The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Post office might be a bit busy at the moment sh!t shovelling at the enquiry. If it's Royal Mail then they are running around like headless chickens trying to get rid of all the postal votes they couldn't be ar#ed to deliver.

My Postal Voting Pack arrived last Tuesday (25th June), my voting card told me to expect it on the 21st.  I completed it the same day and posted it on the 26th.  Hopefully it will have arrived by the 3rd July...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I think I mentioned here the joys of Facebook 3D printer groups  and how the simplest question just blows up into name calling and outrage...?

Heres one from earlier today. Jeez, I spend  just 10 minutes on Facebook then I always feel like I  have to scrub the inside of my head out. 

Screenshot(401).png.f7edae889192b1ab4d7da96d931dca48.png

Ah, the joys of Facebook! I closed my accounts for Facebook and Linkedin quite a while ago and never missed either. Linkedin was kind of forgettably inoffensive in being largely a platform for lower wrung social climbers and sales people to indulge in shameless self promotion. However Facebook can be a sewer. What really turned me off was my feed was so clogged up with garbage it was difficult to see the stuff that interested me (and don't get me started on their seeming unwillingness to police dodgy outfits selling counterfeit junk). Facebook should be great for me, I'm living in a foreign land with family and friends all round the world but it became useless as a platform for keeping in touch with friends and family. We now use WhatsApp groups instead which works much better but is more closed. The upside of it being closed is people can be more candid than a public platform, the downside is you lose the contact with less close friends and associates.

I also tend to ignore 'experts'. This may sound stupid and a bit Michael Gove-ish, but I am interested in several hobbies which are either quite techie or which attract serious enthusiasts. Audio, photography, model trailways and also a bit of cycling. Ask an audiophile for advice about an amplifier or speakers  and you can very quickly descend into an alternative universe of full on swivel eyed bonkersness populated by angry people who 'know' their highly subjective opinion is not only right but that anyone with a different opinion should be shot. Ditto cameras. You'll enter a world where buying new gear every 6 weeks transforms your photography, bonkers ranting about why anything less than full frame is junk, how going from a 40MP to a 60MP sensor is night and day blah blah blah. And we all know how some people can end up looking bonkers on the subject of model railways. I find that reviews aimed at casual users are more useful than 'serious' ones as they tend to focus on stuff that might matter to most users than pushing borderline mad opinions.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I also tend to ignore 'experts'. 

You know the derivation of the word expert don't you?

two roots:

Ex - something that has been

spurt - a drip under pressure.

• Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

@TheQVery sorry to hear about Ben. Always looked forward to hearing about his daily walks.

Had an email from Royal Mail about 45 minutes ago saying they would attempt to deliver my parcel today……, they said that yesterday! Double Pah!

Edited by grandadbob
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

find that reviews aimed at casual users are more useful than 'serious' ones as they tend to focus on stuff that might matter to most users than pushing borderline mad opinions

True. Finding someone’s opinions that are based on rational criteria is very refreshing, especially if they aren’t trying to  sell you something. I tried researching how to test the electric radiator fan in a 2012 Fiesta recently. Once upon a time there would have been YouTube videos of someone in their driveway showing what to do. Now you get videos showing how to buy a Bluetooth equipped OBD dongle and app for a phone. I gave up looking and asked my brother.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

And here was me thinking July might be something called "Summer".

Plenty of "summer" on this side of the pond. It is quite lovely right now - today should see 26°C.

This year the Independence Day holiday lands on a Thursday making a de facto four-day weekend or many. The long weekend forecast is:

THU - 34°C

FRI - 38°C

SAT - 40°C

SUN - 37°C

MON - 34°C

It will be well over a century in l/s/d°.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Ben the for ever resting Collie,

1/1/2011 ish to 7/7/2024

image.png.c5d796f374657de7a3cb187c15cdb517.png

Very sorry to hear the news of Ben Q

Alan

• Agree 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Bother.

There seems to be sky-widdle descending.  And here was me thinking July might be something called "Summer".  

Summer was last week.

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

My Postal Voting Pack arrived last Tuesday (25th June), my voting card told me to expect it on the 21st.  I completed it the same day and posted it on the 26th.  Hopefully it will have arrived by the 3rd July...

Actually postal votes are accepted right up until the polls shut.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The Q, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, I know you will miss Ben very much.

I've always enjoyed reading your posts about him, I'll miss those too.

David

• Agree 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

@TheQ Sorry to hear of the loss of Ben the for ever resting Collie. I always loved to see his daily Titles.

Just keep him in your heart, eh.

• Like 1
  • Agree 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Hroth said:

Asbestos was even incorporated in some brands of lino tiles too.  Unless they really do have to be lifted, they're best left in situ …

We had roll linoleum on the kitchen floor and were told that, by its age, it probably had asbestos in it. So we just had the new (engineered wood) floor laid on top of it.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

And the helicopters of course which are now a private fully-commercial concern … 

Are they still crewed mostly by ex-RN pilots from Culdrose?

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2