The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear "may" have had some Pizza whilst in Lisbon (purely for scientific purposes you understand....) - one of which was, well, quite frankly CR@P and most definitely an offence under the trade descriptions act 🤬.

Sad, very sad. All the way to Lisbon just to eat pizza. Coulda stayed at home with a sunlamp, a few boxes Dr Oetker’s pizza and saved £££££ 🤣

I’ve never seen the point of travelling long distances only to avoid the local food.

One would have thought that if one wasn’t both a bona-fide and an  omnivore, one would research the food culture?

Let’s face it, not liking tinned baked beans AT ALL it would be kinda stupid of me to travel all the way to the Republic of Bearystan (national flag: two tins of baked beans on a green background) and then find out ONLY when I’ve arrived in that local food consists of baked beans at each and every meal.

It would then be even more stupid for me to complain that the locals are making little or effort to accommodate my dietary “needs” of Champagne and Caviar, with me not knowng (or worse not caring) that neither alcohol (like champagne) or seafood (like caviar) are an acceptable part of Bearystan culinary culture…

1 hour ago, polybear said:

As for @iL Dottore's rule never to eat in any restaurant that gives the menu in both local language as well as english - good luck with that one in Lisbon. 

That’s true of any place infested (and I use that word deliberately) by cut-rate tourists and the instagram addled cruise ship inmates. In many places, like Lisbon and Venice, locals are starting to realise that AirBnB and cruise ships cause more damage than benefit. So anything truly authentic and local - prized by the locals - is both off the beaten path and kept well below the mass tourist radar horizon.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I’ve never seen the point of travelling long distances only to avoid the local food.

There are other reasons to travel in addition to eating. The local,cuisine in Iceland isn’t the reason we are going. We would like to see the puffins, whales and sharks not eat them. 

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 3

1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

There are other reasons to travel in addition to eating. The local,cuisine in Iceland isn’t the reason we are going. We would like to see the puffins, whales and sharks not eat them. 

Local food is all part of the experience. For some it’s the lesser part, for others an equal part of the experience - up there with museums, sights and attractions. For the travelling Gastronaut, local food could be the major part of the experience.

Furthermore, in many countries food is a far more important part of the national culture than it is in the UK (in the UK, booze rather than food is the cultural unifier and “going down the pub” still a major part of UK life) and it is by eating local and with the locals that you can immerse yourself further into the environment you are visiting

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

Never thought about choosing a holiday destination on the basis of the local cuisine. 
When we went to Antarctica with Hurtigruten most meals featured reindeer which I believe is only to be found (alive) in the northern hemisphere.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Sad, very sad. All the way to Lisbon just to eat pizza. Coulda stayed at home with a sunlamp, a few boxes Dr Oetker’s pizza and saved £££££ 🤣

One would have thought that if one wasn’t both a bona-fide and an  omnivore, one would research the food culture?

Let’s face it, not liking tinned baked beans AT ALL it would be kinda stupid of me to travel all the way to the Republic of Bearystan (national flag: two tins of baked beans on a green background) and then find out ONLY when I’ve arrived in that local food consists of baked beans at each and every meal.

It would then be even more stupid for me to complain that the locals are making little or effort to accommodate my dietary “needs” of Champagne and Caviar, with me not knowng (or worse not caring) that neither alcohol (like champagne) or seafood (like caviar) are an acceptable part of Bearystan culinary culture…

That’s true of any place infested (and I use that word deliberately) by cut-rate tourists and the instagram addled cruise ship inmates. In many places, like Lisbon and Venice, locals are starting to realise that AirBnB and cruise ships cause more damage than benefit. So anything truly authentic and local - prized by the locals - is both off the beaten path and kept well below the mass tourist radar horizon.

Bear isn't a great meat eater, and fish/seafood (with an odd, rare exception) is definitely off the list so this does kinda limit Bear's options somewhat.  There was one or two local dishes I did have (a soup was one of them); others included a Veggie Burger and also a Lasagne, both of which I suspect that iD may accuse of being "not local cuisine".....

They did taste rather good though, so that's a Tick in this Bear's Scoff Book.....😁

In my defence I did sample one or two dozen Pastel de Nata - and you don't get much more authentic than that.....

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Absolutely. 

I would love to see a volcano in eruption but have no desire to barbecue my reindeer steak upon it. 

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

A very fresh cloudy morning after last night's rain.  If it doesn't warm up soon I'll need a thick sweater and the heating back on.

I had an e mail from a bank I use yesterday saying they are closing the local branch, it will be only about 7 miles to the nearest one.  I'll be honest, the only time I go to the branch is when I receive a cheque which won't pay in the with app, usually when the cheque writer has not made out the cheque exactlty as instructed with my name correct.  It is still a nuisance not havng a local branch though. I may open an account with the bank which says it will not close any branches until at least 2028.

