The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Prior to the Victorian voting reformations women did have the vote, well those that were single did. Most constituencies were limited by a property qualification, those that owned property of a certain value in a constituency could vote. In some areas that was quite low, so the local middle classes could vote, others it was high so only a lord could vote. In others like old Sarum , no one much lived there so it was also down to a couple of voters.

So a spinster or a female widower, who owned their own property could vote. A married woman's property belonged to her husband, so she couldn't vote. Victorian expansions of the popular vote, removed the right of women to vote at all.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Spot the election proper gander 🤣

Additional scarf colours are available.  

Screenshot2024-07-03at17_13_48.png.ed50ff2b413ae4df267b2839bd9018d6.png

Will the goose Vote for Christmas?

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Mrs NHN used to work for the Intervention Board, which administrated those butter mountains and wine lakes, back in the EU days - remember the EU?  She worked in dairy, and could decipher bar codes with a glance, and usually tell you country and dairy of origin.  Scary.

Great ride by Mark Cavendish in the TdF, who despite being Manx, the BBC could only describe as British, in the 6 news. Pah. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

15 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Great ride by Mark Cavendish in the TdF, who despite being Manx, the BBC could only describe as British, in the 6 news. Pah.

C'mon @New Haven Neil you're NOT expecting any news service ANYWHERE to actually be capable of factual reporting are you?!?!?!? 🤣🤣🤣

Yello...HUMP day, well, not really as I have decided to do a half-day today, July 4th. public holiday tomorrow and taking Friday off just because I can.

This is NOT POLITICAL, simply  statement of facts;

Seems ironic that tomorrow is a celebration of NOT being ruled by a King, whilst the highest court of the land just announced the leader can act as a king now!

We'll attend a neighbors annual July 4th. BBQ/party tomorrow - I'll find a fitting shirt to wear, this is coming up tops at present

UK-Tee.jpg.183d779682d54d43fd1a836eb563abff.jpg

Good for a discussion without being rude 😉

The rest of the days, no specific plans YET, except we are planning to go to the lake cabin Sunday if the weather behaves.

Carry on.

• Like 14
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

He has been a British champion, and world champion when riding for the British team (several times for each across the disciplines), so I'd suggest you might feel able to cut them a little slack in this case.

That's it for tonight from me, off to watch the recording of the full stage (I didn't dare to watch, I've got a superstition about watching certain events where I hope far a specific winner) and celebrate his win and new record.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

... I surmise that they don’t have much of a clue that getting a degree requires work to gain the knowledge.

Come on! They’ve paid for the course - surely that entitles them to a degree at the end of it?

(My son was a university junior lecturer here before he moved on to other things.)

Edited by pH
  • Like 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Now just tapping some keys on the laptop for a while before getting ready to go out for a meal.  I keep looking at their menu online but can't decide what I'm having.   

You can't go wrong with Pizza**, Curly Fries & LDC.....

(**OK, most of the time......)

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 11

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, pH said:

Come on! They’ve paid for the course - surely that entitles them to a degree at the end of it?

That's what they think, but they are far from correct.

The work ethic seems largely absent from some.

Edited by Coombe Barton
Typoman escaped
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Stuff sold on the 'bay all packed and ready to go; a bluddygreatbox is due to be collected by Herpes sometime tomorrow - and two small ones will be collected by a Neighbour/Friend in the morning and taken to Postie Pat's Office.  The good news is the last remaining item I have on the 'bay now has a bidder - meaning the three items that are linked with Harry the Honda will raise a little over a ton, which effectively bring's Harry's sale price up to what I was trying to get out of the guy who said he'll have it, so that's a Tick.

Mickey is due to be collected by Mr (or Mrs) Fixit on Monday, with a Hire Car delivered to Bear Towers the same day; originally the Fixit's were offering to collect this Friday - until Bear mentioned the WooFlu, at which point they bumped it back to Monday, which is fine by this Bear.

Now then, who understands these Izzy the iPhone Jobbies?  Bear tried to transfer a load of Lisbon holiday piccies & video onto Larry the Laptop yesterday evening (about 400 files) and somehow it seems to have gone wrong - I seem to have lost about 50% somehow.  Rattin' Piggin' Turdycurses.

Not in Larry's Recycle Bin, nor in Izzy's "Recently Deleted"/"Hidden" utilities thingies either.  I can only think I somehow shifted 'em across to a location on Larry - but where?

And no, the "iCloud" backup thingummybob" wasn't enabled either.  It is now - though I've no idea how to access anything in it.  Puppeeeeeeerz.........

Bear gone.....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

There's a nice looking yellow Suzuki TS250ER on the 'bay....

No, I mustn't.......

ION.....

Whilst reading the latest edition of Bike magazine I learnt that Spanish Bike Racers are banned by their own Race Federation from racing at the TT - if they want to then they have to get a race licence from "someone else".

Edited by polybear
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, polybear said:

No, I mustn't.......

Urg, horrid things.  One came in to the dealers where Mrs NHN worked back in the day so we bought it, turned out to be 'rather' basic in feel.  It didn't go in the wet either, the sparks travelled everywhere but to the plug.  Quite scary in the dark, looked like a tesla coil experiment.  it got moved on very quickly.  It's replacement was a Onda XL250R, now that was a bike worth re-visiting.  Then a stolen recovered MTX200R came in, so got that to rebuild....cripes that went like stink!  Happy days.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just taken a bit of eyelid inspection and I feel a lot better for it. Only problem is that I laid on the bed just after eating dinner and now I have heartburn. BIN day tomorrow so I've got to put them out, recycling only this week so not too much to put out.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, polybear said:

Whilst reading the latest edition of Bike magazine I learnt that Spanish Bike Racers are banned by their own Race Federation from racing at the TT - if they want to then they have to get a race licence from "someone else".

There are some who do, such is the attraction.  There are also a fair number of Spanish registered bikes here TT fortnight.  Plus millions of French and Germans, or so it seems.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

C'mon @New Haven Neil you're NOT expecting any news service ANYWHERE to actually be capable of factual reporting are you?!?!?!? 🤣🤣🤣

Would be corrected if he  were to happen  to be involved in a drugs test scandal whereby he would be magically returned to his place of origin by the same BBC news reports.

FOr confirmation, see Old War Documentaries, where during victorious  moments Canadians, Australians, Indians NZers etc are referred to as "British" forces.  In ignominious episodes of defeat (eg Dieppe )  they become Canadians etc.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

but where?

If you run  Microsoft Photos I think it searches for content. Just as I like a photo app it gets discontinued or changed so much I can’t use it. All my photos are on OneDrive and BTcloud now.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

No, I mustn't.......

What?  This one?  

Go on you know you want to.     

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

Oh dear.

20240620_1305071.jpg.b29856dfb8a6846dc73d3912daaa6b0a.jpg

As Donk is on the green has he just played a shot and the bowl is now out of shot?    

I do hope so, I'd hate it if he got into trouble for blatantly disobeying orders!

• Like 3
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PupCam said:

What?  This one?  

Go on you know you want to.     

Ours was red, but otherwise identical.  it felt like an old Francis-Hairnet with a Piatti eeze-seize engine compared to the MTX.

• Friendly/supportive 10