and have them nod in agreement

I suspect I have corrected it for you.

• Like 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

There’s something rather pathetic (as in pathos) about an empty, uninhabited and perfectly preserved house. Such lovely buildings should be lived in, not turned into sterile dolls houses.

Of course, invidious taxation combined with a rather badly thought through rush to “modernise” in the 50s, 60s and 70s has meant that the UK has lost far too many beautiful public and private buildings - despite the best efforts of people like Sir John Betjeman. And what’s left is at the mercy of the conflicting interests (and conflicting ignorances) of council planning departments, “heritage” organisations, wide-boy developers and egotistical architects.

It's interesting to see different countries approach to old buildings. In Germany for instance when I visited the Black Forest there were several castles that had been rebuilt and some are even lived in whereas here in the UK they are left as ruins. Italy has the best approach where you can buy a property for one Euro and as long as you rebuild it and restore some features you can add modern features. The UK approach is to preserve it in aspic, even if the house is lived in you can't fit modern features.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A very windy, but bright day here in England’s northwest corner, the current temperature is only 12C, not what you’d expect for July! There is no Zumba today as Sheila teacher is on holiday, however, Sheila is going to meet up with some of her Zumba friends for a coffee, so my chauffeuring services are still required. There is also a change to the routine today, as the boiler is being serviced tomorrow morning, so I’m going to the Trafford Centre after I’ve dropped Sheila off at the cafe. The butchers will be visited tomorrow, after the service engineer has finished and left. Hopefully, Charlie will be calling round this afternoon, so that’s something to look forward to. 

Back later.

Brian. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

so that’s something to look forward to. 

I think the only event here is a delivery of food items, any time now. Perhaps afterwards we will go for a walk somewhere as it is a very pleasant day. It is really quiet her this morning. The men working on next doors new block paving have finished with diggers, cutters and compactors and are laying pavers by hand now. They seem to be perfectionists, no just chucking  them down!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

RMweb is really playing up this morning. I've made two posts this morning on ER's, both quoting a post from a previous page. Each time when I finished I pressed the return button but all that happened is the page faded out and the arrow just went round in circles. To get back to the page I wanted I had to open a new tab and delete the old one, twice.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Cloudy with sunny spells.  When I went out to collect my prescription for the next 8 weeks, it was 15c.  The roads were relatively quiet, no lemmings in evidence, I think the local school must be posing as a polling station today!

More worrying is that there is an ambulance outside a house on the opposite side of the road.

Edited by Hroth
typo correction
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

With no HR to worry about and with the benefit of being a curmudgeonly, cynical, very experienced old git, I can be as blunt and forthright as I wish and, (as I am not a complete monster*) I can do so diplomatically (if I deem it appropriate).

As if Bear would......😁

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

RMweb is really playing up this morning. I've made two posts this morning on ER's, both quoting a post from a previous page. Each time when I finished I pressed the return button but all that happened is the page faded out and the arrow just went round in circles. To get back to the page I wanted I had to open a new tab and delete the old one, twice.

Not just ER, TNM has started occasionally doing the page-hiccup thing too.

Edited by Hroth
qualifier
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Slept like a log last night with no interuptions. Just the stiff joints locking up overnight made it slow progress getting up. It must have been quite chilly last night as the towel-rail/radiator was warm to the touch this morning. Now to put the washing on, be back later.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

44 minutes ago, DaveF said:

There was still plenty of time to do all the other usual student activities of the time - sailing, church stuff, discos, etc etc.

David

Wot! No boozin' or "getting acquainted with the ladies"?

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Amongst fellow ER'ers who did the University/Degree thingummy It'd be interesting to know just how many actually went into careers that required/used that qualification, or went into something completely different instead?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold

'ello again from Much Complaining In The Hip And Knees.  We've walked about a mile and a quarter to make our marks on paper and that was far enough.   It was downhill part of the way, the only problem with that is that it was uphill coming back.  En route met a couple of neighbours doing the same thing so stopped for a chat but have made it back for a muggatea.   Once I've had that I'll hobble down to The Shed and power up the toys for a while.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Hroth said:

More worrying is that there is an ambulance outside a house on the opposite side of the road.

And its still there...

I know that one of the occupants has some sort of illness and is probably bed-ridden, but the emergency ambulance has been there for over an hour.

39 minutes ago, polybear said:

Amongst fellow ER'ers who did the University/Degree thingummy It'd be interesting to know just how many actually went into careers that required/used that qualification, or went into something completely different instead?

I worked for a while in an occupation that required my BSc(Hons) degree. Later I did an MSc*, but that had no appreciable affect on my subsequent career trajectory (No names, no pack drill).

* I always mentally translate that as MSC (Manchester Ship Canal), a long muddy ditch with little purpose nowadays...

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

For my career an appropriate degree was a vocational requirememt to become a teacher. Though I did change from teaching science subjects to computing and IT. I did end up teaching on technical and vocational courses. 
Tony

• Like 14