Shortly I shall be visiting the dentist for a routine hygiene session, then I expect to work on yesterday's photos.  It is too wet again to do much in the garden.

David

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

We've had some overnight rain, but that had stopped by the time I was up and dressed. It was sunny a few minutes ago,  it now looks like it could chuckitdarn at any moment. My first job of the day is to have a look at the motorised valve on the hot water heating system as I think it’s stuck! After that, I’m not sure, but the weather may make my mind up. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Good morning all,

Late today, I didn't get up until 08.05, disgusting state of affairs!  

Grey skies here and it looks like we had some rain earlier, a few spots at the moment with more to come and it's breezy.  15°C rising to 20°C.

Nicki and friends were due to take off from Palma a few minutes ago but the flight seems to be delayed, not surprised at that. 

Some admin work needs doing and then I'll probably watch some cycling and to see if Cav can pull it out of the bag this time. 

Tonight we're off out for a meal, some friends gave us a gift voucher for a local eatery for our birthdays last year and we've only just got around to using it.  Looking forward to that.

Time is moving on, I'd best be about it.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I couldn't help thinking these signs on opposite sides of the road slightly incongruous.....

20240703_154050.jpg

20240703_153435.jpg

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Appalling misogyny.

The same rule is also applied in orthodox synagogues.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. It was pouring down early this morning so the G word is out. Plenty to do indoors though. Had an announcement this morning that tomorrows garden railway opening is cancelled, 'due to illness'. I do hope it's nothing serious, the owner is well into his eighties but seems as fit as a fiddle. Which reminds me about an item on BBC breakfast this morning. There is another England soccer team due to play an international match, to qualify for the team you have to be 75 years or older. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The same rule is also applied in orthodox synagogues.

I just found the contrast between the religious puritanical attitude and permissive culture of what seems to be a rather raunchy club facing eachother across the street rather odd.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

By the way,  Am I the only one seeing a large Banner add at the top of the page?   

I've paid good money to make those go away!

image.png.3a713a5e48936f0780609cd740fcb4cd.png

Edited by PupCam
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

Admin stuff done, mainly counting tokens and placing some in another account to deal with upcoming expenditure.

Russ from next door popped in for a brief chat and to thank me for watering his garden whilst he was away.  Mustn't forget I've got another garden to tend for the next couple of weeks.  We've had a couple of spots of rain, I'm hoping we get quite a bit more later on which will then save me a task.

Nicki's flight was 31 minutes late taking off but only expected to be 11 minutes late landing so that's not too bad.  Apparently she's caught a cold whilst away, I hope it's nothing worse.

The Boss is preparing lunch and then I'll probably settle down and watch some bicycling.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, PupCam said:

There, sorted the formatting error of your post.   And you didn't even make very special Beary arrangements to bring a few back for Puppers!

Bear would've liked nothing better - sadly extensive enquiries all confirmed that "There lies food poisoning" if not scoffed in 24 hours or so.

However, and if it's any consolation, Bear did think that "Yum yum...Puppers would really....yum yum...like....yum yum....these rather....scoff scoff scoff.....a lot....."  😁

9 minutes ago, PupCam said:

BTW I hope you get shot of Virgil the Virus PDQ.

Thanks Puppers - and may your exploits with our good 'ol NHS go well.....

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

The joys of ironing accomplished - that's a Tick.

Then it was packing up a Motorcycle Luggage Rack that's just been sold on the 'bay - fortunately I'd kept the original box it arrived in 39 years ago, so I reckon that's worth another Tick.

Din dins scoffed - only soup and a slice of bread today ☹️ as I need to get back on the straight n' narrow again.

Right, two more items to pack ready for posting - but I s'pose I'd better phone Mickey's fixit team first....

BG

• Like 14

32 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Admin stuff done, mainly counting tokens and placing some in another account to deal with upcoming expenditure.

Russ from next door popped in for a brief chat and to thank me for watering his garden whilst he was away.  Mustn't forget I've got another garden to tend for the next couple of weeks.  We've had a couple of spots of rain, I'm hoping we get quite a bit more later on which will then save me a task.

Nicki's flight was 31 minutes late taking off but only expected to be 11 minutes late landing so that's not too bad.  Apparently she's caught a cold whilst away, I hope it's nothing worse.

The Boss is preparing lunch and then I'll probably settle down and watch some bicycling.

Afraid not with the watering duties. Even with quite heavy down pours pots and tubs do not receive enough. This is especially true with hanging baskets. The only advantage of damp weather is that the plants don't dry out as fast but they still need water.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3